Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Ginevra (Ginny) Weasley: Character Analysis

Old July 13th, 2007, 12:32 am
Unspeakable

Ginevra (Ginny) Weasley: Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Ginny Weasley. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Ginevra (Ginny) Weasley: character Analysis
  • What is the significance of Ginny's position in her family (seventh child, only girl born in generations,etc.?
  • In OoTP, Ginny seems to have changed from an awkward, shy character to a bolder more determined one. Does her character actually change at this point or is this part of her hidden in the earlier books because of Harry's point of view?
  • On a few occasions, Ginny reacts strongly against people who anger her, such as Ron in the stairway and Smith at the Quidditch match. Is this a strength or a flaw?
  • Does Ginny show any lasting emotional effects from her ordeal with Riddle? If so, what are they and how have they affected her role in the series?
  • How do Ginny's relationships with each of her different brothers and Harry and Hermione reflect different aspects of her personality?
  • What do you think of Ginny's leadership role in the DA in DH? Do you think she would have been a good leader?
  • What do you think Ginny went on to do after the events in DH?

Last edited by Jessica; July 23rd, 2007 at 7:49 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:13 pm
First Year

Re: Ginevra (Ginny) Weasley: Character Analysis

Well, I don't know if we really got many answers about Ginny in DH. I have to say I was pretty disappointed with her role in this book. Rowling kind of promised us we'd see how powerful Ginny is, and instead all she got to do was flirt with Harry, almost start a cat fight with Cho, and then crank out a few babies. Obviously there was a lot of stuff that absolutely had to go into the last book and so probably a lot of less-essential stuff like details on Ginny ended up being left out, but I really wish we had gotten more about her, since apparently Rowling intended her to be a really strong character.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:19 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
What do you think of Ginny's leadership role in the DA in DH? Do you think she would have been a good leader?
What do you think Ginny went on to do after the events in DH?
I thought that it was nice to see that Ginny had had a leadership role during DH, but I wanted to see that. This isn't so much an analysis of her as a character, but there just wasn't enough of her in DH to analyze. I was thinking that we were going to get to see her in somewhat of the same capacity we saw Hermione, although she obviously isn't as central as Hermione. Instead, she became just what I had thought she wasn't: Harry's girlfriend. That, and little more. We saw them snog once, and saw Harry express his concern for her safety a few times. We saw her almost die once. Although we were supposed to take for granted that she was doing really well during the final battle, we didn't see it, and that's where I think JKR fell short with her character. There just wasn't enough proof that she was everything that JKR said she'd be in some of the interviews with her pre-DH. I hoped that it would at least tell us in the epilogue that she was doing something great, but we don't know and her development in DH didn't give us enough to assume that. That made me sad.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm
Sixth Year

In a way, Ginny's character journey was completed in HBP. Where Ron's journey has been about dealing with his insecurities, and Neville's about proving himself a worthy Gryffindor (journeys only completed in DH), Ginny's journey has always been about becoming a worthy partner for Harry. From the fangirl on the Platform, through the years of shyness and misery, to finding her confidence around him, growing in strength, showing Harry what she's really like, and eventually winning him in HBP. DH seemed like a coda to that, and the relationship in this book was more to do with Harry being cut off from her and worrying about her, than about Ginny's character going anywhere. I imagine that's why we didn't see a huge amount of her - JKR split them up for a reason, which was to take away Harry's main source of happiness and comfort (it's not by accident that Ginny is the last thing he thinks of as he sacrifices himself). And of course, we do see them married, standing on the Platform where they first met - that's the ultimate completion of Ginny's character journey.

It's a shame there wasn't more of her, but it worked well enough. We see her lead the attempt to get Gryffindor's Sword, which ultimately (through a long chain of events) led Harry to finding it and using it on the Horcruxes, as well as help start and lead the DA again, and hold her own in the Battle of Hogwarts (it was a nice moment when she lept into the battle, despite everyone trying to keep her out of it - that was a nice little character victory, considering she's always being told she's too young for everything). So she did have more to do than just wait around for Harry to come back, and she proved again that she's a worthy wife for him. I would have liked to have seen that "impressive magic" we were promised, though.

Last edited by FaceofBoe; July 23rd, 2007 at 11:52 pm.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:55 pm
Second Year

I was also dissapointed with Ginny's lack of a role in DH. I would not think she would just roll over when HArry said it was to dangerous to come. I thought she would slap him to his senses and the trio, along with Ginny would search for the horcruxes. That was how I imagined my perfect DH to be.

this is baby E signing off
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:52 am
Definitely not Fourth Year (that's a bit boring)

I think Ginny's role was not really for the story as we have it, but for the future. Dumbledore's manipulation of Harry was ongoing, and the centre of the stories (though we might not have realised it at the time), but Ginny's role was all to do with the future, winning Harry's love so that in a time of peace it could be fulfilled.

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:13 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger1 View Post
I think Ginny's role was not really for the story as we have it, but for the future. Dumbledore's manipulation of Harry was ongoing, and the centre of the stories (though we might not have realised it at the time), but Ginny's role was all to do with the future, winning Harry's love so that in a time of peace it could be fulfilled.
I think that's partly it. It's clear now that JKR was building up to giving Harry a family of his own, and having him marry Ron's sister allowed him to marry into the Weasleys, and even be related to Hermione through marriage. Ginny's character was then geared around "winning" Harry, becoming his love, and was given a journey across the series.

At the end of HBP, Ginny represented that "normal life" that Harry longed for, and he longed for it more than ever in DH. That was really Ginny's purpose throughout this series, it seems - the love interest. She was always present in the main battles in OotP, HBP and DH as a means of showing that she's a good witch and a worthy partner for Harry, but it seems she was never meant to be a key part of Voldemort's downfall (even though she was a key part of Harry's journey, which is something different).

Old July 24th, 2007, 7:55 am
Third Year

I was really sad about how little we saw Ginny in action. I felt so bad for her the whole time, especially when she gave Harry his birthday present and told him without crying that she wanted to give him something he could take with him-- she accepted his idiotic refusal to not let her in on the hunt without question. I also felt really bad for her when they were fighting at Hogwarts and her mother and brother were forcing her to stay in the room by herslef while they all went out and got killed and then she looked pleadingly to Harry and he shook his head! Poor Ginny! I wanted to see something happen with the whole 7th child thing too-- JKR seemed to make that a big deal and then it didn't really go anywhere.

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:02 am
Third Year

I definately think that Ginny's growth as a character is interesting. She started out all awkward and shy because she had a crush on Harry, but soon she was grown up and dating. I thought it was cool how she was never quite in with the trio but she was comfortable enough to just plop down with them say a few things and then leave. She seemed so comfortable with herself and didn't care how people viewed her. Jo, I think, tried to make Ginny the ideal girl. Ginny is strong, intelligent and funny. She wasn't needy with Harry at all.

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:54 am
Second Year

I liked that Harry ended up with Ginny, but I was disappointed in how it happened and the lack of developement of her character. I feel like Ginny was the female equivilant of Prince Charming. A nice cardboard character but not much more.

However I think the main theme of the series was not romance, but rather family. That is what Ginny symbolized. The large family that Harry always dreamed of. She was his key in. How he could make a family with just about every one he loved in it.

Harry Potter in the end is a fairy tale. Good triumphs over evil, and the hero lives happily ever after with his princess. Perhaps that is why JKR felt she did not have to show us more then a shadow of the relationship? I'm not sure. But though it might have been nice to have more, at least Harry is happy.

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:18 pm
Inconceivable!

I was rather disappointed that Ginny didn't have a bigger role in DH. I was hoping to see some awesome magic from her.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:52 pm
Unspeakable

I was hoping to see more of her, but I wasn't disappointed in her role. She didn't insist on going with Harry, Ron and Hermione, I think, because she knew it was best for what Harry was doing, understanding him so well and all. If she had gone, he would've been disctracted by trying to protect her, and even though I didn't want her to die, it would've prevented him from doing what he really needed to do for the wizarding world and for himself personally.

She didn't just roll over either. She lead the attempt to steal the sword and became one of the new leaders of the DA. We didn't see it directly, no, but Jo put it in the middle and not just in the catch-up session in the end. She, Neville and Luna were Harry's representatives at Hogwarts, almost like the "Other Trio."

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:04 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones111 View Post
I was rather disappointed that Ginny didn't have a bigger role in DH. I was hoping to see some awesome magic from her.
I was disappointed too. As she is my favorite character I was hoping to see more of her as well. I knew that she wouldn't accompany the trio, but I was hoping that we would see her more throughout the book and then in the battle I was disappointed that we really got no view of her magical power that exceeded any one else. It would have been cool for Harry to witness her shooting a very powerful curse that took out a giant or a DE. I mean we didn't even get to see her shoot a patronous! We saw more of Luna than we did of her. Most disappointing in my book.

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:14 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceofBoe View Post
DH seemed like a coda to that, and the relationship in this book was more to do with Harry being cut off from her and worrying about her, than about Ginny's character going anywhere. I imagine that's why we didn't see a huge amount of her - JKR split them up for a reason, which was to take away Harry's main source of happiness and comfort (it's not by accident that Ginny is the last thing he thinks of as he sacrifices himself). And of course, we do see them married, standing on the Platform where they first met - that's the ultimate completion of Ginny's character journey.

It's a shame there wasn't more of her, but it worked well enough.
DH is the best in the series however, just like some HG fans, I'm disappointed that there's not enough Ginny scenes. I know that it'll always boils down to the trio's adventure, but I was hoping rebel Ginny will be given her own shining "memorable" moments like Molly's dueling scene w/ Bellatrix, or Ron destroying the locket horcrux or Neville's beheading Nagini.

I just console myself that future is bright for HG, we've read about James, Albus, Lily. Happy ending for our HG.

Another consoling moment: As you pointed out, before Harry faced death, the last thing on his mind is Ginny. And wasn't there a scene when he's going to the forest to meet Voldermort, that he wished he'll have for the last time be able to see the people he cares about. He met Neville to ask him to kill Nagini, and then saw Ginny in Hogwarts ground talking to an injured girl. His deepest wish was granted though he willed himself to move on and meet his fate. These really shows how much he cares for her.

one hand at her back and one in her long sweet-smelling hair"
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:20 am
Second Year

I wish she had gotten a little more time also, but it was also my prediction that JKR really wanted shipping out of the way for DH. I thought she wanted to give something to anchor Harry to the world of the living in his own mind. This was manifested when Harry is waiting for Voldemort to kill him and Ginny pops into his mind, the very last thing he thinks of. Harry seemed surprised by this fact. I believe that Harry was right to break things off with Ginny when he did. How DH progressed, with both Harry and Ginny accepting and resigned to the neccesity for Harry's decision, without a Ginny trying to persuade Harry from his supposed great flaw to isolate himself, proved that JKR believed Harry was doing what was right rather than what was easy also. But I think she also was trying to point out that Harry still does not quite understand how deeply his affection for Ginny goes.

I almost feel like JKR left no final exchange between the two in the book before the epilogue because she felt that it would push the narrative to far towards the romantic. I also think she thought that Harry deserved a little privacy with the person he most cared for.

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:41 am
Secret Keeper

What is the significance of Ginny's position in her family (seventh child, only girl born in generations,etc.?

I think she has unusual power, more than the other Weasleys. I don't know about the significance though, since she didn't play such a big part in the last book

In OoTP, Ginny seems to have changed from an awkward, shy character to a bolder more determined one. Does her character actually change at this point or is this part of her hidden in the earlier books because of Harry's point of view?

She never really changes, its more of her change in Harry's eyes

On a few occasions, Ginny reacts strongly against people who anger her, such as Ron in the stairway and Smith at the Quidditch match. Is this a strength or a flaw?

It is both

Does Ginny show any lasting emotional effects from her ordeal with Riddle? If so, what are they and how have they affected her role in the series?

Riddle didn't change her much, except maybe strengthened her hate for dark wizards, become more cautious with things like the diary, helped Harry figure out what being posessed was like and things like that

How do Ginny's relationships with each of her different brothers and Harry and Hermione reflect different aspects of her personality?

idk

What do you think of Ginny's leadership role in the DA in DH? Do you think she would have been a good leader?

She probably was a good leader

What do you think Ginny went on to do after the events in DH?

quidditch player, as a seeker or a chaser

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old July 25th, 2007, 1:46 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by katishere View Post
I was really sad about how little we saw Ginny in action. I felt so bad for her the whole time, especially when she gave Harry his birthday present and told him without crying that she wanted to give him something he could take with him-- she accepted his idiotic refusal to not let her in on the hunt without question. I also felt really bad for her when they were fighting at Hogwarts and her mother and brother were forcing her to stay in the room by herslef while they all went out and got killed and then she looked pleadingly to Harry and he shook his head! Poor Ginny! I wanted to see something happen with the whole 7th child thing too-- JKR seemed to make that a big deal and then it didn't really go anywhere.
I 'ear you! I 'ear you
Seriously, I agree with everything you said here.
I guess that she stayed behind for Harry and her family, which talks great about her character. She really understood Harry, even against her own desires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider62442 View Post
How DH progressed, with both Harry and Ginny accepting and resigned to the neccesity for Harry's decision, without a Ginny trying to persuade Harry from his supposed great flaw to isolate himself, proved that JKR believed Harry was doing what was right rather than what was easy also.
I think Ginny's position was also difficult and hugely reflected her understanding of Harry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider62442 View Post
I almost feel like JKR left no final exchange between the two in the book before the epilogue because she felt that it would push the narrative to far towards the romantic. I also think she thought that Harry deserved a little privacy with the person he most cared for.
I would think that myself, just to calm myself up.

Sig made by the awesome cybobbie

You wish we were in your House

The ASP at Hogwarts, Hogwarts Staff Meeting and The Prince of Hogwarts (An ASP at Hogwarts prequel): All by Inkwolf

Last edited by GinnyIsGenius; July 25th, 2007 at 1:56 am.
Old July 25th, 2007, 4:11 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by koli View Post
I definately think that Ginny's growth as a character is interesting. She started out all awkward and shy because she had a crush on Harry, but soon she was grown up and dating. I thought it was cool how she was never quite in with the trio but she was comfortable enough to just plop down with them say a few things and then leave. She seemed so comfortable with herself and didn't care how people viewed her. Jo, I think, tried to make Ginny the ideal girl. Ginny is strong, intelligent and funny. She wasn't needy with Harry at all.
I think that is a great description of the pre-DH Ginny that Harry (and so many readers, myself included) loved. However, Ginny seems to be the exact opposite in this book . When Harry tells her she can't come with him and doesn't even offer any way in which she could help, she just accepts it, even though she is just as important to him as Ron and Hermione are and she knows they are going with him. At Hogwarts, while she does try to get the sword of Gryffindor and organizes a bit of DA resistance with Luna and Neville, she does not do anything that Harry sees or that directly helps him. In the Room of Requirement at the end, Harry agreeing that she is too young to fight when almost everyone he has ever known in the past seven years is there fighting alongside him, and she is only one year younger than him, surprised me, but I was just as surprised that she didn't argue at all. She did end up sneaking out and joining the battle, but I think the sudden interruption of Percy's arrival and Harry's invitation to leave "Just for a bit." (Yeah, right!) had just as much to do with that as her own rebelliousness did. Where her toughness, cleverness, and stubbornness had been emphasized in previous books (especially HBP), in this book she is usually portrayed as fragile, not standing up for herself, and being protected at almost all times.

The other thing that disappoints me about Ginny is that we so often hear about how powerful she is, but that never materializes into anything against the Death Eaters. In OoTP, she goes into the battle with them, but is disabled quickly by a broken ankle, a very muggle-ish injury that doesn't seem as severe as the purple flame that made Harry worry that Hermione was dead, or the brains that grabbed Ron and drove him into near-insanity. In HBP, she has Felix on her side, and she admits herself that the potion is the only reason everyone's still alive, but it still sounds more like she's struggling to survive (we see her dodging Crucios as Harry runs past) than that the Order is dominating the fight or anything. And in DH, in the "Seven Potters" scene, she stays home with Mrs. Weasley while Mundungus, who is less brave, less powerful, and less willing to fight, is forced to join even though he's scared, ultimately ending up in Mad-Eye's death. She later tries to steal the sword from Snape's office, but ends up being caught and failing. In the final battle, all we see of her after she joins in is her helping a student back to the hospital wing, and barely avoiding a killing curse from Bellatrix while her and two others fail to harm their opponent in a three-on-one duel. She seems to be as important to Harry as the trio, and he admires her toughness, but she does not get a Horcrux-destroying or Death-Eater-defeating moment that we see in the entire series (unless I'm forgetting something, in which case please do remind me). I feel that she should have had at least one good chance to show her strength in front of Harry beyond just jinxing Malfoy a few times at school.

Old July 25th, 2007, 7:10 am
Fourth Year

I think that accepting Harry's decision was her biggest challenge in this book and that it deeply shows her understanding of what he needed at that time.

For me was really out of character too, but I see why she did it.

Sig made by the awesome cybobbie

You wish we were in your House

The ASP at Hogwarts, Hogwarts Staff Meeting and The Prince of Hogwarts (An ASP at Hogwarts prequel): All by Inkwolf

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:58 pm
Second Year

[*]In OoTP, Ginny seems to have changed from an awkward, shy character to a bolder more determined one. Does her character actually change at this point or is this part of her hidden in the earlier books because of Harry's point of view?
I don't think that we can know for sure whether or not it was hidden in her because of the fact that we didn't see much of her before. My guess is that she was determined before OoTP but she never really knew how to show it and embrace it. Which sucks cause i really have loved Ginny's character after OoTP.

[*]On a few occasions, Ginny reacts strongly against people who anger her, such as Ron in the stairway and Smith at the Quidditch match. Is this a strength or a flaw?
My guess is that it would be a strength. She isn't one to be walked all over. She stands up for herself and anyone/thing she believes in.

[*]How do Ginny's relationships with each of her different brothers and Harry and Hermione reflect different aspects of her personality?
It was said many times that Ginny was the only one who could deal and talk to Harry when he was in one of his "moods". I think that this reflects how she can understand and really feel what another person is going through.

[*]What do you think of Ginny's leadership role in the DA in DH? Do you think she would have been a good leader?
I think that it reminds me a lot of Harry. Ready for anything, willing to take charge of a situation. I'm not at all surprised that she helped keep the DA running even when Harry wasn't there. I think she would have been an excellent leader. She is determined and bold and not one to be under-looked.

[*]What do you think Ginny went on to do after the events in DH?
That's hard to say, she would have made so many great things; an auror, a teacher, Minister for Magic (or would it be Mistress?), even a Ministry official. I hope she became an Auror though.

In denial that JKR didn't win TIME's Person of the Year!
She did come in first in the online votes!

I'm part of the 8% of teens that rock out every day.

It's not anywhere close to being enough, but Thank You Jo!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies