Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Favorite artists that aren't well known

Old August 17th, 2007, 12:23 am
First Year

Re: Favorite bands that aren't well known

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxambiexox View Post
oh man! i love irish punk! i really like dropkick murphys... they are AMAZING! and yeah i am jealous that you ahev seen FM in concert 3 times now... bah!

but i was just thinking... has anyone here ever heard of Streetlight Manifesto?? they are a Ska band... and well just play drool worthy...
You have excellant taste in music. I completely forgot about Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys, which is amazing since I also love Irish punk.

Streetlight Manifesto are another good band I forgot. Ska music in general is a lot of fun. I got to see Big D and the Kids Table at the Warped Tour a few weeks ago, and they had probably one of the best performances of the day. They need to have more bands like that. They're starting to move away from their punk roots and now have more mainstream pop-rock bands, which is disappointing.

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:29 am
First Year

I love the band Blaqk Audio. The Kooks are also pretty good. THen some older stuff. But i love Transit Message and the NON

I LOVE Tom Felton, Oliver and James Phelps, and Rupert Grint

Ghost are transperant?
Old August 17th, 2007, 1:47 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstyles View Post
You have excellant taste in music. I completely forgot about Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys, which is amazing since I also love Irish punk.
I have to say that I have never listened to them, but my best friend just recorded with Dropkick Murphys and is going to be on their next album. I think that is pretty amazing. He is being credited for it by name too. So awesome.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old August 17th, 2007, 4:04 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by katishere View Post
Okay this isn't a unknown band, in fact it's quite the opposite, but I think this is a pretty unknown song by them. It's 'Time of Your Life' by Greenday-- I hate Greenday by the way, so judge the song by the fact that they sing it. I couldn't believe it was by them because it's so meaningful which is really not something you find to often in bands like Greenday. Has anyone heard of it? I don't think it ever got popular probably because of the fact that there's no stupid lyrics or screaming in it and that it actually has a point.
Are you kidding me? You think that song is unknown?! Quite the opposite! I've heard that song countless times on the radio and a million other places. I don't listen to Green Day much any more (I used to love them), but I'm going to defend them for a bit. Now it's not really my place to judge your critique of music (God only knows I bite the heads off of anyone who does that to me), but I don't think you quite get the point. Well, the point is that Green Day lyrics (besides 'American Idiot,' but I don't really count that) have no point. At all. They're not supposed to. And that's why I like them.

Okay, generally the bands I like aren't incredibly well known, but still vaguely popular.

-Ben Kweller (actually not many have heard of him, but a few of my friends have)
-Regina Spektor (okay, if you haven't heard of her by now, you're living under a rock)
-Snow Patrol
-Oasis
-Norah Jones (not that a lot of people don't know her, but a lot don't like her)
-Wizard Rock (only my closest buds know this)

If I'd only thought of something charming to say

This is the sound of settling.
Old August 17th, 2007, 7:35 am
First Year

Quote:

Streetlight Manifesto are another good band I forgot. Ska music in general is a lot of fun. I got to see Big D and the Kids Table at the Warped Tour a few weeks ago, and they had probably one of the best performances of the day. They need to have more bands like that. They're starting to move away from their punk roots and now have more mainstream pop-rock bands, which is disappointing.
Absolutely amazing. Flogging Molly, Streetlight, and Big D are my three top-listed bands. Last week I was at Warped and saw FM and Big D, but was unable to mosh much due to the heat. The index was registered at 110 F outside of the pits.

Another few I can name off (I stretch across many genres) are Five Iron Frenzy (broke up ) and Say Anything.

Old August 17th, 2007, 2:03 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheGueWeasley View Post
Hehe, yeah, it's hard to concentrate when you have to listen to lyrics ^^
Do you know Mogwai? They're also kind of like that, a lot of instrumental stuff
Yeah I know of Mogwai being from Scotland, I like them. They are part of the Reindeer Section too, some really great songs from that super group.

There is no greater pain than to remember, in our present grief, past happiness.
Old August 17th, 2007, 2:05 pm
Second Year

A lot of people that I've spoken to haven't heard of these bands:

Hatesphere
Amon Amarth
Dimmu Borgir
Adema

Old August 17th, 2007, 3:12 pm
Registered Animagus

Flogging Molly are hilarious. I saw them supporting Story of the Year in 2006 and whilst I cant call myself a fan they sure were very entertaining.

Quote:
I've heard of some of the bands posted here. Anyone heard of Within Temptation? They're a gothic band. I think my friend said they're Sweedish? Also there's Lacuna Coil, an Italian gothic band. But I think they're a little more popular now because I saw one of their videos on MTV.com.
I love Lacuna Coil! They're great. THey're not very well known here in Australia I dont think.

Last edited by Hysteria; August 17th, 2007 at 3:16 pm.
Old August 17th, 2007, 4:18 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knux7 View Post
Another few I can name off (I stretch across many genres) are Five Iron Frenzy (broke up ) and Say Anything.
wow, i used to love five iron frenzy back in my christian ska phase. i went to the skamania concert back in 98 on halloween and they dressed up as the supertones and the supertones dressed up as devo. and now i have the "these are not my pants" songs stuck in my head.
oh and say anthing's also good

Old August 17th, 2007, 5:46 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllagnire View Post
I have to say that I have never listened to them, but my best friend just recorded with Dropkick Murphys and is going to be on their next album. I think that is pretty amazing. He is being credited for it by name too. So awesome.
Right now I'm very jealous of your friend. I wish I could record with any of my favorite artists, but unfortunately I don't actually play any of those instuments (or sing). I just play clarinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knux7 View Post
Absolutely amazing. Flogging Molly, Streetlight, and Big D are my three top-listed bands. Last week I was at Warped and saw FM and Big D, but was unable to mosh much due to the heat. The index was registered at 110 F outside of the pits.

It was hot at our Warped Tour too, but not that hot. Luckily, it's always held right next to the lake, so we get a nice, cool, slightly fishy breeze. You just can't feel it while you're in the pits.

I'm also jealous of you because Flogging Molly didn't come to Milwaukee (or Chicago), so I didn't get to see them.

Old August 17th, 2007, 6:46 pm
First Year

SCRIM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mlvT6sCVY4
A new band thats just been signed in the UK, watch this theyr ace!

Old August 17th, 2007, 7:13 pm
First Year

Quote:
It was hot at our Warped Tour too, but not that hot. Luckily, it's always held right next to the lake, so we get a nice, cool, slightly fishy breeze. You just can't feel it while you're in the pits.

I'm also jealous of you because Flogging Molly didn't come to Milwaukee (or Chicago), so I didn't get to see them.
Oh right.. I forgot Indianapolis was their first show this year. We had 0 wind, but tons of guys standing around throwing ice and stuff. There was also a giant blow-up slippin' slide! I was still too hot to be able to get close and really enjoy FM though.. I was already blacking out and all that.

Ah, also, I forgot about Goldfinger. They broke up a little while back as well, but they're known for redoing Nena's 99 Red Balloons in English with their own lyrics. Nena herself liked it and sang their lyrics, too.

99 Red Balloons was my favorite song for a while, until I got into the Irish Punk thing (best genre ever)

Old August 18th, 2007, 1:20 am
First Year

Quote:
Tiger Army
YES. I adore Tiger Army and actually got to see them at Warped Tour this year. It was brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhsgirl191 View Post
I love the band Blaqk Audio.
And this was the other one I was going to mention. I can't stop playing Semiotic Love. It's such a great song to dance to.

Old August 18th, 2007, 10:02 am
Banned

Angra, Evergrey, Circus Maximus, Limbonic Art, Cynic, Spiral Architect, Theocracy, Rudra, Aryadeva, GraveDigger, Rage, Running Wild, StormWarrior, Steel Seal, Communic, Outworld, Vision Divine, Adagio, etc...

Old August 18th, 2007, 1:41 pm
First Year

^ Hey, there we go, Opeth I knew there'd be some somewhere. I'd estimate all those tracks would come up to nearly 2 hours; I used to listen to them a lot when I'd play a certain MMORPG that I've pledged I'll never play again...

I recognise Communic from your list, who I've listened to a bit. They sound great but I don't really enjoy them as much as I do Opeth.

Old August 18th, 2007, 1:51 pm
Banned

Opeth kick ***. But they are pretty mainstream in the underground, if you know what I mean. Most people know them.

Communic is amazing as well, but a style that is so reminiscent of Nevermore (More Progressive, perhaps) that you may get bored of them after a bit.

Old August 18th, 2007, 3:56 pm
First Year

I listen to a lot of metal bands who are not very known here, like Mägo de Oz, Elvenking, In Extremo, Edguy, Avantasia etc.

An also a lot of quebeker bands, Polémil Bazar, Mes Aïeux, Pierre Lapointe, Ariane Moffatt, Maharajah, etc.

I love music that sounds different. I'm listening Flogging Molly right now, thank you for that. ^^

Old August 18th, 2007, 5:57 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dred View Post
I listen to a lot of metal bands who are not very known here, like Mägo de Oz, Elvenking, In Extremo, Edguy, Avantasia etc.

An also a lot of quebeker bands, Polémil Bazar, Mes Aïeux, Pierre Lapointe, Ariane Moffatt, Maharajah, etc.

I love music that sounds different. I'm listening Flogging Molly right now, thank you for that. ^^

My sister is into the Mad Caddies if you want to check them out. They're one of the most unique bands I've ever heard. They have songs that sound like circus songs, and pirate songs, and all kinds of stuff.

Old August 21st, 2007, 8:39 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhsgirl191 View Post
I love the band Blaqk Audio.
my roommate just played me their cd on the way to disneyland this weekend. it was different and not my type of music, but i really enjoyed it. it's weird to think that it's from the guys of afi. davey's voice goes from high to low and sounds different in a bunch of the songs. most of the songs even seem like different genres. but theyr'e really good, i definitely suggest them.

Old August 21st, 2007, 9:49 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerdancer View Post
my roommate just played me their cd on the way to disneyland this weekend. it was different and not my type of music, but i really enjoyed it. it's weird to think that it's from the guys of afi. davey's voice goes from high to low and sounds different in a bunch of the songs. most of the songs even seem like different genres. but theyr'e really good, i definitely suggest them.
Blaqk Audio is amazing. AFI is my favorite band ever (I'm in the DF and all that), yet nothing like anything else I listen to, whereas BA is. So naturally, I adore it.

Davey tries to imitate the deep male vocals that are usually in dark electronic music, but his voice gets high by the chorus anyway. It makes me giggle, and I love it.

Anyway, here are a few (a FEW?!) bands I listen to, and I've met some people who don't know of them:
VNV Nation
Assemblage 23
Imperative Reaction
Apoptygma Berzerk
Covenant
The Birthday Massacre
Dope Stars Inc.
And One
The Cruxshadows
Emilie Autumn
Infected Mushroom
Ladytron
Freezepop
Combichrist
Wumpscut
Celldweller
Voltaire
Rammstein
Refused
Mindless Self Indulgence
Neuroticfish
Panzer AG
BlutEngel

A lot of that's electronic-y, I know.

I also really enjoy the 80's Goth music, like Siouxsie and the Banshees and Sisters of Mercy, which a lot of people don't listen to.

JoJ and scarling. are two of my favorite bands, ever...

I have almost nine days of music on my computer, so I could go on a while. And most of my music's slightly obscure. I like AFI, Madonna, Depeche Mode, Marilyn Manson, NIN, The Cure...those are the only ones I can think of at the moment that get played on the radio or MTV.

Eek.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)