Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Regulus Arcturus Black: Character Analysis

Old June 5th, 2013, 12:49 pm
First Year

Re: Regulus Arcturus Black: Character Analysis

Cool thread -- wish I'd found it sooner. Reg gets mentioned in my unfinished fic, so I have given him a bit of thought. My two cents:
1. How did Regulus figure out what the horcrux was, and where?

He certainly got the information from Kreacher, as the elf would have obeyed his master when questioned. So one might ask -- did Voldy forbid Kreacher to talk, or just assume he'd die in the lake? If yes, it may have cost Kreacher something to tell, but to assume Kreacher would not be able to talk is the sort of oversight Voldy often committed.

2. Did he think there was only one?

Perhaps. It would be hard for anyone to imagine him making two, much less seven.

3. Did he and Sirius fight, get along, or not care about the other?

I'm convinced Sirius was jealous of the special treatment his parents gave his brother, but that's not unusual in many real families.

4. Why didn't he make Kreacher drink the potion again?

<<Reg sent Kreacher home to destroy the locket, but Kreacher didn't know how.>> This is interesting -- could be. However, in my mind I agree with those of you who think Reg loved his house elf. How would this be in a home where the inferiority of non-wizard beings was preached? Here's my theory from my fic:
Mrs. Black, being the sort of woman she was, had Kreacher raise her children, much in the way a slave might be expected to nurse her master's baby. The old school, high class British parent (like perhaps a wealthy American parent in the 1800's) wasn't supposed to be involved with children too much. The servants were supposed to clean up the kids and present them to their parents at appropriate moments.
I'll postulate that their parents spent more time with Sirius when he was first born. After there were two babies, Kreacher got primary care of both and that to a greater degree than when Sirius was alone and the Blacks were a few years younger and possibly more enthralled with parenthood.

So, perhaps Sirius remembered being an only child and perhaps had more of his parents' attention before Regulus came along. This made Sirius hate Kreacher, as the symbol of his deprivation of parental love. Regulus on the other hand, had less time to bond with his mother before he was mostly in the care of Kreacher. He had attached to Kreacher more than his real mother, and had a natural affection for the elf much like a child's love for his mother.

5. How did he get Kreacher on his side?
Obviously Kreacher has no choice, however some extra effort on K's part could be attributed to his connection to his "good baby" that he had mostly raised himself.

6. Did he die of the potion?

Indirectly, as he was pulled into the lake by the Inferi. The main effects of the potion seem to be madness and insufferable thirst. Surrounded by a lake of Inferi, this is enough to insure drowning -- unless you are a subservient house elf who must obey a command to return home and has the unexplored magical ability to apparate where wizards cannot.

7. Is he now one of the inferi in the cave?

Maybe, or perhaps just a dead body somewhere in the lake. I won't speculate.

8. Did he truly believe the Slytherin mentality?

I think so in much the way a child is raised in his family's religion. After he had experience of what that could lead to, I believe he questioned those beliefs, as most young folks do question their parents' teaching at some stage.

9. Do you think that his change of mind was affected by Sirius being a Gryffindor?

Not impossible, but it wouldn't be the deciding factor. In the end, I think he realized he had a choice to continue in Voldy's service, or rebel and almost certainly die an unpleasant death. I think he wanted to control his way of death so that it would do some good, and so chose to die in the attempt to destroy the horcrux.

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out." Ray Bradbury
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWZRD View Post
6. Did he die of the potion?

Indirectly, as he was pulled into the lake by the Inferi. The main effects of the potion seem to be madness and insufferable thirst. Surrounded by a lake of Inferi, this is enough to insure drowning -- unless you are a subservient house elf who must obey a command to return home and has the unexplored magical ability to apparate where wizards cannot.
Yeah, I don't think the potion was meant to kill because Kreacher is still alive years later. But it doesn't really make sense, since the lake will kill you anyway, why the potion doesn't. It's like an extra step that doesn't really need to be there I think.

Old June 28th, 2013, 11:20 pm
Second Year

To what extent do you all think that Regulus Black could have been a Draco like bully while at Hogwarts?

Regulus, my favourite character who made the right choice, to fight Voldemort at the cost of his own life. But he's just a character invented by JK Rowling.

'You wouldn't wage war against me if I believed that the moon was made of Cheese, yet some people would if I believed in the wrong God.' Me
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:19 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegulusBlackFan View Post
To what extent do you all think that Regulus Black could have been a Draco like bully while at Hogwarts?
I think because of the similarities between Draco and Regulus' situations, a lot of people assume that they were very similar. The fact that they both come from pure-blood, prejudice, rich families, they both played Quidditch (and more specifically, the Seeker position), they were both Death Eaters at an early age and they were both in Slytherin, could also factor in. But there are many aspects of their lives that could really separate them. For ex. Regulus grew up with a blood-traitor brother whereas Draco didn't have any siblings, let alone any blood-traitor relatives that he may have been close to at one point (from what we know, at least). Also, Regulus's parents must have been different to him than Lucius and Narcissa were to Draco. But what I've always felt truly made Regulus very different from Draco was his final life decision. I don't think anyone would have decided to end their life that way unless they were predisposed to that type of thinking/mindset for a long part of their life. IMO, Regulus seems to have a lot more of Sirius in him (like the loyalty [to his family], bravery, self-sacrifice, etc.). So I'm thinking Regulus, if he were even the bullying type, may have been more like Sirius in that area than Draco. I'll explain why in a bit.

First of all, I just wanted to say that the biggest difference that I can perceive between Regulus and his brother are their morals. Prejudice is not moral but someone who is prejudice won't see it that way; they'll believe they are right. I feel that Regulus truly believed in his family's values as being right and Sirius, obviously, did not. Sirius seems to imply this was because Regulus was weak-willed but if you truly believe what you are doing is moral, that shows strength (very misguided strength). Actually, I'm thinking that Sirius may have just been extraordinarily rebellious. The reason being that, so many people, both in the HP world and in real-life, take after their parents' ideas that it implies you are stronger for not committing to your parents' beliefs. But I believe that submitting to their values does not mean you are weak-willed. For the most part, what ever moral guidelines people decide on (unconsciously or not), most people do question their beliefs in some way, at some point. Never questioning his beliefs would have made Regulus weak-minded, IMO. He may have questioned his beliefs but concluded they were sound or he may not have. Since we didn't get to know his mindset more personally, I wouldn't make much of an assumption either way.

Going back to what I said earlier about Regulus being a Sirius-like bully: Sirius seemed to have bullied people for some of the following reasons (I won't go into much detail since this is a Regulus analysis thread): he felt they'd truly done something wrong/immoral, he was encouraged by James, he really hated them (for many reasons, I'm guessing, but it could have mainly been Slytherin/pure-blood supremacist targets), he was bored, and he was arrogant. Starting with arrogance, Harry makes a note that Regulus seems to have a haughty expression much like Sirius's. Since I feel that arrogance plays a role in most bullying/superior acts, I would say Regulus may have been similar to Sirius in that aspect. As for boredom, who knows? Regulus might have occupied himself with Quidditch which could have given him an outlet to let out angry/negative feelings with positive expression but James also played Quidditch and he was still a bit of a bully.The other points, such as bullying out of hate or targeting people he felt were being wrong/improper, could be a contributing factor in Regulus being a bully, and with his background, I could see it happening. As for Regulus having a friend like James, I don't know.

But I would like to point out that since Sirius was probably seen as such a bad apple in his family, Regulus might have avoided any actions that linked him to his brother, including being a bully. From what we observe of their rooms, it seems that both Sirius and Regulus desperately wanted to show their differences (Sirius) and similarities (Regulus) to their family but also their differences to each other. This could fuel the argument that Regulus wouldn't have been like Sirius in any conscious way.

As for my final thoughts on comparing Regulus to another HP character, I will admit that Regulus, in my mind, has always been very close to a Slytherin-version of Percy. I say 'very close' because I could never imagine Percy playing Quidditch, or doing anything athletic. This idea has been stuck in my mind mainly because of the sign on Regulus's door: Harry compares it to something Percy would have on his door. I suppose I could extend on that more by comparing Regulus and Percy's apparent need to get improvement from their parents, their arrogance, etc. but to be honest, most of my comparison between the two comes from that door sign, so it probably wouldn't be much of an argument!

Wow, this is probably one of my longest posts! I hope that was a good answer to your question RegulusBlackFan!

Last edited by asdfasdf17; July 10th, 2013 at 11:46 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies