Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Magical Masterpieces

HP Icon Tutorials

Old April 10th, 2008, 12:40 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Re: HP Icon Tutorials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnypotter19 View Post
Does anyone have a GIMP tutorial?
I was wondering about that as well, since that's what I use to make icons for the most part...

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2008, 8:03 pm
First Year

Very helpful tutorials..

Old April 16th, 2008, 9:32 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I used GIMP for about a year or so and I often adapted photoshop tutorials for GIMP.

Old April 19th, 2008, 8:26 pm
Third Year

I hope it's okay to post this here. I came across a gimp coloring tutorial and thought some of you gimp users might get something out of it. I love sakura.

It's here.

TTFN

Old July 28th, 2008, 11:11 pm
Snape Lover

I'm slightly embarrassed that I never knew this thread existed! Some very nice tutorials. I might make one for a couple of the trickier icons I've done.

Old July 29th, 2008, 12:35 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnypotter19 View Post
Does anyone have a GIMP tutorial?
Youtube is a good way to find tutorials for GIMP.

Love Struck and Feedback
Old July 29th, 2008, 3:03 am
Snape Lover

Here's a coloring tutorial from one of my LIMS icons (well two actually), hope it makes sense.
UsingProgram: Photoshop CS
Selective Colors / Curves etc.?: Yes, sorry GIMP people
Translatable to other Programs: I don't think so
Skill Level: Have to know how to use adjustment layers mainly

From...to... Going from this: to this:
HP seems to have a lot of these murky greenish blue caps, but sometimes they can be rescued.

by...1Sharpen and Duplicate your base 3 times and set the duplications to Screen

I know it looks horrific here, but you've got to get enough white in the lightest parts (sky and sails in this case) that the selective coloring will read them as whites or neutrals and not blacks.

2 Make a Selective Coloring Layer. These are the settings I used. (you'll have to adjust these settings depending on the pic)

Green: -100, +100, +15, +41
Cyan: -27, +72, +2, +7
Neutral: -12, -2, +9, +7
Black: +34, -15, +7, +56

3 Make a second Selective Coloring layer. Here are my settings (again adjust as needed)
Red: +65, -16, -35, +21
Cyan: -100, +83, -30, +31
Neutrals: +1, -3, +1, -2
Black: 0, 0, +1, +11

4 Brightness and Contrast adjustment layer, both settings set to +20 here. Brightness/Contrast does a lot of the work sharpening can do in a neater way, so try not to over sharpen in the beginning.

5 I added a light texture. Flipped it over so the colors in the bottom left, and set it to Linear Light at 10%

6 For a few final adjustments, I created a new empty layer and stamped all my layers together there (Shift-Ctrl-Alt-E). I duplicated that layer, and set it to Soft Light at about 15% just to meld everything together and add some depth. In this case I also went back and lightened the shoreline a tad with a soft dodge brush, because it looked a bit dingy.

I did similar steps on this icon:

just not as drastic and with a bit more of the green coming through.

Old October 24th, 2008, 8:44 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Sorry for the lateness...

Great works! I am going to add them to the opening post!

The End of the Dream.
Old October 30th, 2008, 5:09 pm
Formerly Known as 82

Easy Peasy Tutorial from GOF

Go from to

Program:PSP 9 but translatable to most programs
Level:Basic knowledge of graphic making needed

1)Choose your base and crop to 100x100

2)2)Go to Adjust>Brightness/Contrast>Curves - Basically balance the colors out. In thise image I really wanted the greens to pop so I up'ed those more than the other colors

Here are the settings:

RGB
Red
Green
Blue

3)3)Go to Adjust>Brightness/Contrast>Brightness/Contrast - A note about contrast: Don't make it too high if you have people in the image. Too much contrast on faces ain't pretty!

Settings: Brightness:5, Contrast:36

4)Duplicate base layer>Drag to top>set to Screen at 100%

5)Create a new layer>fill with a green (#779d82)>Set to burn 33%

6)Create a new layer>fill it with dark blue (#0d1743)>set to exclusion 100%
This Dark blue will add depth to an image with a black background

7)Create a new layer>fill it with a light tan (#d9cdc1)>set to darken at 65%

8)Create a new layer (last I promise>Fill it with a light pink (#ffcde7)>set to burn 100%

9)Go back to the bottem>Duplicate base layer>drag to the top>set to soft light 100%

10) I added some text> violation size:8 , tiny text Violation size:3

All Done! Feel free to ask questions

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old November 12th, 2008, 8:22 pm
Squee-worthy

Are there any tutorials for GIMP? (besides YouTube)

Last edited by Lord Godric; November 12th, 2008 at 8:29 pm.
Old February 16th, 2009, 3:16 pm
Formerly Known as 82

Go from to

Program: PSPX2
Level: Medium
Translatable: Should be

1) I started out with this base. It's a screen cap from Order of the Phoenix. I chose it because I just love the feel of the image. It's dark and grungy and the best part of it is that it's of relatively good quality which is ESSENTIAL in graphi making.

2)Duplicate your base one time and set it to screen. This will brighten it up nicely. Adjust opacity accordingly. Every base is different but since this is such a dark base I left it at 100%

3)Now you can either sharpen this layer or you can copy-merge your image and sharpen that layer. The result is the same but I prefer copy-merging my image. Generally I only sharpen once because if you do more the image will look pixely. Smooth out the skin if you need to.

4)Now it's time for a Curves layer. Under curves there is an option for auto-contrast and auto-levels. I selected both. Since this is a yellowish/green base the blues were brought out a bit to balance out the colors. The auto settings are a handy trick when you are just trying to nuetalize the colorization

5) The next layer is Channel Mixer. This is a very handy tool in PSP since we dont have selective coloring. This will add or take out differnt colors while perserving the colors you want in the image. Since this is a very yellow image I want to tone that hue down and add more blue. The settings I used were the following:

Red:112,-6,0
Green:-12, 115, 12
Blue:-54, 110,73

6)Now I notice there is still too much red in the image so I go to color balance to lower the reds and raise the blue tones. I used the following settings

Midtones: 24,0,10
Shadows: -32,0,-10

7)It's time to start adding a little texture to the image! I add this texture (creater unknown) as a new layer on the image and set to screen. I then with the eraser brush set on low erase around Harry's head. This texture will add a bit of grunge to the image and add whisps of color in the final product.

8)The next texture I add (also unknown) tones the bright colors of the first image. It make the image darker and I think add character. I set this image on Multipy and again erased around Harry's head.

9) The last texture I ad is a bit of sparkle. You can either set this on screen or soft light. Screen will just show the bits of the light but soft light will darken the image up even more while allowing the bits of light to shine through. I opted for soft light and again erased around Harry's head

10) Now for the final bit I added some text. The font I used was Viper Nora which is available on Dafont.com. It's a nice strong font that think works well with a grungy sort of graphic like this since if you look closely it has grunge texture in the font itself. I typed out what I wanted (adjusting the tracking on the second line so ONE was more seperated). After I had what I wanted and postitioned it I converted the text to a raster layer which makes the text a little more polished and set the text layer to soft light. this gives it a bit of a translucent quality which I think looks less harsh than stark white.

All done! Tell me what you think

Old February 16th, 2009, 3:43 pm
Lycanthrope

That's a beaut Vita. . Those movie caps are very prestine originals to start with. I have never used one, but you have encouraged me to stop being lazy and druge through them and have a look. I always just use pretty poor (in comparison) originals from my DVDs. The quality degrades a lot because you have to save them as VOBs and then convert those to AVI and finally to the file type in your program. The reason I prefer them is of course because you have WAY more stills to choose from, unless the caps are available for entire movies (I don't think they are, at least I have never seen them.)

I really like the final product - actually I also really like the still in its forms right above your points #8 and #9. But I am strange like that, I love unique and odd graphics for the most part.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; February 16th, 2009 at 3:46 pm.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 3:04 pm
Formerly Known as 82

Go from to

Program: PSP X2
Level: Easy
Translatable: Yes

Welcome to my simple grayscale tutorial. Often times I see what would be fantastic icons ruined by dull looking desaturation. Hopefully these tips will help you out.

First of all a common mistake when you want to go black and white is to (shift+L) or to simply disaturate on your hue/saturation/color tool. Often times they come out looking horrible, blurry and have no pizzaz like this:

1) First I always start out with a HQ base for any graphic I make. Low quality bases often result in very grainy graphic which is not what we want. So I crop and resize my bases (tip: Only resize once! If you keeps resizing quality is lost each time!) After that I duplicate the base and sharpen one time. You may need to smooth out the skin if you notice some graininess, this can be done with the softening tool on a low opacity.

to

2) The next step is to use the auto-contrast and auto-levels. I know I go back and adjust both the contrast and levels manually later in the tutorial but this is a great cheat for prepping bases. This step will make the colors pop and save you from fiddling with the tedious and tempermental curves tool.

3)Step three is to actually desturate the graphic. You can either use channel mixer or for this particular graphic I chose to apply a black and white gradiant set on Color(L). The result is smoother then overall desaturation.

to

4) Now it's time to adjust the contrast and the brightness a little bit. Images with nice smooth contrast look more polished and have depth which looks better in the end. I set the brightness on 5 and the contrast on 15. You may have to adjust to what looks right with your image. Images with lots of white or light gray will often look horrible if the contrast is too high.

5) Next, it's time to deepen the image a bit more with Levels. Levels just adjust how much black and how much white is in the image. I set this images levels at 1, 154,255. This caused the black to get a little darker and the shadows to pop a bit more.

6) The last step is to add a bit of a texture onto the image. This will create a finished look and save the image from looking too shiney. You can choose a number of settings (soft light, multiply, screen, overlay, dodge etc.) but I chose Lighten set at about 23%. I liked that it added more gray to the image while maintaining the nice contrast.

to

Old February 23rd, 2009, 6:46 pm
Lycanthrope

Whoooohoooo another tutorial! I love these and this particular one is exactly what I need for a project I have been working on here and there for a couple of weeks now. And the same program too. Thanks Vita. You achieved a beautiful transformation of the photo, btw, I love it. Three questions:

1. Do you find the softening tool for smoothing out the skin is better than the "skin smoothing" option? I have used both - usually the former only when the latter option doesn't quite do it. And if you do use the softening tool on large sections, do you find that it leaves a 'blob' effect (no matter how lightly applied)? If so, how do you deal with that?

2. Step one, you say "sharpen 1 time". Do you mean a high pass sharpen, or a regular sharpen - and do you remember your settings? Like the radius and so forth?

3. In step 5, you do a levels ajustment - where is this in the program (X2)? I mean, what levels are you adjusting?

Sorry for the beginner like questions, but I'm still a blatant novice. One day I'll finally get the art and program language down! Thanks.

(ps. I put the questions here instead of in the Questions thread because I figured since they pertained to the tutorial others may have similar questions. But let me know if these are supposed to go in the other thread. Thanks.)

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; February 23rd, 2009 at 7:01 pm.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Formerly Known as 82

Thanks

1) I use the softening tool because I find that the skin smoothening tool often makes it too smooth especially on men where stubble and other facial hair might be affected. Blurry 5 o'clock shadows look goofy. Also, the jaw line on a man I think is important to maintain so I steer clear of the jawline and chin. I usually only smoothen the cheeks, forehead (if hair is not present) and the neck a little bit. The rest I leave untouched. Skin Smoothening tool I think however has it's place, like on close up shots where skin is pretty much all you see.

2) I use PSP so I dont have any fancy settings for my sharpening tool. Just "sharpen" or "sharpen more" I chose the first. High pass sharpen works in some cases but I find that often mucks up my colors (of course that wouldn't matter in this icon)

3) I didnt see this until after I posted

It's under Layers > New Layer Adjustment > Levels and I only adjusted the RGB option (black and white)

Last edited by Vita; February 23rd, 2009 at 7:04 pm.
Old February 24th, 2009, 1:27 am
Lycanthrope

Thanks so much for the added answers, I found everything in the program - now of course when I finish up work tonight I will have a go at actually trying to do it. .

Old February 25th, 2009, 4:39 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Vita, I love the chosen one tutorial. Very nice.

Old May 6th, 2009, 3:45 am
Formerly Known as 82

Simple Silly Coloring Tutorial

Go from to

Please feel free to ask questions!

Spoiler: show

Hello and welcome to my latest coloring tutorial! It's rather simple but I hope people can find some useful tips here.

As always, I start out with a high quality base. It's essential! I DISPISE grainy blurry images used for iconing There should be a law against it or something.

I see that this image is kind of bright and the colors are washed out so I duplicate the base, set it to screen and sharpen the image once. Already the image is looking a whole lot better.

2) Next I want to adjust the shadows. As mentioned, I think the whole image is a bit washed out so I go to curves and input the following setting on RGB: 223>201, 38>36

This will also greatly improve the contrast of the image.

4) Next comes a whole slough of color fill layers. I create a new raster layer and fill with the following light gray color (#9c9c9c) on darken 2% The color you choose does not have to be an exact match so I will not picture it.

5) Another color fill layer that will bring in a warm tone to the picture which is the goal. The color I used is (#ddb8a7) on soft light 100% It is a tan/yellow shade.

6) Next layer is a robins egg blue to bring in more blue to the shadows. The color I used is (#cbe3f3) on burn 100%

7) Next is to bring in even more pink to Emma's skin tone. I use (#f3cbdd) set on multiply at 20%. It is a skin tone pink

8) Last color fill for a bit! I promise A dark gray (#202020) set on screen 100% which will keep the graphic from being to saturated in color.

9) Next I duplicate the base (way at the bottom) and drag it to the top. I set that to multiply at 100%. This will help keep the clarity of the image and keep Emma from look unnatrual

10) The image looks a little dark so I adjust the brightness/contrast. Brightness: 30 and Contrast:20. Reminder, you will have to adjust this setting for your image. Some images will look dreadful with these settings!

11) Now it's time to start fine tuning the colorizations. I go to color balance and make some adjustments. Basically I raise the cyan and yellows.

Shadows:-17, 0, 4
Midtones: -14, 0, -19
Highlights: 7, 0, 14

12) The midtones I noticed are a bit off so I adjust them again, this time in the other direction

Midtones: 10, 0, -4

13) Three more color layers now! To add the pink tones. I create a new raster layer again (as I have for all the color fill layers) and fill it with (#ebc7c) and set it to soft light 100%

14) Next color layer is (#f9dfdf) set on burn at 100%

15) Last color layer is (#dac4c4) set on hard light. This will make it look really weird but we will fix it I promise in the next layer.

16) Next duplicate the base again and drag it to the top. Set to dark at 35%. See it looks better!

17) Now I want to deepen the blacks of the image so emma looks more defined. I go to levels and input the following numbers: 0, 199, 255

18) Almost done! Final adjustments for my coloring. I went to channel mixer and brought the reds down a little bit

Red: 119, -12, 0
Green: -17, 116, 17
Blue: -3, -8, 112

19) Final coloring step is color balance again

Shadow: 2, 0, 14
Midtones: -17, 0, -11
Highlights: -10, 0,-14

20) Now add the text you want! I chose a random font and typed out my words, duplicated and moved it down just below the first text and lowered the opacity and did the same thing for the third shadow.

ALSO FEEL FREE TO REQUEST TUTORIALS FROM ME OF ANY OF THE GRAPHICS YOU SEE ME MAKE. I USUALLY CAN REMEMBER THE METHOD, NO PROMISES THOUGH

Last edited by Vita; May 6th, 2009 at 5:28 pm.
Old May 6th, 2009, 5:39 pm
Snape Lover

That's lovely Vita! High contrast is hard to balance (usually with low quality pics though), the colors here are perfect.

Old May 6th, 2009, 5:43 pm
Formerly Known as 82

Thanks Kala

Go from to

Program: PSP X2
Level: Easy - Mediumish
Translatable: Yes
Works best with: Images with dark colored backgrounds.
Spoiler: show

1) Just as I start any tutorial I should remind you that graphics work best with good quality images. The more HQ the better. It will save you from a major headache later. I cropped this base from an image I found on gettyimages.com. Much of the cropping is based off of where the watermarks fall on these images. Usually close ups found on this site have a watermark right across the face and it's just a pain to deal with so I usually opt for a 3/4th body panel of the actor or actress Im iconing. The watermark then (hopefully) falls around the torso and you can easily crop around it.

As stated above, this tutorials works MUCH better with images with darker backgrounds. Primeres are great, photographers usually always wear black so the person getting their photo taken pops out.

2) First thing we must do is get this base workable. Emma looks a little pale and washed out. By duplicating the base layer and setting it to soft light automatically more color pops into her face and already the people behind her are starting to disappear. If you base is exceptionally dark you may have to do both or only a screen layer insted. Screen will lighten up the face.

3) Since this image was resized it's a little blurry. (tip RESIZE ONLY ONCE! Your image will loose quality every time it is resized so for best results go from full size to 100x100 or whatever size graphic you are making) It's not too bad and since Im going for a little foggy look I sharpen only once

4) Next, I want to do a fix quick on the flatness of her face. By adjusting contrast. Making the whites a little whiter and the blacks a little blacker. You can go in an adjust settings by hand if you want but I found that auto-contrast works just fine This is just a basic icon so a cheat is always welcome!

For those interested the only contrast I adjusted was the RGB and auto set it at about 215, 225

5) Now it's time to start making the background even darker and help the shading around her face. You can do this by solid layers of black or dark gray but I chose this texture (maker unknown) and set it on soft light.

6)And to start adding the fogginess (as I call it) I discovered the use of the Difference setting! It replaces much of the gray bits and makes them blacker. I use another texture (same maker but still unknown) and set it on Difference on 20%

Notice how the black is starting to look a bit more matted?

7)Now it is time to adjust the coloring of the image! There are many ways to adust coloring, color fill layers, hue/saturation adjustments, selective coloring (not available in PSP) but my favorite since it is translatable across the board is the Channel Mixer. Bare in mind that settings for every image should be different. Adjust to what fits your image. I wanted to basically make the image a bit more saturated and put more blues and reds into it. Here are my settings.

RED: 107,-6
GREEN: -15, 114, 10
BLUE:-49,125,37

8)Next I want to darken the image up some since I see that it's starting to get a little too light. And easy way is a black layer on soft light but I used levels here set on 0, 146, 255

9) Now it's time to get rid of the bits of white and other colors behind Emma. I do this by first copy-merging and pasting on as a new layer. This way you can work with the icon as a whole now insted of layer by layer. I zoom in on the layer until it's about 400 - 500% size. This way I can work with the individual pixals more. I use the color dropper and find a dark area on the icon (I circled in red were I selected my color) As you can see it's not quite solid black. Black would be too harsh against Emma's skin and it's much easier to blend in a slightly gray color. I set my paint brush on a opacity around 60 and softness around 10 and carefully paint brush away the bits of white and lighter gray. With the low opacity it's safe to get close to her skin and face because the edges won't be harsh and even if a wisp of gray/black gets on her skin and hair it will be a such a low opacity it will blend and actually give a nice polished effect.

You can also use a smudge brush if you don't have much to color out

10)Now for the final touch and the secret of this icon is a layer of gray! Yes, it is that simple It gives a nice matted look but stil allows the contrast and the vibrancy of Emma's face to shine through. I set the gray on Lighten at about 13-15%

Examples!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Magical Masterpieces