Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Writer's Block

Old March 2nd, 2008, 7:12 pm
First Year

Re: Writer's Block

I currently have writer's block. I was going to start a whole new thread for the sole purpose of asking for ideas for my fanfiction...but then I came upon this thread and it helped a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugForLupin View Post
Go on the internet, and read what your character names mean (you may get a storyline idea).
That bit of advice especially intrigued me, so I decided to try it. I came up with this:

My Characters

Aura--Glowing Light
Estella (Main character)--Star
Allan--Little Rock
Harper--Harp Player
Eben--Stone of Help
Marcella--Young Warrior
Pepin--Determined

I can definitely see something coming out of that! What, I don't know yet...but I'm sure my creative mind will think of something.

I'm pretty glad I stumbled across this thread....

He suspected she was an endangered species: brazen, beautiful, and blissfully unaware of her power...
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2008, 7:56 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I had a teacher once tell us one way to combat writer's block is to not wait until you get to the end to walk away. In other words, don't wait until you've run out of ideas for the day to walk away, that will help create more writer's block.

Sometimes when I have writer's block I force myself to write five lines. It may be bad writing and may be stuff I'll scrap, but it helps to move the story and get me out of the spot that's giving me trouble. These five lines may be crummy dialogue or description of the setting or characters, but it helps me a lot.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old March 25th, 2008, 3:33 pm
Sixth Year

I don't write much because I can never think of anything to write . I can't even think of where to begin. And anything that I start I never finish. I think that if I could get a good idea and a good start on things I would be OK. But so far no luck.

So I'll just surf around CoS all day. That's alright with me!

Old April 11th, 2008, 5:48 pm
First Year

Someone gave me really good advice about writers block, and its helped alot . it was to not think about it, just get away and try to forget it, cuz your not gonna get any new ideas when your just sitting their wondering why you cant. Distractions really help like hanging with friends or just taking a walk, clear your mind, the best ideas come when your not trying to come up with something. Tv and music works for some people,( i usually would just write the same plot from a television show,once i wrote the whole plot to the series Lost. and i didnt notice until i read over it. ) but it might work for you, but basically not going crazy about it helps,( but ill admit to going crazy a few times over writers block and it does not help) dont stress it. Theres always ideas in your head, not driving your self crazy makes it easier for them to come through. Hope it helps someone, i know how bad writers block can suck. :]

Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real? - Albus Dumbledore
Old April 11th, 2008, 9:56 pm
Banned

I'm in writer's block right now unfortunatly. I'm writing a story called Anya. It's about a royal family in India. They are suddenly overthrown from ruling India and...I probally shouldn't say anymore it'll ruin the story for you all. Your just going to have to wait intill probally the begining of May for me to put my story on here. Anyway's I'm stuck about where they should go. I'm thinking that they should live with the common people of India, but then again shouldn't rulers who have been overthrown flee to another country?

Old May 17th, 2008, 2:36 pm
Zonko's Employee

I've had writer's block on my current story which seems to have lasted forever. I keep writing my next chapter but am always really unsatisfied with it. I've been writing for the writing contest instead, and will enter the HP one next round. Just so I can keep writing and hopefully I'll be able to actually get a decent version of that chapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
I'm in writer's block right now unfortunatly. I'm writing a story called Anya. It's about a royal family in India. They are suddenly overthrown from ruling India and...I probally shouldn't say anymore it'll ruin the story for you all. Your just going to have to wait intill probally the begining of May for me to put my story on here. Anyway's I'm stuck about where they should go. I'm thinking that they should live with the common people of India, but then again shouldn't rulers who have been overthrown flee to another country?
Just a suggestion but why not make your characters go through the indecision? You might actually find they decide what they do for you

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old May 18th, 2008, 2:38 am
First Year

I read somewhere that someone cured a lot of their writer's block by putting a movie in and putting in on mute while they were writing. when they got stuck, they looked at the movie, what was going on, what was being said.

Me, when I get writer's block, I sleep and hope I have dreams, take a shower, watch a few certain movies that seem to get my muses back on track. Most often than not, I write a short short about some completely random topic, or I take my Main Characters and I write short stories with them to bring out another side, or do character plots with them. Anything to keep writing. I guess you could say I out-write writer's block... but it's hard.

Felis Draconis Among The Tame NaNoWriMo 2008

My Story, Non-HP---------> The Hands Of The Poet Please read and and leave feedback. Or I'll sick the Antonym on you!
Old May 20th, 2008, 8:51 pm
First Year

I've got writers block at the moment, so I'm just trying to write anything I can, and see where it takes me. Even writing random short stories can give you ideas for your main story.

I've also found it helps to write something that reflects your mood at the time, so if you're angry, write something dark and if you're happy, write something funny or silly.

Hope this helps.

'Nana

dum spiro, spero

Shameless self promoting...
Carpe Diem - [Complete]
Fire Burns - 29.12.09
Fallen Angel - 06.04.15
Old May 21st, 2008, 4:55 am
Third Year

Music definately helps alot. I bought a CD which is all this WW2 music, and I've got a whole chapter, AND an idea to run with throughout the whole book. Plus, listening to a song atm, I've come up with the scene in which my MC relaises that she's in love...

Old May 22nd, 2008, 9:03 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
Sometimes when I have writer's block I force myself to write five lines. It may be bad writing and may be stuff I'll scrap, but it helps to move the story and get me out of the spot that's giving me trouble. These five lines may be crummy dialogue or description of the setting or characters, but it helps me a lot.
I think that's the best way to combat writer's block. I always use a technique called 'predictable outcome' and it's similar to the method you mention. It's very easy - when you've got writer's block, just go on and write about what's supposed to happen. For instance, your character is at home, waiting for something to happen (maybe you already planned it and now you don't know how it needs to happen or something). Well, then you start describing the things that he/she ought to do - cook dinner, clean the house, whatever, as long as it is 'natural' for that person to do that at that time.
Eventually, you'll get into the writing 'mood' and your inspiration/muse will kick in and suddenly, you'll know how the story has to continue.

It usually works for me because it keeps me writing and it helps me to develop new ideas.

Also, I wonder in how many instances you've really got writer's block? It often happens that I don't know how to go on anymore, but it's not like I can't write anything - I can still use that 'predictable outcome' thing, after all.

You could say that I've got writer's block at the moment because I'm currently taking my finals and I can't write when I'm very stressed but if I forced myself, I could still write as many words as I wanted... So, perhaps that also helps - denying that you've got writer's block.

Writer's block, after all, doesn't mean that you don't know what to write, writer's block is the inability to write anything at all... As long as you can still write posts on this forum, you don't have writer's block, do you? I mean, when saying that you've got writer's block, it's often a valid excuse for yourself to not to write. But if you don't really have writer's block, there's no excuse anymore?

Writing is all about getting it done, about sitting down and taking your time to finish a story... Many people start a book, but there are only a few who actually finish it. So, it's about beginning, continuing and finishing.

Of course, you will need to worry about quality in the end - if you want to get it published. However, there's no need to fuss about detaild when it's still your first draft...

(You might recognize some of the NaNoWriMo reasoning in this post. However, NaNoWriMo is the greatest way to discover that real writer's block doesn't exist... So if you often suffer from it, try participating ).

Old May 23rd, 2008, 3:27 am
Third Year

also, if you're stuck on one part, write another and link it in later. That's what I do. I may have written fifty odd pages of my novel, but that doesn't mean it's consectutive. I have ideas left right and centre!

So don't feel that you have to write it alll one after the other. Writing is about spontaneity, it's fun!

*cheers ringing through the building!*

Yeah, so that may help some!

Old May 27th, 2008, 1:45 pm
First Year

I haven't written for weeks now...I really should get back to it.

But anyway, for writers block I normally watch TV or I read...that always tends to give me ideas.

Old November 2nd, 2008, 5:36 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israely_Wizard View Post
What you need to do if you're having Writers' Block is... go to sleep!
Yes, it may seem crazey, but I get my greatest ideas from my dreams (or maybe it's just me; I have realy weird dreams)
Not just you!! My most successful and innovative stories have come from my dreams =) Plus then you’ve watched them like a movie in your head and you can get really good descriptions! Yet another reason to go to sleep…I’ve been fighting a really tough writer’s block, and I think it was because I haven’t been taking care of myself. I’ve got school…and work…and no sleep because of homework. So I couldn’t exactly express myself on the page when I was so tired all the time. Make sure you rest your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnypotter19 View Post
Showers are also a big help. They are relaxing, but so is laying there in a nice breeze, I don't know why, but wind seems to help me write, mostly because it relaxes me.
This is true =) I love the wind, and i love writing in a storm. sometimes if we have a big storm coming in, i go sit in this house that isn't finished yet, so the whind whistles through all the cracks, and you can hear the rain really well. it's pretty cool

"'She was there-expecting me, naturally...she hopped down from the high stool at the counter as soon as i walked in and came directly toward me...and the emotions that were emanating from her were like nothing i'd ever felt before. 'you've kept me waiting a long time,' she said.
I hadn't realized Alice had come to stand behind me again. "And you ducked your head, like a good southern gentleman, and said, 'i'm sorry, ma'am.'" Alice laughed at the memory.
Jasper smiled down at her. "You held out your hand, and i took it without stopping to make sense of what i was doing. For the first time in almost a century, i felt hope." (page 301 Eclipse Stephenie Meyer

*Image from twilightersanonymous !!*
Old November 4th, 2008, 6:07 am
First Year

It has been a rule in some fiction writers if you would write one to- "show don't tell"
But some college students even were caught in some delirious confusion of how to really apply the rule. this might also be the primary faults in amateur fiction writers..

It has been a rule in some fiction writers if you would write one to- "show don't tell"
But some college students even were caught in some delirious confusion of how to really apply the rule. This might also be the primary faults encountered by some amateur fiction writers..

Reading a lot facilitates in writing well..

toodles for everybody!!!

Old November 6th, 2008, 9:44 pm
Third Year

hey does journaling help anybody??

"'She was there-expecting me, naturally...she hopped down from the high stool at the counter as soon as i walked in and came directly toward me...and the emotions that were emanating from her were like nothing i'd ever felt before. 'you've kept me waiting a long time,' she said.
I hadn't realized Alice had come to stand behind me again. "And you ducked your head, like a good southern gentleman, and said, 'i'm sorry, ma'am.'" Alice laughed at the memory.
Jasper smiled down at her. "You held out your hand, and i took it without stopping to make sense of what i was doing. For the first time in almost a century, i felt hope." (page 301 Eclipse Stephenie Meyer

Old November 7th, 2008, 4:49 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermi0nechik92 View Post
hey does journaling help anybody??
what do you mean by "journaling"? If you mean journalism, it certainly does help.

Old November 7th, 2008, 5:29 pm
Third Year

I mean, when you're stuck in a writer's block for a long time, does journaling (like just writing down your stream of thought...kind of mind babble) help? Recount your day a little, clear your head??

Old November 8th, 2008, 4:55 am
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

When I'm blocked, I read. I let myself get lost in other people's fantastical worlds and characters. Then when I come back to deal with my own, it feels fresh and exciting again.

I don't ever try to make myself write. When the words are there, they come out easy.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:26 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israely_Wizard View Post
What you need to do if you're having Writers' Block is... go to sleep!
Yes, it may seem crazey, but I get my greatest ideas from my dreams (or maybe it's just me; I have realy weird dreams)
I have gotten some amazing ideas from dreams before, too many for me to really write into stories .

And actually, for me, I don't even need to go to sleep, my brain starts going into crazy mode in the middle of the night , except I just have to decipher my writing and grammar and spelling in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
Is it weird that diary entries don't help me get over writer'sblock at all? I've heard people say that over and over, but usually when I have writer's block, I can't even write a diary entry. I usually just set it down and came back to it later when/if I have time and motivation again.

Dry-erase markers work on windows and mirrors too. That's a really good idea!
Dry erase markers are the best, I used to use them to doodle in class .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione View Post
I don't write much because I can never think of anything to write . I can't even think of where to begin. And anything that I start I never finish. I think that if I could get a good idea and a good start on things I would be OK. But so far no luck.

So I'll just surf around CoS all day. That's alright with me!
exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_eye34 View Post
But some college students even were caught in some delirious confusion of how to really apply the rule. this might also be the primary faults in amateur fiction writers..

But some college students even were caught in some delirious confusion of how to really apply the rule. This might also be the primary faults encountered by some amateur fiction writers..

Reading a lot facilitates in writing well..

toodles for everybody!!!
I never got the whole show, don't tell thing. I know it means detail, but in the end, you're still telling

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old February 7th, 2009, 4:04 am
Second Year

Reading a book that I haven't all ready read helps me get an idea. Like if there was a a baby doing something weird it might lead to a puppy or kitten ect. doing something totaly diffrent.

But watching a movie does help A LOT! Maybe even the title of a movie, song, book, ect. may help you get an idea.

Poor iphone...

"Feel the fear and do it anyway because even though it's not too late now, someday it will be."
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner