Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Nagini: Character Analysis

Old August 23rd, 2007, 7:20 pm
Mouse

Nagini: Character Analysis

I know, I know, a character analysis thread for a snake. But I think Nagini's dual status as a horcrux means that she's actually got something there for discussion.

1. Did the bit of Voldemort's soul in Nagini make her more human? We've seen that she was able to impersonate a human being - could an ordinary snake have done that even to a parselmouth?

2. Nagini was Voldemort's pet prior to becoming a horcrux. Do you think she was fond of him? Did she do his bidding willingly?

3. We've seen Nagini have a conscious thought process when she tells herself to hold Harry in Godric's Hollow. Is this the result of being a horcrux?

4. Is Nagini ultimately evil? Ultimately innocent? What standards can we hold her to?

Discuss.

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2007, 7:50 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Am I allowed to express how much of a nasty piece of work I thought Nagini was?

I think Nagini was a bit more "human" than an ordinary snake because of the soul-bit. I do think, though, that it was the soul-bit itself, not her, that was "human". I think that she would have reverted back to a normal snake if she'd been "de-horcruxed".

However, I do think she was fond of Voldemort, and she wasn't being used - she liked being an evil snake. She did seem to enjoy her role as Voldemort's "hit-snake".

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 7:54 pm
Seventh Year

1. Did the bit of Voldemort's soul in Nagini make her more human? We've seen that she was able to impersonate a human being - could an ordinary snake have done that even to a parselmouth?
I think Nagini was an extraordinary snake. She was probably a deadly mix breed. I also believe that Voldemort's soul made her stronger and more magically powerful.

2. Nagini was Voldemort's pet prior to becoming a horcrux. Do you think she was fond of him? Did she do his bidding willingly?
I think she did her bidding willingly. Voldemort treated her well and she seems to love the taste of flesh and since Voldemort keeps giving her a steady stream of supply of that, I think she was happy with what she was doing.

3. We've seen Nagini have a conscious thought process when she tells herself to hold Harry in Godric's Hollow. Is this the result of being a horcrux?
Maybe. She could also be a powerful and deadly breed. Voldemort might not have chosen her to be his pet otherwise. Also I don't think she was just his pet. I think she was his friend. They shared their deadly thirst for blood.

4. Is Nagini ultimately evil? Ultimately innocent? What standards can we hold her to?

I think she is evil. We should hold her on par with Voldemort and Bellatrix Lestrange. In the fourth book Voldemort says "Not now" to Nagini when she comes to eat Harry, Shows how truly evil she was.

The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders...
Old August 23rd, 2007, 8:00 pm
First Year

1. I'm not sure it made her more human, but it certainly made her more aware and intelligent than the average snake. Also, I was under the impression that she literally inabited Bathilda's body and then burst out of it, not that she transformed into the body. Maybe I'm just making things more gruesome in my head.

2. Since Voldemort treated Nagini well and always supplied her with flesh, I think that she was fond of her master and did his bidding willingly.

3. No, I think that Voldemort trained her prior to making her a Horcrux. However, this is just a hunch. I have no proof to back this up.

4. Evil. Pure evil.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 9:54 pm
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

I think Voldemort's soul (the horcrux) had more influence on Nagini than seems apparent. I think that it forced its control over Nagini in some respects giving her human abilities such as we saw in Godric's Hallow. We also see a bit of this thought process in OotP when Nagini attacks Arthur.

I think Nagini herself is inherintly evil, just like Umbridge, and the horcrux portion aplifies those feelings.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:02 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I know, I know, a character analysis thread for a snake. But I think Nagini's dual status as a horcrux means that she's actually got something there for discussion.

I wonder if perhaps she was a magical snake in the same way some rats are magical. Maybe she had special properties or something...or perhaps she was even a mix of snake and something else.
I do think that Voldemort's soul bit inside her allowed her to act less like a snake and more like a person, but I can't help but think that some of that was already there. I don't think an ordinary snake could have impersonated a human, but I do think Voldie had transfigured her first.

Quote:
I think Nagini was very fond of and loyal to Voldemort. I don't think she would really have curled up around him so much nor would she have submitted to being milked for someone if she didn't care. I think she did his bidding very willingly, and was eager to please her master much as many other pets are.

Quote:
I'm not sure. Like I have already said, I think there was something more to Nagini than just being a snake. Of course, we did see that the diary thought of its own accord because of the soul inside of it, so perhaps it really was just another part of MoldyVoldie.

Quote:
I think she was as innocent as any other pet who loves their owner. I don't see that she should be thought of any worse than another pet, because pets tend to do what pleases their owners. If the owners want them to be vicious and mean, they are; if an owner wants a pet to be kind and sweet, most of the time they are. Once she got a bit of her master inside her, I think it was almost beyond her control at that point whether or not she wanted to do all of his bidding, but I don't think she ever would have protested it enough to find out.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:06 pm
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
I think she was as innocent as any other pet who loves their owner. I don't see that she should be thought of any worse than another pet, because pets tend to do what pleases their owners. If the owners want them to be vicious and mean, they are; if an owner wants a pet to be kind and sweet, most of the time they are. Once she got a bit of her master inside her, I think it was almost beyond her control at that point whether or not she wanted to do all of his bidding, but I don't think she ever would have protested it enough to find out.
In a sense I see her as kind of like a house elf. She responds to kindness from Voldemort and does his bidding. The morality of right and wrong are less important to her than her master's orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupislune View Post
I think Voldemort's soul (the horcrux) had more influence on Nagini than seems apparent. I think that it forced its control over Nagini in some respects giving her human abilities such as we saw in Godric's Hallow. We also see a bit of this thought process in OotP when Nagini attacks Arthur.

I think Nagini herself is inherintly evil, just like Umbridge, and the horcrux portion aplifies those feelings.
Interesting parallel. I'm not sure you can call her inherently evil - I mean she's a snake - snake's kill but she seems to have an enjoyment of killing for pleasure rather than killing for food that is more typical of humans than animals.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:16 pm
Secret Keeper

I think it did a little bit, but not by much, as we saw harry become a Horcrux, but not like Voldemort. I think an ordinary snake might be able to, but not as well.
I think she was fond of him, she liked being an evil snake, lol.
I actually don't think so. I'm sure Nagini could still do it even if she isn't a horcrux. We don't know how smart animals are, you never know.
I'd actually say evil.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:25 pm
I want to believe

I'm inclined to say no. I'm thinking the fact she was a horcrux allowed her to do things an ordinary snake would not have been able to do. I think the fact she had a piece of Voldemort's soul in her allowed her to go above and beyond her snake-ishness in certain circumstances.

I think she must have, because otherwise she might not have done exactly what Voldemort wanted. I believe if someone exerts their will over another who offers resistance, the results are never as good as if the subject willingly does the other's bidding.

Maybe her being a horcrux allowed her to have more complex thoughts than she would have as a snake. Animals must be capable of some thought processes, so I'm going to say Voldemort's soul enhanced those processes and allowed them to go to a higher level.

Tough question. Ultimately I'd have to say Nagini was a pawn for Voldemort - he used her just as he used a great many people. I'm not sure how much we should expect of a snake, considering that it probably didn't understand what Voldemort was really all about. I'm not really sure how much morality she would have understood.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:30 pm

Quote:
In a sense I see her as kind of like a house elf. She responds to kindness from Voldemort and does his bidding. The morality of right and wrong are less important to her than her master's orders.
I agree with that. That's why I think emphasis needs to be put on the fact that she was his pet after all, and that pets like to please their owners. I think she did the things she did to make him happy, not because it made her happy.

Quote:
Interesting parallel. I'm not sure you can call her inherently evil - I mean she's a snake - snake's kill but she seems to have an enjoyment of killing for pleasure rather than killing for food that is more typical of humans than animals.
I would also agree that she isn't inherently evil. Like you said, most animals kill for food, not pleasure, and snakes fall into that category.

I wonder if JKR intended her to be, though? I'm thinking that Jo has made many allusions to Christian beliefs, and I wonder if Nagini was supposed to loosely mirror the immoral snake in the Garden of Eden who allowed itself to be possessed by the devil. What do you think?

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:47 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Just like Harry did, I guess Nagini received some powers from Voldemort. I am not really sure which powers but I like the idea. Not many however.

I guess she was like every pet, she responded to the one who gave her food. She showed some dog like qualities I think, like responding to being called and rolling up in front of the fire. Voldemort might have used some persuading, he knew he had a certain power over Nagini, he had controlled snakes in his youth, so power of persuasion must have played a part in their relationship. I think there must have been some attachment on both sides.

Yes, must be. A common snake wouldn't be able to do this to my knowledge, they react on instinct.

She is a product of Voldemort, she might have been a fairly innocent snake (this really sounds odd, to humanize a snake, humanizing cats and dogs feels more logical). If Voldemort hadn't controlled her she would just have lived peacefully somewhere feeding on rats and other prey.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:08 pm
Second Year

Maybe because whenever we seem to see her, trouble is a-brewing (i.e., biting Arthur Weasly, being fed various people, Snape's death, Godric's Hollow)...but Nagini's appearance in the books really creeped me out. I think my subconscious began to associate her with impending doom...

Yvaine: "What do stars do?"
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:13 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

I think it did. She seems to understand English. She understands when Voldemort and Harry speak to her in English.
I think she was. Voldemort did treat her better than any Death Eater and he seems upset when she was killed. Nagini was fond of him because she was treated well.
I assume it is. I also think being a horcrux made her feel closer to Voldemort and more willing to do what she was told. Dumbledore told Harry in HBP Voldemort had unusual control over Nagini. He thought this was a result her being a horcrux.
It's hard to say. We never see her before Voldemort got hold of her. But I think it's easier for the reader to assume that she was always evil because of the fear many people have of snakes.

Old August 24th, 2007, 11:11 am
Master Seer

Quote:
Is Nagini ultimately evil? Ultimately innocent? What standards can we hold her to?
Can an animal be 'evil'? Can it be judged by human measures of right and wrong? I don't think so.

My experience with snakes is limited - all right, non-existant - but I do have some experience with cats, dogs, parrots and pets in general. And that experience shows that a pet will do its owner's bidding, no matter what that is, if the owner can train him. He can win the pet's obeyance and thus train him by a) being kind, b) being strict, c) use force, so create fear in the animal and make it obey like this. Most people use a blend of a and b. We didn't really find out what Voldemort did.

The point is - either Nagini was just a snake, an animal with not much more than the infamous 'snakebrain' (the 'oldest' part in every brain) - and then it cannot be judged for what Voldemort trained her to do. Or she was corrupted by Voldemort's soul inside her - in which case she'd be even less responsible in a human sense of the idea of responsibility.

Old August 24th, 2007, 11:22 am
Second Year

I saw this and I was like: What? Are we REALLY giving a snake a "character analysis" forum?
Well anyway, I think she was completely controlled by Voldy, because he WAS her...
HEY! Sudden realisation: Voldemort is also a female because of NAgini! HAHAHA!
...Sorry, I'm back. I think she was completely controlled by Voldemort's mind, and thoughts, and all that. I don't think she could do anything for herself.

But then, there's Harry, who lived his own life and thought his own thoughts but was part of Voldemort...hmm. tricky.

Old August 24th, 2007, 7:17 pm
Lycanthrope

I don't think so. I think it made her more apt to do Voldy's bidding - and whatever good and evil Voldy had, touched Nagini's soul much like it did Harry's. I think Voldy's magic did the rest.

Nah

Nah, I would say she was just an intelligent Snake.

I think she was just a Snake - normal. Later Voldy molded her into an evil Snake. But if she'd grown up with Harry she would have been a good snake.

Old August 30th, 2007, 10:48 am
The Next Great Adventurer

It enabled Voldemort to have complete control over Nagini. And perhaps made it more intelligent than a snake would have been.

It's hard to picture a snake being fond of someone. But snakes did seem to have an affinity of some kind to the Gaunt family.

I think so. No snake is that smart. Although we saw a lot of overly smart animals in the books.

She did her master's bidding. But she must have developed a taste for human flesh since he fed her all his victims. That seems evil. Although she had to eat something and that was what she was given.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old August 30th, 2007, 2:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post

It's hard to picture a snake being fond of someone. But snakes did seem to have an affinity of some kind to the Gaunt family.
I think you have a good point there in bringing up the Gaunt family. I mean, the snake Morfin was handling was being threatened with death and yet it was still as gentle as a newborn baby to him. That makes me think that should a snake find someone with whom it can communicate it would respect that person. We see that sort of behavior in dogs and cats all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post

She did her master's bidding. But she must have developed a taste for human flesh since he fed her all his victims. That seems evil. Although she had to eat something and that was what she was given.
I think it is important to keep in mind that developing a taste for what you are given doesn't really make a person evil, especially when it comes to animals, in my opinion. Animals who are pets look to their owners as a source not only of comfort and companionship, but for care as well. That includes feeding to me, and obviously Voldemort had an affection of sorts for her and wanted to give her "good" food. I personally think it may have been some twisted thought that feeding a dead life to his beloved pet would in a sense show her mastery over death as well.

Old August 30th, 2007, 3:42 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Well, the big cats or other large carnivores like bears and wolves can develop a taste for humans, and then they have to be put down since they become a menace.

It might not have been Nagini's fault she was fed humans, but the result was that it seemed to be a large part of her diet. And when Voldemort did talk to her, he frequently told her to be patient since he was about to feed her some victim. That would tend to indicate that she looked forward to eating Voldemort's victims.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old August 30th, 2007, 4:38 pm
Animaga terpsichore

~I think it sort of made her human. (I mean, technically she did have part of a human soul inside of her.

~ Well, eventually any pet will become fond of you. But it depends on how you treat them. I guess she really didn't have a choice once she became a Horcrux.

~Yes because Voldemort was controlling her the entire time.

~I think she is innocent. I mean, she didn't ask for Voldemort to make her as one of his Horcruxes.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies