Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Lucius Malfoy: Character Analysis

Old September 22nd, 2007, 1:42 pm
Master Seer

Re: Lucius Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
but it would have been great to see Lucius clonk Yaxley over the head for good measure.

Old October 13th, 2007, 11:58 pm
I want to believe

Is Lucius loyal to Voldemort or rather himself and his family?
I think he's loyal to Voldemort insofar as Voldemort will help him gain money, prestige, and power for himself and his family.

What did he know about Riddle’s diary?
Nothing more than the fact that it was valuable to Voldemort because it would open the Chamber of Secrets. But he didn't know just how valuable it was, or that it was a horcrux. I believe Dumbledore says something to the effect that if he had known he was holding a piece of his master's soul he would have treated the diary with more respect. Instead he used it to further his own gains by trying to get revenge on the Weasleys.

Fathers play an important role in the books. Is Lucius a good father?
I'm leaning towards no. He wasn't a very good influence on Draco, who turned out to be a very bullying and intolerant person. And I got the sense that he may have been hard to please and a bit controlling.

What is/was his relationship to Bellatrix Lestrange/Arthur Weasley/his son Draco/Albus Dumbledore/Narcissa Malfoy/other Death Eaters/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?
Bellatrix- likely saw her as a rival in the Dark Lord's favor
Arthur- hated him as a blood traitor
Dumbledore- hated as the leader of the opposition against Voldemort
Narcissa- loved his wife, probably; appreciated the support she gave the DE's
Snape- likely trusted him as a DE
Harry- hated as the proverbial thorn in Voldemort's side, someone who could jeapordize his position with Voldemort since he knew Lucius was a DE
Did he do everything in his power to retrieve the prophecy in OotP?

Why does Lucius continue to serve Voldemort despite his ill treatment of him in DH? Do you think his loyalty was wavering?
Perhaps he still thinks there's hope that being associated with Voldemort will bring him power and riches. He might have thought that by serving him and trying to do whatever Voldemort wanted would get him back in Voldemort's favor.

How do you think Lucius reacted to Voldemort's defeat?
Probably not too well, considering that Voldemort could give him power. But a part of him might have been relieved that he wouldn't be mistreated anymore. Though he would still have to pay for his crimes, so he was probably mostly upset at Voldemort's defeat.

What do you think happened to him afterwards?
I think he went to Azkaban for a good long time for his crimes. And then he was probably released and might have seen the birth or at least the childhood of his grandson.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old October 14th, 2007, 5:02 am
Fourth Year

1. Is Lucius loyal to Voldemort or rather himself and his family? Ohhh, that's a hard one to answer. I think Lucius was "loyal" to Voldemort as long as it was in his own best interests. Narcissa and Draco were kind of along for the ride.
  2. What did he know about Riddle’s diary? I think he knew it had some very powerful magic and that part of Voldemort's/Riddle's soul lived within the diary and "communicated" with people. I also think Lucius passed it onto Ginny knowing she'd fall under its spell. I also think he put it into her Cauldron knowing it would go un-noticed, except for Harry who saw him slipping it in there.
  3. Fathers play an important role in the books. Is Lucius a good father? No, not at all. He expected Draco to behave a certain way. I think he was there physically and not emotionally. Lucius also expected Draco to stay in the shadows and only show off their wealth, to perform a certain way, etc. I don't think he was emotionally there for Draco and gave him that thumbs up "atta boy" encouragement he needed.
  4. What is/was his relationship to Bellatrix Lestrange/Arthur Weasley/his son Draco/Albus Dumbledore/Narcissa Malfoy/other Death Eaters/Severus Snape/Harry Potter? Bellatrix LeStrange saw Lucius Malfoy as a threat to her Powress within the Death Eaters. Especially after she was in Prison for 15 years. She knew Lucius had money, knew how to butter up to people, and probably saw her "ranking" plummet like a rock off a cliff. Arthur Weasley HATED Lucius Malfoy. He saw how dangerous/Evil Lucius was. They probably came to more than the exchange of insults on more than one occassion. Again, with his Son Draco, he saw Draco as something to be seen and not heard. Draco was expected to behave in a certain way. This is why I think Draco liked Snape so much. He knew Severus Snape saw his potential, his intelligence, etc. Lucius Malfoy thought Albus Dumbledore was a doddery old Fool who only saw "the best" in people. He also saw Albus as tainting the purity at Hogwarts by allowing people like Hagrid to stay at Hogwarts and Muggleborns to be taught at the school. Narcissa was supposed to be a good little Wife and be "presentable" when they went out. She wasn't supposed to say anything and was expected to nod at everything Lucius said. I don't think it was until Lucius was thrown in Prison and she was on her own that she REALLY saw how dangerous things could be. I think Lucius Malfoy trusted Severus Snape. He trusted that Snape was a Death Eater, etc. I think Snape may have been the only Death Eater Lucius saw as being an equal. Harry Potter was an arrogant little Punk who Bullied his Son and hung out with "Mudbloods" and other "embarrassments" to Wizarding Society. Harry Potter was the reason why Lucius wound up in Prison, etc. He was supposed to parish with his Mother and Father.
  5. Did he do everything in his power to retrieve the prophecy in OotP? Yes, but then Bellatrix had to come along and mess things up.
  6. Why does Lucius continue to serve Voldemort despite his ill treatment of him in DH? Do you think his loyalty was wavering? I don't think it was until Voldemort was "living" under the Malfoy's roof that Lucius realized how dangerous he could be. Until this point, Lucius only had to be in his presence for a few hours. Now he had to watch how he ate, breathed, walked, etc. Even then, I think it took Narcissa reading him the riot act that he realized how horrible things were. He couldn't tell Voldemort "I'm sorry, but my Family and I want some time alone", etc. He HAD to "live" with Voldemort AND Bellatrix who was more than happy to live under the same roof with him. Again, I think something BIG happened. Maybe Draco was tortured and Lucius couldn't step in and help or something. The only thing I can compare it to is kids when they see a Wheelchair. They think it's "really cool" and play with it, ride in it until they get tired, they then can get out of it and walk away. They don't think about people who NEED them to get around. It's not until Surgery, illness, etc and they HAVE to use it 24/7 that they realize how "cool" it REALLY is. At any rate, I do think his loyalty to Voldemort did waver and "die" when Voldemort was living under their roof, etc.
  7. How do you think Lucius reacted to Voldemort's defeat? What do you think happened to him afterwards? I think Lucius saw Voldemort's defeat as a huge relief. He didn't need to pretend any more. I also think it took living with Voldemort to make Lucius realize how lucky he was. As to what happened to him? I think he served the remainder of his sentence. Even though he didn't kill or torture anyone(according to Dumbledore), he did escape Prison and did NOT serve his full sentence. Either that or maybe he did community service of some sort. I also think he may have "paid a debt" to society by having his earnings go to rebuild Hogsmead and Hogwarts. I don't really know, but he definitely did NOT get off with his current sentence.

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Old October 14th, 2007, 2:58 pm
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
[b]I think he went to Azkaban for a good long time for his crimes. And then he was probably released and might have seen the birth or at least the childhood of his grandson.
He managed to beat Azkaban according to one of Jo's recent interviews.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old October 15th, 2007, 3:19 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Here's the quote from JKR:

Bloomsbury Chat, 2007

Georgina: Did lucius malfoy, and all the other escaped death eaters, go back to azkaban
J.K. Rowling: No, the Malfoys weaseled their way out of trouble (again) due to the fact that they colluded (albeit out of self-interest) with Harry at the end of the battle.

I was thinking today that both Lucius and Narcissa would probably have flashbacks/nightmares for years to come about what happened with Voldemort living in their house ,and that's really a sort of punishment.

They certainly wouldn't want anything like that to ever happen to Draco or his family again, so even though they did not "reform" they still redeemed themselves out of love for their family.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old October 15th, 2007, 3:24 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
Here's the quote from JKR:

Bloomsbury Chat, 2007

Georgina: Did lucius malfoy, and all the other escaped death eaters, go back to azkaban
J.K. Rowling: No, the Malfoys weaseled their way out of trouble (again) due to the fact that they colluded (albeit out of self-interest) with Harry at the end of the battle.

I was thinking today that both Lucius and Narcissa would probably have flashbacks/nightmares for years to come about what happened with Voldemort living in their house ,and that's really a sort of punishment.

They certainly wouldn't want anything like that to ever happen to Draco or his family again, so even though they did not "reform" they still redeemed themselves out of love for their family.
I agree that they turned on Voldy and betrayed him in the end. However, I don't know that I would find the family redeemed; their motive was selfish and had nothing to do with actually turning from their evil stance (at least in the case of Lucius - Narcissa and Draco may have). But I agree with the nightmares for years...that had to have been a horrible experience.

Old October 26th, 2007, 6:25 pm
First Year

Is Lucius loyal to Voldemort or rather himself and his family?
After Voldemort took over his house, I don't think so. He first respected Voldemort when he was in charge of missions and stuff...but after OOTP and Voldemort stopped putting him in charge of missions...not a chance. He respected his familily in the end, but at the beginning was more devoted to Voldemort rather to his family.

What did he know about Riddle’s diary?
No. He knew it was of some significance or else he wouldn't have kept it for Voldemort since his demise. It was proven in HBP that Lucius believed Voldemort to be dead, and thought to get rid of the stupid object for his own needs, as pointed out in Chamber of Secrets by Dumbledore. If any of you remember, Lucius was selling dark items in Borgin and Burkes...and decided to get rid of this, in case the Ministry were to call and suspect it to be a dark artefact, in another matter rather than just selling it. That way, he could get it away from his house...and yet use it for his own purposes.

Fathers play an important role in the books. Is Lucius a good father?
At the beginning no. He was cold to Draco in CoS...or maybe he just did not like showing affection to his family in public. In DH it was proven that he cared for his son. Or he just maybe realised what he was bringing his heir into and did not want the Malfoy name to die out.

What is/was his relationship to Bellatrix Lestrange/Arthur Weasley/his son Draco/Albus Dumbledore/Narcissa Malfoy/other Death Eaters/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?
Bellatrix - He obviously is infuriated by his sister-in-laws outbursts..so I don't think they were on good terms.
Draco - Answer 3...look above.
Narcissa - I think he loved her very much...considering it was at her touch that gave his wand to Voldemort.
Severus - Very good friends

Did he do everything in his power to retrieve the prophecy in OotP?
I don't think he did, because if he did..it would have ended up as Harry breaking the Prophecy on purpose...rather then breaking it by accident.

Why does Lucius continue to serve Voldemort despite his ill treatment of him in DH? Do you think his loyalty was wavering?
Absoloutely...since Voldemort was no longer intrusting him with missions, after all his devotion to the Dark Lord. He had no choice but to stay. It was a very good decision to stay with Voldemort at that time, or else he would have gotten himself killed (and maybe his family as well) for not being loyal to the 'Dark Lord'.

How do you think Lucius reacted to Voldemort's defeat? What do you think happened to him afterwards?
He and his family escaped Azkaban because of Narcissa's lie,which saved Harry and allowed him to defeat Voldemort once and for all.

Last edited by darkshadows001; October 27th, 2007 at 1:03 pm.
Old October 28th, 2007, 8:08 am
Lycanthrope

I was wondering if Lucius would try to get involved in the Ministry again; this time on a legitimate basis. He liked to run things and have his hand in the mix and many bad businessmen do turn into good ones after going through fraud or misrepresentation or the like. He might have managed to find some sort of advisory job against the dark arts or something. Of course it would take a while for him to prove himself I suppose - and the way he was described just made him appear suspicious; he reminded me of the wraith from Stargate Atlantis. Nonetheless, I think in time it is a possibility for Lucius to rejoin the ministry in some capacity.

Old October 28th, 2007, 10:08 am
Master Seer

Quote:
I was wondering if Lucius would try to get involved in the Ministry again; this time on a legitimate basis. He liked to run things and have his hand in the mix and many bad businessmen do turn into good ones after going through fraud or misrepresentation or the like.
I like to think that the one thing he learnt was to keep out of politics in the future, and buy a Quidditch team instead. Like this bloke owning the Chelsea football team, buying the best players worldwide, and satiate his (Lucius') hunger for victory etc on the Quidditch pitch

Old October 28th, 2007, 11:43 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal View Post
I like to think that the one thing he learnt was to keep out of politics in the future, and buy a Quidditch team instead. Like this bloke owning the Chelsea football team, buying the best players worldwide, and satiate his (Lucius') hunger for victory etc on the Quidditch pitch
I don't think he would...now that everyone knew that he was a Death Eater, I don't think he was exactly as you know...favoured by Fudge and everybody after all that. So...joining the Ministry doesn't seem like a good idea. If he proves he's reformed, then he MIGHT get some respect back...but I'm not entirely sure.

Old October 28th, 2007, 1:17 pm
Second Year

1. Is Lucius loyal to Voldemort or rather himself and his family?
Himself. I don't think he is like James, and cares more about his family than himself. He follows Voldemort's orders partly out of fear and partly because he and Voldy have the same ideas and same plan.

2. What did he know about Riddle’s diary?
It was precious to Voldemort. If anything happened to it, he would be punished severly. As it happened, JKR tells us Voldy wasn't happy with Lucius, so when he messed up at the MoM, he was big big trouble.
He probably thought it could be dangerous, and that's why he gave it to Ginny Weasley.

3. Fathers play an important role in the books. Is Lucius a good father?
No, I don't think so. Maybe for him, but not for me. Draco was fed with bad ideas about Muggle-borns and Voldemort before he even went to Hogwarts.

4. What is/was his relationship to Bellatrix Lestrange/Arthur Weasley/his son Draco/Albus Dumbledore/Narcissa Malfoy/other Death Eaters/Severus Snape/Harry Potter?
Bellatrix - co-Death Eater and probably co-superior Death Eater.
Arthur Weasley - as "bad" as a Muggle Born and personnal ennemy.
Draco - er ... Son. The next Malfoy, so brought up with Malfoy ideas.
Albus Dumbledore - a threat to the pure blooded Voldy-followers and a completly crazy pathetic man.
Narcissa Malfoy - er ... Wife. What else can I say? Probably one of the few people he cares for after himself.
Other Death Eaters - not as good as himself. He gives them orders, so he's better than them.
Severus Snape - Hmm... I think mistrusted, but forced to trust because of him being a Death Eater (does anyone understand what I mean? If you don't, don't worry. It's my illogical logic.)

5. Did he do everything in his power to retrieve the prophecy in OotP?
Yes, but not out of worry for Voldy, but for himself and his punishment.

6. Why does Lucius continue to serve Voldemort despite his ill treatment of him in DH? Do you think his loyalty was wavering?
He continues, because it's that or death. And his loyalty is definatly wavering, maybe even bouncing up and down. Voldemort almost indirectly killed Draco.

7. How do you think Lucius reacted to Voldemort's defeat? What do you think happened to him afterwards?
I think he was probably quite relived actually. He and most of the Death Eaters tried to get normal lives again. I think Lucius could have made it happen.

James & Lily
Hermione & Ron - Luna & Trevor
u2 & Nirvana - Green Day & The White Stripes
The Doctor & Me.

A Little Bit Of Fanart
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, Harry, and forget to live." - Dumbledore PS Film
Old October 28th, 2007, 1:32 pm
Third Year

I didn't really have a feel for Lucius during the books, but after seeing the movies, and Jason Isaacs playing him so perfectly, I found him one of the most interesting characters. He could be so haughty, and even cruel with Dobby, but he was soooo smooth. He was polite even to his enemies. It seemed like he took everything calmly. Even in CoS in DD's office at the end, when DD was accusing him of giving Ginny the diary, he showed only the barest flicker of fear/guilt.

I think that in GoF, he must have come to respect HP, for taking on LV - he might have been mentally comparing him with Draco, knowing that Draco didn't have half of HP's bravery and quick thinking.

After the scene in the forest in DH, did he think Harry was crazy to arrive ready to die? Would he actually congratulate HP on his vanquishing of LV in the Great Hall? Perhaps by that time he realized that no one but HP could have done what he did. At least he had to respect his courage.

Regarding his role as a school governor, Lucius really did believe that he had the school's best interests at heart, however misguided he might have been about 'muggleborns'. I think he must have been very upset at being thrown off the school board.

I think Lucius was a good father to Draco. Who among us doesn't pass on our prejudices to our children? He obviously cared about him and spent time with him. He taught him to be polite and very well groomed. He tried to teach him not to brag, but Draco hadn't yet perfected Lucius' smooth approach to bullying. Draco obviously learned his sycophant behavior, (especially with Snape), from Lucius, who had to be an expert at it with LV.

Lucius acted like he was royalty, yet was a servant with LV - this must have been very difficult for him to carry off. Yet he dare not complain or his family might pay the ultimate price with LV.

Lucius was not a caricature - he had a well-rounded personality, and it made for very interesting reading/watching.

FGM

Old October 28th, 2007, 4:19 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyLuny View Post
?
Severus Snape - Hmm... I think mistrusted, but forced to trust because of him being a Death Eater (does anyone understand what I mean? If you don't, don't worry. It's my illogical logic.)
Its okay...I get what you mean

Old October 28th, 2007, 4:42 pm
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther View Post
I think Lucius was a good father to Draco. Who among us doesn't pass on our prejudices to our children? He obviously cared about him and spent time with him. He taught him to be polite and very well groomed. He tried to teach him not to brag, but Draco hadn't yet perfected Lucius' smooth approach to bullying. Draco obviously learned his sycophant behavior, (especially with Snape), from Lucius, who had to be an expert at it with LV.
I can't recall a single example of Draco being polite, or resisting the urge to brag. It is worrisome that parents do pass along prejudices to their children, at least to me. The world would be a better place if we could recognize how offensive our prejudices can be, how limiting they are, and make a pledge to not pass them on to the next generation.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

August 28, 2013

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old October 28th, 2007, 8:33 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I can't recall a single example of Draco being polite, or resisting the urge to brag. It is worrisome that parents do pass along prejudices to their children, at least to me. The world would be a better place if we could recognize how offensive our prejudices can be, how limiting they are, and make a pledge to not pass them on to the next generation.
I think you hit the nail on the head - Lucius didn't realize that his prejudices were offensive, he thought that his belief system was exemplary. That Draco would believe and behave as he did was to him, excellent, imo. JKR did say that Draco was protecting the trio in Malfoy Manor when Lucius was attempting to get him to identify them (despite the danger that meant to his own family). Thus I would say that Draco did manage to rise above his father's way of thinking to some degree.

Old October 29th, 2007, 11:40 am
First Year

Quote:
I think you hit the nail on the head - Lucius didn't realize that his prejudices were offensive, he thought that his belief system was exemplary. That Draco would believe and behave as he did was to him, excellent, imo. JKR did say that Draco was protecting the trio in Malfoy Manor when Lucius was attempting to get him to identify them (despite the danger that meant to his own family). Thus I would say that Draco did manage to rise above his father's way of thinking to some degree.
Very true. You could tell he was hesitating to say it was Harry, even though he knew it was him. The way he didn't even look at the other two, you could tell he didn't think the way his father did anymore.

Old November 4th, 2007, 7:50 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadows001 View Post
Very true. You could tell he was hesitating to say it was Harry, even though he knew it was him. The way he didn't even look at the other two, you could tell he didn't think the way his father did anymore.
That brings up an interesting notion. Did Lucius think the way he had in the past, post battle? It is very possible he realized the magnitude of his erroneous ways, that, after all, was a huge wake up call. I could see him remaining haughty and somewhat distainful of others, but I think the war and Voldemort's ultimate actions was enough to convince any sane person that his regime was a fraud. Lucius may have been many things, but he was not insane. I think he would have learned something from all of that.

Old November 4th, 2007, 8:16 pm
Renegade

Quote:
That brings up an interesting notion. Did Lucius think the way he had in the past, post battle? It is very possible he realized the magnitude of his erroneous ways, that, after all, was a huge wake up call. I could see him remaining haughty and somewhat distainful of others, but I think the war and Voldemort's ultimate actions was enough to convince any sane person that his regime was a fraud. Lucius may have been many things, but he was not insane. I think he would have learned something from all of that.
I think so, too, up to a point. When Harry was at Malfoy Manner, Lucius seemed altogether too ready to regain his standing with Voldemort by being the one to turn Harry in. Seeing the wretched state Lucius was in during the Battle of Hogwarts, that "punishment" might have broken him completely. The change in Narcissa was more obvious than in Lucius. She and Draco did indeed collude with Harry; Lucius did not.

I doubt if the Malfoys were the only death eater families to escape trial and conviction after Voldemort fell. Can you imagine what it must have been like for Lucius to meet those former colleagues after the fact? Some of them were probably among those who laughed at his downfall... in one instance they laughed in his presence. Even the Carrows, away at Hogwarts, knew of the Malfoys fall from favor.

I think pride would have kept them on their hoity-toity high horse after Voldemort left the scene for good. The Malfoys don't strike me as the type to suddenly develop compassion and understanding, or a desire to help undo all the wrong that had been done.

I am amazed at how close I came to guessing the finale. I knew it would be at Hogwarts. I knew the Ministry would fall, although I expected them to retreat to Hogwarts with the rest of the Order of the Phoenix. I knew - or guessed - that the Malfoys would fall very low. I was wrong about most of the "hows" in terms of how these things would happen, but remarkably on-point for the "whats."

August 28, 2013

Last edited by purplehawk; November 4th, 2007 at 8:20 pm.
Old November 4th, 2007, 8:27 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Oh, I think Lucius knew about the 'fraud' part of the regime all along during Voldemort's second reign. He might have been young, blinded and adventurous (in a perverted way of that term) in his youth in the Seventies to join up, but he is clever, and no way I believe that he didn't figure out about Voldemort's true origin at some point between 1975 and 1992 (when giving Ginny the diary). Just as well, awful snob and prejudiced arse that he surely is, I don't believe for a second that Lucius ever bought into the whole 'muggleborns steal their magic from wizards' nonsense. Not even Draco as a twelve-year-old believed that - or we would have heard him say it, that kid voiced all of his opinions on that head without reserve.

I think I said it eight times in this thread alone, but I'm staunchly convinced that Lucius had no whatsoever illusions from the moment on when he saw Voldemort in that graveyard. He didn't want the old boss back, he had his bottom pretty much where he wanted it already. Lucius couldn't gain anything by the return, and being not stupid, he also knew from the last time that it's a dangerous business, and that not only his neck was in peril (for being so disloyal, for losing the diary (or why didn't he, when Voldemort criticised them, cry out 'Here, master, me! Me! I tried it with that weird diary you left in my possession!'), and it comes with the territory as a Death Eater, being constantly engaged in duels with Aurors etc isn't on the healthy side either), but that his whole family might be endangered if he didn't please the ('unworthy Half-blood scum') master.

No, Lucius didn't come back to that graveyard voluntarily, or pleased, or remotely optimistic to finally purge the world of the unworthy. I think Lucius doesn't even care that much about someone's bloodstatus, as long as it suits him, or he can benefit from that person (note his friendship with the Half-blood Severus). He looks down on them, but then he looks down on everyone - and in this respect, the outcome of the war hasn't changed him and his views, in my opinion. He's likely to still sneer at somebody like Hermione, or the Weasleys; if he's learnt something, it's to keep a lower profile, that's all.

Last edited by Fleur du mal; November 4th, 2007 at 8:33 pm.
Old November 4th, 2007, 8:34 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I think so, too, up to a point. When Harry was at Malfoy Manner, Lucius seemed altogether too ready to regain his standing with Voldemort by being the one to turn Harry in. Seeing the wretched state Lucius was in during the Battle of Hogwarts, that "punishment" might have broken him completely. The change in Narcissa was more obvious than in Lucius. She and Draco did indeed collude with Harry; Lucius did not.

I doubt if the Malfoys were the only death eater families to escape trial and conviction after Voldemort fell. Can you imagine what it must have been like for Lucius to meet those former colleagues after the fact? Some of them were probably among those who laughed at his downfall... in one instance they laughed in his presence. Even the Carrows, away at Hogwarts, knew of the Malfoys fall from favor.

I think pride would have kept them on their hoity-toity high horse after Voldemort left the scene for good. The Malfoys don't strike me as the type to suddenly develop compassion and understanding, or a desire to help undo all the wrong that had been done.

I am amazed at how close I came to guessing the finale. I knew it would be at Hogwarts. I knew the Ministry would fall, although I expected them to retreat to Hogwarts with the rest of the Order of the Phoenix. I knew - or guessed - that the Malfoys would fall very low. I was wrong about most of the "hows" in terms of how these things would happen, but remarkably on-point for the "whats."
That is pretty amazing. I didn't think any of those things at all. The single thing I got right was that Harry would kill Voldemort with his own rebounding curse - I even had a whole argument on how it would still be considered killing by Harry and the person ended the conversation saying: 'well it doesn't matter because it won't happen like that anyway'. LOL.

I agree with you. I think Lucius would be the least of his family members to ever develop any compassion or understanding for mankind. But I meant he might actually have an internal realization about the virtue of tempering his desire for power and the means he'd been willing to use in the past to get it. However, I don't think he would be given the opportunity by the new Ministry or any other ranking office in the wizard world to show any revelations he might have in that regard, so the point might be moot. .

I agree also that his old DE friends would continue to laugh in his face - but I am certain that if anyone was arrogant enough to take it without flinching, Lucius is your man. Nonetheless, he would have some justification in that the leader of them all had been vanquished - I mean those doing the laughing don't have much to say for themselves either. Then too, he became a grandfather and that can cause people to change in ways as well - it can have a steadying affect; I don't know if it would for Lucius, but there is always a chance it might. But I agree that any change would not significantly grand, I was thinking of something on a smaller scale.