Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Arthur Weasley: Character Analysis

Old July 13th, 2007, 12:36 am
Unspeakable

Arthur Weasley: Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Arthur Weasley. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Arthur Weasley: Character

1) Is Arthur more of a father figure to Harry than Sirius or James? What does his treatment of Harry say about his character? Should he have made more of an effort to be a male role model for Harry or has his approach been 'just right'?

2) Does he treat his children fairly? Is he too soft on punishments (the Ford Anglia incident springs to mind) or a needed balance to Molly's child-rearing methods?

3) How does Arthur's mania for all-things-Muggle affect his character? How does it affect his interactions with Muggles? He lives near a Muggle village and works in London, so why does it seem as though he has ignored opportunities to interact with them more than he does (he often seems rather clueless about them, though he worked in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts for years)?

4) Before HBP, there was speculation about Arthur becoming the next Minister of Magic. That didn't happen, of course, but there is the future. Would Arthur be a good Minister now, or under other circumstances? He doesn't seem like a political climber, though he was promoted in HBP; would Arthur want/accept the job if chosen? Has he harbored political aspirations or a desire to rise through the ranks but been thwarted by the Purebloods who consider him a Blood Traitor?

5) What do you think Arthur chose to do after DH? Do you think he went back to the Muggle Artifacts Office or accept a higher position from Kingsley?

Last edited by Jessica; July 23rd, 2007 at 7:25 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 4:36 am
First Year

Re: Arthur Weasley: Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Arthur Weasley. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Arthur Weasley: Character

1) Is Arthur more of a father figure to Harry than Sirius or James? What does his treatment of Harry say about his character? Should he have made more of an effort to be a male role model for Harry or has his approach been 'just right'?

Actually, I think Arthur parents like James would have. Had Harry and Sirius had more time, perhaps that would have developed, but as Molly points out, they are more like to have a fraternal relationship. Harry might have resented Arthur if he tried to parent him, so I think the approach was just right. He was there when Harry needed an ear, and I think in a lot of situations Harry needed that mothering quality from Molly more than anything Arthur could have given.

2) Does he treat his children fairly? Is he too soft on punishments (the Ford Anglia incident springs to mind) or a needed balance to Molly's child-rearing methods?

I won't say Arthur's a softy because of the car thing, because you have to admit, that was cool. Opposites attract, and I think Molly and Arthur just have different personalities. Call me old fashioned, but with him at work all day and Molly doing the child rearing, it seems right for her to be the disciplinarian.

3) How does Arthur's mania for all-things-Muggle affect his character? How does it affect his interactions with Muggles? He lives near a Muggle village and works in London, so why does it seem as though he has ignored opportunities to interact with them more than he does (he often seems rather clueless about them, though he worked in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts for years)?

Well, you can study things, and theorize, but until you get in there and live it you can't learn it. While Arthur did have a hobby of examining Muggles, I don't think he truly wanted to experience their life.

4) Before HBP, there was speculation about Arthur becoming the next Minister of Magic. That didn't happen, of course, but there is the future. Would Arthur be a good Minister now, or under other circumstances? He doesn't seem like a political climber, though he was promoted in HBP; would Arthur want/accept the job if chosen? Has he harbored political aspirations or a desire to rise through the ranks but been thwarted by the Purebloods who consider him a Blood Traitor?

I can't see it! I think he deserves a better position than the one he held in earlier books, but let's face it - Molly would make a better minister than he would. I see him as the Brit equivalent to a Chief of Staff.

5) What do you think Arthur chose to do after DH? Do you think he went back to the Muggle Artifacts Office or accept a higher position from Kingsley?

Well once they kicked all the Death Eaters out, I bet a lot of opportunities came open, and he took one!

Old August 2nd, 2007, 4:06 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwilliamson View Post

I won't say Arthur's a softy because of the car thing, because you have to admit, that was cool. Opposites attract, and I think Molly and Arthur just have different personalities. Call me old fashioned, but with him at work all day and Molly doing the child rearing, it seems right for her to be the disciplinarian.
I don't think he's a softy either. When the kids do something serious, he jumps right on them - the best example I've got at the moment is GoF when Fred and George give Dudley the, eh, candy. I think he's got the same mischievous streak as his children and at times, like flying the car, he fails to hide it. Not that he really needs to, but if you've already got kids like the twins - well, they didn't really need encouragement.

Well, that depends on what happened to his old position. If it were treated with the respect that it deserved, he'd probably go back. I could easily see him expanding the department and its legislation to be more practical. There wouldn't have to be a blanket ban on enchanting muggle objects if he had the staff to ensure that the muggles were kept safe and unaware.

Proud Member of Moony's Loonies, The Big Squishy Hugs for Lupin Society, Lupin Defenders Association, Order of St. Bisclarvet, W.O.L.F., No Death By Poking and The Cod Squad

Lupinites My Blog My Artwork

Old August 5th, 2007, 4:10 am
First Year

Quote:

Well once they kicked all the Death Eaters out, I bet a lot of opportunities came open, and he took one!
I think that he would stay with Muggle Artifacts Office. In the books he loved the technology of the muggles. I think he would carry out his passion with the artifacts and decline a higher position if it is out that area of work.

Old August 5th, 2007, 4:54 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Arthur had already been promoted in HBP...in DH he had to stop going to work because he was being watched. But, post-DH, I bet he might have climbed fairly high up under Kingsley. I don't know if he'd be one of the true top-tier, but I could see Kingsley trusting him with the "grunt work" that's essential to running a good ministry.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 13th, 2007, 5:43 am
First Year

2. I think Arthur's parenting style is a bit different than Molly's. He's always seemed like the dad who would be friends with his kids and let them make their own mistakes unless they put themselves or someone else in really serious and unnecessary danger.

3. Arthur would never want to be a Muggle but he is fascinated with them. Whenever we see him interacting with them he treats everything like it's completely novel and fascinating. It's almost like to him, Muggles are zoo creatures that he can study. At the same time he is probably a bit alarmed by them so does not interact with them as much as he could.

4. Arthur would probably be an okay minister but Kingsley is better I don't know if Arthur could let himself be as fair and steady as a minister should be, but he could definetely climb in the Ministry to help the wizarding world.
5. He'll probably climb higher up while still doing something he loves, probably related to Muggle artifacts.

Old August 13th, 2007, 4:26 pm
Second Year

I think that Arthur is not as much of a father figure to Harry as he is his protector. James and Sirius cared for him deeply, and yes, Arthur does too, but Arthur works in the Ministry and to me it seems like he doesn't give him as much worldly advice that Sirius gave, or that James would have given. He tells him the ins and outs of the Ministry, and how he is in grave danger. He protects him from his direct weakness.

I think that he is the typical funny father. He doesn't treat his children unfairly at all. His children seem to turn to him when they don't want to get in trouble, or when they did something wrong. He and Molly are a well-oiled machine; he brings in the money and takes it easy on the kids, she runs the house and disciplines.

I think that Arthur knows his boundaries when it comes to interacting with Muggles; he knows that revealing the wizarding worl to the muggle world would destroy his life and the life of his families, and thats why I don't think he would interact with them as much. I think that the fact that he works for the Muggle Artifacts section of the Ministry pegs him as a connection to the muggle world in the series, besides Harry of course, who we know grew up living in a muggle family. It gives him his quirky sense of humor that he doesn't know anythign about them yet he tries to hard to figure it out.

I don't think that Arthur would be a good MoM. Although I said before that he wouldn't want to mingle with the muggles because it would destroy his world, but with the sudden increase in power, who knows what would happen. We saw that with Dumbledore he knew his boundaries and didn't take the job, but I don't think that Arthur would have a struggle with power until he got the job. With that said, I'm not sure that he would even take the job. He has such close ties to his family that he might not want to be away from them for long periods of time.

I think that he went right back to the Ministry, for sure, but I don't know if he went back to the Muggle Artifacts Office. We don't know for sure that Kingsley gave him a higher position, but to re-organize the Ministry, I would assume he would, and Arthur would accept the job, as long as the new job didn't consume the time with his family.

I am McLovin.
Old August 13th, 2007, 5:24 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
It was the right approach. Arthur seems to be a bit more reserved when it comes to showing his affection, even with his own chilren. Therefore, he let Molly do the 'Harry-mothering', but was otherwise always there for him. Harry seemed to trust Arthur, he told him about his suspicions regarding Malfoy at the beginning of HBP after all. I would say Arthur was/is Harry´s father figure.

Quote:
I think Arthur is the balance to Molly in a way. He lets her do the everyday business when it comes to his children´s education (and sometimes necessary punishment), but he definitely steps in when push comes to shove. I recall Ron telling Harry that Arthur gave the twins a hard time when he noticed the twins tried to lure little-Ron into making an Unbreakable Vow.

Quote:
Arthur might want to interact more with Muggles, but he has to oblige to the Decree about Secrecy or whatever it is called. The wizarding world has decided long ago to live hidden besides the Muggle world and Arthur would not want to break that just so. But he got Muggle in-laws eventually und could ask them everything he always wanted to know. I just hope the Grangers can explain to him how aeroplanes stay in the air.

Quote:
I always had the impression Molly was the one with the certain ambition. Arthur seemed to be quite happy where he was. While he would make a fantastic Minister for Magic, IMO, I think he would not want it really.

Quote:
That depends on how the new, improved Ministry is structured. An Office for the Detection and Confiscation of Counterfeit Defensive Spells and Protective Objects (phew, I just copied and pasted that. These departments´s names are killing me) might not really be necessary now that LV has been defeated. Maybe Kingsley will ask Arthur what kind of Office he would like to lead and I can imagine he would choose something with Muggle Relations.

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu

Last edited by ronjalina; August 13th, 2007 at 5:27 pm.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 9:06 pm
Lycanthrope

What I found interesting was JKR's indication that Arthur had the characteristic of being the best father in the series (of those we actually got a chance to see fathering). Frankly, I don't recall much of his fathering either - could be a memory lapse. But it is interesting she allowed him to live and elected others to die in his stead based on that. I would think his actual fathering would have been more evident in such a case. However, I guess just the fact that his kids all grew up to be lovely people is testimony to his parenting skills. We saw a lot more of Molly I thought.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 1:36 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
What I found interesting was JKR's indication that Arthur had the characteristic of being the best father in the series (of those we actually got a chance to see fathering). Frankly, I don't recall much of his fathering either - could be a memory lapse. But it is interesting she allowed him to live and elected others to die in his stead based on that. I would think his actual fathering would have been more evident in such a case. However, I guess just the fact that his kids all grew up to be lovely people is testimony to his parenting skills. We saw a lot more of Molly I thought.
Arthur's parenting seemed more subtle. We also don't see many other examples of fathers in the series - Lucius used Draco at times; Crabbe and Goyle and Nott are mentioned by name only, and several other parents are either never mentioned or are absent / cursed / dead. I'm not saying it's by default that he's the best parent, just that the pool is surprisingly small.

I think the best example that Arthur's a good father (excellent father, in fact) is his statement to Harry in HBP ("I'm the one who brought up Fred and George", or something close to this). We don't see him "in action" much, but he's got the respect and adoration of his kids, Harry, and Hermione, and that's something.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old August 23rd, 2007, 1:45 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Arthur's parenting seemed more subtle. We also don't see many other examples of fathers in the series - Lucius used Draco at times; Crabbe and Goyle and Nott are mentioned by name only, and several other parents are either never mentioned or are absent / cursed / dead. I'm not saying it's by default that he's the best parent, just that the pool is surprisingly small.

I think the best example that Arthur's a good father (excellent father, in fact) is his statement to Harry in HBP ("I'm the one who brought up Fred and George", or something close to this). We don't see him "in action" much, but he's got the respect and adoration of his kids, Harry, and Hermione, and that's something.
Yeah, it may be more a matter of me forgetting his little parts. I seem to recall his running from Molly's temper a lot and their little battle in the hospital - but that wasn't fathering. I don't recall any heart to hearts with him and his kids or with Harry - but again, the subtle view I can totally see.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 1:49 am
First Year

1.) I think Arthur acted more "fatherly" to Harry in the traditional sense. Sirius was more of the rambunctious buddy side of a dad. He did a pretty good job with Harry.

2.) He acts like my dad. He isn't too lenient, he is just laid-back and leaves most of the discipline to his wife who handles it better, but he's shown he can have a stricter side sometimes.

3.) I think it just adds humor to the story. He is a wizard obsessed with all things muggle but cannot grasp simple muggle concepts.

4.) I think Arthur wouldn't want to be Minister of Magic, except maybe for the opportunity to talk to the Prime Minister and other muggles. He's too interested in that sort of thing to become a political leader.

5.) He might have been promoted to something higher within the muggle area of the Ministry. I was thinking maybe after Voldemort was destroyed and the new Ministry was formed, that muggle interaction would either be increased or studies in that field would grow, so maybe there'd be new positions for him.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 1:50 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Yeah, it may be more a matter of me forgetting his little parts. I seem to recall his running from Molly's temper a lot and their little battle in the hospital - but that wasn't fathering. I don't recall any heart to hearts with him and his kids or with Harry - but again, the subtle view I can totally see.
I like the subtle view, too, because it presents a "good cop bad cop" thing that can be very effective - remember Fred (or George) describing the Percy estrangement with the words "It's usually Mom who yells". Not that Molly's truly a bad cop, but he's the one they trust to let them get away with a little bit - like the flying car, etc - while not letting them get away with a lot. The kids only realize when they're older that Molly doesn't actually disapprove that much of Arthur being a bit more slack; she just goes with it because she knows that if the kids are allowed to break the rules a little, they won't be likely to break them a lot later.

Old August 24th, 2007, 5:51 pm
First Year

I don't think that Arthur is Harry's most prominent father figure, but I do think that he is his best. Arthur is not one to sugar coat things, and he insists on always telling Harry the truth. Telling Harry about Sirius Black and about the Order of the Phoenix spring to mind as examples. He also cares deeply about Harry. Notice that he is happy to take Harry to the ministry hearing. He doesn't see it as an added burden or anything like that.

I think that Arthur is the cool side to Molly's fiery personality. He needs to be slightly more lenient on his children, lest they rebel. Arthur is IMO, an excellent father.

As for Arthur's obsession with Muggles, I think it's there more for comic relief than anything, but it does help bring about the concept of prejudice and it also illustrates Arthur's curiosity.

Old August 24th, 2007, 6:04 pm
Fifth Year

Without a doubt Arthur really is the best father.He's a wonderful person.The way his children are is proof of that.The thing I love about the weasleys parents is that they are not just concerned about their own children but all young people around them(anyone younger then them really).Even though he doesnt' really show any anger it's obvious his children listen to him and know when to listen to him(meaning when he's serious).He's easily one of the kindest people in the books.Really a great person.

I can see him having a more important position in the ministry,maybe ssomething to do with muggle protection.

Old September 27th, 2007, 12:52 am
Fifth Year

Arthur is more, the stable table with Harry, than Sirius was.
Is he too soft with his kids.................yes!
Muggles concepts.....he's like a lot of people, interested in things on a face value, but not into the inner workings....his interest in 'how aeroplanes fly?' would fascinate most people....he could have asked how helicopters stay up, and I could have answered that one!
A 'go between' acting with Muggles and the MoM.....a great job for him.

Old September 27th, 2007, 3:25 am
Second Year

I think he doesn't know much about Muggles because the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts office doesn't really deal with Muggles. Arthur's job involves muggle objects charmed by wizards, so he doesn't really learn much about the object or Muggles at all.

I think he doesn't make that much of an effort to interact with Muggles because he is busy with work and his family, and he is just caught up in the wizarding world. It is all he knows, really.

"Listening to the news! Again?"
"Well, it changes every day, you see."
Old September 27th, 2007, 3:39 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifink2much View Post
Without a doubt Arthur really is the best father.He's a wonderful person.The way his children are is proof of that.The thing I love about the weasleys parents is that they are not just concerned about their own children but all young people around them(anyone younger then them really).Even though he doesnt' really show any anger it's obvious his children listen to him and know when to listen to him(meaning when he's serious).He's easily one of the kindest people in the books.Really a great person.

I can see him having a more important position in the ministry,maybe ssomething to do with muggle protection.
I recall scenes with Mr. Weasley in them, but it seems like everyone around always talked over him. He spoke at the hospital a bit and at the Quidditch Tournament, but apart from that he seemed limited to one liners here and there. Usually it was Molly who cut him off, but I recall Sirius, Remus and his kids doing it too. He seemed like a calm soul.

Old September 27th, 2007, 10:54 pm
I want to believe

No, I think Sirius and James were the primary father figures for Harry, though Arthur certainly does show care and concern for Harry's well-being. But he did try to make Harry feel right at home with the rest of his family. I think he approach with Harry was just right - he was approachable and easy for Harry to talk to without forcing his care on Harry.

I think he treats his children fairly. He is a bit soft on the discipline side of things, but he's a good foil for Molly's fierceness. But I think that's just his personality - he's a lot more laid-back than Molly and he allows his children to get away with a lot more than Molly does.

Arthur's muggle-mania makes him quirky and gives his character some definition. It's often comic relief when Arthur tries to act like a muggle or when he interacts with them, because he often doesn't get things quite right (eklectricity, escapators, etc). Arthur probably doesn't interact with muggles as much as we'd think he would because 1) he's often very busy at the Ministry, and 2) it's possible that he realizes he might violate the statute of secrecy if he interacts too much with muggles, which would jeapordize his career at the Ministry.

4) Would Arthur be a good Minister now, or under other circumstances? He doesn't seem like a political climber, though he was promoted in HBP; would Arthur want/accept the job if chosen? Has he harbored political aspirations or a desire to rise through the ranks but been thwarted by the Purebloods who consider him a Blood Traitor?
Well, I'm not sure Arthur is really cut out to be a political leader, and I don't think he'd really aspire to become Minister. If offered the job, it's possible he could take it, but I think he'd prefer to remain in his department or in some department that deals with muggles in some way.
I think he may either have become Head of the Muggle Artifacts Office or remained as Head of the Office for the Detection and Confiscation of Counterfeit Defensive Spells and Protective Objects. It seemed to me like Arthur was very happy with the work he was doing without needing to be in a position of high power. Although I also like the idea of Arthur becoming a liaison between the muggle and magical worlds.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:59 pm
Inconceivable!

JK Rowling has given us some more information about Arthur in her New York City event tour interview on Oct 19, 2007:

JKR in NYC-from TLCHow different would the last two books be if Arthur had been killed in the middle of book five?

I think they would have been very different and it's part of the reason why I chose my mind. ... By turning Ron into half of Harry, in other words by turning Ron into someone who had suffered the loss of a parent, I was going to remove the Weasleys as a refuge for Harry and I was going to necessarily remove a lot of Ron's humor. That's part of the reason why I didn't kill Arthur. I wanted to keep Ron in tact ... a lot of Ron's humor comes from his insensitivity and his immaturity, to be honest about Ron. And Ron finally, I think, you see, grows up in this book. He's the last of the three to reach what I consider adulthood, and he does it then [ when he destroys the horcrux] and faces those things. So that's part of the reason. The only other reason I didn't kill Arthur was that I wanted to come full circle. We started with an orphan, someone who lost their parents because of the war. ANd so I wanted to show it again. ... Even though you don't see Teddy, I wanted to express in the epilogue, that he gets an even better godfather than Harry had, because Sirius had ihs faults, I think we must admit. He was a risky guy to have a s a godfather. Because Teddy gets someone who really has been there, and Harry becomes a really great father figure for Teddy as well as his own children. I hasten to add that I didn't kill Lupin or Tonks lightly. I loved them as characters...so that hurt, killing them.
I was glad to find out that she changed her mind about killing Arthur. Harry needed a safe harbor and the Weasley family provided that for him. JKR also said, in an earlier interview, that she needed a good father figure in her books. Arthur was the one that we really sw in action, as a good father. There may have been other good fathers, but we never see them dealing with the kinds of issues we see Arthur handling. Arthur becomes a good role model for the boys, too.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Last edited by SusanBones; October 20th, 2007 at 1:02 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies