Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Writer's Block

Old October 7th, 2007, 12:23 pm
Sixth Year

Writer's Block

I seem to find myself struggling with Writer's Block on a regular basis - and I really cannot think of a way to combat it.

Anyone have any tips?

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2007, 3:50 pm
Student

Re: Writer's Block

These are some of the things I do -

Watch TV (you never know what you may pick up)
Call your friends (always helps me)
Go for a walk on your own (quiet is a great place to think)
Go on the internet, and read what your character names mean (you may get a storyline idea).

It's what I do, and it always helps me!

Old October 7th, 2007, 4:35 pm
Second Year

well when i babysat this summer, i used to work on my book sometimes because the kid i was babysittting was going into the sixth grade, when i got writer's block, this kid liked coming up to me, holding random objects or doing odd movements. it actually help a lot.

another thing that helps me is to cut the lawn. odd, i know. but i always get lots of ideas from it.

In denial that JKR didn't win TIME's Person of the Year!
She did come in first in the online votes!

I'm part of the 8% of teens that rock out every day.

It's not anywhere close to being enough, but Thank You Jo!
Old October 7th, 2007, 4:59 pm
First Year

What you need to do if you're having Writers' Block is... go to sleep!
Yes, it may seem crazey, but I get my greatest ideas from my dreams (or maybe it's just me; I have realy weird dreams)

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." Jedi Master Yoda, Star Wars I - The Phantom Menace

CauldronNewt
11 3/4 in. Black Walnut with Phoenix Feather core, Unyielding
Proud Hufflepuff
Old October 7th, 2007, 5:04 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israely_Wizard View Post
Yes, it may seem crazey, but I get my greatest ideas from my dreams (or maybe it's just me; I have realy weird dreams)
Yeah, I get ideas from dreams too!

I have tried watching a movie...and that does help sometimes, as does going for a walk to clear my head, but lately the head-clearing just doesn't seem to last for very long!

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old October 7th, 2007, 5:40 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I could have swore your age said 17 the other day, sooooooo....

!!!

Alright, about writers block, what I generally do is read magazines. If you want your character to go through something kind of exciting or something kinda sad, such as if this actress got a new necklace your character can find this necklace that used to belong to your queen and the wearer cannot take it off until they find the queen, but each passing day it gets tighter and tighter. *I just thought about that, hmmm, sounds really good. I may use that, *

Play an instrument or listen to music. Normally I play my music because listening to it and you can get a whole bunch of interruptions. At least here my family know not to bug me when I'm practicing. If you play or listen to music it can set you in a mood, sad, happy, or possibly angry *which I find getting angry at trying to learn a new song for the first time * and something might acur to you in this process.

Look at your surroundings. I purposely painted my room *where I normally write* green because my story takes place mostly in a wood. I have flowers, pumpkins, trees, and all sorts of little things that I keep as knick knaks to help me feel as if I'm there, and whatever I may be feeling at the time I can write for my character because, I admit, I do base some of me in there. If I do not write in my room, we have a nature walk trail that is a wood, and I love going there.

These are my three main helpers. If they don't help with you at all I'll come back with more.

Please check out my non-Harry Potter story Elmandoroth Chapter Two is finished.

Old October 7th, 2007, 8:42 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
The 1/4 of my writings exist because I have so crazy dreams/daydreams, that I have the need to write something based on them!

My Dark Lord? Sorry I disturb you,
but Muggles have started catching up with us...

My Harry Potter fanart
My deviantart page
Old October 8th, 2007, 7:38 am
First Year

Hmm....watching a movie may help but usually if i have writer'
s block,i know it sounds dumb,i just wait it out,for something to happen,some sort of realisation...

Old October 8th, 2007, 2:43 pm
Fourth Year

Hmmm, I tried that, that's also a reason why I've been writing a seventeen chaptered book for three years.

Old October 8th, 2007, 4:19 pm
Rex's Mummy

I always found that I get great ideas when I'm showering. I know, it's really weird, but for some reason, that's where I seem to think of things. Maybe it's because I tend to take really long showers, like 30 minutes sometimes. It's very relaxing, and maybe it's just me, I'm not sure, but I've always found this to work. So that's my tip: take a shower.

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Old October 8th, 2007, 5:18 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnypotter19 View Post
Sorry if I'm wrong, but I could have swore your age said 17 the other day, sooooooo....

!!!
Thanks, but I had my birthday back in July

Anyway, IMissPadfoot, don't worry about Writers' Block; I don't. The thing is, Writers' Block is just like a coming-of-age-stage for writers.
The way I avoid Writers' Block is that I dont give myself Dedlines or number of chapters (but maybe that doesn't go as well for profesional writers or screenwriters as it does for me)

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." Jedi Master Yoda, Star Wars I - The Phantom Menace

CauldronNewt
11 3/4 in. Black Walnut with Phoenix Feather core, Unyielding
Proud Hufflepuff
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:56 pm
Fourth Year

See, I told you I may be wrong. I could have swore it said seventeen the other day, .

Showers are also a big help. They are relaxing, but so is laying there in a nice breeze, I don't know why, but wind seems to help me write, mostly because it relaxes me.

Old October 9th, 2007, 12:12 am
Second Year

Firstly, I hate writer's block because it does render me completely useless. But one this I do is play solitaire or spider solitaire and just think whilst you play the game. Another thing I do that doesn't really work, but I think is worth mentioning, is that I scream in my head.Maybe actually screaming would help

Thanks for the other tip, you guys you're life savers

check out my fics: Beyond the skies and feedback here, Beyond Reach and feedback here, A Heart's Treasure - one shots and feedback here my sequel Forever Charmed and feedback here and my other next gen fic Setting the Example and feedback here check out these people's fics: celtmama , blue_rose, Beki14, IMissPadfoot, ASM , blue3ski, remusfan, sheilajsn, blood_river, Scamantha, Psyche3, marianna58, baseballblondie, scd, marauderfan, Melaszka, PotterLove07, Fury, Pollux_Black, styphon and USNAGator91. I'm THE Clown of IBP, KEBA, DWW + BLD.
Old October 9th, 2007, 4:24 am
Fourth Year

it seems i'm on an almost constant state of writer's block these days...however....

take a shower. i don't know how it works; it just does. it's incredibly strange. sometimes i come up with lines or little blurbs that i scribble down later and look back on about a week later and say "aha! now i have a story to fit!!"

although nowadays it's mostly fanfiction...kinda like this one neville/luna idea i have that comes around every time i listen to Stupid Boy by keith urban....i really need to write that down, speaking of which....

"Things are never quite as scary when you're with your best friend."
My deviantART page:

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
"Writers are an ornery lot, and apt to run off in the oddest directions when you give them an idea." -Bruce Coville
Old October 9th, 2007, 5:30 am
Fourth Year

OK, a tip for if you do get your ideas in the shawer or while you're in bed asleep.

There are these things that Sesimi Street come out with and they're crayons that you can write on the bathroom walls with, and are completely washable! Scribble down you're ideas. As for in bed, buy some window chalk, or use the crayons, they work on windows too! - for ideas you have.

Hope that helps.

Old October 9th, 2007, 7:56 pm
First Year

For some reason I always think of new ideas on long bus/car/train journeys when theres nothing to do but sit, listen to music and think. It works better when I'm going through beautiful countryside because I can imagine it as a setting.

Similarly, just walking around listening to music helps generate ideas too (although I do often end up tripping over because I stop concentrating on where I'm going.)

And, for the artistically inclinded, I find drawing quite a good, loose way of thinking of new characters. I draw a person, think "hey, they look interesting" and invent their entire back story.

In saying all this, I havent written anything in ages, really. Or I'll start a story and give up soon after because I cant see where its going to go.

Old October 10th, 2007, 12:54 am
Second Year

i found this website and article if anyone is interested. it's about handling writer's block:

Handling Writer's Block

it has some good tips and advice. hope it helps some of you!

In denial that JKR didn't win TIME's Person of the Year!
She did come in first in the online votes!

I'm part of the 8% of teens that rock out every day.

It's not anywhere close to being enough, but Thank You Jo!
Old October 13th, 2007, 3:29 am
Unspeakable

Is it weird that diary entries don't help me get over writer'sblock at all? I've heard people say that over and over, but usually when I have writer's block, I can't even write a diary entry. I usually just set it down and came back to it later when/if I have time and motivation again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnypotter
OK, a tip for if you do get your ideas in the shawer or while you're in bed asleep

There are these things that Sesimi Street come out with and they're crayons that you can write on the bathroom walls with, and are completely washable! Scribble down you're ideas. As for in bed, buy some window chalk, or use the crayons, they work on windows too! - for ideas you have.

Hope that helps.
Dry-erase markers work on windows and mirrors too. That's a really good idea!

Old October 13th, 2007, 10:02 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
Is it weird that diary entries don't help me get over writer'sblock at all? I've heard people say that over and over, but usually when I have writer's block, I can't even write a diary entry. I usually just set it down and came back to it later when/if I have time and motivation again.

Dry-erase markers work on windows and mirrors too. That's a really good idea!
Yeah, I have younger sibs to thank for it too.

Diary entries huh? I always found that they work for me, though, I normally speak in it as if I'm a narrorater and not me, and it's more of my 'dream diary'. I interpret anything that happens and add a little twist to it. You know, like mom was really mean to me today. . .

Dear Diary, *don't ask me why I talk in letter form, just habbit! *

As she walked up to the tiny, shambled shack, she realized that the queen would be in their waiting for her to speak about the dreadful school of hers.. . .

And on, and on. Yes, it's actually an interresting read!

Old October 17th, 2007, 12:16 am
Third Year

When I have Writer's Block, I either: go do something else, maybe sleep on it, whatever, or I ask for help from my friends (like I'm doing right now . I need to write a horror, and my best friend is now giving me her pitch for the surprise ending I'm struggling with)

~~Proud Owner of J.K.Rowling's Autograph~~

Fanfiction.net: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 2 Avatar fics posted)
Fictionpress.com: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 1 General fic posted)
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner