Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Old July 27th, 2007, 1:02 am
First Year

Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

wickedwickedboy I find myself agreeing with you again, Remus was truly a remarkable wizard and I have to question if it was maybe his dedication to protecting others, and especially his wife that may have got him killed. As you mentioned he is one of only three to show wandless magic throughout the whole series and it would suprise me if JK had him killed by "any random DE" without any special circumstances.

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2007, 4:18 am
Hogwarts Graduate

1. Your general thoughts on Lupin as a character? How has he grown, changed and matured throughout the books? What are his strengths and weaknesses? What do we know about his relationships to Sirius Black/Fenrir Greyback/Alastor Moody/James Potter/Lily Evans/Peter Pettigrew/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?

I think he's a good guy but is too easily influenced. He places so much weight on what others think of him that he kind of causes some of his own problems. For example, it would have been far easier for him to deal with society and its issues as they came rather than to start worrying before his child was even born.

2. Lupin is conflicted between his love for Dora and Teddy and the desire to protect them from association with him - does he make the right decision in going back to them? Did he make the right decision marrying her?

Most definitely.

One could almost liken Remus and Tonks's union to the union of a black woman and a white man -- there are people who are giong to wrinkle their noses but why allow a few miffed people stand in your way? In the end, you'll only hurt yourself and your loved one(s) so there's no point in allowing someone to influence you in such a manner. It's not as though Remus marrying Tonks seriously hurt anyone...he loved her, she loved him. By turning her away, he would have been hurting not only himself but the woman he loved as well. Neither party would have benefitted from such a move.

Not only did he make the right decision in marrying her but he also made the right decision in returning to her and their son. Even if his son were to have a tough time growing up, I think he'd be proud of his father, knowing that he stuck it out because he loved him and his mother.

3. Why didnít Lupin try to contact Harry before PoA?

I'd say two things kept him from contacting Harry -- shame and pain. He's always so down on himself that he probably felt Harry would be better off not knowing him. Who knows what kind of life he lived before Hogwarts? What jobs he held, how he lost them, how much money he had to his name, etc.? I reckon he also would have found contacting Harry to be rather painful and just decided to stay away.

4. What was Lupinís role in the first war? Did Dumbledore use his special connexions to the werewolves already?

Hm, I'd never really thought about this...

I can't imagine what else Dumbledore would have had him do...

5. Did Lupin make the right decision in going to fight at Hogwarts - should he have stayed out of the battle for Teddy's sake?

Tough question...

I'd really like to be able to say, "Yeah, he should have stayed at home." but look at how many parents fought. He was far from being the only one and that even holds true in real life. In the end, I think he made the right decision. He would have felt guilty had he stayed away and his son may have ended up feeling his dad was a little cowardly/selfish anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallen544 View Post
As you mentioned he is one of only three to show wandless magic throughout the whole series and it would suprise me if JK had him killed by "any random DE" without any special circumstances.
The Battle of Hogwarts, Deathly Hallows"Have you seen Remus?" Tonks called after him.

"He was dueling Dolohov," shouted Aberforth, "haven't seen him since!"

"Tonks," said Ginny, "Tonks, I'm sure he's okay -"

[cut]

Dean had won himself a wand, for he was face-to-face with Dolohov, Parvati with Travers.

When I read that, I got a little nervous. I thought, "What happened to Lupin? Wasn't he fighting Dolohov? Where did he go?..." I kind of think Dolohov got the better of him...

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old July 27th, 2007, 4:56 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDaysAhead View Post
The Battle of Hogwarts, Deathly Hallows"Have you seen Remus?" Tonks called after him.

"He was dueling Dolohov," shouted Aberforth, "haven't seen him since!"

"Tonks," said Ginny, "Tonks, I'm sure he's okay -"

[cut]

Dean had won himself a wand, for he was face-to-face with Dolohov, Parvati with Travers.

When I read that, I got a little nervous. I thought, "What happened to Lupin? Wasn't he fighting Dolohov? Where did he go?..." I kind of think Dolohov got the better of him...
Hmmmm. . . Now that I read it again, I think you're probably right. It seems a bit odd that if Dolohov had been dueling with Lupin, he would have moved on to a one-on-one duel with Dean unless 1) Lupin had felt he was more needed elsewhere, or 2) Dolohov had successfully defeated Lupin. Obviously, Lupin wouldn't have left Dean alone in that duel if he could have been there to prevent it.

Old July 27th, 2007, 6:50 am
Second Year

If Dolohov got Lupin, is it strange that it bothers me to think that Dean, a 17 year old wizard, was able to get a wand from a Death Eater who was able to snuff Lupin out like that? I guess that just goes to show you that...no matter how good you are at dueling (or not good), you are gone with just one spell. Poor Lupin.

Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)
Old July 27th, 2007, 8:36 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Well, Dean's acquiring a wand may not have been all that heroic. He may have gotten one from a fallen Death Eater or even a fallen ally. Maybe even Lupin himself? Hm, there's something to think about...

Anything could have happened. Lupin may have even gotten taken out by someone else while battling Dolohov for all we know. Maybe he turned his back to help a friend and bam! Maybe it comes down to exactly what you said -- all it takes is one spell.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old July 27th, 2007, 3:45 pm
First Year

Yeah DarkDaysAhead when I read that Dean was not fighting Dolohov I got worried as well, I instantly twigged that Lupin had been dueling him before. I think I would agree now that it was probably Dolohov who got him, after all hes not a random DE as I first thought. He's seen in the Battle at the Ministry he takes down Mad-Eye Moody leaves him unconcious and bleeding and his magical eye skittering across the foor. If I remember right. I kinda liked the idea that Dean picked up Lupin's wand, continuing his fight etc. Dunno why...long as it was returned after, you know.

Old July 27th, 2007, 4:20 pm
Banned

1. Your general thoughts on Lupin as a character? How has he grown, changed and matured throughout the books? What are his strengths and weaknesses? What do we know about his relationships to Sirius Black/Fenrir Greyback/Alastor Moody/James Potter/Lily Evans/Peter Pettigrew/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?
I love him. I think he's a down-to-earth, honest, caring guy. He has his moments of self-doubts, which is his greatest weakness, but he overcomes it. He takes Harry's advice to heart and returns to his family, but he still finds a way to let Harry know he's out there. He's just a good, caring guy, and he dies for Harry. That counts for something.

2. Lupin is conflicted between his love for Dora and Teddy and the desire to protect them from association with him - does he make the right decision in going back to them? Did he make the right decision marrying her?
Yes, he made the right decision going back. Tonks' love was eating her up when it was unrequited, so it would've been cruel to do that to her when she was about to have a child.

3. Why didnít Lupin try to contact Harry before PoA?
Perhaps fear? Maybe he was afraid to see Harry and feel guilty that he was alive and James and Lily weren't? Fear that Harry would hate what he was? Fear that he would have to explain about Sirius to him?

4. What was Lupinís role in the first war? Did Dumbledore use his special connexions to the werewolves already?
No clue, but I'd like to know!

5. Did Lupin make the right decision in going to fight at Hogwarts - should he have stayed out of the battle for Teddy's sake?
Well, seeing as I wanted him to live, no. But on a less biased POV, yes. He needed to be by Harry. Defeating Voldemort was personal. Voldemort killed his friends. He needed to play his part in the war, and he needed to die to give Harry strength for what he was about to do. As much as it's sad for Teddy, Harry needed Lupin more.

Old July 27th, 2007, 5:38 pm
Lycanthrope

We have no idea what happened between Remus and Dolohov. Especially in light of Tonks running into the scene. It could have been Dolohov got the upper hand or others could have joined in with Dolohov. But what seems WAY more likely is that Remus saw someone like Bella fighting Tonks who had come running along and moved to aid her and was taken down in the rush. But the fact is JKR left it so we don't know for sure so that those of us who recall he was an amazing wizard are not left scratching our heads that Dolohov took him out.

It would be in Remus' character to run to his wife's aid (and visa versa), and that is why I believe she had them lying next to one another...showing that they were likely found at about the same time and in the same place and thus Remus had gone to Tonks aid or visa versa ending in both being killed.

But the details don't bother me at all. I like to think that he died valiantly and that is enough for me. I believe he was one of the bravest characters in the series on many levels. Many a coward would have given up on trying to live in a world in which they were shunned by 90% of the community; even some brave men would not extend their bravery to risking their lives to make a better world for those same people to live in. The dude was incredible and I think the analogy JKR liked to draw between Remus and the disabled was lovely. Don't count out those who are down and out in society - even if society makes them feel that way. Some people just have the inner strength of character to overcome all of that and fight for the right thing anyway - that was the character of our Remus.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; July 27th, 2007 at 5:42 pm.
Old July 27th, 2007, 6:26 pm
Fifth Year

Lupin is my favorite character. I just always saw a lot of myself in Lupin, and I've loved watching him grow throughout the series. I thought it was wonderful that he found Tonks and that he became a father.

I disagree with Harry when he accused Lupin of being reckless like Sirius. I don't think Lupin was ever reckless. But I do suspect that when Lupin found out Tonks was pregnant he panicked - all his old experiences of being shunned and concerns about what that would mean for Tonks probably boiled back to the surface. I was so happy when he arrived at Shell Cottage to announce Teddy's birth - I think he had finally learned to accept himself, and to understand that Tonks accepted him as well. I wish he had lived to overcome the adversity he still suffered under - I feel like his arc was cut short.

HIPPOGRIFF, n. An animal (now extinct) which was half horse and half griffin. The griffin as itself a compound creature, half lion and half eagle. The hippogriff was actually, therefore, a one-quarter eagle, which is two dollars and fifty cents in gold. The study of zoology is full of surprises.
- Ambrose Bierce
Old July 27th, 2007, 6:54 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlpostgirl View Post
I disagree with Harry when he accused Lupin of being reckless like Sirius. I don't think Lupin was ever reckless. But I do suspect that when Lupin found out Tonks was pregnant he panicked - all his old experiences of being shunned and concerns about what that would mean for Tonks probably boiled back to the surface. I was so happy when he arrived at Shell Cottage to announce Teddy's birth - I think he had finally learned to accept himself, and to understand that Tonks accepted him as well. I wish he had lived to overcome the adversity he still suffered under - I feel like his arc was cut short.
I agree, i don't think he was trying to be like Sirius. I figure he just panicked, and saw this as a logical way, in which he could help keep his family safe, but also, protect them from his direct influence. He had just come round to the idea of getting married (which I figure had taken him about a year) and on top of that what surely must have been an unplanned pregnancy, probably blow his mind. I am sad that Lupin never got much time to enjoy with his wife and child, but he had a few months (with Teddy) and he overcame his demons in the end, so I am glad of that at least.

'Why is every critical moment in fate or the adult or child so clearly coloured by emotion?í Vygotsky
Old July 27th, 2007, 8:08 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlpostgirl View Post
True,he wasn't being reckless.It must have been a terrible though,he knew first hand what it ws like to be a werewolf,and now there ws a chance that his son would go through it,and in typical Remus behaviour,he starts blaming himself.
I feel as his arc didn't exist in its own right,it was there to draw a comparision between Harry and Teddy.

Old July 27th, 2007, 8:44 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForMoony View Post
If Dolohov got Lupin, is it strange that it bothers me to think that Dean, a 17 year old wizard, was able to get a wand from a Death Eater who was able to snuff Lupin out like that? I guess that just goes to show you that...no matter how good you are at dueling (or not good), you are gone with just one spell. Poor Lupin.
I thought he would have acquired the wand before fighting Dolohov, as in Lupin would have been killed before Dean began dueling with him.

Old July 28th, 2007, 4:08 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallen544 View Post
wickedwickedboy I find myself agreeing with you again, Remus was truly a remarkable wizard and I have to question if it was maybe his dedication to protecting others, and especially his wife that may have got him killed. As you mentioned he is one of only three to show wandless magic throughout the whole series and it would suprise me if JK had him killed by "any random DE" without any special circumstances.
To me it's more plausible that Tonks died first.She ws killed and the shock caught him off gaurd so that he was attacked(we know it only takes a second),or maybe the shock caused him to act reacklessly.

Old July 28th, 2007, 5:29 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifink2much View Post
To me it's more plausible that Tonks died first.She ws killed and the shock caught him off gaurd so that he was attacked(we know it only takes a second),or maybe the shock caused him to act reacklessly.
In my mind it happened one of two ways. Either Remus tried to save Tonks and was killed and then she was killed because that had thrown her off. Or like you said he saw her get killed (and by Bellatrix IMO) and that distracted him just long enough that he got hit with a killing shot.

"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head. "Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear related humor before you, you go for holey?"

Be kind, use the Search Engine|Search Engine Tutorial
Old July 28th, 2007, 6:27 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Potter View Post
In my mind it happened one of two ways. Either Remus tried to save Tonks and was killed and then she was killed because that had thrown her off. Or like you said he saw her get killed (and by Bellatrix IMO) and that distracted him just long enough that he got hit with a killing shot.
Either way,poor Remus,poor poor Remus.

Old July 28th, 2007, 8:57 pm
Lycanthrope

Remus loved having friends; being liked. JKR said he cuts them a lot of slack and seemed to think this a flaw in his character. I dunno. I don't really think so.

Still being shunned and living as an outcast after being loved by 3 friends was likely nearly intolerable at times. Hopefully he found something to do all the years we know nothing about and didn't sit around feeling sorry for himself.

Still we know he didn't want anyone else to have to feel the saddness and humility of being an outcast and shunned. Thus the Tonks marriage situation. And passing that scenario on to a kid was probably abhorent to him. All understandable. I see that he might have felt that if he were not with them, they might escape some of the shunning. He came around to changing his mind about not being there for them, rather than them being better off with him there. Nonetheless, he came around to changing his mind about not being there for them, rather than them being better off with him there.

He fought for the cause with the first Order, retook up the cause when it became necessary and joined the second Order. And all of this time kept up his wizarding skills (conjuring fire in his hand in the train in POA - Quick draw in DH - unscathed in OOTP in the battle at the ministry - obviously he was quite the wizard).

He died valiantly fighting for the cause with his wife. He left a legacy (the only other Marauder aside from James to do so). He backed Harry even though he was not allowed to get too close until the end (likely at the request of DD). And he had the capacity to forgive - he told Harry to mellow out on Severus even tho Lupin and Sev could never be best buddies, he felt they could at least get along and work together in the Order. He was thankful Snape had made him potion (even if DD instructed Snape to do so) and he was livid that Snape couldn't give up on the old grudge in POA when he himself was willing to do so (he admits he too disliked Snape in POA).

He seemed very responsible, although some say he was not because in the heat of the moment, when Pettigrew appeared, he forgot to take his potion (POA). But I see it as a moment of total freak out. He saw Pettigrew! That was unbelieveable, a man he thought dead! That could mean so many things to do with his old friends he was likely going nuts in that moment. So I understand his forgetting.

In the end Remus was simply an incredible character. Brave (although he thought himself cowardly at times - because he didn't want those who DID like him to stop liking him - understandable since hardly anyone liked him; and even had a moment when he didn't want to face up to the fact that he'd made his bed (married and had Teddy) and had to lay in it - but lay in it he did in the end after a brief freak out). Otherwise we only see bravery. Risking his life to make the wizard world better for those who shunned him - and later for his child as well. We see kindness (Neville during DADA and Harry w/ Patronus); we see consideration, love, care, etc in his dealings with Harry.

It was nice to see Harry return these things for Remus in many scenes - as much as Harry did for all (not too expressive of a kid, lol).

I suppose in short, that is why he was the greatest character in the entire series for me, over every single other character JKR created.

Then again, I've always been a sucker for werewolves!

Old July 28th, 2007, 9:32 pm
Fifth Year

In short Remus was great!So true.
And how he forgave Harry even though he said some very very harsh things.To be so forgiving,wonderful.

Old July 28th, 2007, 10:02 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifink2much View Post
In short Remus was great!So true.
And how he forgave Harry even though he said some very very harsh things.To be so forgiving,wonderful.
To be honest, I believe he felt Harry was correct deep down inside (as he admitted on the broadcast) so although Harry was thinking forgiveness was needed, Remus was never really angry at Harry's words (although he may not have liked the choice of words) he was more angry because Harry had hit the nail on the head and deep down he knew Harry was right. He wasn't so much forgiving as admitting to Harry being correct.

I agree though, it was a wonderful moment when Remus let Harry know how he felt about it. Both on the broadcast and when he asked him to be godfather. I think Harry realized all of this.

Old July 29th, 2007, 7:03 am
Third Year

Well I don't think they were harsh at all. They were the words he needed to hear. He wa acting like a coward. He was ready to leave his wife and kid.

I said it before. Remus runs away form eveything, even things that he wants. I'm not sure if he totally kicked the habit at the end of Deathly Hallows. I was so distracted my Snape I hardly took on anyone else. I just remember Tonks running after him.

DO YOU JUST LOVE LUPIN AND TONKS?
DO YOU THINK THAT THEY WILL BREAK UP?
ARE YOU A SNAPE FAN?

IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO THESE QUESTIONS, CHANCES ARE YOU WILL LOVE MY FAN FICTION CALLED THE BOARDING HOUSE.

READ IT HERE.
Old July 29th, 2007, 7:26 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonmili View Post
Well I don't think they were harsh at all. They were the words he needed to hear. He wa acting like a coward. He was ready to leave his wife and kid.

I said it before. Remus runs away form eveything, even things that he wants. I'm not sure if he totally kicked the habit at the end of Deathly Hallows. I was so distracted my Snape I hardly took on anyone else. I just remember Tonks running after him.
Harry may not have chosen the best way to say what he meant (he admits he didn't think Remus a coward, just being cowardly about Tonks/Teddy for a bit), but the words were needed. JKR pulled remus out of character, she had to kick him back in. Harry did it and it was an opportunity to show us that Harry actually cared about Remus. We hadn't much of an indication before then.

Tooni..."Remus runs from everything" is a blanket statement. I believe you mean from Tonks (marriage/pregnant). We never saw him run from anything else. That is why he appeared so out of character in the scene where he and Harry end up arguing. I suppose it was easy to become distracted if you were into the Snape scenario, but maybe you will re-read it one day. Remus did not run from the cause, fighting for it, his friends' sides, his promises, nor his attempts to protect Harry. He did not run from his responsibilities except in one instance. I went into this above in that long post you can read it - he was freaking understandably so.

Imagine you have a disease that you can pass onto your kid. Most people in that situation do not have kids. When they do, they abort or freak out. Well he freaked, pretty natural reaction. But JKR pulled him back into character and he returned. He didn't need Harry to do that - - but it helped him get there a lot sooner.

JKR needed him to make the realization quickly because she planned to kill him before too long.

If you had been paying attention, you would have seen that when Tonks was looking for Remus during the battle, Amberforth told her he had seen him battling. Tonks wasn't supposed to be there...she ran off after him. He was fighting and died during the battle - in case you were wondering since you missed it and only remember Tonks running after him. I know you were anxious to get to Snape and that might have happened about the time he was flying off like a bat in the sky or in with Voldemort being killed, so I understand the distraction

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; July 29th, 2007 at 7:29 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies