Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Regulus Arcturus Black: Character Analysis

Old October 11th, 2007, 4:08 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Regulus Arcturus Black: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Why do you feel that Regulus knew ahead of time he was not going to leave the cave? I am not doubting you, I just don't remember any canon about that bit.
It's the quote form HBP I put up earlier. In his note to Voldemort, Regulus wrote:

"I face death in the hope that when you meet your match you will be mortal once more. "

Quote:
But since Regulus was going to be sought and killed by Voldy, he elected to
die by poison rather than whatever horrible death Voldy would meter out.
I have difficulty believing it would be more horrible than the death Regulus chose for himself.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2007, 4:20 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
It's the quote form HBP I put up earlier. In his note to Voldemort, Regulus wrote:

"I face death in the hope that when you meet your match you will be mortal once more. "
So that is assuming he wrote the note before he left home? I imagine that may have well been the case. It doesn't alter my view though, I was just curious. Thanks.

Quote:
I have difficulty believing it would be more horrible than the death Regulus chose for himself.
Well I dunno...considering Charity Burbage's death, which to me was much more torturous and horrible, I would have to respectfully disagree. In addition, Charity wasn't a DE who'd betrayed Voldy - I can't begin to imagine the horrible things he might do to those who betrayed him, but I would imagine it would be much worse than the pain of drinking poison. Also, the autonomous decision was a further slap in the face for Voldemort, imo.

Old October 11th, 2007, 5:17 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Because before the fact, Regulus didn't know that Voldy had set a plan for immortality into action. He wasn't planning to leave Voldy out of fear (death if he did). So sending Kreacher along was all in a day's atrocious work. At that point, he knew he was putting Kreacher's life at risk, imo. However, later when Regulus found out the immortal plan, he was like, no way dude - not society subjected to this forever. That is when he decided to betray.
So, you think that Regulus really drew the line at Horcruxes and Kreacher didn't really factor into it? If that were true, my opinion of Regulus would be diminished. I prefer the interpretation that Regulus was moved by Voldemort mistreating his house elf. I agree, though, that it's not entirely clear whether Regulus was moved to act because of Kreacher or because of the Horcruxes:
DH, Kreacher's Tale'What did Regulus say when you told him what had happened?'

'Master Regulus was very worried, very worried,' croaked Kreacher. 'Master Regulus told Kreacher to stay hidden, and not to leave the house. And then ... it was a little while later ... Master Regulus came to find Kreacher in his cupboard one night, and Master Regulus was strange, no as he usually was, disturbed in his mind, Kreacher could tell ... and he asked Kreacher to take him to the cave, the cave where Kreacher had gone with the Dark Lord ...'
From this description, I think it's quite possible that Voldemort's treatment of Kreacher was what first made Regulus think that Voldemort was depraved and that he subsequently learned of the Horcruxes. That would explain Regulus referencing the Horcrux in his letter and why Regulus appeared "strange" to Kreacher the night they went to the cave. Regulus volunteered Kreacher to go with Voldemort in the first place and I don't think he'd have done that, if he thought Kreacher would be harmed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwb
Why do you feel that Regulus knew ahead of time he was not going to leave the cave?
Because Kreacher had told him what happened in the cave. Regulus would have known that one of them would have to drink the potion in the basin. And, as zgirnius pointed out, Regulus would have had the locket with the note in it ready ahead of time. Regulus planned that he would not come out alive, though it's not clear to me that he felt it had to be the case. It seems like they'd have been able to bring a bottle of water with them and take the boat back.

Not that he's important to the story or anything...

Snape's Army Headquarters

Does your personality determine what your favorite Harry Potter character is?
Click here
to help find out!

Original avatar artwork by mirrorcradle
Old October 11th, 2007, 5:52 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chievrefueil View Post
So, you think that Regulus really drew the line at Horcruxes and Kreacher didn't really factor into it? If that were true, my opinion of Regulus would be diminished. I prefer the interpretation that Regulus was moved by Voldemort mistreating his house elf. I agree, though, that it's not entirely clear whether Regulus was moved to act because of Kreacher or because of the Horcruxes:
DH, Kreacher's Tale'What did Regulus say when you told him what had happened?'

'Master Regulus was very worried, very worried,' croaked Kreacher. 'Master Regulus told Kreacher to stay hidden, and not to leave the house. And then ... it was a little while later ... Master Regulus came to find Kreacher in his cupboard one night, and Master Regulus was strange, no as he usually was, disturbed in his mind, Kreacher could tell ... and he asked Kreacher to take him to the cave, the cave where Kreacher had gone with the Dark Lord ...'
From this description, I think it's quite possible that Voldemort's treatment of Kreacher was what first made Regulus think that Voldemort was depraved and that he subsequently learned of the Horcruxes. That would explain Regulus referencing the Horcrux in his letter and why Regulus appeared "strange" to Kreacher the night they went to the cave. Regulus volunteered Kreacher to go with Voldemort in the first place and I don't think he'd have done that, if he thought Kreacher would be harmed.
Well I think it is good you have an interpretation that leaves you happy with Regulus (reminds me of our convo about Harry's kid, I said it that time tho. ). I think you are right, it can be interpreted either way, so we can both have our views and be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chievrefueil View Post
Because Kreacher had told him what happened in the cave. Regulus would have known that one of them would have to drink the potion in the basin. And, as zgirnius pointed out, Regulus would have had the locket with the note in it ready ahead of time. Regulus planned that he would not come out alive, though it's not clear to me that he felt it had to be the case. It seems like they'd have been able to bring a bottle of water with them and take the boat back.
I agree...that is another little plot hole you have indicated I think. Why wouldn't they take water? LOL...I think must be because Regulus wasn't planning to drink water, he determined that he would die that way rather than at Voldy's hand. But maybe he didn't know about the water?

Old November 13th, 2007, 8:48 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Regulus planned that he would not come out alive, though it's not clear to me that he felt it had to be the case. It seems like they'd have been able to bring a bottle of water with them and take the boat back.
Well, don't get me wrong, but I assumed that it was something like a samuri that has brought dishonor to themselves and kill themselves. Regulus had backed the wrong person and he had known it for a long time and further to that, he allowed LV to control his life, which almost lead to the death of a loyal friend.

Old November 16th, 2007, 11:44 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

1. How did Regulus figure out what the horcrux was, and where?
Kretcher admits to telling him about the locket and where it was as far as the fact that it was a horcrux, I think it is possible that he could have heard Voldemort talking about how he was taking necessary steps to become immortal. I think somehow he had all the pieces of the puzzle and he just had to put it together.

2. Did he think there was only one?
Yes I do. I think the note would suggest that he thought so. He says that he will destroy it so that when Voldemort meets his match he would be mortal and be able to die. If Regulas thought there were others out there he probably would not have phrased it that way. Also, if he studied about how horrible it was to create the horcrux he probably would assume that no one would want to do that more than once.

3. Did he and Sirius fight, get along, or not care about the other?
I like to think that at some point in life they loved each other like brothers. But I think they were estranged and indifferent when Sirius ran away.

4. Why didn't he make Kreacher drink the potion again?
Because he was brave. He knew that Kreacher had almost died the first time he drank it and he did not want him to have to go through it again. He also did not want to treat Kretcher the same way that Voldemort had treated him.

5. How did he get Kreacher on his side?
I think Kretcher was always on his side. Reg was always nice to Krecher and he knew that his mistress loved Regulas and was proud of him. I think he was happy to serve Reg.

6. Did he die of the potion?
I don't think so. The last we saw him he was being pulled under by the Inferi, they either killed him or he drowned. He would have been able to drink some of the water and the pain from the potion would have subsided a bit.

7. Is he now one of the inferi in the cave?
I believe that it was once mentioned that inferi had to be made by a dark spell or curse. I like to think that his soul made it behind the Veil. He deserved that much.

8. Did he truly believe the Slytherin mentality?
I think he did in the beginning. His room is proof of that. He was proud of his House. But I think as he saw Voldemort for the horror that he was, I think he would have questioned not only his methods but his beliefs as well.

9. Do you think that his change of mind was affected by Sirius being a Gryffindor?
No, but I like to think that towards the end he admired his brother in some way for being able to stand against Voldemort and not buy into the ideals. I also like to think that Regulas thought of protecting not only his mother and father, but also Sirius and that is why he instructed Krecher to tell no one the truth of what happened in the cave.

Old November 18th, 2007, 9:54 pm
Third Year

I read book 6 again, and saw the second comment saying Regulus had left Voldemort's service but only lasted a few days before they got him.

I suppose Sirius could have learned from Kreacher that his brother had left Voldemort's service, and he passed it along, but it doesn't fit because Kreacher didn't seem to realize Regulus had opposed Voldemort until Harry explained it.

I think Regulus's death as described in book 7 is a continuity error.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 4:44 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I also have a doubt about Regulus's death. From what Lupin says, it's obvious that they found out that he was dead. So, I'm assuming that the inferi dragged him underwater, and killed him. There were no witnesses except for Kreacher.

I'm guessing that Voldemort got there, found Regulus's body, and let it be found, as a message for any more betrayers. If that was the case, why didn't he check the potion to see if the horcrux was intact? Shouldn't the game have been up right then?
I commented on this a couple of pages back.

Regulus goes missing. His family (or Sirius at any rate) assume he has been done in by the DEs as he was becoming disaffected. Kreacher is under oath not to tell anyone what has happened so he isn't going to let the Blacks know what has become of Regulus.

But if the Blacks know Regulus is missing then so do the DEs - he'd only have to miss a few Lodge Meetings for them to figure it out. And they KNOW the DEs haven't done him in - and Voldy knows that for sure. If Voldy thinks Reg has run out on them, he'd put a pursuit in operation and expect it to come up with results, as with Karkaroff. If Voldy connected Reg in any way with the cave horcrux (and as far as Voldy knows, Reg should just be minus one house elf) he'd have gone to the cave to check and the game would have been up. So we assume Voldy didn't do that.

So why the certainty on the Blacks' part that Reg was killed?

The fact that Sirius knew Reg to have been disaffected makes me think it wasn't just Kreacher's experience that moved him to get the horcrux. That however seems to have been the final impetus to do something. If Reg died there in the cave, then presumably Voldy wouldn't know that his horcrux had been tampered with. But if he went on the run and got caught, he might be tortured into letting that fact be known. For Reg's act to work, he had to die in a way and place that Voldy wouldn't know of, hence his choice to drink the potion and be dragged under by the Inferi.

However you look at it, it was a very heroic act.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:47 pm
Fifth Year

I really have no clue. I doubt he overheard Voldemort, as Voldy seems to be a bit more keen than that. I would say he did some research, but Hermione had a difficult time figuring anything out, although those unsavory books would probably not be kept in a a school library anyway. Maybe because the Black family had a, um dark side allowed him to find out more information about something as evil as a horcrux?

He either thought he was the only one who knew or the only one woul recognized the evil and would do something about it. This sense of lonliness, to me, would be the reason he acted as he did in getting the horcrux.

Sirius must have had a reason for hating Slytherin (as he chose/was sorted into Gryffindor) and I have to think that if he had gotten along with his brother he wouldn't have been so against Slytherin. I'm sure Sirius either fought with Regulus or denied his existence after he became a Death Eater. I would suppose they had fights, as many siblings do, but they mostly just ignored each other.

I don't think he wanted to be like Voldemort and make Kreacher drink it. Although it probably wouldn't have killed Kreacher, and the elf would have done it, I would hope that Regulus would have wanted to cause him that pain again.

He might have just been nice to him and appreciated him. It's possibly as simple as that.

While I don't think he died immediately after drinking the potion, he could have died as a result of it (in a way like Dumbledore was so severely weakened). Dumbledore, however, was a much more powerful wizard, and probably could have sustained more damage.

I really never thought of that. I don't think so, but I suppose I can't really rule it out.

He did at first; however, his beliefs must have changed, or he wouldn't have attempted to destroy the horcrux.

9. Do you think that his change of mind was affected by Sirius being a Gryffindor?
Possibly. I think, however, that it was more of a personal decision and a realization that what he was doing as a Death Eater was very wrong.

Gerald M. Loeb
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:56 pm
Second Year

I'm not entirely sure about this. His family thrived with the Dark Arts, so I'm sure he was at an advantage there and had some connections. But I don't think that Voldemort confided in him or anything like that. I think alot of it was down to intellect and good research.

He might have done. He might have set about researching Horcruxes, learning that you can make more than one although it's very dangerous, and I think he thought that Voldemort wouldn't risk doing it too much, for his bid for immortality might just be destroyed by the one thing that helps gain it. Either that, or he knew there would be more than one, and that he would only have the means of going about destroying one until somebody found out, therefore ending his life. He knew that he couldn't keep it a secret for long and that surely someone would notice that a Horcrux has been destroyed, and Voldemort would be less than merciful when he found out who had done it. He wanted to end Voldemort, he probably knew he alone couldn't do that - but he wanted to make sure he could do something to help.

I think they probably fought, but not loads. Not like fist fighting, but I'm sure they didn't get along. Regulus was transfixed with the Dark Arts and Sirius was dead set against them, so I think that because the houses clashed so much, so would the two brothers. They probably both thought that the other had bad blood. Sirius was the only one to be sorted into Gryffindor, so Regulus probably thought that as a betrayal like the rest of his family, and Sirius hated the Dark Arts and thankfully got sorted into Gryffindor, he resented his family and their Slytherin line - so why excuse his brother? I'm pretty sure they clashed immensely or just ignored one another.

In his eyes, this had nothing to do with Kreacher. This was his journey and his voyage and it was something he had to do along the way to succeed in his plans. Drinking the potion was just another bridge he had to cross to get to the locket and he didn't want Kreacher to go through something he knew he personally had to do. Kreacher had already done it once and survived it, he didn't want the poor thing to re-live that experience again. And like I said, this was Regulus's battle, he knew he was the one who had to do it.

I think he was probably one of the few people who didn't treat him like vermin. I don't think there was any massive reason or did any big gesture to get him on side, just personally treating him decently. Also, I think Kreacher treated him well because he was a Black, and he was true to the family name for a very long time, he probably grew to like Regulus and vice versa. Treating someone the way they deserve to be treated often pays off.

I think he could have died from it. I know Dumbledore did not die, but Dumbledore was a much more powerful wizard than he was, therefore could have fought alot better. That potion even made Dumbledore writhe in agony, so I think he would have been twice as bad, and in the end possibly too much for him to handle, therefore dying.

I think that is possible. He did get dragged into the Inferi so I won't rule it out, I think it is very possible that he became one, instead of just lying at the bottom of the lake lifeless.

I think at one point he must have done. When he was in his Death Eater days and a lover of the Dark Arts, I think he definitely believed it. But then he mellowed down and came to realise the error of his ways, so he probably stopped believing it then, and grew to hate everything that Slytherin and Voldemort were about....How it destroys people and messes with their heads.

Not really. Through their schooling they were in seperate houses and it didn't seem to bother him then. I think his change of mind was simply his own decision and not reflected on anyone else. He realised what he was doing was wrong and finally returned to the real world where people don't thrive on causing others pain and where people aren't completely obsessed with the purity of blood. I think with the pressure that his mother and family put on him to be a Slytherin and to be a fan of the Dark Arts was the main reason he got into all that in the first place, he had that throughout his childhood and I think gradually as he grew up he realised that's not the person he wants to be.

Severus Snape
Heart of a Warrior, Blood of a Prince.

Last edited by KOTMods; December 1st, 2007 at 10:59 pm.
Old April 5th, 2008, 4:52 pm
First Year

Ahh Nice character to analise .

I'm pretty sure it say's somewhere in the book that Regulus found out what and where it is by Voldemort's Bragging? Maybe i imagined that though :P. I'll check when i get home.
If not, i figure Kreacher may have told him about the cave and what Voldemort made him do.

I beleive so. From what his note say's, Regulus states that he destroyed the horcrux in hope that when he [Voldemort] meet's his match, he will be able to lose, permenantly.

I think that Sirius and Regulus would have fought most the time, and the rest of the time, just ignored each other. Sirius hated his entire family, hated Slytherins and hated the dark arts with a passion. This is the opposite to Regulus. He loved Lord Voldemort (at the time), he loved the dark art's and he was in Slytherin. If you think about it logically, there was little chance people so completely different could even be friends.

Why would he? He loved Kreacher, they where good friends. Besides, Regulus wanted revenge on Voldemort and he wanted to do it personally. The fact that he didnt make Kreacher drink it was his first act of bravery. The first act of nothing but a good deed. Obviously then after, he gave kreacher the locket to destroy (to try and destroy LV), another good deed, then he was killed by the Inferi. So so sad ='[ He was just turning good.

He didnt really 'Get Kreacher on his side', They where friend's. Kreacher liked Regulus because he was so kind and loving towards the poor thing. Regulus was, out of the Black family, the nicest towards Kreacher, and the little monster never ever forgot it.

No. I think not. We saw what happened to Dumbledore, and we heard from Kreacher about his own tale of the Potion-Drinking, that all it does is put visions in your head about your worst nightmares and worst experiences, torchering the drinkers. The first thing they all want is water either to wash it down, or possibly because the potion is gross :P. As the drinker goes for some water, the Inferi are triggered. The most likely story is that Regulus was pulled into the water, drowned or was murdered by the foul beasts.

I beleive he is either one of them, or just a dead, motionless body somewhere near the bottom.

Until the day he died (literally) and on that very day, his mindset changed (In my opinion.). He always beleived in all the Pure blood mumbo jumbo, and he loved the dark arts with a passion! And he was a DE! The only person in the novels that it shows him being kind towards is Kreacher (which, to be honest, isnt normal for the Slytherin mentality) but other than that, he loves everything Slytherin.

No. They where in different houses all through there schooling and it never changed his mind then. He changed his mind on his own accord when he saw first hand the kind of madness and torture the Dark Lord was capable of when he tortured Kreacher.

R.A.B proves that people do make mistakes, but there is always a chance to turn back and make it right.
Old April 5th, 2008, 5:04 pm
Sixth Year

Ah Regulus. Haven't talked about him for quite a while.

-Yes I think he did. Although there is a possibility he thought there might be more, because in his note he says that he is helping whoever it is in the future that will finally vanquish Voldemort rather than actually doing the job himself.

-They most definitely fought. They were both at opposite ends of the spectrum. It upsets me that Sirius never knew the truth about what happened to his brother, for if he did I think he would be overcome with regret but he would have the utmost respect for Regulus, and Regulus would be completely redeemed in his eyes.

-Because he didn't want Kreacher to die.

-I think it is quite possible that the potion certainly weakened him to such an extent that it made it easy for him to die yes.

-Oh no! That's a horrible thought! Since I don't know that much about inferi, I'm not so sure. I hope he isn't though.

~ Eric Northman ~

Because real vampires don't sparkle.

Old June 5th, 2008, 7:18 am
Fourth Year

2. Did he think there was only one? No, I believe Severus Snape was the other Death Eater who knew about the Horcruxes. I still believe he was the only other one Voldemort trusted to give inside information.
3. Did he and Sirius fight, get along, or not care about the other? Like most Siblings, I think they probably fought. If two kids were polar opposites, it was those two. To Sirius, Regulus probably represented every ill in Slytherin House. To add insult to injury, Regulus was the Captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team, good looking and probably popular too. He was also their Mother's favourite. Sirius was the total opposite. If you take a really close look at things,
4. Why didn't he make Kreacher drink the potion again? Because he realized the horrible affects it had on the drinker. He had a conscience, couldn't stand to see anyone, especially a defenseless House Elf who was dependant on people to look after him and take care of his basic needs. Basically I think he saw Kreacher suffering and saw a helpless animal suffering. Nobody looked after him, unless it would wind up being for their benefit. Even though he was a Slytherin, he couldn't stand to watch someone else suffer and was willing to die to maybe help take Voldemort down. Plus he also realized if Kreacher drank the potion, he'd be even more enslaved to Voldemort and his sick methods, ways, etc.
5. How did he get Kreacher on his side? Simple. He was kind to Kreacher. He treated him with respect and maybe was even disgusted with how his Mother and other Family members treated him.
6. Did he die of the potion? Yes, or it may have lead to his death. We saw Dumbledore drinking the potion and suffer horribly from it. He was getting more unsteady on his feet, suffered more symptoms from the potion as time wore on. However, he had Harry with him to help keep him a level head. Regulus was on his own. Ok, Kreacher was physically strong, but Regulus was a full grown man being dragged down by the Infereni(sorry, I know I've got it wrong). You'd need a really strong Adult to pull you from their grips, know the proper spell and have a cool head to execute that spell. Yes, he was with Kreacher, but it wasn't like having a rational Adult who was able to reason with him. Dumbledore knew Harry would do exactly as he was told. He'd run to get Snape, bring him out to help him.
7. Is he now one of the inferi in the cave? I never thought of that, but maybe. Maybe even you have a pure soul, you die wanting vengeance to a living soul.
8. Did he truly believe the Slytherin mentality? Maybe to a certain extent because he had an early exposure to their Pure-Blood prejudiced and from his House mates. He'd naturally truly believe he was superior to half-bloods or muggle borns. However, maybe as he grew up he realized he was wrong.
9. Do you think that his change of mind was affected by Sirius being a Gryffindor? No, I don't think so. He and Sirius didn't have that "Brotherly" relationship for Sirius to have that kind of affect on him. Plus I think his Mother maybe influenced him from an early age that Gryffindors were "blood traitors" and shouldn't be associated, were a shame to society. She and other members of the Black Family ousted Sirius.

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Old June 5th, 2008, 7:35 am
Fourth Year

Really How ever you put it and however you look at it Regulus did what he thought was rught. And he wasn't willing to stand by and watch elves be tortured by some evil freak. He acted as a hero and got the horcrux away from where it was suppose to be by way of Kreacher. That is why in the fifth book when there cleaning out the drawing room i believe they find the locket.

And LV thought that they were all safe so he wouldn't have worried about that. Even in DH he is only finding out that they are being destroyed, that is why he is keeping Nagini so close because she is a horcrux. and why he put one of the Alecto's to watch the ravenclaw common room.

Old June 6th, 2008, 6:01 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
The credit for these questions go to HGHPRW.

A few questions to start with:

I think the where came from Kreacher, who had been to the cave with Voldemort. As for the what, it would have been clear from Kreachers' story that the locket was something Voldemort valued highly as there was such a degree of protection on it. It would have to be a powerful object, of hugely Dark Magic. Since I wouldn't put it past the Ancient and Noble House of Black to have books on the Dark Arts in the Grimmauld Place library, Regulus may have gone into Hermione-type research mode and rooted out Horcruxes as the obvious solution, or may have previously read about them in the library.

Quote:
Probably, as he met his death in the hope that Voldemort would be mortal again. By that I take it to mean he was expecting Kreacher to destroy the real locket. If he had believed there were more, a Slytherin would be intelligent enough not to expect that another person would figure out something he needed eye-witness testimony to realise. He would, I think have made an effort to get word to Dumbledore, who was known as Voldemorts' major opponent at the time.

Quote:
I don't exactly think they didn't care about each other, I think they were just too different to get on. They may have been closer when they were younger and drifted apart as their values became more evidently different. I think Sirius did care about Regulus, he rather despised his parents, clearly, but Regulus, he seems to show more regret and sadness than anytihng else, IMO- he describes him as a "stupid idiot" who believed what their parents told him, joine dthe Death Eaters and balked at what he was expected to do- seems he understood his brother was not a true hardcore DE a la Bellatrix, but regretted Regulus' decisions.
I think Regulus did, in fact care about Sirius, he forbade Kreacher to tell anyone what happened to keep his family safe. Even though Sirius was estranged from his family at the time, he would still have been more of a prime target than ever if Regulus' actions against Voldemort were known.

Quote:
Because he cared about Kreacher and didn't wish to inflict that on him again. Voldemort forced Kreacher to drink that torturous potion and that appalled Regulus- why would he do the same thing himself? Regulus' reaction to Kreachers' story was immediate horror, I believe this was becasue of what happened to Kreacher, I doubt it was becasue he immediately knew the locket was a Horcrux. Because he knew he couldn't return to Voldemort- out of conscience and Voldemorts' Legilimency skills, and leaving in any case would result in his death.

Quote:
Kreacher seems to have always been "on his side". Sirius, who despised Kreacher, was the only member of his family he seems to have disliked. I believe Regulus treated Kreacher quite well, by house-elf standards, judging by his mournful retelling of Regulus' fate, even years later.

Quote:
I think we are told he was dragged into the lake by the Inferi, so he probably drowned, but was weakened by the potion and so less able to fight.

Quote:
I don't think so, I think a spell of some sort may be required to turn a corpse into an Inferius.

Quote:
I think he drank in what his parents told him about pure-blood supremacy and this was re-inforced by some of his peers at Hogwarts. However, I think it's clear he didn't believe murder and torture was the way to go about this. While some would say his actions in the cave are very Gryffindor, I think, however, he did show a very Slytherin willingness to "go to any means" -even his own death- to "achieve his ends" - making Voldemort mortal again.

Quote:
I think it definitely had an impact on him- his parents' anger at Sirius being a Gryffindor may have made him more determined to please them and be the perfect son. Although, later it may have helped him to see there was another way than the path he was following.

Quote:

I think I'd rather face the potion than Voldemort in Regulus' shoes to be honest- someone has already mentioned Charity Burbage, I'd like to add what his supporters did to the Longbottoms, he was happy to torture a fourteen year old and his own supporters who were still loyal- imagine what he'd do to a traitor to his side before he killed them.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old June 19th, 2008, 6:15 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I think I'd rather face the potion than Voldemort in Regulus' shoes to be honest- someone has already mentioned Charity Burbage, I'd like to add what his supporters did to the Longbottoms, he was happy to torture a fourteen year old and his own supporters who were still loyal- imagine what he'd do to a traitor to his side before he killed them.
I agree, I feel that Voldemort would have selected a horribly tortrous death for Regulus if he defected from the fold. Voldemort killed many people in horrible ways, Charity, the old man at his old home, etc. And even Snape who he felt was loyal to him got a terrible death of suffering. And Voldemort wasn't not as angry at these people as he would have been at Regulus for betraying him, imo. I think Regulus choosing his own manner of death, while horrible, was still better than what Voldemort would have done to him.

Old November 9th, 2008, 9:18 pm
First Year

Well, as we saw in GoF during the graveyard scene, Voldemort kept dropping little hints about how he had "gone further than anyone else on the road to immortality" or something along those lines to his Death Eaters, probably assuming that nobody would be clever enough to figure them out. But when Kreacher told him about the Locket, Regulus put two and two together and realised that Voldemort had made a Horcrux. The "where" would also have come from Kreacher. Didn't Regulus ask Kreacher to take him to the cave?

He might have guessed there was more than one Horcrux, again because Voldemort seemed so convinced he was "more immortal" than any other wizard had ever been. But he couldn't have been sure, because he didn't know as much about Voldemort's past as Harry and Dumbledore.

I think they had a kind of silent hatred for each other, not fighting exactly, but both thinking they were better than the other, making snide comments sometimes, but generally trying to ignore each other. At Hogwarts they probably pretended they didn't know each other, because, to Regulus, Sirius was a disgrace to the Black family and Sirius hated his whole family anyway and wouldn't have wanted to have anything to do with Slytherins in general.

Because he really cared for Kreacher. As much as I love Sirius, you've got to admit that he treated Kreacher terribly; he would certainly have made him drink the potion, if he'd been in Regulus' place. But to Regulus, Kreacher was more than just an animal without emotions. He couldn't bear to see him suffer - and, after all, Voldemort's treatment of Kreacher was one of the things that changed Regulus' opinion in the first place; he wouldn't have gone on to do the same horrible thing to Kreacher, would he?

That's easy: he was just nice to him. As Dumbledore mentions in OotP I think, Kreacher would have been loyal to anyone who treated him well - and there weren't many who did - so he probably saw it as a great honour to help "Master Regulus".

No, I think the final effect of the potion was making the drinker so thirsty that he couldn't help but touch the water eventually, and would be taken by the Inferi. Voldemort would have seen that as more "effective" death for his victim, because he could then be another protector of the Horcrux and serve Voldemort.

Yes, I think he is. See my answer above!

*First of all I'd like to say that Slytherins are the most misunderstood people in the books. To me, the "Slytherin mentality" is not hating Muggleborns, being a bully and killing for fun. Not all Slytherins are like Malfoy, people! Yeah, all Slytherins we see in the books are, but I can't really figure out what's wrong with being ambitious and cunning and not just running of to save everyone without thinking about it first (also known as The Hero Complex). Okay, now to the question. But I had to get that of my mind
If by "Slytherin mentality" you mean the attitude that pure-bloods are superior to everyone else, I think Regulus did believe it, because he believed all the rubbish his parents and the rest of the family fed him. That's not that abnormal: Most children have the same beliefs and mentality as their parents, just because they've grown up with them and didn't encounter any different points of view until they were older. Regulus was never as "rebel" as Sirius, joined the Death Eaters mainly because it was sort of expected from him, and didn't develop his own opinion until shortly before he died. So, yes, he did believe in it, but you can't blame him as much as his parents.

No, not at all. Regulus, having been "brainwashed" by the rest of the family would have seen it as a disgrace. If anything, it fueled his belief that Gryffindors were all stupid

Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let's economize it!
Mark Twain

icon by distressedicons
Old February 6th, 2009, 6:20 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
The credit for these questions go to HGHPRW.

A few questions to start with:

Ok...I'm going to completely go out on a limb here. I know the Regulus that exists in my mind is probably nothing at all like anything you've ever heard, but just hear me out.

1. His family was big into Dark Magic. He probably asked a family member.
2. He strikes me as a bit naive, so yes.
3. I think Regulus idolized Sirius, but I also think that Sirius was jealous of him for being the favorite so he was happy to trade up for his friends at Hogwarts.
4. I think that with Sirius gone and the rest of the family so self-involved, Kreatcher was his only real friend.
5. Regulus was the only one in the Black family who was kind to him.
6. no. Kreatcher said something about him being drowned.
7. I hope he is, as sadistic as it sounds. That'd be the only way he could return.
8. I don't think so, but he had to be the dutiful son. I think he would've done anything for his family.
9. in an indirect manner. I think Regulus's life took a dramatic turn when Sirius was disowned, and he was going to pick up where his brother left off since he couldn't get him back.

I make my own rules
Old February 6th, 2009, 7:51 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Did he die of the potion?
I've always assumed he did, ever since reading Deathly Hallows. It's possible he didn't know to take a bottle of water in, or that Voldemort had enchanted the cave to vaporise all water except what was in the lake- after all, even Dumbledore didn't take water in when he and Harry went to the cave, and I'd be willing to bet he knew something about it.

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:03 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
I've always assumed he did, ever since reading Deathly Hallows. It's possible he didn't know to take a bottle of water in, or that Voldemort had enchanted the cave to vaporise all water except what was in the lake- after all, even Dumbledore didn't take water in when he and Harry went to the cave, and I'd be willing to bet he knew something about it.
It said in the book that Regulus was dragged into the lake by the inferi.

"I would assume that you were going to offer me refreshment, but the evidence so far suggests that that would be optimistic to the point of foolishness."
- Albus Dumbledore

I've Been Sorted!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies