Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Are you published? (Writer's Corner)

Old February 20th, 2008, 10:00 am
First Year

Re: Are you published? (Writer's Corner)

It's actually the hardest part of the job, to get a literary agent. Search for literary agents on Google or something. Trust me, you'll get about a hundred million or so, lol. Most literary agents are pretty adament about receiving submissions by snail mail... AKA, regular mail. So get ready to print up about fifty different query letters and fifty copies of the first few chapters or so. Literary agents request both of those to begin with, and if they like your work, they'll get back to you, requesting either more chapters of your manuscript or the manuscript in its entirety. Once they've taken you on, you're the closest to publishing as you'll get without being published. They look for the publisher for you, they help you on your deals, and pretty much make sure you don't get screwed over.

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2008, 4:08 am
Fourth Year

I don't know which is worse. Being published and not even owning the book it is published in, or not being completely sure if you're published! I wrote a poem and got so far in the contest they decided to put it in the book but I didn't have the money to buy the book and I've only seen the cover of the book it was supposed to be published in. Other than that, I think I have a poem published, .

Please check out my non-Harry Potter story Elmandoroth Chapter Two is finished.

Old February 26th, 2008, 8:54 pm
First Year

I have a self-published, non-fictio title available on the market... it is called

Reflections: Casting Stones

And I am currently working on another fiction book as well as another non-fiction.

Old March 6th, 2008, 10:38 pm
Second Year

I've only published here as far as fan fiction is concerned. I'd like to get published one day, and have been looking around on the internet on how to go about it. Thank you, HarryJPotter. I just need to know if the literary agent would need paying.

check out my fics: Beyond the skies and feedback here, Beyond Reach and feedback here, A Heart's Treasure - one shots and feedback here my sequel Forever Charmed and feedback here and my other next gen fic Setting the Example and feedback here check out these people's fics: celtmama , blue_rose, Beki14, IMissPadfoot, ASM , blue3ski, remusfan, sheilajsn, blood_river, Scamantha, Psyche3, marianna58, baseballblondie, scd, marauderfan, Melaszka, PotterLove07, Fury, Pollux_Black, styphon and USNAGator91. I'm THE Clown of IBP, KEBA, DWW + BLD.
Old March 10th, 2008, 7:20 am
First Year

Literary agents only require payment once you've gotten published. Any literary agent that asks for money before-hand is probably ripping you off, even if they're asking for money for "editing fees"... that kind of stuff is bullcrap. They shouldn't be asking for payment until after they've gotten your book published for you. Then, and only then, do they take money... normally 10-20% of your advance payment.

Old March 16th, 2008, 10:28 am
First Year

I made it, I'm on Wowio.com

Hello everyone

I hope I'm posting this in the right place, so please forgive if I'm not.

I just wanted to let everyone know that Tall Tails and The first Oswald comic;It Came Seeking Me; is now available on Wowio.com for download for free.

Just in case you don't know Wowio.com is an online bookstore where anyone with an account can download any of the books on the site for free.

The incentive for the creators is that the books come with ads that pay the creators for the viewing public.

I think it's a cool system, someone has come up with a way to adapt the TV model for literature and everyone benefits.

In about a week I'll have several of the Oswald pros books up on Wowio.com.

So please go and check out the books and let me know what you think.

The links below will take you directly to the books.

Thanks for the support.

The Oswald Chronicles: It Came Seeking Me
http://www.wowio.com/users/product.asp?BookId=3830

Tall Tails Thieves' Quest
http://www.wowio.com/users/product.asp?BookId=3816

Tall Tails the Peace Keepers #1
http://www.wowio.com/users/product.asp?BookId=3815

Thanks and take care all.

JD Calderon
Scribe / Publisher
www.DreamWeaverPress.com
www.TheOswaldChronicles.com

www.DreamWeaverPress.com
Old April 3rd, 2008, 1:50 am
Ultimate Dog Lover

Well, I've been published in many dog journals and magazines. I mainly write short stories, humor and satire in canine-related media.

Monday, I received my first book offer from a large Publishing house. I submitted some stories to them a while back, and they liked one of my short stories and wish to publish it in an anthology. I signed contracts and all kinds of documents on Monday to start the process. I should know by the end of May if all is on track and finalized. I'll announce the book publicly at that time.

I'm also working on two larger novels (one is just an idea and notes, the other further along). While they aren't *about* dogs, they may include a couple here and there.

I continue to write for mags and journals. Currently, my short stories have been published in over seven countries over the last several years in various canine-related publications.

This is a huge step from magazines and journals to national book publisher. If all goes well, my story will be nationally distributed by October, in time for Christmas.

(I even "squeee"d when I got the news). I'm very excited.

Hang in there, people! Keep trying and you may see it happen!! Don't get discouraged. It's tough to get a foot in the door.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
Old April 25th, 2008, 2:21 am
Second Year

I had my first book, Flagrant Foul, self-published through Lulu for a while. I have since taken it down so I could revise it. Other than that, I was a journalist for a while, first in college, then at one of the local newspapers. I've been thinking about talking to some of my old colleagues around town to get back into it...

Old June 9th, 2008, 6:52 pm
Fourth Year

My harry potter fanfiction was published in the Santa Barbara Newspress just before the seventh book came out. It was a fanfiction contest that I won along with others.

Last edited by Selene Sedai; June 10th, 2008 at 11:25 pm.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 3:18 am
Seventh Year

Technically my Thesis was published and is accessible both at the University and at the Library at my Uni. But otherwise no.

I'd have to finish something and submit it in order to get published.

Watch the show Supernatural! It's the best show to grace the TV screen in years. I PROMISE!
Old August 2nd, 2008, 3:46 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Technically, I'm published with fanfiction on the internet and a poem in my high school literary magazine 9 years ago. As for what I consider the real thing, no, I'm not there, yet, but I hope to be one day.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old August 10th, 2008, 7:55 pm
First Year

I don't know if this counts, but on rupertgrint.net, my Ron fanfic was published in their ezine Rupertised. I remember being so psyched when I found out. It's still up there to!

Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Qvack...

I wrote a diary for a local newspaper during my school exams.
And I like to write castigating letters to media groups. those are fun when they're published!

And I have a speech on the European Union's relevance floating around Soroptimist International Archives, which is pretty neat.

Other than that, fanfiction!

THE DUCK.

Old August 26th, 2008, 8:12 am
Third Year

I'm published all over the internet, but I don't like to count that, even if it's a site that selects stuff. And there's my school's literary magazine...of which I'm president/editor now.

As for the real thing, I've had poetry published in Teen Ink magazine and the Philadelphia Inquirer.

It's actually really easy to get poems, essays, and short stories published in Teen Ink....Most of the stuff you send they just put on their site, but if it gets in their magazine or their book, then it's really, really cool. So you should all check that out.

Old August 26th, 2008, 8:09 pm
Fifth Year

Technically, I've been published (in print), but authoring is not something I do regularly, or seek to do, though it sounds like fun.
Being a part time magician, (I go by the moniker "Mystician" in the magic world) I wrote a short piece - an idea, really - based on a bizarre prop (what appears to be 3 human ears, sometimes mixed with a monkey paw, or a toe) as created by grind showman Doug Higley.
My one page piece was published in "Midnight in the Dark Museum", a compilation of various effects based on these props. The book was then reviewed in MUM magazine, the official publication for the Society of American Magicians, where my particular entry, along with a few others, was singled out and reviewed favorably. The best part though is that I was in the company of much more accomplished magicians and authors.
That's my 15 minutes of authorship fame.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:12 pm
Secret Keeper

not a book or anything, but i have one poem in this book of stuff kids have written from all over the US, and a few chinese essays in books in china, does that count?

i doubt i'll get any book published for a good few decades

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 24th, 2008, 10:36 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_dragons View Post
I really wish I was, but I can never finish writing one book. I always start another and another and another and so on.
You sound like me! I keep starting and stopping books myself.

As for being published, I have a rather stupid poem I submitted a long time ago that got put in Kiwi Voices several years back. Honestly, it doesn't sound like a 13 year old wrote it; more like a seven year old. But somehow, it got in?

I also had one story published in an obscure newsletter that has probably disappeared into the black hole of forgotten history. Also school magazines and one school newsletter, but that probably doesn't count either.

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old September 24th, 2008, 11:25 pm
Secret Keeper

I'm going to be in newspaper club and write stories, how about that?

Im still trying to finish one of my books...but to no avail, i'm getting kind of tired of it. Well, not really that, I just don't feel like finishing it.

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 25th, 2008, 12:18 am
Fifth Year

I have one book I keep trying to write, and then delete everything, and then a month later wish I didn't throw it out. It is set in WW1, through the eyes of a war nurse, and I only did just parts of the whole. So I set myself a threat: if I throw the whole thing out again, I'll never get to see my first musical onstage. Now, that's a good enough self-threat for me.

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old September 25th, 2008, 10:52 pm
Secret Keeper

Well, I never throw any of my stuff out, except the pointless stuff my teachers make me write. Anyways, I still have this book of random short stories I wrote in second grade . They are um....kind of disturbing though...It is such a good thing that I never showed any of them to like anyone

My Deviantart Account

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner