Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Nagini: Character Analysis



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old September 12th, 2007, 5:55 am
mexicant's Avatar
mexicant  Female.gif mexicant is offline
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey
 
Joined: 4209 days
Location: perpetual disillusionment
Age: 32
Posts: 1,974
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Was LV possessing Nagini from afar at the time? Perhaps that's how she could understand English.

Nagini is tough to figure out whether she was nasty by nature or nasty by Voldy, or both.

Do we know from what "age" was Nagini Voldy's pet?
As far as I know, we haven't been given that information. I still think it is hard to call any animal good or bad in the same sense we think of the word simply by the nature of many animals. Many animals, unlike humans, have no choice but to kill to eat, yet I don't feel that makes them bad or evil. It is simply in their instincts and nature. Snakes especially often seem to fall victim to the kill or be killed life, which is why I believe so many of them often turn to cannibalism to stay alive. If that is all they can get, then so be it. They shouldn't have to answer to the same rules we do, I think.


__________________
"if we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong
buy a little time for this head of mine
haven for us..."


Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

avatar created by Moriath
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #42  
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:58 am
Hes's Avatar
Hes  Female.gif Hes is offline
Embroidered by imaginatio
 
Joined: 4928 days
Location: One second out of sync
Age: 36
Posts: 5,979
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
Yes, that's the part I meant. Nagini must have understood English or somehow know enough to fake it. I doubt Harry accidently spoke Parseltongue to her because Hermione was right there most of the time. Hermione would have known something was wrong if Harry wasn't talking to "Bathilda" in English.
I agree Hermione would have known straight away, so yes there was no parseltongue outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise
Do we know from what "age" was Nagini Voldy's pet?
I think that she wasn't his pet before Voldemort lost his body, don't know why though. I always imagined they met in Albania, where Voldemort possessed snakes, but he liked her better then others and thus she became his companion. But if she is a magical creation she could also have been his pet from before the attack on Harry and Voldemort looked her up when he came back to England in the company of Pettigrew.


__________________


"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."


Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:41 am
Tenshi's Avatar
Tenshi  Undisclosed.gif Tenshi is offline
She Who Walks Behind
 
Joined: 4854 days
Posts: 6,298
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I think that she wasn't his pet before Voldemort lost his body, don't know why though. I always imagined they met in Albania, where Voldemort possessed snakes, but he liked her better then others and thus she became his companion. But if she is a magical creation she could also have been his pet from before the attack on Harry and Voldemort looked her up when he came back to England in the company of Pettigrew.
That's what I think as well. That would also fit in the "biggest snake of Europe lives on the Balkan" thing. A normal snake can get an age of around 15 years.


__________________


The End of the Dream.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:12 pm
Hes's Avatar
Hes  Female.gif Hes is offline
Embroidered by imaginatio
 
Joined: 4928 days
Location: One second out of sync
Age: 36
Posts: 5,979
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
That's what I think as well. That would also fit in the "biggest snake of Europe lives on the Balkan" thing. A normal snake can get an age of around 15 years.
A snake like a Cobra is known to get 28 years old . So it's certainly possible that Nagini was something like a baby when Voldemort met her for the first time and she grew and grew.


__________________


"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."


Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:46 pm
Tenshi's Avatar
Tenshi  Undisclosed.gif Tenshi is offline
She Who Walks Behind
 
Joined: 4854 days
Posts: 6,298
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
A snake like a Cobra is known to get 28 years old . So it's certainly possible that Nagini was something like a baby when Voldemort met her for the first time and she grew and grew.
But a cobra has the characteristic look. I don't think that nobody would have recognised it. Furthermore, how could they have met?

To get to another topic:
What was her relationship to the other Death Eaters?
How did they reacted to her? Did they fear her? She was able to communicate with Voldy and could have told him things she secretly discovered.


__________________


The End of the Dream.

Last edited by Tenshi; September 12th, 2007 at 10:54 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:59 pm
Hes's Avatar
Hes  Female.gif Hes is offline
Embroidered by imaginatio
 
Joined: 4928 days
Location: One second out of sync
Age: 36
Posts: 5,979
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
But a cobra has the characteristic look. I don't think that nobody would have recognised it. Furthermore, how could they have met?
I didn't say that Nagini was a Cobra, just that snakes can get really old, like you said in your post too

Quote:
To get to another topic:
What was her relationship to the other Death Eaters?
How did they reacted to her? Did they fear her? She was able to communicate with Voldy and could have told him things she secretly discovered.
I think they must have feared her. Wormtail especially since Voldemort threatened to feed him to Nagini at least once or twice.

She could have been a spy on occasion, the DE must have know Voldemort and she could talk together, so they wouldn't have dared to say anything when she was around, but when they didn't see her...


__________________


"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."


Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:21 pm
DeathlyH's Avatar
DeathlyH  Male.gif DeathlyH is offline
Defender of Dogs
 
Joined: 4168 days
Location: In a dream
Posts: 2,129
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Was LV possessing Nagini from afar at the time? Perhaps that's how she could understand English.

Nagini is tough to figure out whether she was nasty by nature or nasty by Voldy, or both.

Do we know from what "age" was Nagini Voldy's pet?
well, it must have been some time after he started making Horcruxes. I forget, who's death did JKR say was used to make each Horcrux? The only way this doesn't work is if Nagini was Voldy's pet even before his quest for Hrcxs. began. I wonder....?


Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:27 pm
Tenshi's Avatar
Tenshi  Undisclosed.gif Tenshi is offline
She Who Walks Behind
 
Joined: 4854 days
Posts: 6,298
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I think they must have feared her. Wormtail especially since Voldemort threatened to feed him to Nagini at least once or twice.
And we saw that Voldemort had no scruple to actually feed her humans.

Quote:
She could have been a spy on occasion, the DE must have know Voldemort and she could talk together, so they wouldn't have dared to say anything when she was around, but when they didn't see her...
Exactly, that's why I think that they hated her existence. First because she could tell Voldemort everything and second because Voldemort used her as weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathly721 View Post
well, it must have been some time after he started making Horcruxes. I forget, who's death did JKR say was used to make each Horcrux? The only way this doesn't work is if Nagini was Voldy's pet even before his quest for Hrcxs. began. I wonder....?
Nagini made a Horcrux with the murder of Bertha Jorkins.


Lady Bella: Whose murders did voldemor use to create each of the horcruxes
J.K. Rowling: The diary - Moaning Myrtle. The cup - Hepzibah Smith, the previous owner. The locket - a Muggle tramp. Nagini - Bertha Jorkins (Voldemort could use a wand once he regained a rudimentary body, as long as the victim was subdued).


__________________


The End of the Dream.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:28 pm
DeathlyH's Avatar
DeathlyH  Male.gif DeathlyH is offline
Defender of Dogs
 
Joined: 4168 days
Location: In a dream
Posts: 2,129
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
And we saw that Voldemort had no scruple to actually feed her humans.


Exactly, that's why I think that they hated her existence. First because she could tell Voldemort everything and second because Voldemort used her as weapon.


Nagini made a Horcrux with the murder of Bertha Jorkins.
Thank you! I knew it was either Bertha or ol' Frank Bryce, just couldn't remember which.



Last edited by DeathlyH; September 12th, 2007 at 11:29 pm. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old September 13th, 2007, 2:45 am
mexicant's Avatar
mexicant  Female.gif mexicant is offline
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey
 
Joined: 4209 days
Location: perpetual disillusionment
Age: 32
Posts: 1,974
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Oh yay, new questions!
I think Nagini's main role in regards to the Death Eaters was to instill a sense of fear. We saw Wormtail getting repeatedly "promised" to Nagini, and it is pretty evident that Voldemort was not above using this threat as a means to keep people in line and make sure they are busting their butts for him. I do believe that Nagini was used by Voldie to spy on the Death Eaters, and I think they knew this and it made them forever wary. I believe that Voldemort was able to keep her presence concealed if he wanted to, and I'm sure they knew this. It probably kept them all on their toes, especially at their new headquarters - Malfoy Manor. I couldn't help but think that Voldemort was partly referring to Nagini's presence when he made the jibe to the Malfoy's about their newest house guests.


__________________
"if we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong
buy a little time for this head of mine
haven for us..."


Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

avatar created by Moriath
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old September 13th, 2007, 4:06 am
Chris's Avatar
Chris  Undisclosed.gif Chris is offline
Custodian of Hades Vault
 
Joined: 4197 days
Location: Monoc Securities
Posts: 4,653
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

I think that the DE's hated Nagini, but couldn't display it. She could spy on them and give LV information, so they had to worry about both Nagini and LV. And, they knew that he might feed them to her if they really messed up - which, in the end, was a lot like what Nagini did to Snape.


__________________
RLF_Icons (signature)

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator


Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old September 13th, 2007, 5:34 am
mexicant's Avatar
mexicant  Female.gif mexicant is offline
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey
 
Joined: 4209 days
Location: perpetual disillusionment
Age: 32
Posts: 1,974
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
I think that the DE's hated Nagini, but couldn't display it. She could spy on them and give LV information, so they had to worry about both Nagini and LV. And, they knew that he might feed them to her if they really messed up - which, in the end, was a lot like what Nagini did to Snape.
You know what, I think what happened with Nagini and Snape was even worse - she just killed him, then left. He was only disposed of, he wasn't even eaten. Killed just to be killed.

Do you think Nagini minded not being able to snack on him?


__________________
"if we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong
buy a little time for this head of mine
haven for us..."


Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

avatar created by Moriath
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old September 13th, 2007, 9:48 am
Hes's Avatar
Hes  Female.gif Hes is offline
Embroidered by imaginatio
 
Joined: 4928 days
Location: One second out of sync
Age: 36
Posts: 5,979
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
Do you think Nagini minded not being able to snack on him?
Snakes don't have to eat that often, so if she had eaten recently she probably wouldn't have minded. They don't have teeth, they swallow their preys whole (eeks an image of Snape swallowed whole ) and digest slowly...

I do wonder how much mind of her own Nagini still possessed. She was obviously influenced by Voldemort's soul, but was it a full possession or could she still respond on her natural instincts by herself?


__________________


"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."


Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:46 pm
Chris's Avatar
Chris  Undisclosed.gif Chris is offline
Custodian of Hades Vault
 
Joined: 4197 days
Location: Monoc Securities
Posts: 4,653
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
You know what, I think what happened with Nagini and Snape was even worse - she just killed him, then left. He was only disposed of, he wasn't even eaten. Killed just to be killed.

Do you think Nagini minded not being able to snack on him?
Good point in Hes' post about not needing to eat very often...I do think that Nagini, if hungry, may have minded. But, as others have pointed out, her taste for humans was likely due to Voldemort's practice.

I think that, for large parts of DH, Nagini was just an extension of Voldemort or a tool for Voldemort. She didn't have too much "snake free will" left at that point.


__________________
RLF_Icons (signature)

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator


Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old September 13th, 2007, 1:29 pm
snapegirl's Avatar
snapegirl  Female.gif snapegirl is offline
Dr Mrs The Monarch
 
Joined: 4740 days
Location: Spinner's End
Age: 41
Posts: 1,861
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Snakes don't have to eat that often, so if she had eaten recently she probably wouldn't have minded. They don't have teeth, they swallow their preys whole (eeks an image of Snape swallowed whole ) and digest slowly...
Snakes do have teeth. They're very sharp and curved backwards to help them pull the prey into their mouth.

I wonder if Nagini was fed on a steady diet of humans after she met Voldemort or if she did eat normal snake food too. I can't remember if we ever see her eat anything else.


Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old September 13th, 2007, 1:36 pm
Magi's Avatar
Magi  Male.gif Magi is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 5696 days
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,651
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
I wonder if Nagini was fed on a steady diet of humans after she met Voldemort or if she did eat normal snake food too. I can't remember if we ever see her eat anything else.
I have a horrid image of Nagini swallowing a human whole, although that would be physically impossible for her to do unless her jaws were incredibly large (like a small crocodile's).


Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old September 13th, 2007, 1:47 pm
Hes's Avatar
Hes  Female.gif Hes is offline
Embroidered by imaginatio
 
Joined: 4928 days
Location: One second out of sync
Age: 36
Posts: 5,979
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise
I think that, for large parts of DH, Nagini was just an extension of Voldemort or a tool for Voldemort. She didn't have too much "snake free will" left at that point.
Yes I think you are right, the power of Voldemort's soul must have been excessive and made it impossible for her to do things she wanted.

We know what the bit of soul inside Harry did to him, Harry however contrary to Nagini could (to a certain extent) rid himself from it if he really wanted. Nagini being an animal with a different kind of working conscience probably reacted in another way then Harry. Nagini of course was almost constantly in Voldemort's presence. She couldn't escape from Voldemort and the influence of the soul like Harry could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
Snakes do have teeth. They're very sharp and curved backwards to help them pull the prey into their mouth.
Yeah I know, I guess I should have written: they don't munch on their food

Quote:
I wonder if Nagini was fed on a steady diet of humans after she met Voldemort or if she did eat normal snake food too. I can't remember if we ever see her eat anything else.
Well I believe she might have had a preference for rats... if she met up with Voldemort in Albania they might have bonded over a dinner of rats (didn't Voldemort say he lived on rats while being Vapormort or is that my imagination?) but a straying muggle might have been her dinner once in a while too. Don't think I ever read what she really ate. Would she have eaten Arthur if she hadn't been disturbed in OotP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magi View Post
I have a horrid image of Nagini swallowing a human whole, although that would be physically impossible for her to do unless her jaws were incredibly large (like a small crocodile's).
It's awful but I think that an anaconda sized snake could do it, on occasion you see pictures pop up from big pythons or other big snakes that swallow crocodiles. Usually they don't survive that though.


__________________


"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."


Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old September 13th, 2007, 1:55 pm
snapegirl's Avatar
snapegirl  Female.gif snapegirl is offline
Dr Mrs The Monarch
 
Joined: 4740 days
Location: Spinner's End
Age: 41
Posts: 1,861
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magi View Post
I have a horrid image of Nagini swallowing a human whole, although that would be physically impossible for her to do unless her jaws were incredibly large (like a small crocodile's).
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but we saw her eat the Muggle studies teacher.

Anyway, it's true normal snakes would have problems swallowing an adult human whole. I saw a show on TV where a python killed and tried to eat a full-grown man. It couldn't get past the shoulders. I'm unsure if normal snake rules apply here, though.
Assuming Nagini was just a normal snake before Voldemort, I always felt she could have been a very large python type snake that Voldemort used magic on to get even bigger and venomous (since large pythons are about the right size, can constrict humans to death and try to eat them, but they're not venomous). Again, that's just what I think might have happened and I could be wrong.


Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old September 13th, 2007, 2:09 pm
Hes's Avatar
Hes  Female.gif Hes is offline
Embroidered by imaginatio
 
Joined: 4928 days
Location: One second out of sync
Age: 36
Posts: 5,979
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
Assuming Nagini was just a normal snake before Voldemort, I always felt she could have been a very large python type snake that Voldemort used magic on to get even bigger and venomous (since large pythons are about the right size, can constrict humans to death and try to eat them, but they're not venomous). Again, that's just what I think might have happened and I could be wrong.
I agree, this is how it probably must have happened. A few enlargement spells and maybe some transfiguration and the job should be quite easily done. It's likely that Voldemort used some permanent spells that made her transformation from a relatively normal snake to what she was. Wonder if this needed dark magic or that anyone could make their own Nagini...


__________________


"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."


Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old September 13th, 2007, 4:54 pm
mexicant's Avatar
mexicant  Female.gif mexicant is offline
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey
 
Joined: 4209 days
Location: perpetual disillusionment
Age: 32
Posts: 1,974
Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

I feel like I should mention here that Dumbledore had said it was dangerous to use animals as horcruxes because they can move and think for themselves. I think this points us toward Nagini still having had some of herself and some control over herself. I just think it meant she was more easily controlled than she would have been by Voldemort.


__________________
"if we can hold on, we can fix what is wrong
buy a little time for this head of mine
haven for us..."


Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

avatar created by Moriath
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks

Tags
character analysis, nagini


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 1:45 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.