Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Ginevra (Ginny) Weasley: Character Analysis

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:04 pm
Banned

Re: Ginevra (Ginny) Weasley: Character Analysis

Well, as Ginny haven't any character devellopement in the last book, i don't see
much to say.

No funny lines, no epic moments, a kiss with Harry......not much

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 5:24 pm
Third Year

Yeah I was a bit disappointed that she played so little a part. But when you think about it, she actually did play a bigger role than some give her credit for. She was Harry's embodiment of hope. He watched her comings and goings at Hogwarts and dwelled on his love for her. She gave Harry an even bigger reason to fight to the death: a happy future.

UNIQUE: Just because you are unique does not mean you are useful.

MySpace is fun.

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old July 25th, 2007, 5:48 pm
Banned

Except the fact that Harry was willing to sacrifice himself. (forest again)

He thought not a lot about Ginny at this moment.

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:53 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by castel View Post
He thought not a lot about Ginny at this moment.
Ginny was the last thought he had before he was struck by the Avada Kedavra out in that forest.
DH, The Forest Again...and Harry thought inexplicably of Ginny, and her blazing look, and the feel of her lips on his...

Old July 25th, 2007, 6:44 pm
First Year

I think while I was reading the book (I find myself reiterating this a lot, actually, on many more subjects) I almost disliked it because of the diminuitive role Ginny had in the plot, and the fact that Harry was always looking at her but never bothered saying anything more than things like, "Get out of the way," or, "Be careful." I have always loved Ginny's character because I have felt that she could be more important than just a love interest for Harry, and when she amounted to nothing more than that, I was very sad.

Looking back, I feel like Ginny's character was very crucial, in a sense, for the outcome of Deathly Hallows. We didn't see a lot of interaction between her and Harry, of course, but her role was more symbolic to him than that. The scene before he sets off to sacrifice himself shows this. When he sees Ginny comforting a small girl and hesitates on whether to tell her what he is about to do, Harry momentarily catches a glimpse into the future that could be. In the small child, he sees a child that could be theirs, and Ginny as her mother. Going to the scene of the Mirror of Erised in the first book, we know that Harry's greatest desire is to have a family, be a part of a group of people that truly care for him and love him as their own. Thus, in this moment, he is seeing the family that cannot be (so he thinks) and is giving up the chance of his greatest desire for what he knows is the greater good for Ginny's, and everybody else's, future. That is the true sacrifice that Harry makes in the story, and that is probably a major contributing factor to his staying alive when the Avada Kedavra hits him. It is much like the sacrifice Lily makes towards Harry.

Thankfully, Ginny did have a few other moments. I wish she could have had many more, considering this is the last book, but I think, like others have said, this is Harry's story, not Ginny's: hers is for the future, a future that sees Harry's desire and her own through to its fruition.

EDIT:

Additionally worthy of mention was Harry's coldness towards Lupin when Lupin proposed leaving behind Tonks with a then unborn child. Harry chose not to tell Ginny anything before he went to sacrifice himself, because he feels that leading her on to his intentions right before sacrificing himself would be hypocritical of him, the same as Lupin leaving Tonks right after she announced she was pregnant with their child. That moment could have been the moment where Harry told Ginny everything, so that she did not see him die without knowing the real reason why he sacrificed himself. Please note, he was seriously contemplating it, and I'm sure a lot of us would have wanted him to tell her what he was doing, with our frustrations at him for keeping her in the dark. The situation with Lupin, however, must have made a big difference to him in whether or not he would carry through and tell her.

Yay for CANON!!! *cheers*

Fanfictions:My FF.net account
My deviantART: nekochan213

Last edited by nekochan; July 25th, 2007 at 7:16 pm.
Old July 25th, 2007, 7:20 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Given that DH takes Harry out of school (and therefore, away from Ginny) for most of the story, it's natural that we don't get to see a lot of her. But she still doesn't disappoint- attempting to steal the sword of Gryffindor, for a start. And I did enjoy Harry at the wedding going slightly Neanderthal "You don't touch my woman!" on Krum

Old July 25th, 2007, 7:28 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
Given that DH takes Harry out of school (and therefore, away from Ginny) for most of the story, it's natural that we don't get to see a lot of her. But she still doesn't disappoint- attempting to steal the sword of Gryffindor, for a start. And I did enjoy Harry at the wedding going slightly Neanderthal "You don't touch my woman!" on Krum

Yeah, THAT was absolutely brilliant. I bet, for a moment there, he completely understood Ron's hangups about Krum during the Yule Ball. It was a wonderful twist.

I agree with that. Her leadership position in the efforts against Voldemort at Hogwarts showed her strength of character well. Even despite Harry's pleas that she stays out of potentially dangerous situations, she still puts herself in a very risky situation in trying to steal the sword with Neville and Luna right under Snape's nose.

I think the main disappointment here is how little we actually got to see her in action ourselves in the book, but it's perfectly understandable, as you say, given that she was in Hogwarts while most of the action in the novel took place elsewhere.

Yay for CANON!!! *cheers*

Fanfictions:My FF.net account
My deviantART: nekochan213

Last edited by nekochan; July 25th, 2007 at 8:25 pm.
Old July 26th, 2007, 3:39 am
Fourth Year

I think that in this book no one really thought about what Ginny really wanted for herself. Instead, all the people around her made the decisions for her ...

First, staying behind and out of harm in Harry's quest and respecting Harry's decision to go with Ron and Hermione alone, without not even knowing what they were really up to.

Second, Ginny wanting to be close to Harry during his stay at The Burrow, particularly when she invited him to her room. Ron burst in, there goes the kiss. (I understands Ron's intentions, but it was Ginny who had to decide that, she knew that Harry was going anyway.)

Third, when Ginny arrives at the RoR with George and Fred (possibly the 2 brothers that better understand her) ...The Battle at Hogwarts was going to begin and she was practicly force to stay behind, after her mothers AND Harry's refusal.

Quote:
"I can't go home!" Ginny shouted, angry tears sparkling in her eyes. "My whole family's here, I can't stand waiting there alone and not knowing and --" Her eyes met Harry's for the first time. She looked at him beseechinly, but he shook his head and she turned away bitterly. "Fine", she said, staring at the entrance of the tunnel back to the Hog's Head. "I' say good-bye now, then, and --"
Fourth, when Harry needed the RoR to find the tiara, he said for Ginny to go out of it for just a bit ...
Quote:
"And then you can come back in!" he shouted after her as she ran up the steps after Tonks. "You've got to come back in!"
(that's actually cute )

Anyway, Ginny understood Harry completely (as he has said before) and "accepted" staying behind. I think she kind of went against the nature of her character in this book, maybe because she thought that was what was needed at that time, for Harry's and her family's peace of mind.

But the people around her failed to fully understand that staying behind wasn't that easy. (although their intentions are totally comprehendable)

I missed feisty Ginny too, but I guess it wasn't there that much because of others around her, not because of herself. I mean, look how Neville turned out! I think would've been like him if allowed too.

Sig made by the awesome cybobbie

You wish we were in your House

The ASP at Hogwarts, Hogwarts Staff Meeting and The Prince of Hogwarts (An ASP at Hogwarts prequel): All by Inkwolf

Last edited by GinnyIsGenius; July 26th, 2007 at 3:44 am.
Old July 26th, 2007, 3:42 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyIsGenius View Post

First, staying behind and out of harm in Harry's quest and respecting Harry's decision to go with Ron and Hermione alone, without not even knowing what they were really up to.
I only want to touch on this one. The thing is even if Ginny had not understood, which she did, her going along never would have worked. She was under age so she was being tracked and LV would have been able to find Harry using Ginny, which is exactly what Harry didn't want to see happen.

"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head. "Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear related humor before you, you go for holey?"

Be kind, use the Search Engine|Search Engine Tutorial
Old July 26th, 2007, 3:52 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Potter View Post
I only want to touch on this one. The thing is even if Ginny had not understood, which she did, her going along never would have worked. She was under age so she was being tracked and LV would have been able to find Harry using Ginny, which is exactly what Harry didn't want to see happen.
Yeah, I 'ear what you are saying. I was just mentioning some situations in where I thought Ginny's was kind of restraining her natural character. Also, there's the fact that she didn't even know what were they doing (nobody did), but she is Harry's Ginny.

As I said before, I understand the intentions of the people around her, but she must've had huge internal struggles that were reduce to what other people thought it was best.

Sig made by the awesome cybobbie

You wish we were in your House

The ASP at Hogwarts, Hogwarts Staff Meeting and The Prince of Hogwarts (An ASP at Hogwarts prequel): All by Inkwolf

Old July 26th, 2007, 8:01 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I would have to say I liked Ginny a lot better in this book than I did in HBP. The only part of Ginny that I didn't like is when she was upset that Cho wanted to show Harry where the Ravenclaw common room was, I thought that showed a bit of an insecurity on her part, but she is only human, and who says I wouldn't have done the same thing?

But on another topic, I don't think her magic was downplayed in this novel or anything like that. Ginny knew and accepted that she couldn't go with Harry and Ron and Hermione on their journey. And I am sure she may get the reason why now that the battle is over. And I think that JKR has already showed a lot of reasons why Ginny is a powerfull witch. She had the guts to restart the DA with Neville and Luna, and she is shown jinxing Death Eaters in the battle of Hogwarts, and taking on Bellatrix with two other people. Although I to thought there was going to be more scenes with her enaged in battle, throughout the series, I think she has proven herself as having that Weasley power that seems to be in the whole Weasley power--they are quite the powerful family.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

-Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:04 am
First Year

i still find ginny's "spiderman" relationship with harry to be one of the greatest dissapointments in the character development of the series. i hoped perhaps that after some reflection, harry might negotiate his relationship with ginny more effectively. or i should say, that *ginny* herself would assert her expectations more effectively--since one of the things that made her character at all interesting was her spunk and determination.

while i can understand how a number of people treasure the inspirational role that she provided harry through the book...i find that kind of passive characterization (ie-only having value because she is an abstract motivation for harry--notably against her own wishes) something of a betrayal to the way she had been described up until the end of HBP.

i do like the mentions of her as one of the underground leaders of the continued DA...although since both Neville and Luna are also such intriguing characters in co-starring roles, ginny sort of slides into the background there.

Old July 26th, 2007, 11:30 am
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Potter View Post
That's very true, and I think Ginny holding back like that was a sign of some maturity in her we didn't see in HBP, the maturity to see what she would've wanted to do wasn't the best thing to do. She would've been a distraction to Harry too, and not just the "oooo, pretty girl" type of distraction. He would've been worried about keeping her safe and hidden and wouldn't have been able to focus on keeping himself safe and hidden, which is what he really needed to do. Ginny accepting that and accepting the fact that she's still underage and not capable of doing what Harry, Ron and Hermione do is something she still had to grow into in HBP.

She still has that feisty character, as we see in her attempt to steal the sword, lead the DA with Neville and Luna, fight in the battle and of course wear a low-cut dress in front of Auntie Muriel , but she had to grow up enough to know when to reign that in and not get reckless.

Last edited by hermy_weasley2; July 26th, 2007 at 10:00 pm.
Old July 26th, 2007, 1:23 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
She still has that feisty character, as we see in her attempt to steal the sword, lead the DA with Neville and Luna, fight in the battle and of course wearing a low-cut dress in front of Auntie Muriel , but she had to grow up enough to know when to reign that in and not get reckless.
I agree, her mature attitude towards the whole situation showed her as a credit to her family. It is, of course, the true fairytale ending of love conquering all -from Lily's magic protecting Harry to Ginny being Harry's last thought

Old July 26th, 2007, 3:36 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

She turned out much as I expected she would, but she's no less delighful to read about for that.
I found it particularly giggle-inducing when she attempted to sneak upstairs under cover of the family's reunion with Percy and then sulked till Remus suggested that she be allowed to stay- it's something you could well expect from the girl who, ten years previously, pinched brooms from the twins to play Quidditch with

Old July 26th, 2007, 9:51 pm
Fifth Year

I liked Ginny in this book, but I was completely staggered at how tiny her role was. She was one of the few characters, where my opinion of her remained static. DH was the book, where my opinions of most major characters changed, and developed significantly, but not Ginny. I do understand though that this book, in a large sense, was our swan song to the trio; just as HBP had been our swan song to Dumbledore and indeed Snape (in a way).

'Why is every critical moment in fate or the adult or child so clearly coloured by emotion? Vygotsky
Old July 27th, 2007, 6:46 am
Hogwarts Graduate

But then Harry didn't see her between August and June...even though we do get news of her- it's hardly surprising, considering that they're away from each other for most of the story.

Old July 27th, 2007, 10:27 am
First Year

I think Ginny's always been a pretty stable and mature character. I had hoped to see more of her, but I think her role in the book fit pretty well. As has been mentioned, her feistiness and spunk definitely came through.

The only frustrating bit was when everyone insisted on her sitting out the battle of Hogwarts. Though of course she took the first opportunity to run off and join in.

As for her not joining the trio (though I'd have loved it if she had), besides being underage, she can't Apparate yet. Imagine if she got separated from the three and couldn't escape. I think she's sensible enough not to go running into situations which might end up with her being used against Harry.

Old July 27th, 2007, 6:47 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceofBoe View Post
In a way, Ginny's character journey was completed in HBP. Where Ron's journey has been about dealing with his insecurities, and Neville's about proving himself a worthy Gryffindor (journeys only completed in DH), Ginny's journey has always been about becoming a worthy partner for Harry. From the fangirl on the Platform, through the years of shyness and misery, to finding her confidence around him, growing in strength, showing Harry what she's really like, and eventually winning him in HBP. DH seemed like a coda to that, and the relationship in this book was more to do with Harry being cut off from her and worrying about her, than about Ginny's character going anywhere. I imagine that's why we didn't see a huge amount of her - JKR split them up for a reason, which was to take away Harry's main source of happiness and comfort (it's not by accident that Ginny is the last thing he thinks of as he sacrifices himself). And of course, we do see them married, standing on the Platform where they first met - that's the ultimate completion of Ginny's character journey.

It's a shame there wasn't more of her, but it worked well enough. We see her lead the attempt to get Gryffindor's Sword, which ultimately (through a long chain of events) led Harry to finding it and using it on the Horcruxes, as well as help start and lead the DA again, and hold her own in the Battle of Hogwarts (it was a nice moment when she lept into the battle, despite everyone trying to keep her out of it - that was a nice little character victory, considering she's always being told she's too young for everything). So she did have more to do than just wait around for Harry to come back, and she proved again that she's a worthy wife for him. I would have liked to have seen that "impressive magic" we were promised, though.
Well spoken.

Cheers,
Talen

Old July 27th, 2007, 7:08 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP4evr1807 View Post
The only part of Ginny that I didn't like is when she was upset that Cho wanted to show Harry where the Ravenclaw common room was, I thought that showed a bit of an insecurity on her part, but she is only human, and who says I wouldn't have done the same thing?
I actually thought that part was quite funny....much on the same lines as Harry scaring Krum off approaching her at the wedding by telling him she was seeing a big bloke who was a jealous type And she was thoroughly adorable there, that little wink at Harry during the wedding right after Muriel told him her dress was too low-cut was to die for

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies