Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Nagini: Character Analysis

Old August 30th, 2007, 7:20 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
Well, the big cats or other large carnivores like bears and wolves can develop a taste for humans, and then they have to be put down since they become a menace.

It might not have been Nagini's fault she was fed humans, but the result was that it seemed to be a large part of her diet. And when Voldemort did talk to her, he frequently told her to be patient since he was about to feed her some victim. That would tend to indicate that she looked forward to eating Voldemort's victims.
Well, I sort of look at that as akin to getting a dog or cat used to getting a certain treat. When they know it is coming, you have to tell them to be patient. I know that doesn't work with cats but dogs are trainable in that aspect and perhaps Nagini was sort of trained there too.
It is sad when an animal gets a taste for human flesh because they seem unable to change after that. I wouldn't blame an animal who was fed humans by a human for that, though.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2007, 8:31 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
1. Did the bit of Voldemort's soul in Nagini make her more human? We've seen that she was able to impersonate a human being - could an ordinary snake have done that even to a parselmouth?
I think the piece of Voldemort's soul certainly enabled her to think in a human-like way. Dumbledore says Voldemort has unusual amount of control over her behaviour, even for a parselmouth. If it weren't for being a Horcrux, she would think and behave just like an ordinary snake. The piece of Voldemort's soul gave Nagini a human-like personality, and the ability to comprehend human commands and execute them with thoughtful independence.

Quote:
2. Nagini was Voldemort's pet prior to becoming a horcrux. Do you think she was fond of him? Did she do his bidding willingly?
Prior to becoming a Horcrux, I think Nagini was as fond of Voldemort as any ordinary snake could be: like a tamed animal. But after becoming a Horcrux, she appears to be completely committed to following Voldemort's wishes. I think that she did obey Voldemort willingly, and in full accordance with his exact intentions.

Quote:
3. We've seen Nagini have a conscious thought process when she tells herself to hold Harry in Godric's Hollow. Is this the result of being a horcrux?
Snakes, like all animals, react upon instinct. Generally for snakes, this means they kill and devour their prey, which Nagini did not do, and did not wish to do. This is definitely a result of her being a Horcrux.

Quote:
4. Is Nagini ultimately evil? Ultimately innocent? What standards can we hold her to?
I don't think human standards of good and evil can be applied to Nagini. She was just a snake who was transformed by Voldemort to become his most loyal and most important tool. She was put to evil uses, but I don't think Nagini in her natural state was either good or evil.

Old September 5th, 2007, 11:26 pm
She Who Walks Behind

I agree with those who say that Nagini wasn't truly evil. I don't think that an animal is either good or evil, it depends on who they belong to and what purpose they are given. She could have been good and did good things, if she met the right person.

The End of the Dream.

Last edited by Tenshi; September 5th, 2007 at 11:38 pm.
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:42 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I think that any cognitive thought that Nagini may have had was the result of her horcrux status (similar to the independent thought of Tom Riddle's memory). As such, any independent thought that Nagini had at all was the result of evil inside of her - and as I'm sure she was just a normal snake prior to becoming a horcrux, I don't think she can be viewed as evil.

Old September 6th, 2007, 11:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I think that any cognitive thought that Nagini may have had was the result of her horcrux status (similar to the independent thought of Tom Riddle's memory). As such, any independent thought that Nagini had at all was the result of evil inside of her - and as I'm sure she was just a normal snake prior to becoming a horcrux, I don't think she can be viewed as evil.
I'm still not convinced this was the case. We saw her before she became a horcrux, didn't we? I could have sworn that the death used was that of Frank Bryce and we sort of see Nagini having her own personality and obviously having some thoughts because she communicated them to Babymort.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old September 6th, 2007, 11:53 pm
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
I'm still not convinced this was the case. We saw her before she became a horcrux, didn't we? I could have sworn that the death used was that of Frank Bryce and we sort of see Nagini having her own personality and obviously having some thoughts because she communicated them to Babymort.
Good point. The death was definitely Frank Bryce. We also see the snake in SS/PS conveying emotions like loneliness and a desire to go home so we know that snakes have some cognitive abilities of their own.

Old September 6th, 2007, 11:55 pm
Third Year

How do you analyze the character of a snake?

Old September 7th, 2007, 2:29 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_Lionheart View Post
The question is...is it the snake's character, or the horcrux's character within the snake? It's a good question, IMO.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old September 7th, 2007, 3:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_Lionheart View Post
I would say in the same way you analyze the character of say a beloved pet dog or cat - no person who has ever owned one could honestly say that they don't have unique personalities and characters. I don't see why a snake should be any different, though I think people seem to think so because snakes are not nearly as common of pets as cats and dogs are.

Old September 7th, 2007, 1:38 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
I would say in the same way you analyze the character of say a beloved pet dog or cat - no person who has ever owned one could honestly say that they don't have unique personalities and characters. I don't see why a snake should be any different, though I think people seem to think so because snakes are not nearly as common of pets as cats and dogs are.
I agree. I have a pet snake (named Nagini ) and I could type an essay on her behavior and personality. I think Nagini is a great character because, like a lot of HP pets, she has personality and abilities greater than muggle pets.
Also she was a horcrux. There is speculation that because she was a horcrux her abilities where effected because of it. Take the Bathilda's Secret chapter, we know Harry can understand and speak Parseltongue, but how does Nagini understand Harry when he speaks English?
There is also a lot of wondering about what type of snake Nagini was and how she behaved before Voldemort got her. I think Jo said she was a normal snake, but I'm so curious about what type of snake. If we knew that, it would be easier to speculate on her personality because normal, "muggle" snakes all have different characterics, temperments and abilities.

Old September 7th, 2007, 1:58 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

1. Did the bit of Voldemort's soul in Nagini make her more human? We've seen that she was able to impersonate a human being - could an ordinary snake have done that even to a parselmouth?

I think the fact that Nagini was a Horcrux definitely made her seem more human. The Horcrux affected her, made her think like Voldemort and like causing pain like Voldemort. I don't think there are any snakes like Nagini.

2. Nagini was Voldemort's pet prior to becoming a horcrux. Do you think she was fond of him? Did she do his bidding willingly?

I bascally think that by making Nagini a Horcrux he almost created a "mini me" of himself. She shares a few characteristics of Voldemort and that is the only reason Voldemort grew to like her - because they were so alike. She did his biding willingly because she was a part of Voldemort and wanted the same thngs as him. I also, think she was fond of Voldemort.

3. We've seen Nagini have a conscious thought process when she tells herself to hold Harry in Godric's Hollow. Is this the result of being a horcrux?

I'm not sure, as we do not know if animals have concious thoughts - I would doubt it. I think that being a Horcrux definitely influenced her to have human characteristics and feelings, so yes I would say because she was a Horcrux she would have concious thoughts, although I think these thoughts and communications would only be possible between her and Voldemort.

4. Is Nagini ultimately evil? Ultimately innocent? What standards can we hold her to?

Innocent. Just an innocent snake If Voldemort hadn't made her a Horcrux I think she would just be an ordinary little snake slithering around in some field somewhere . Although, saying that something must have made Voldemort choose her instead of any other snake...

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:40 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
Also she was a horcrux. There is speculation that because she was a horcrux her abilities where effected because of it. Take the Bathilda's Secret chapter, we know Harry can understand and speak Parseltongue, but how does Nagini understand Harry when he speaks English?
I thought that Harry spoke parseltongue with her, without noticing, when she was posing as Bathilda.

But I might be wrong and it's possible that Voldemort used some kind of spell on her to make her talk normally...

Quote:
There is also a lot of wondering about what type of snake Nagini was and how she behaved before Voldemort got her. I think Jo said she was a normal snake, but I'm so curious about what type of snake. If we knew that, it would be easier to speculate on her personality because normal, "muggle" snakes all have different characterics, temperments and abilities.
Well she must be a big one. European snakes don't get that huge, wasn't she from Albania? An enlargement spell could have increased her size, since she was poisonous and not a constrictor (which are generally bigger I think)

Voldemort must have influenced her a lot, maybe he messed with her mind and her size.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post
I bascally think that by making Nagini a Horcrux he almost created a "mini me" of himself. She shares a few characteristics of Voldemort and that is the only reason Voldemort grew to like her - because they were so alike. She did his biding willingly because she was a part of Voldemort and wanted the same thngs as him. I also, think she was fond of Voldemort.
I disagree that the only reason Voldemort liked Nagini was because she was a horcrux. It was evident to me he had somewhat fond feelings for her before the murder of Frank Bryce, which means that it was before she became a horcrux. I think they found each other in Albania and that he grew fond of her there. Perhaps she allowed him to often possess her or she brought him sustenance. That could have endeared her to him. Regardless of how, though, I do believe it happened before she was a horcrux. I think he chose her to hold a piece of his soul because of his fondness for her and not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I thought that Harry spoke parseltongue with her, without noticing, when she was posing as Bathilda.

But I might be wrong and it's possible that Voldemort used some kind of spell on her to make her talk normally...
I think she may have been referring to Harry speaking to "Bathilda" outside the home when she meets Harry and Hermione in the lane. I could be wrong, though.

Quote:
Well she must be a big one. European snakes don't get that huge, wasn't she from Albania? An enlargement spell could have increased her size, since she was poisonous and not a constrictor (which are generally bigger I think)

Voldemort must have influenced her a lot, maybe he messed with her mind and her size.
I agree that something may have been done about her size, otherwise she was not native to Europe. The largest and most poisonous snakes I can find as belonging to Albania only grow to a little over three feet or one meter. Perhaps she had just been accidentally released there?

Old September 11th, 2007, 11:14 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
I agree with that. That's why I think emphasis needs to be put on the fact that she was his pet after all, and that pets like to please their owners. I think she did the things she did to make him happy, not because it made her happy.

I would also agree that she isn't inherently evil. Like you said, most animals kill for food, not pleasure, and snakes fall into that category.

I wonder if JKR intended her to be, though? I'm thinking that Jo has made many allusions to Christian beliefs, and I wonder if Nagini was supposed to loosely mirror the immoral snake in the Garden of Eden who allowed itself to be possessed by the devil. What do you think?
I'm not sure if this is offensive to those who are religious, but I think we can definitely compare Voldemort to the devil, and Nagini allowed herself to be possessed.

Also, about the pet part, that's not completely true. Not all pets try to please their owners, but most do.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 11th, 2007, 11:37 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
I think she may have been referring to Harry speaking to "Bathilda" outside the home when she meets Harry and Hermione in the lane. I could be wrong, though.
I guess she must really understand English due to some sort of spell in that particular case. Or she was told by Voldemort just to nod at anything Harry said when they met for the first time (this sounds unbelievable I know) to assure Harry that everything was alright.

Quote:
I agree that something may have been done about her size, otherwise she was not native to Europe. The largest and most poisonous snakes I can find as belonging to Albania only grow to a little over three feet or one meter. Perhaps she had just been accidentally released there?
Possible but still I always thought she was very large in size, the longest poisonous snake in the world is the King Cobra 18.5 ft (5.7 m). Maybe JKR didn't have a real life snake in mind and was Nagini a complete magical creation of Voldemort, could that be possible?

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:46 pm
She Who Walks Behind

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of her being bewitched so that she can "talk". But basically she only said one word. Maybe it was like a recorder and she only was able to "say" this one word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes
Possible but still I always thought she was very large in size, the longest poisonous snake in the world is the King Cobra 18.5 ft (5.7 m). Maybe JKR didn't have a real life snake in mind and was Nagini a complete magical creation of Voldemort, could that be possible?
Something is clear. Nagini is no normal snake. So I think it is possible that she's a magical creature or a selfbreed one.

The End of the Dream.
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:50 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
I guess she must really understand English due to some sort of spell in that particular case. Or she was told by Voldemort just to nod at anything Harry said when they met for the first time (this sounds unbelievable I know) to assure Harry that everything was alright.
Yes, that's the part I meant. Nagini must have understood English or somehow know enough to fake it. I doubt Harry accidently spoke Parseltongue to her because Hermione was right there most of the time. Hermione would have known something was wrong if Harry wasn't talking to "Bathilda" in English.

Old September 12th, 2007, 12:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
Yes, that's the part I meant. Nagini must have understood English or somehow know enough to fake it. I doubt Harry accidently spoke Parseltongue to her because Hermione was right there most of the time. Hermione would have known something was wrong if Harry wasn't talking to "Bathilda" in English.
Not only that, but Harry has a hard time speaking it unless he thinks the snake is real. I don't think he was able to really speak it the way that the Gaunt family used it with each other.

And Heike, I think she was some sort of magical mix, too. Just like there are magical rats that live longer lives and show magical powers, I think Nagini may have been a magical snake. We aren't really told about that, are we? And I don't even know where it would come up. It certainly wouldn't make her a fantastic beast, but maybe if JKr ever releases a Monster Book of Monsters we'll find out.

Old September 12th, 2007, 12:29 am
Defender of Dogs

I always thought something was odd about Nagini, even before HBP. Voldemort, even though he was a Parselmouth, had a ridiculous amount of power over her. I loved it when Neville killed her though. Yay!!!

Old September 12th, 2007, 3:48 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Was LV possessing Nagini from afar at the time? Perhaps that's how she could understand English.

Nagini is tough to figure out whether she was nasty by nature or nasty by Voldy, or both.

Do we know from what "age" was Nagini Voldy's pet?

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies