Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Lucius Malfoy: Character Analysis

Old November 8th, 2007, 12:09 am
Lycanthrope

Re: Lucius Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal View Post
Totally. Of course Voldemort would have thought that, judging that he didn't find it the least bit fishy that Severus first asked for Lily's life, and then returned, apparently unperturbed and possibly shrugging 'oh well, you know, if not her, then another, I really don't mind'. So murdering Lucius' only child, Voldemort might have assumed that Lucius would just shrug, too, and return to business.

I don't think, however, that Lucius would have set out to straight try and kill Voldemort. Rash action isn't a Slytherin's nature, and Lucius was always the epitome of his house to me. He'd rather show Voldemort 'his respectable face' (to twist that phrase from GoF a little here) and have contacted Kingsley or else to try undermining Voldemort from within, delivering him on a silver plate so to say, to get his revenge.
Oh I definitely think Lucius would come up with a cunning plan first. But he'd try. I don't think he would be able to do it - although he might...but of course Voldy would be able to return with his horocruxes anyway and then...watch out Lucius!! Actually that would have been kind of cool to see.

Old November 8th, 2007, 12:33 am
Master Seer

I must say, I would have loved to see a duel between Lucius and Bella, like when Voldemort had found out about Lucius' plan to betray him, and sent Bella to sort out another family problem. Or Lucius being so incensed that Bella had no qualms to send her own nephew to death that he'd start throwing curses at her. Something like that

Old November 8th, 2007, 1:09 am
Lycanthrope

Ummmm...but Bella was Narcissa's sister, I don't know if Narcissa would have approved. She seemed to still be rather attached to her sister for all of her evilness.

I just thought...that might be another reason the Malfoy's were spared. Bella! Voldemort would have done it for her I should think...just because of her devotion and loyalty - a favor.

Old November 8th, 2007, 9:02 am
Master Seer

You are spot-on, wick, I believe. I just tried to come up with a context for these two to duel - you know, two mighty Dark wizards, not a bad and a good guy, with the good guy being inevitably decent. Bella took down four Snatchers with a single flick of her wand. I would have liked to see her meeting an equal in bad curses. (You might remember that movie - The Sword in the Stone? When Merlin and Mim duel? Merlin is good, too, but there was some serious fighting, and I think to see something like this with Lucius and Bella... )

Old November 8th, 2007, 4:37 pm
First Year

Quote:

I think I said it eight times in this thread alone, but I'm staunchly convinced that Lucius had no whatsoever illusions from the moment on when he saw Voldemort in that graveyard. He didn't want the old boss back, he had his bottom pretty much where he wanted it already. Lucius couldn't gain anything by the return, and being not stupid, he also knew from the last time that it's a dangerous business, and that not only his neck was in peril (for being so disloyal, for losing the diary (or why didn't he, when Voldemort criticised them, cry out 'Here, master, me! Me! I tried it with that weird diary you left in my possession!'), and it comes with the territory as a Death Eater, being constantly engaged in duels with Aurors etc isn't on the healthy side either), but that his whole family might be endangered if he didn't please the ('unworthy Half-blood scum') master.

No, Lucius didn't come back to that graveyard voluntarily, or pleased, or remotely optimistic to finally purge the world of the unworthy. I think Lucius doesn't even care that much about someone's bloodstatus, as long as it suits him, or he can benefit from that person (note his friendship with the Half-blood Severus). He looks down on them, but then he looks down on everyone - and in this respect, the outcome of the war hasn't changed him and his views, in my opinion. He's likely to still sneer at somebody like Hermione, or the Weasleys; if he's learnt something, it's to keep a lower profile, that's all.
I absoloutely agree with you. Lucius was where he wanted to be in life. The last thing her needed was to have his 'Dark Lord' return, a man who might ruin his name.

Old November 8th, 2007, 5:49 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
You are spot-on, wick, I believe. I just tried to come up with a context for these two to duel - you know, two mighty Dark wizards, not a bad and a good guy, with the good guy being inevitably decent. Bella took down four Snatchers with a single flick of her wand. I would have liked to see her meeting an equal in bad curses. (You might remember that movie - The Sword in the Stone? When Merlin and Mim duel? Merlin is good, too, but there was some serious fighting, and I think to see something like this with Lucius and Bella... )
Oh I totally agree it would have been a dynamic fight. I just think Narcissa would have interceded. Do we have any canon for Lucius' skills as a warrior? I imagine he was quite good as well considering that he had fought during the first and second war. What I really truly was hoping to see was Lucius, Snape, Narcissa and Draco going against Voldemort, but that didn't happen either.

Old November 8th, 2007, 6:23 pm
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Oh I totally agree it would have been a dynamic fight. I just think Narcissa would have interceded. Do we have any canon for Lucius' skills as a warrior? I imagine he was quite good as well considering that he had fought during the first and second war. What I really truly was hoping to see was Lucius, Snape, Narcissa and Draco going against Voldemort, but that didn't happen either.
I can't see it. It may be that I'm just short on imagination today, but Lucius has always struck me as more of a pretty boy bully than a master dueler. He liked beating up on muggles - people who couldn't fight back - as Voldemort mentioned in the cemetery. We saw how disastrous a leader he was in OotP, although it's fair to give Harry & Friends a lot of credit for that failure.

In a one-on-one, I think Bella would have vaporized Lucius in the space of a heartbeat. He wouldn't have a chance.

The only death eater who might be able to "play" at her level was Snape, IMO. Now there's a duel that would be worth watching.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old November 8th, 2007, 6:32 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
but Lucius has always struck me as more of a pretty boy bully than a master dueler.
I think there must have been a reason for Lucius to be entrusted with the diary Horcrux. Seeing the magical protection for the locket, Lucius must have appeared like the human equivalent to it, and indeed, Bella's equal (seeing that she got the cup to keep). Lucius was only in his twenties during Voldemort's first reign, and his father still alive (thus being the Patriarch still), so it's likely that he didn't even have as much connections as later on in life making him valuable. Anyway, these connections were of no use in regard to the Horcrux protection, so I think it's more likely that Lucius was indeed worth the name of a Dark wizard than the other way round. ('Put down that diary, Potter, or I'll send the Minister of Magic on you, AND each and every of my lawyers!!!' - I think not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wick
Oh I totally agree it would have been a dynamic fight. I just think Narcissa would have interceded.
Yes, she has that habit, hasn't she. Son, don't get yourself be killed - hubbie, don't you dare risking your neck against my mad sister - hush Bella, leave my husband in peace. And now we eat dinner, shall we!

Last edited by Fleur du mal; November 8th, 2007 at 6:36 pm.
Old November 8th, 2007, 7:19 pm
Renegade

I think the reason in both cases was money and loyalty, not dueling.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

August 28, 2013

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old November 8th, 2007, 7:30 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I think the reason in both cases was money and loyalty, not dueling.
You got me confused.

Loyalty - well, that'd be a good reason for entrusting a piece of your soul to someone, just that I cannot believe that even Voldemort - deluded as he would appear, and as much as his and Lucius' views on muggleborns might have coincided - could look at Lucius and have the word loyal in his mind. Obviously, I got no clue how Lucius came across in his youth, but as an adult, he always struck me as far from loyal as from founding a group for intercultural Muggle/Wizard relations.

And how would money help guarding a Horcrux? Inferi, poisons, curses - all right, I see the point in choosing those to guard a bit of my immortality, but money...?

Old November 8th, 2007, 7:43 pm
Renegade

I think their wealth and pureblood status were attractive to Voldemort. And, at that point, he obviously trusted them a little - not enough to divulge the truth about the objects he gave them safekeep, but there was enough trust that the items wouldn't be handled carelessly.

August 28, 2013

Old November 8th, 2007, 8:13 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
I think their wealth and pureblood status were attractive to Voldemort. And, at that point, he obviously trusted them a little - not enough to divulge the truth about the objects he gave them safekeep, but there was enough trust that the items wouldn't be handled carelessly.
In what way do you think their wealth was important? I was always under the impression that all of Voldemort's followers would give him anything he desired. What they did not have, I figured they could steal with magic, or kill the owner (of the house, or item) and take it for him. I imagine gold could come in handy at times (if he craved a big mac or something ), but on a serious note, it wouldn't seem that riches would be that important of a factor for Voldemort.

Old November 8th, 2007, 8:18 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

...it does belong as much on the Voldemort character thread as on the Lucius thread, but Purp does have a good point here. Harry noted in DH that Voldemort was jealous of the status the pureblood families had at Gringotts - it was part of the reason that he entrusted the Cup to Bella - and a similar mechanism may have been at play with Lucius. Besides seeing Lucius as being very good at what he did, he may also have tilted towards giving him the diary in part because Lucius was another pureblood with a long lineage. Voldemort may have been stamping himself as being better than two pureblood families in this way (the Blacks and the Malfoys), because he had people from both families subservient to him. So, gold may have been a second factor, for sure.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old November 10th, 2007, 6:22 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
...it does belong as much on the Voldemort character thread as on the Lucius thread, but Purp does have a good point here. Harry noted in DH that Voldemort was jealous of the status the pureblood families had at Gringotts - it was part of the reason that he entrusted the Cup to Bella - and a similar mechanism may have been at play with Lucius. Besides seeing Lucius as being very good at what he did, he may also have tilted towards giving him the diary in part because Lucius was another pureblood with a long lineage. Voldemort may have been stamping himself as being better than two pureblood families in this way (the Blacks and the Malfoys), because he had people from both families subservient to him. So, gold may have been a second factor, for sure.
Ah I see what you mean. I thought we were speaking of gold being given to Voldemort by Lucius. But I would agree that Voldemort would want the subservience of a man of Lucius' weath and status.

Old November 10th, 2007, 11:14 pm
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Ah I see what you mean. I thought we were speaking of gold being given to Voldemort by Lucius. But I would agree that Voldemort would want the subservience of a man of Lucius' weath and status.
That's pretty much what I was getting at, Wick. On the other hand, he wouldn't have been able to wage much of a war without gold, and the Blacks and Malfoys had a boatload of it. He was using the sumptuous Malfoy Manor as a headquarters in DH. Never could understand why the Ministry didn't find him there.

I know one thing: if Voldemort and Bellatrix had moved into my home, I'd be looking at my first two murders.

August 28, 2013

Old November 11th, 2007, 4:23 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:

I know one thing: if Voldemort and Bellatrix had moved into my home, I'd be looking at my first two murders.

Quote:
That's pretty much what I was getting at, Wick. On the other hand, he wouldn't have been able to wage much of a war without gold, and the Blacks and Malfoys had a boatload of it. He was using the sumptuous Malfoy Manor as a headquarters in DH. Never could understand why the Ministry didn't find him there.
Agreed. The part that stumps me is what exactly Voldemort would need gold for in relation to waging war. Usually leaders need it to purchase amunition, set their warriors in strategic positions and pay them wages for their efforts (among other things). However, Voldemort wouldn't need gold for any of that - unless some of his minions were unable to subsist and required gold. But perhaps there are other reasons he would need it that I cannot think of.

Old November 12th, 2007, 9:22 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy
Agreed. The part that stumps me is what exactly Voldemort would need gold for in relation to waging war. Usually leaders need it to purchase amunition, set their warriors in strategic positions and pay them wages for their efforts (among other things). However, Voldemort wouldn't need gold for any of that - unless some of his minions were unable to subsist and required gold. But perhaps there are other reasons he would need it that I cannot think of.
I think it's more to do with the status that comes from money. The potterverse is like the real world in that respect.

Old November 13th, 2007, 3:25 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latisha View Post
I think it's more to do with the status that comes from money. The potterverse is like the real world in that respect.
That is an interesting angle. I don't know if Voldemort would require status though if he managed to take over the world. Lucius definitely had the status of wealth, but I am hard pressed to see him handing it all over to Voldemort; it meant far too much to him, imo. Besides, Voldemort could collect taxes or whatever to gain money once he was in power. I am still inclined to believe that Lucius was kept alive because of his pureblood status and potential renewed loyalty. However, money for the war itself is still a viable contention...I am just not sure what to make of it.

Old November 13th, 2007, 5:12 am
Always Indy's Girl

What if the Diary was given to Lucius's father? He was the Patriarch of the Malfoy family. It would have come into Lucius's care after the elder Malfoy died of dragon pox.

I think Voldemort hated the fact he was a halfblood. I mean he killed his father and grandparents after all.

Having all the prominent pure bloods and Slytherin families -- old families like the Blacks to be subservient to him; for him that would be true status.

That could be why he tolerated Lucius's failure to get the Prophecy and also for the loss of a horcrux; having a Malfoy obey him would give him all the ststus he needs.

By having the Malfoys, the Blacks and the other pure bloods working for him, I think Voldemort's massive ego is kind of satisfied and he would feel that he was right up there with all the pure bloods and forget his muggle father and muggle roots.

Old November 13th, 2007, 7:38 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Woods
What if the Diary was given to Lucius's father?
Because Snape and DD confirmed that "Yes" LV gave the diary to Lucius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy
That is an interesting angle. I don't know if Voldemort would require status though if he managed to take over the world. Lucius definitely had the status of wealth, but I am hard pressed to see him handing it all over to Voldemort; it meant far too much to him, imo.
Well, whoever wears the pants in the house is the one who controls it. So having said that, I think the initial thing was to get as many "influential" people to join and then using their status and influence to hide and manipulate as we see in OOTP with Lucius and Fudge. Then when all his minions have suceeded in penetrating any opposition to move in for the kill. I mean who better to have recruit others or blind those that are weak that are in a position of power, then one that has a high social status and influence.

Last edited by Latisha; November 13th, 2007 at 7:45 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies