Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Lucius Malfoy: Character Analysis

Old November 5th, 2007, 12:00 am
Renegade

Re: Lucius Malfoy: Character Analysis

I wonder how the purebloods eventually regrouped. After the beating they took, and the loss of their most potent personalities, they might qualify for a government-sponsored support group.

Seriously, though... Lucius had lost the respect of the wider wizarding community. The purebloods fanatics who survived probably weren't thrilled that he used his family's collusion with Harry to stay out of Azkaban. It's entirely possible they were social outcasts.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2007, 1:08 am
Master Seer

From what we've seen and heard how well and efficiently Voldemort's reign worked due to all the small-scale Lucius-es at work, he must have been in ample of 'good' company after the war. They couldn't all go to Azkaban, there'd hardly have been enough people left to guard the imprisoned ones.

Old November 5th, 2007, 1:50 am
Lycanthrope

Social outcasts...um...a case of how hard the mighty fall. But something tells me that if Lucius can worm his way out of Azkaban, he can likely worm his way out of being an outcast. Always best to rehabilitate your character doing something people need - like a high end wand store or something like that, where people desire your product so much they begin to look up to the proprietor and see them in a different light. That might work for Lucius...although I couldn't really see him as a shopkeeper, ...but something along the lines of providing a product in high demand.

Old November 5th, 2007, 8:17 am
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Always best to rehabilitate your character doing something people need - like a high end wand store or something like that,
Nah, I don't see Lucius actually producing something. In my mind, he rather gets his cheque book out and signs for the entire damage repair to Hogwarts, and maybe he pays for the war orphans etc - oh, and for a nice new fountain for the Ministry. Iconoclasm usually works and makes you look good

Old November 5th, 2007, 8:22 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal View Post
Nah, I don't see Lucius actually producing something. In my mind, he rather gets his cheque book out and signs for the entire damage repair to Hogwarts, and maybe he pays for the war orphans etc - oh, and for a nice new fountain for the Ministry. Iconoclasm usually works and makes you look good
Great point - that is probably more likely. So do you think he has a picture of the Albino Peacock on his checks?

I still can't figure out what tie that has to Lucius or the Malfoys.

Old November 5th, 2007, 9:14 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I still can't figure out what tie that has to Lucius or the Malfoys.
Peacocks symbolise vanity. They were also kept in parks of castles and mansions and therefore became symbols of wealth and nobility as well. I think that white peacocks, being rarer than normal peacocks, fit quite well into Lucius' estate. He was certainly vain and regarded the purity of his blood as the most important thing. He believed that he deserved more and better than people around him because he was a Malfoy.

Old November 5th, 2007, 9:51 am
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Peacocks symbolise vanity. They were also kept in parks of castles and mansions and therefore became symbols of wealth and nobility as well. I think that white peacocks, being rarer than normal peacocks, fit quite well into Lucius' estate. He was certainly vain and regarded the purity of his blood as the most important thing. He believed that he deserved more and better than people around him because he was a Malfoy.
Yes, indeed, and that would perfectly satisfy me for explaining peacock number one in 'The Dark Lord Ascending'. But we get to see the bloody beast again, through Harry's eyes in 'Malfoy Manor' later on. Harry is worried out of his wits - still he notices the peacock. If I imagine to be in such a situation, I think there could be pink elephants walking beside me, I wouldn't notice. Anyway, what's the peacock doing in that scene? I mean - why write it? It can't be for the recognition factor - Harry et al. (and the reader) have already been told that they're taken to Malfoy Manor.

wicked and I had a little debate on this point via owl - wick, I think we could dig out those owls and post our modest conclusions. Maybe someone reading them can come up with something more fruitful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedboy
So do you think he has a picture of the Albino Peacock on his checks?
Oh, I love the idea

Actually, I always thought that if there are wizard cheque books, Lucius' own would be adorned with the family crest... But maybe white peacocks are a part of the family crest??? Like dogs appear in the Black crest? I don't know, that'd give Lucius, and Draco that nice Lord Henry Wotton touch, though he doesn't have to do anything with peacocks, but still. That certain decadent, les arts pour les arts, cynical attitude

Old November 5th, 2007, 10:15 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Yes, indeed, and that would perfectly satisfy me for explaining peacock number one in 'The Dark Lord Ascending'. But we get to see the bloody beast again, through Harry's eyes in 'Malfoy Manor' later on. Harry is worried out of his wits - still he notices the peacock. If I imagine to be in such a situation, I think there could be pink elephants walking beside me, I wouldn't notice. Anyway, what's the peacock doing in that scene? I mean - why write it? It can't be for the recognition factor - Harry et al. (and the reader) have already been told that they're taken to Malfoy Manor.

wicked and I had a little debate on this point via owl - wick, I think we could dig out those owls and post our modest conclusions. Maybe someone reading them can come up with something more fruitful?
Yes that is still the question. I don't think we got very far in figuring much out about the peacock...but I'll have a look back.

Quote:
Oh, I love the idea

Actually, I always thought that if there are wizard cheque books, Lucius' own would be adorned with the family crest... But maybe white peacocks are a part of the family crest??? Like dogs appear in the Black crest? I don't know, that'd give Lucius, and Draco that nice Lord Henry Wotton touch, though he doesn't have to do anything with peacocks, but still. That certain decadent, les arts pour les arts, cynical attitude
Wow...I didn't know that. The Black crest has a dog? Now that is food for thought. Do you think maybe if Lucius became an animagus he would be a peacock? That is actually a funny thought, but perhaps that is the case. Perhaps like James and Harry, both Lucius and Draco would have had peacock patronuses if they had not been Death Eaters. It is descriptive of their characters and fits their inner animals as well.

Um...I have to read that part again, but that second Peacock it couldn't have been Draco or Lucius in Animagus form could it have been? Weren't they already present in human form in the room? I think I might be going speculation mad here, lol. I suppose it would have been pointless to have made it so without later revealing that fact, even if it were possible. However, it could have been the grandfather maybe...? Thinking on it, if James had the same animagus/patronus and Harry had the same patronus, he may have had the same animagus as well. So maybe these things run down a family line somehow (which makes sense because son's are often like their dads). So it may have been that the peacock was actually a male relative of the Malfoys.

And I may just be way off! But it is an idea...

Old November 5th, 2007, 11:02 am
Master Seer

Interesting train of thought, wick

Actually, I could well imagine the white peacock being in fact a Patronus peacock. It interferes though with JKR's statement that Death Eaters can't do Patronuses (which is a train of thought that I don't follow - Lucius, and Draco, both surely have ample of happy memories and thoughts, see their happy family life. Why shouldn't they have happy memories of this?). Then again - why not think it's Narcissa's? She certainly is vain, too (the name! the name! ), and she has this protective element to her as well, that would tie in nicely with the Patronus in itself. And with a bunch of Death Eaters and the kingpin himself in the house, she might have found some comfort in the idea of a Patronus outside, 'just in case'.

As for the Animagus idea - I agree, it wouldn't make sense to have either of the two Malfoy males being there in his Animagus form, without any benefit to the story, or a revelation. Apart from this - aren't peacocks flightless? In this case, I'd rule out at least Draco as being the Animagus peacock - because if there's one thing the boy can do, apart from nasty remarks, it flying, as Harry himself says in PS. For Draco, who's so avid to fly, it'd be pretty uncharacteristically to have an Animagus form that's flightless.

...I'm off to see for these owls

EDIT: and here they are, in essence at least

Quote:
(wicked) I wondered what a pure white peacock might have looked like in chapter 1 DH. I noted in that scene that Snape didn't respond to the noise made by the peacock (whereas Yaxley pulled out his wand). I supposed Snape had been to Malfoy Manor enough to recognize the sound. That made me sure that Snape and Lucius had been friends in the past as Narcissa asserted and I got to wondering how Snape might have felt about Voldy being in his old friend's home, seemingly against Lucius' will.

(fleur) It's been suggested in some other thread that the albino peacock was Draco's or Lucius' Patronus, but I somehow don't see that. Of course, it could be, but in both scenes when we get to see it, there is no real reason for either of them to produce one in the first place - and have it strut around in the garden then (while the unhinged kingpin is sitting in their drawing room ---???). On the other hand - that darn peacock makes its appearance twice, which makes me think it might be more than just an illustration of Lucius' exquisite taste. But what is it??? Why? Do you have any ideas?

(wicked) I too felt the peacocks were a little odd, strutting about for no apparent reason. The only connection I could come up with was that they were "blonde" and "pale" like the Malfoys. But why they would appear twice, I don't know. Knowing JKR, there is likely some reason, so we have to just keep thinking about it, lol.

(fleur) You would laugh out loud if you knew just how much I have already thought about this tiny stupid detail I, too, made the connection of Lucius' and Draco's often mentioned paleness and the white peacock, and also, a peacock is a symbol of vanity. But to get that point across, the first appearance with Yaxley remarking on it would have sufficed. Why mention it once more, in a moment where Harry REALLY has other problems to consider? I don't get it.

(wicked) I hadn't given it all that much thought since thinking about it when I read it, but it is baffling. It really smacks of symbolism and yet I too don't believe the blonde, pale and vanity attributes are all there is to it. Maybe so though...

(fleur's final gasping) And these shuddy peacocks - *must-stop-obsessing, must-stop-obsessing... mantra-chanting continues*

Last edited by Fleur du mal; November 5th, 2007 at 11:16 am.
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:11 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Interesting train of thought, wick

Actually, I could well imagine the white peacock being in fact a Patronus peacock. It interferes though with JKR's statement that Death Eaters can't do Patronuses (which is a train of thought that I don't follow - Lucius, and Draco, both surely have ample of happy memories and thoughts, see their happy family life. Why shouldn't they have happy memories of this?). Then again - why not think it's Narcissa's? She certainly is vain, too (the name! the name! ), and she has this protective element to her as well, that would tie in nicely with the Patronus in itself. And with a bunch of Death Eaters and the kingpin himself in the house, she might have found some comfort in the idea of a Patronus outside, 'just in case'.

As for the Animagus idea - I agree, it wouldn't make sense to have either of the two Malfoy males being there in his Animagus form, without any benefit to the story, or a revelation. Apart from this - aren't peacocks flightless? In this case, I'd rule out at least Draco as being the Animagus peacock - because if there's one thing the boy can do, apart from nasty remarks, it flying, as Harry himself says in PS. For Draco, who's so avid to fly, it'd be pretty uncharacteristically to have an Animagus form that's flightless.

...I'm off to see for these owls
That is possible because Narcissa may not have been a branded Death Eater and she certainly seemed to have changed with respect to her feelings about Voldemort. If she had indeed rejected him completely, then she may have been able to produce a patronus or two to protect the house.

Now Lucius couldn't likely make one per JKR, as you said, and come to think of it, I believe Lucius' father was dead by then - so that would rule out it being a grandfather animagi. But the patronus idea could work and I agree, Narcissa would have ample happy memories of family life to produce it. But wouldn't that be a dead giveaway to Voldemort? Lucius may not have allowed it because Voldemort likely knew his loyal Death Eaters could not issue patronuses (which is why he never considered Snape might have one). If he realized that Lucius' household had produced one, they would be in deep water. I think

Old November 5th, 2007, 11:20 am
Master Seer

Yeah, Draco's grandpa died of Dragon Pox

If we discard the Patronus idea for the reasons you name, we're back at the beginning though. What's the peacock doing in the second scene where it's mentioned???

By the way, if you scroll above, you'll see the owls I found

Old November 5th, 2007, 12:57 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Yeah, Draco's grandpa died of Dragon Pox

If we discard the Patronus idea for the reasons you name, we're back at the beginning though. What's the peacock doing in the second scene where it's mentioned???

By the way, if you scroll above, you'll see the owls I found
...yeah we didn't get very far on all of that. I forgot you had mentioned the patronus idea before - but we have kind of washed that out now too. It would have been very cool if it was Lucius as an animagus - but that seems impossible as well. Perhaps it is just symbolism related to the personality of the Malfoys...

Old November 5th, 2007, 1:32 pm
Master Seer

Yes, you and I didn't get far - and no one else seems to care

Now if I can come up with a way to link this topic to either Snape, or Dumbledore, or Star Wars (let's face it, these topics pull), we might raise some less private attention to the peacock question.

Nope, nothing so far

Back to Lucius sans pets. We find out he's been a Prefect. Now I must say, I was surprised. Who on earth would make Lucius a Prefect? And that Draco's one, too, doesn't count as a point (to me), because the books did show that Draco takes rather after his mum than his dad, looks aside, and Dumbledore clearly believed in Draco's potential. But Lucius? Assigned to lead and guide?

Old November 5th, 2007, 2:18 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I think Lucius was likely made a prefect because of his connections. Slughorn was head of house, yes? Fits both of their personalities...

Wish I could post more, but off to work

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old November 5th, 2007, 2:40 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
I think Lucius was likely made a prefect because of his connections. Slughorn was head of house, yes? Fits both of their personalities...
You think the Heads decide on the Prefects? Possible. I don't know why, but somehow I always thought that Dumbledore made these decisions, the way Kingsley (?) talks about the question in OotP ('why didn't Dumbledore make Potter a Prefect? Show some support').

Old November 5th, 2007, 3:25 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Well, JKR certainly loved filling her story with details. What is the meaning of socks in the series? They reappear over and over again and do not seem to serve any other purpose than to make the story richer. Harry noticed the peacock because he was at Malfoy Manor for the first time and peacocks seem to - I would not say symbolise again - be as important to the Manor as snakes to Slytherin house. I do not think that the white peacock is Lucius' or Draco's patronus but it would represent Lucius' personality perfectly.

Old November 5th, 2007, 5:04 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
You think the Heads decide on the Prefects? Possible. I don't know why, but somehow I always thought that Dumbledore made these decisions, the way Kingsley (?) talks about the question in OotP ('why didn't Dumbledore make Potter a Prefect? Show some support').
I think it's a combination - Dumbledore himself admitted at the end of OoTP to Harry that he didn't make him a prefect because he thought Harry had too much on his mind. But, I do seem to remember Tonks saying in OoTP that her Head of House thought that she lacked the necessary qualities to be prefect. So it's likely a combo.

Erm...Lucius was smart and clever and rich enough to get out of trouble post-DH.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old November 5th, 2007, 6:20 pm
Always Indy's Girl

The peacocks could have been there to show that even when the Malfoys were in trouble with Voldemort or even when they were in disgrace after Lucius was arrested, they still were vain enough, rich enough and snooty enough to show the rest of the world that they were far, far better than the others.

Also that nothing could really come near or touch the Malfoys. They were the ultimate in everything pureblood, rich, sophisticated...the list goes on.

Well DD made Draco Prefect. Why should he noit make Lucius one? Slytherin is all about power and subtle displays of that power and rather than give the power of prefectship to a weak person who would not be able to control everyone within Slytherin, DD muct have chosen Lucius just as he chose Draco so that THEY would control everyone and manipulate all of them and keep a semblence of Order within the House and DD could try and control the prefects. That IMO would have been easier for him.

Old November 5th, 2007, 9:00 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
The peacocks could have been there to show that even when the Malfoys were in trouble with Voldemort or even when they were in disgrace after Lucius was arrested, they still were vain enough, rich enough and snooty enough to show the rest of the world that they were far, far better than the others.
ah, but the peacock is within the estate, and that's not for everyone to enter. Severus and Yaxley need the Dark Mark to enter in 'The Dark Lord Ascending', Greyback - having no Mark - must confer with the talking gate. The peacock is no visible sign for the rest of the wizarding world to see and be awed, it's for the Malfoys personal pleasure (assuming that it's only a pet and not Narcissa's Patronus ).

Quote:
Well DD made Draco Prefect. Why should he noit make Lucius one? Slytherin is all about power and subtle displays of that power and rather than give the power of prefectship to a weak person who would not be able to control everyone within Slytherin, DD muct have chosen Lucius just as he chose Draco so that THEY would control everyone and manipulate all of them and keep a semblence of Order within the House and DD could try and control the prefects. That IMO would have been easier for him.
I don't know; Lucius might have been capable to command people even at the age of sixteen, but I don't see Draco in his shoes there. Draco wants to walk in Lucius' shoes for the greater part of the series, but isn't the catch about his character that he doesn't?

Old November 5th, 2007, 9:15 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
Originally posted by Fleur du mal
ah, but the peacock is within the estate, and that's not for everyone to enter. Severus and Yaxley need the Dark Mark to enter in 'The Dark Lord Ascending', Greyback - having no Mark - must confer with the talking gate. The peacock is no visible sign for the rest of the wizarding world to see and be awed, it's for the Malfoys personal pleasure (assuming that it's only a pet and not Narcissa's Patronus ).
Perhaps the Malfoys being what they are would not want the entire WW to see the peacocks. Those who do enter the estate, would most likely carry tales of the opulence there, well with the exeption of Snape I think.

That would make them feel much above the ordinary people whom they seem to delight in looking down upon.

And revel in what they think of themselves -- a whole level above the others. Even the peacocks are not common and are noit meant to be seen by anyone whom the Malfoys do not associate with.

That is so true of Draco, though. He is forever trying to fill his father's shoes and he is always falling short.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies