Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Regulus Arcturus Black: Character Analysis

Old July 30th, 2007, 11:32 pm
Third Year

Regulus Arcturus Black: Character Analysis

The story that Regulus died in the lake was horrific. When it was explained that he did it to protect his family, something didn't feel right. It was stupid!

#1) My friend said "No body: not dead" with regard to whether Sirius was really dead. But Sirius had found out somehow that his brother Regulus was dead. How could he learn this if Kreacher was forbidden to tell the family what happened? I don't think they ever recovered the body. It couldn't be some kind of magic tied to a will. Others were killed and the Ministry didn't know right away, like Mr. Crouch and Bertha Jorkins.

#2) Dumbledore told Draco he could hide him and his family from Voldemort by pretending they were dead. How did this work? At the end of the book, there was no revelation that one of those who died (and told to the prime minister) was really sent into hiding. "Hi, I'm back - Snape didn't kill me, Dumbledore faked my death!"

#3) Voldemort could somehow track down people like Karkaroff. How, by the Dark Mark? And if he didn't know Regulus was dead, wouldn't he go looking for him, again like Karkaroff. How could Regulus convince Voldemort to leave his family alone if he just disappeared?

#4) How did Sirius learn his brother was killed after getting "cold feet" over becoming a Death Eater? It just doesn't make sense. If Regulus wanted to protect his family, they'd think he was a loyal Death Eater who died on a mission for Voldemort.

#5) If he wanted to protect his family, why leave a note saying he'd taken the locket?

I much prefer my hypothesis or prediction before this book that Regulus showed "cold feet" and the Dark Lord put the word out after him. Then he stole the locket and went to Knockturn Alley to try to find a book on Horcruxes but was killed by his Death Eater "friends." Then everyone would know he was dead, some would know he had "cold feet" and Voldemort might leave his family alone.

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2007, 8:08 am
First Year

Re: Regulus Arcturus Black: Character Analysis

He didn't do it to protect his family. I thought that at first too, but on rereading I realized it wasn't the case. What Hermione meant was that Regulus did not tell Kreacher his reason for stealing the locket or changing his mind because he wanted to protect them - his reasoning being that if they, like Regulus, came to the same realization Regulus did about Voldemort, they would also switch allegiances and make themselves targets for the Death Eaters. I think Regulus believed that if his family were kept largely ignorant of Voldemort's atrocities, they would be safe.

I really like that Regulus came around because of Voldemort's mistreatment of Kreacher. It reflects what his brother said in GoF, that a man's true nature is exposed through how he treats his inferiors. It must have been a real eye-opener for Regulus, to see his former idol for the cruel and heartless monster he really was.

Old August 1st, 2007, 7:42 pm
First Year

1. How did Regulus figure out what the horcrux was, and where?
Voldemort must have claimed a numerous times that he went furthest on the path of immortality, as he did in GoF. Regulus was a Black, a traditional wizarding family, who must have had books dealing on Dark Magic--Regulus might have gone through the concept of a Horcrux once, and, after Kreacher's story, he probably assumed that the locket was a Horcrux.

2. Did he think there was only one?
I don't think he ever thought there was only one, he just never thought there could have been more of them.

3. Did he and Sirius fight, get along, or not care about the other?
I think that in the early childhood days, they were probably getting along, despite Sirius' 'anormality'. However, as time went on, and they became Hogwarts student, they probably suffered a rift -- maybe because they belonged to different houses, maybe because of their personalities. I think they did care about each other, but they ended up believing themselves that they didn't.

4. Why didn't he make Kreacher drink the potion again?
Because that was what had disgusted himself in the first place.

5. How did he get Kreacher on his side?
Kreacher was always on his side, as he had always treated Kreacher without hatred, unlike his brother.

6. Did he die of the potion?
No, but probably the inferi killed him.

7. Is he now one of the inferi in the cave?
If Voldemort was capable of putting a strong spell, that everybody would turn into an inferius if they died there, then he is.

8. Did he truly believe the Slytherin mentality?
Initially, yes. But the farther he went on the Slytherin path, the more he realized its flaws and mistakes.

9. Do you think that his change of mind was affected by Sirius being a Gryffindor?
If he had indeed been close to Sirius in his childhood years, then yes. Otherwise, I think it only inspired him to have the courage to stand over his family's belifs, but it wasn't a predominant factor for his change of mind.

I really liked Regulus as a character, for what he did. It just proved that you don't have to be evil-natured if you are a Slytherin, and that changes can occur anytime in anyone's mentality, causing them to make decisions they themselves didn't think they were capable of.

Old August 9th, 2007, 1:15 pm
Mrs Grawp

I had a thought yesterday about the note Regulus left in the locket:

"When you meet your match, you will be mortal again"

there had been speculations if Regulus knew about the prophecy, now we know he didn't. But I thought that the emphasis on match might have been because he was so upset due to Voldemorts treatment of Kreacher, and knowing that Kreacher was no match for Voldemort (like torturing the weaker).
A way of telling him: "no matter how many weaker people you mistreat, sooner or later you'll meet one of your size"

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:45 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter33 View Post
[i]
I really liked Regulus as a character, for what he did. It just proved that you don't have to be evil-natured if you are a Slytherin, and that changes can occur anytime in anyone's mentality, causing them to make decisions they themselves didn't think they were capable of.
I agree, chapter33. We had nothing to judge Regulus by except Sirius's dismissive words and the note in the locket, so I was wildly curious about who this guy really was. I wanted to cry as I read his story, because I hadn't expected such drama or such a sad ending for him.

Old August 26th, 2007, 5:50 am
Second Year

I think Regulus was the most noble member of the "noble house of Black." If his pureblood mother had known what he was really like she probably would have come unglued from the wall. This revelation of his repentence of the DE values and his actions afterwards are a beautiful story in itself.

Old August 26th, 2007, 5:56 am
Ordo Lebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
I had a thought yesterday about the note Regulus left in the locket:

"When you meet your match, you will be mortal again"

there had been speculations if Regulus knew about the prophecy, now we know he didn't. But I thought that the emphasis on match might have been because he was so upset due to Voldemorts treatment of Kreacher, and knowing that Kreacher was no match for Voldemort (like torturing the weaker).
A way of telling him: "no matter how many weaker people you mistreat, sooner or later you'll meet one of your size"
I had never thought of that, but I entirely agree. It's a clever word choice, if you ask me, and Jo does that very well.

I loved Regulus's story. I felt very bad for him knowing that he sacrificed himself for the cause of ridding the world of Voldemort, yet his own brother died thinking he was a terrible person and a Death Eater. At least the truth will get out now that the trio know what really happened.

Very noble man.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old August 26th, 2007, 6:24 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatus_Benevol1 View Post
I think Regulus was the most noble member of the "noble house of Black." If his pureblood mother had known what he was really like she probably would have come unglued from the wall. This revelation of his repentence of the DE values and his actions afterwards are a beautiful story in itself.
I don't think Ma and Pa Black would have come unglued - after all, they hadn't become DE's. Sirius said they didn't like the steps Voldy was taking. I think that they might have applauded...Ma and Pa Black were nasty pieces of work, for sure, but I don't think they wanted Voldy to be Voldy. They may have liked what Regulus did.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:26 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I suspect Regulus and Sirius didn't have very much to do with each other in school, and nothing at all after Sirius ran away. But Sirius, at least, doesn't seem to detest Regulus the way he did the rest of his family- he only sounded a bit like he thought he was a stupid kid.

Old September 2nd, 2007, 3:24 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
I suspect Regulus and Sirius didn't have very much to do with each other in school, and nothing at all after Sirius ran away. But Sirius, at least, doesn't seem to detest Regulus the way he did the rest of his family- he only sounded a bit like he thought he was a stupid kid.
They had similar upbringings, so I'm sure that Sirius knew the kind of pressure that his parents laid on Regulus to be "conformist", and he (Sirius) didn't blame Regulus for being conformist.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old September 4th, 2007, 8:28 am
MODLY CREW

ATTENTION PLEASE

I'd like to direct your attention to:

REVISED: Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray

Please read it carefully and post accordingly!

And no, this is not a thread warning. I want to make sure that everyone reads the revised guidelines.

Old September 4th, 2007, 8:39 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
They had similar upbringings, so I'm sure that Sirius knew the kind of pressure that his parents laid on Regulus to be "conformist", and he (Sirius) didn't blame Regulus for being conformist.
Yeah Sirius seemed to hate almost everyone in his family and yet he was almost making excuses for his brother. I think he loved him because he doesn't change anything about Regulus's room. And I am sure that Regulus would not have put permanent sticking charm in his room (why should he? His parents wouldn't have removed it as they approved of him). So Sirius just blamed his parents for deluding his brother. I am sure Sirius would have been ecstatic to find what Regulus had done... Looks like the final two Blacks were responsible in a big way in the downfall of Lord Voldemort... I am sure Sirius's mum would be soooo happy that both her sons are blood traitors!

The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders...
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:06 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by padfootrules View Post
I am sure Sirius's mum would be soooo happy that both her sons are blood traitors!
Amen to that...
Well, technically Regulus's stealing the locket wasn't really successful because he (or rather, Kreacher) didn't manage to destroy it- but the effort, in this case, was everything, given that he didn't know that Dumbledore and Harry would come along eighteen years later to take it.
I suspect Sirius is up there somewhere applauding....or at least, I hope he is.

Old September 4th, 2007, 1:51 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Voldemort being arrogant would have probably made flippant comments about his Horcruxes that he thought no one else would have understood. I don't think Regulus understood them either until after the whole Kreacher fiasco. Kreacher would have told him everything and Regulus would have put two and two together.

I think he was hoping there was only one. I'm sure he only knew a bit about Horcruxes already (he was from a dark family and he would have probably known about them from his parents), but I don't think he ever realised that someone could make more than one.

I think when they were younger they fought like mad. They were complete opposites and Sirius despised his whole family. However, I think in time they realised that it would be easier to ignore each other.

He respected Kreacher in a way I don't think many people could understand. I don't think that because he was a Slytherin or a Death Eater that he was a primarily cruel person. Kreacher had suffered enough.

Also, he knew that with the information he knew and that he had swapped a Horcrux for a fake that he wouldn't be alive for much longer. Better sooner than later.

I think he was jus kind. Like Harry was in DH. He never hated Kreacher like Sirius did and he knew that Kreacher loved anything that his "Mistress" would aprrove of. Regulus was the favourite child so he would be Kreacher's favourite too.

I don't think so. Kreacher didn't die. I think that the Inferi killed him.

I would think so. It is a horrible thought. A not so fitting end for such an act of bravery.

Yes, I do. He was a Slytherin through and through. However, I do imagine Regulus a bit like Draco. He supported pure-bloods and Voldemort's ideas but when faced with the prospect of torturing and killing innocent people Regulus couldn't do it.

9. Do you think that his change of mind was affected by Sirius being a Gryffindor?

Not really. I think Regulus loved Slytherin all through his school life and was a real Slytherin. He had known Sirius was a Gryffindor and that hadn't affected him before.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old September 4th, 2007, 2:34 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
Amen to that...
Well, technically Regulus's stealing the locket wasn't really successful because he (or rather, Kreacher) didn't manage to destroy it- but the effort, in this case, was everything, given that he didn't know that Dumbledore and Harry would come along eighteen years later to take it.
I suspect Sirius is up there somewhere applauding....or at least, I hope he is.
Regulus and Sirius are probably laughing about how Kreacher ended up helping destroy Voldemort, wherever they are. I'm sure Regulus would be both laughing hard and cheering when Kreacher went into battle "fight, fight for my master!"

Old September 4th, 2007, 2:39 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Regulus and Sirius are probably laughing about how Kreacher ended up helping destroy Voldemort, wherever they are. I'm sure Regulus would be both laughing hard and cheering when Kreacher went into battle "fight, fight for my master!"
I like that image! I love that image very much. And I have no doubt that when Kreacher dies and "moves on" the first person he will see is Sirius who would give him this big hug laughing the whole time! Of course Kreacher would be more interested in finding his mistress though...

The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders...
Old September 6th, 2007, 1:07 am
I want to believe

He likely figured it out based on what Kreacher told him about the location Voldemort took him to. Since he'd already been to the cave once he'd probably have been able to match Kreacher's description to that location. As for what the horcrux was, I think he might have been more clever than we (or Sirius) give him credit for. He may have learned about it from books on the Dark Arts, which seems like the kind of things his family might have lying around the house.

Yes, since his note to Voldemort indicates that he believed once he had the horcrux in the cave, Voldemort would be destroyed.

Judging from what Sirius says of his brother, it doesn't sound like they got along very well when they were living under the same roof. After Sirius ran away, I'm sure they each went their separate ways.

Once he saw the depraved way in which Voldemort treated Kreacher, Regulus stopped wanting to be a Death Eater. Regulus must have cared for Kreacher as a loyal servant. So I doubt he would have wanted to subject Kreacher to the same treatment that Voldemort gave him.

I thought Kreacher was always on his side.

The potion appeared to make people relive their worst memories (or plant horrible memories/images in their heads) and then make them thirst for water, which they would have to get out of the Infiri-infested lake. It definitely weakened the drinker, but I'm not sure it would have killed them. I actually thought Voldemort had killed Regulus for deserting the Death Eaters, but that's likely only what Sirius believed, since he had no idea what Regulus did. My bet is that the Infiri killed him.

I don't think so, since I thought a wizard would have to reanimate the corpse and put it to evil purposes in order for someone to become an Infiri. More likely he's just dead at the bottom of the lake.

Probably, but that doesn't mean there are no "good" Slytherins. It was the Death Eater mentality that he reconsidered and found he didn't truly believe.

No, I think it was just Regulus questioning his morals and how far he was willing to go. I don't think this had anything to do with Sirius.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:24 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Question: Reg died in the lake, unknown to anyone but Kreacher, yes? His family, when he vanished, assumed the DEs had killed him - or so we suppose from Sirius. What did Voldemort and the DEs think had happened to Reg? If they thought he had deserted, they'd have sought him out to kill him - like Karkaroff. I can't see Voldy leaving Regulus to wander free if he had chickened out of the DEs.

Re Regulus: I was pleased and surprised at his character when we learned the details. His death was heroic and for selfless motives. Which is unusual for a Slytherin - he shows more characteristics of a Gryffindor!

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old September 7th, 2007, 2:46 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
Question: Reg died in the lake, unknown to anyone but Kreacher, yes? His family, when he vanished, assumed the DEs had killed him - or so we suppose from Sirius. What did Voldemort and the DEs think had happened to Reg? If they thought he had deserted, they'd have sought him out to kill him - like Karkaroff. I can't see Voldy leaving Regulus to wander free if he had chickened out of the DEs.

Re Regulus: I was pleased and surprised at his character when we learned the details. His death was heroic and for selfless motives. Which is unusual for a Slytherin - he shows more characteristics of a Gryffindor!
This is a fine point, come to think of it - you'd think the DE's would have wanted to know what happened to Regulus. Unless someone fed them a story? Or if he disappeared right around LV's downfall? That might be the only explanation, because otherwise LV should have went "wait, what happened to that Reggie chap?"

Also, Regulus definately was a hero. Even if it made the horcrux task harder, he was heroic to stand up to Voldemort like he did.

Old September 16th, 2007, 3:09 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
This is a fine point, come to think of it - you'd think the DE's would have wanted to know what happened to Regulus. Unless someone fed them a story? Or if he disappeared right around LV's downfall? That might be the only explanation, because otherwise LV should have went "wait, what happened to that Reggie chap?"

Also, Regulus definately was a hero. Even if it made the horcrux task harder, he was heroic to stand up to Voldemort like he did.
I don't think he could have died at the same time Voldy fell because he died before Harry was born, and Harry was 18 months old or so when Voldy tried to AK him. So I remain puzzled.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies