Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Are you published? (Writer's Corner)

Old March 29th, 2010, 6:25 pm
Second Year

Re: Are you published? (Writer's Corner)

I've got an idea for a story, and I'd rather not give any details on here, but I've never been published. My idea is really great, and it's something I'd really like to get published soon, however, I haven't gotten down to serious writing and researching yet. I have made a very poorly written backbone, but it has to be really edited, and I just don't have the time at the moment...

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2010, 10:29 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

I'm a published nonfiction writer - mostly on film and business. I've contributed film analysis and production histories to 4-5 books. I've written a bunch of features, columns, and interviews for a business trade magazine. And I've written a bunch of features, group pieces, and reviews for some film magazines.

I'm just starting to play with fiction - mainly because I have enjoyed trying my hand at it in the Deathly Hallows contest on CoS. But I'm definitely not a published fiction writer.

When it comes to fiction, I'm an absolute beginner.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old June 3rd, 2010, 9:33 pm
Second Year

I'm happy to say that, a couple of weeks ago, my first novel, 'The Scent of Jasmine' was published.

The best way to describe it is as a supernatural/murder/mystery/romance.

Its only available, mail order, in the UK from Completely Novel and costs 6.49 (+ postage) in the UK, $10.99 (+postage) in the US

The greatest act can be one little vicotry
Old July 13th, 2010, 5:54 pm
First Year

Yes. The first volume of my manga series, Koden, has been published. It's available at www.hanepress.com or at www.artofkoden.com (I have a special offer on www.artofkoden.com). I am posting teaser chapters on the ArtofKoden website if you want to take a peak.

Hane Press, my publisher, is also currently accepting submissions.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 3:00 am
First Year

I have been published in a couple of literary magazines, a poetry anthology, and some local newspaper articles to make a little extra money, but most of my published work is poetry.
I actually just finished a writing internship with some other writers and we compiled our work into a literary magazine called The Atlas.
It will be out on August 11th to order here.
I would love to eventually have my own novel published also! I love writing fiction.

Old September 1st, 2010, 12:33 am
First Year

I've got two books that are set to be published in December!

Both are with LazyDay Publishing.

One is a YA Steampunk novel and the other is a children's fantasy about a Guardian Angel.

In the middle of working through the edits for the childrens fantasy

Old September 1st, 2010, 12:54 am
Second Year

Soon. ;D I'm searching for an agent. -crosses fingers- I've gotten promising feedback at least.

www.wizardinglife.com

"What do you mean I'm not brave in bed?!"
-Harry Potter [OTP]

"Accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often."
-Albus Dumbledore [HBP]
Old September 1st, 2010, 8:10 pm
First Year

I've got a draft of a novel written, that I want to get published. However due to school catching up with me (Leaving Cert year D, it's been put on the back burner until next summer.

Old November 4th, 2010, 4:01 pm
Second Year

Wow, congratulations to everyone who got a book published!
I've had a few pieces published in Teen Ink, and I'm hoping to get more in.

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Old November 14th, 2010, 4:02 am
Second Year

A very short story I wrote about the Spanish Inquisition was published in a little book that compiled stories written by teenagers. It was a competition, where the idea was to write a story that spoke about dignity, discrimination and/or respect. It a was a contest held in honour of Anne Frank, but it didn't have to be about the second world war. Don't know if that counts, but still

Old November 22nd, 2010, 2:26 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
I had an essay (a really bad essay) published in a book that compiled essays from fans around the world, which was brought out by Wizarding World Press in 2004, after MuggleNet and CoS ran a contest for entries. Mine may have sucked, but the rest were seriously amazing.
There's an Amazon page for it, here.
That book is sitting on my bookshelf. You're so famous!

And on the topic of this thread, I've had a poetry chapbook published by a local press in Scotland, which is pretty cool. And I'm getting a poem published in an anthology soon which I get actual royalties for, which is exciting. Shame that poem is definitely not my best though...

love from Zuri
R A V E N C L A W <3

Old November 29th, 2010, 4:37 pm
Second Year

Does being the lyricist for a song performed at a university concert count? I think that's the closest I've come. I've been encouraged by some of my teachers to get my writing published, but I haven't gotten up the gumption to do it.

Old July 18th, 2011, 12:20 am
First Year

Just recently published for a young adult novel of mine! If you'd like to read it or check out it's reviews, head over here.

Old July 29th, 2011, 2:14 pm
First Year

Not published - yet! - but I do write for my company blog. I was even able to write a post related to Harry Potter!

http://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/b...-harry-potter/

I hope to write many more to come!

Old August 7th, 2011, 5:09 pm
First Year

Well all you have to do is either 1: Find a publishing building in your area 2:bring in your composition os mail it to them with a additional for contact and synopsis of your composition, 3:Shut up and listen to who is helping you. Even if I am not published I read the school story by Andrew Clements enough times to know the dealio.

I am going to try to get a short story of all the ways to make an impression with socks. I am quite a sock person. If my socks matched, my reputatoin would be nonexsistent. I think this woukd be an interesting backbone to a story. Well, since I think faster than I write I must record my ideas and then write them. Also listening to the words beind spoken will help make heads and tails of things.

Old August 12th, 2011, 7:39 pm
Registered Animagus

I would like to suggest that if you are considering writing as a career, you bring yourself up to date with what is happening in the publishing industry.

It's not enough to write, although writing well should always be your first concern. Like any other creative artist, you need to sell yourself. Practice writing dynamite query letters. Even if you decide not to go the traditional route, this will help in honing your blurb writing skills.

Before querying an agent, make sure you know what genres that agent is accepting. You don't want to send off your sci-fi epic to an agent that leans toward cozy mysteries. Also read their submissions requirements carefully and follow them to the letter.

Indie publishing is the new wave and gives you a lot more freedom to get your work in front of the reading public. While you have more flexibility, you also have more accountability.

First, spell check. This may seem basic, but I did a beta read of a manuscript several months ago where the author hadn't bothered.

Beta readers are your best friends. They aren't professional editors, but they can catch things that the author misses. I was the sixth beta reader (three alphas before that) on another book and I caught several errors and a big plot hole.

Finally, short stories can hone your writing skills but are a very tough sell. Keep writing them by all means. You may eventually write enough good ones to put together into an anthology.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

One other thing. Repeat this and remember it.

Money flows toward the writer.

Do not place your trust (or your dollars) in agents or publishers that ask for money.

Old August 17th, 2011, 4:09 am
First Year

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to these forums and am having a blast looking around. I see a lot of talented people hang here, so I thought I'd throw this out here. Dead Souls is an anthology of zombie short horror fiction, and my story, Gracie leads the collection off! If you're into horror check it out! Obviously, this collection is intended for teen and above horror lovers.

http://www.postmortem-press.com/dead-souls.php

Kindle
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Souls-ebook/ ... 751&sr=8-1

Print edition from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0615525040

Nook
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dead-so ... 1104757868

Old October 9th, 2011, 6:13 am
First Year

Good evening everyone,

I just wanted to take a quick moment to let everyone know about my new book series, The Noricin Chronicles. As a fellow Potterhead, I think that other Potter fans everywhere would be very interested in this series.

The series starts off with the story of Dan Regal, an orphan who on his twelfth birthday accidentally somehow sets the orphanage bully on fire without a match, or blowtorch or anything! After the mysterious incident, Dan receives a visit from an enigmatic, purple-eyed stranger by the name of Nevar Loeren. Mr. Loeren informs Dan that he is a member of a secret race of super-humans, known as the Norcinites. Before disappearing into thin air, Mr. Loeren informs Dan that he has been invited to attend the Steven Noricin School for the New Race, commonly known as Snisnar, where he will be trained to harness and control his newfound powers. As Dan embarks on a journey to discover his place in this new and exciting world, he will be faced with wonders and dangers he never could have imagined possible.

There are twelve books in The Noricin Chronicles, and the first four are currently available through Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc. Book 5, The Relics of Time, will be coming out in February of 2012.

I am currently running a fundraiser for Book Aid International (www.bookaid.org) a UK literacy charity that I believe many Potter fans should already be familiar with. Running until December 31st, I am making available a special hardcover omnibus edition of Books 1-4 of The Noricin Chronicles with jacket artwork designed by yours truly and I will be donating 100% of my royalties for this limited edition to Book Aid.

I should note that although the series starts off with a twelve year-old boy as the protagonist, the series as a whole is not intended for readers of all ages. The last four books in particular get extremely dark, and deal with some mature subject matter that some parents may not find appropriate for their younger readers. To brace readers for that, I included some occasional profanity and mild violence throughout the first eight books as well. If anyone has any questions about the subject matter in question (that does not require me to divulge in too many spoilers, of course), please feel free to contact me.

For more information about the books and the Book Aid fundraiser mentioned above, please feel free to visit my homepage, http://noricin.webs.com.

Old January 4th, 2012, 11:58 pm
First Year

Hey everyone! I've got a 4 part series i'm working on, and two of the books are already published. I do all the illustrations inside and oustide the book. Check it out. I've been working on this Sci-Fi/Fantasy series for years. http://www.lulu.com/product/paperbac...shelf/center/2

Old November 17th, 2012, 7:40 pm
First Year

My name is D.M. Andrews. I'm the author of several books, including one that might appeal very much to Harry Potter fans (it's on several "books similar to Harry Potter" lists). It's called The Serpent in the Glass and is aimed at the 9-12 age group, but many adults have also enjoyed it.

It's available on Amazon (Kindle and paperback), but you can find all the links to the novel under the cover image on my blog at www.writers-and-publishers.com

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner