Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Nagini: Character Analysis

Old September 14th, 2007, 9:31 am
Fifth Year

Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

The thing that has always worried me is, where was Nagini when 'the dark lord' was away? I mean, after the death of the Potters, and she was a Horcrux then.....where did she go, for those 13 years? Was she a Death Eaters' pet?...was she on the loose....I think a bloody big snake is going to be noticed, don't you?

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2007, 9:53 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright1771 View Post
The thing that has always worried me is, where was Nagini when 'the dark lord' was away? I mean, after the death of the Potters, and she was a Horcrux then.....where did she go, for those 13 years? Was she a Death Eaters' pet?...was she on the loose....I think a bloody big snake is going to be noticed, don't you?
Nagini became a horcrux via the murder of Bertha Jorkins. Thus she wasn't a horcrux for those 13 odd years. She was probably a normal snake when they met, most likely in Albania.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 14th, 2007, 1:48 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Nagini became a horcrux via the murder of Bertha Jorkins. Thus she wasn't a horcrux for those 13 odd years. She was probably a normal snake when they met, most likely in Albania.
I agree. I think they didn't meet until after Voldemort fell.

Old September 14th, 2007, 5:37 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
For a second, I thought 'excellent idea', but somehow, I believe that he already had her before his downfall. It's the way Dumbledore talks about her, and Voldemort's attachment to her. It sounds to me as if Nagini had already become a kind of 'trademark', or Dumbledore could hardly know how 'fond' Voldemort appears to be of her.

Old September 14th, 2007, 5:46 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal View Post
It sounds to me as if Nagini had already become a kind of 'trademark', or Dumbledore could hardly know how 'fond' Voldemort appears to be of her.
Between Harry telling Dumbledore about Voldemort (Nagini was at the graveyard and in his dreams etc) and Snape's information about Voldemort, I'm sure Dumbledore knew enough to realize how important she was.

Old September 14th, 2007, 8:10 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
Between Harry telling Dumbledore about Voldemort (Nagini was at the graveyard and in his dreams etc) and Snape's information about Voldemort, I'm sure Dumbledore knew enough to realize how important she was.
yaahhh... I know what you mean, I guess, but... Voldemort was famous for being a Parselmouth, and also for having a weakness for theatricals, so having some snake around, especially when welcoming back his Death Eaters, wouldn't come as a surprise. To conclude a particular liking out of this... Mmm... I don't know.

Old September 14th, 2007, 8:29 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

I really don't think that Voldemort knew her before he was in his weakened state in Albania. It seems as though that is where he met her and came to control her (in my opinion, of course) from the allusions to the animals he would sometimes possess while there.
I even think it was after the whole Quirrelmort thing when he was forced back there, otherwise he could have made Quirrel do what Wormtail did for him and help him get some form of a body back. But it seems this was not a possibility until Nagini came along.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old September 14th, 2007, 9:46 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
I even think it was after the whole Quirrelmort thing when he was forced back there, otherwise he could have made Quirrel do what Wormtail did for him and help him get some form of a body back. But it seems this was not a possibility until Nagini came along.
I agree and I think that when Voldemort failed to return in PS/SS and thus didn't get his hands on the elixir of life he had to search for alternatives.

Voldemort might have formed the plan in Albania that he could posses a snake and eventually live on her poison. He met Nagini when he was possessing other snakes and he liked her. He then met Pettigrew and possibly with his help he made her venomous or increased her size (depends on what kind of snake she was)

Then Nagini was milked and this made Voldemort stronger and must have increased their bond. Berta Jorkins showed up, Voldemort had become stronger and she was killed and Nagini turned into a horcrux. Now Voldemort had even more control over Nagini and knew she was maybe his best guarded horcrux, since she would almost never leave his side. That's how I think it might have happened.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 14th, 2007, 11:08 pm
Master Seer

That is an excellent point indeed.

Old September 19th, 2007, 11:46 pm
Third Year

Nagini - imperiused or possessed?

The Nagini attacks seem to vary a great deal. I don't know what kind of snake she is, but that seems less important than her manner. In OotP, Nagini seems possessed by LV, when Harry sees through her eyes, and sees 'himself' attack Arthur Weasley at the MOM. Yet in DH, Nagini seems to act on her own, to come out of Bathilda Bagshot's neck, to attack Harry. And in fact she calls LV, somehow. And Harry has no sense of LV while in this house, or in the presence of BB.

At Malfoy Manor, Charity Burbage was AK'd, then fed to Nagini. "Dinner!"

At the shrieking shack, LV directly ordered Nagini to attack Snape.

Were there other attacks by Nagini?

Did LV imperius Nagini to do his bidding when he couldn't be there himself?

Were there other times when Nagini seemed possessed by LV?

I know that LV spoke parseltongue, but Nagini seemed to have more sentience than other animals - was this merely possession or imperiusing?

Did the Naginicrux have anything to do with LV's control of her?

FGM

Old September 20th, 2007, 12:10 am
Sixth Year

Re: Nagini - imperiused or possessed?

i never really thought that Nagini was possesed. I think that she was just really close to Voldemort, LV is 'snake like' in a way and he speaks Parseltongue, so he was able to communictae to Nagini really well. She may be heavily influenced because of there, well i can't say they are alike, but he is snakelike. But i think Nagini acted on her own free will.

But possesed is a good idea, not sure though

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:17 am
Secret Keeper

I never thought Naginiwas imperiused, just close to Voldemort. I suspect his soul enhanced some things, and i doubt she was possessed, she just is a loving snake who happens to do bad things, lol,

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 20th, 2007, 12:21 am
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther View Post
The Nagini attacks seem to vary a great deal. I don't know what kind of snake she is, but that seems less important than her manner. In OotP, Nagini seems possessed by LV, when Harry sees through her eyes, and sees 'himself' attack Arthur Weasley at the MOM. Yet in DH, Nagini seems to act on her own, to come out of Bathilda Bagshot's neck, to attack Harry. And in fact she calls LV, somehow. And Harry has no sense of LV while in this house, or in the presence of BB.

I know that LV spoke parseltongue, but Nagini seemed to have more sentience than other animals - was this merely possession or imperiusing?

FGM
Well, they have a link as well, because Nagini and Harry are both living things, both Hrcxs.

Old September 20th, 2007, 12:25 am
Mad Hatter

Well, Nagini did have a piece of Voldemort's soul so it is possible that she was so willing to do his bidding based on this fact. I do not believe there would have been a need for an imperius curse in this case. The piece of soul far out weighs any type of control a spell could have, in my opinion.

Old September 20th, 2007, 12:44 am
First Year

I'm guessing he was controlling the Nagini like he controlled the Basilisk?

Old September 20th, 2007, 1:54 am
Fourth Year

I think it's more likely that Nagini's actions are the results of the piece of Voldemort's soul that has been put inside her, and not an imperius curse. Can animals be imperiused?

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old September 20th, 2007, 2:29 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseelf25 View Post
I think it's more likely that Nagini's actions are the results of the piece of Voldemort's soul that has been put inside her, and not an imperius curse. Can animals be imperiused?
It would seem they can, considering Barty Crouch Jr. demonstrated on spiders before on students.

As for an example directly related to Voldemort, the rabbit he killed... I have a feeling he did a sort of Imperius Curse on the rabbit to get it to hang itself. Remember Mrs. Cole's words (paraphrased) "It can't have just got up there and hung itself"

Dec. 31, 1927 - born.
1943-1944 - opens Chamber of Secrets, kills dad and grandparents
1944 - Creates first Horcrux
1971-1981 - Goes public, decimates Wizarding world
1995 - Reborn
Old September 20th, 2007, 2:35 am
Fourth Year

...Oh yeah. Totally forgot about those instances. Oops.

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old September 20th, 2007, 6:15 am
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther View Post

FGM
I personally think that Voldemort had to have been possessing Nagini when she attacked Arthur Weasley because I don't believe Harry would have been able access her mind like that. He shared a link with Voldemort, not Nagini. We never saw Harry enter any mind but Voldemort's, which also leads me to believe that if Voldemort ever possessed Nagini again, he was either employing occlumency or it wasn't for anything so emotionally engaging.
I do think that the soul piece had much to do with how well Nagini followed Voldemort's orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Ridley View Post
It would seem they can, considering Barty Crouch Jr. demonstrated on spiders before on students.

As for an example directly related to Voldemort, the rabbit he killed... I have a feeling he did a sort of Imperius Curse on the rabbit to get it to hang itself. Remember Mrs. Cole's words (paraphrased) "It can't have just got up there and hung itself"
I completely agree about animals being susceptible to the imperius curse. And I had never made that connection between the quote about the rabbit and controlling it. It makes so much sense, though!

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old September 20th, 2007, 3:20 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Quote:
I do think that the soul piece had much to do with how well Nagini followed Voldemort's orders.
I'm not sure if that is the case because Harry was also a Horcrux and Voldemort had no control over him. My guess is that even if Voldemort knew Harry was a Horcrux that he still would not be able to control him.

Quote:
I completely agree about animals being susceptible to the imperius curse. And I had never made that connection between the quote about the rabbit and controlling it. It makes so much sense, though!
This makes a lot of sense. Nagini was just a loyal pet (for as loyal as a snake can get), who was probably controlled by Voldemort with the Imperius curse.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies