Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Peter Pettigrew: Character Analysis

Old August 20th, 2007, 9:26 pm
Second Year

Re: Peter Pettigrew: Character Analysis

He probably acted brave enough when he was with the other Marauders. It was only when they entered the greater world that he realized just how vulnerable he was . Remember, his own life was threatened by Voldemort. My guess is that, like Draco, only after he joined the Death Eaters did he realize that being a Death Eater is almost as dangerous as not being one.

52% Obsessed with Harry Potter.
(take the quiz )

WOMBAT: Level 1=E, Level 2=E, Level 3=E.
PROUD GRYFFINDOR!

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:29 am
I want to believe

Would Peter have remembered that he had a life debt to Harry if Harry had not managed to remind him?
It doesn't seem like he would have, considering how he behaved towards Harry. Before reading DH I had always thought Peter would fulfill his life debt in a way in which he wouldn't realize what he was doing and would therefore die inadvertantly protecting Harry. The situation was similar in that he didn't mean to (or want to) strangle himself, but it just happened (likely due to a curse put on his silver hand).

What prevented Peter from fleeing Voldemort's side? "Loyalty" or fear?
I'm going to say fear, since I think Peter's loyalties changed to go along with whomever was in power. Even Voldemort says that Peter returned and stayed not out of loyalty but out of fear.

Voldemort "gifted" Wormtail with a silver hand. How much of an impact if any did this have on him?
He likely felt special to have been given such a fine gift, but obviously in hindsight we see that it backfired on him in a fatal way. I like the theory posed that Voldemort cursed the hand to kill Wormtail if his loyalty from Voldemort should waver, considering that he was obeying Voldemort out of fear.

Did Peter develop throughout the series? If Wormtail liked the choices he made, why did he bite Goyle on the Hogwarts Express?
Lol, perhaps he thought Goyle would threaten him as well? And perhaps in some twisted way he felt a bit of loyalty to Ron for taking him in and looking after him, even though he was technically not on Ron's side. Or maybe he didn't much like Goyle Sr. and thought to take it out on his son.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 30th, 2007, 7:07 am
Sixth Year

Did Peter develop throughout the series? If Wormtail liked the choices he made, why did he bite Goyle on the Hogwarts Express?

Goyle touched his food, it's as simple as that.

Old August 30th, 2007, 6:39 pm
Animaga terpsichore

Would Peter have remembered that he had a life debt to Harry if Harry had not managed to remind him?
No because by trying to kill Harry, it shows that he is truely on the Dark Lords side and always will be.

Fear because he didn't want Voldemort to kill him so he dedcided to stay on Voldemort's side.

Voldemort "gifted" Wormtail with a silver hand. How much of an impact if any did this have on him?
I think that with Voldemort giving Wormtail made him feel more important. Plus, Voldemort wanted to make sure Wormtail wouldn't flee the Dark Side.

No. He was always a coward and stayed one until his death. No I have no clue why he bit Goyle. That will remain a mystery.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old September 3rd, 2007, 6:54 pm
First Year

Can anyone tell me why Wormtail was sorted into Gryffindor?
Did he ever show any signs of bravery/chivalry?

I think the first questions you posted here have been well-answered - but why did he bite Goyle?

Maybe he bit him because Goyle reached for the food (as others have said above).

Old September 3rd, 2007, 9:54 pm
Fifth Year

I don't think he would have remembered. Well, he might have, I just think that JKR wanted to remind us of the life debt more than Peter.

I'm going to have to go with fear. Peter might have thought/convinced himself that it was actually loyalty, however.

I think this made him feel a lot more powerful and more grateful towards Voldemort. It might have been a main reason he stayed (aside from the fact that he was a terrified traitor).

I think Peter felt loyal to whoever could help him (or hurt him) the most at that time. I definitely think he developed because of the way he repaid Harry's life debt, but he must have had problems thinking about his life because he was always busy doing Voldemort's bidding (plus Voldemort is an accomplished Occlumens).

Whew, that was a bit too rambling, I think

Gerald M. Loeb
Old September 4th, 2007, 8:08 am
Lycanthrope

I just read in DH a scene where Harry thinks: DD understood Peter and even in him he saw a little remorse.

I have thought since POA when reading Peter's scenes that he did feel some remorse. It was interesting to note that DD did as well.

Old September 4th, 2007, 10:22 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor_Gestahl View Post

Goyle touched his food, it's as simple as that.
I think that's the perfect explanation. And I think it's clear that Peter liked staying with the Weasleys all those years because he always had enough to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrax
Before I was saying, "Okay, well we haven't seen a brave side of Peter, which means that side of him will be shown in DH." But that time never came. Do you think they sorted him too early? What do you guys think?
This is the way I look at it: Peter had bravery but it all went into protecting himself. He did what the other Marauders wanted him to, and in return, they made him feel safe. When Voldemort came along, and he thought James and Sirius couldn't protect him from the danger, he flipped to the other side.

He had bravery, but no loyalty.

As Voldemort's servant, he still showed bravery, of a strange kind. He "milked" the giant snake Nagini - took venom from the fangs - and fed the horrible Babymort. Then he cut off his own hand, which most people wouldn't be brave enough (or insane enough) to do.

After reading what Nagini did to Snape, I think Peter obviously had bravery to go near Nagini. Peter also tried to talk Voldemort out of using Harry as the source of blood for his return, which is pretty brave because Voldemort doesn't like to be criticized. To me, that's as close as Peter ever came to fulfilling the life debt, because the twitch of conscience in DH was too little too late.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old September 4th, 2007, 4:20 pm
Fifth Year

I still fail to understand why Peter was in Gryffindor,he never showed any signs of bravery,I see no reason for his sorting.

Old September 4th, 2007, 4:23 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifink2much View Post
I still fail to understand why Peter was in Gryffindor,he never showed any signs of bravery,I see no reason for his sorting.
You have to be brave to stand up against your friends. Pettigrew was brave in that sense, however you can argue this point easily by saying that his bravery was caused by fear instead of eagerness to do good (which is Harry's sort of bravery)

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:20 am
First Year

Did the author ever tell what was Pettigrew's House?

Last edited by Guilhe; September 20th, 2007 at 11:22 am. Reason: spelling
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:37 am
Sixth Year

# Would Peter have remembered that he had a life debt to Harry if Harry had not managed to remind him?
I don't think it was that Peter didn't remember - just that he chose to block it out. Perhaps through shame, or just simply that he was too weak to want to see it through.

# What prevented Peter from fleeing Voldemort's side? "Loyalty" or fear?
Fear.

# Did Peter develop throughout the series? If Wormtail liked the choices he made, why did he bite Goyle on the Hogwarts Express?
I don't think he really developed throughout the story, aside from perhaps becoming more afraid. I have no clue why he bit Goyle on the train. I don't think it was out of any particular loyalty he felt towards Ron for looking after him, or to protect Harry. Maybe he just didn't like Goyle Snr when they were at school - assuming they were at school together.

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:47 pm
Renegade

No.

Fear.

It made the pain of his amputated hand go away and, for Wormtail, that was paramount.

Biting Goyle was Wormtail's way of ingratiating himself with Harry, I think. As for character development: negative. Wormtail had no character. He was a complete scumbag by the time the story began, having caused the deaths of two of his best friends and framing a third for their murder.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old September 20th, 2007, 9:30 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilhe View Post
Did the author ever tell what was Pettigrew's House?
He was in Gryffindor. If he had been in another house it would have been very unlikely that he would have been friends with James, Sirius and Remus and be part of the Marauders.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 22nd, 2007, 9:43 am
Fifth Year

Fear pushed him toward Voldemort, at the end of Azkaban....fear of those he betrayed....and fear kept him with Voldemort..he was now with the 'biggest bully in the playground', no one could touch him.

Old October 9th, 2007, 4:24 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
He was in Gryffindor. If he had been in another house it would have been very unlikely that he would have been friends with James, Sirius and Remus and be part of the Marauders.
Thank you. Anyway I don't believe Peter was part of the Marauders for his bravery or intelligence. I think he was a Marauder because sometimes James and Sirius wanted to be boasted by someone other then themselfs and Wormtail did that job perfectly.

That's why I put the possibility of him not being a Gryffindor.

Old October 9th, 2007, 5:06 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
You have to be brave to stand up against your friends. Pettigrew was brave in that sense, however you can argue this point easily by saying that his bravery was caused by fear instead of eagerness to do good (which is Harry's sort of bravery)
But what Pettigrew had done by then was transfer his 'friendship' to Voldemort and the DEs. When he was a Marauder he never stood up to the others - there was no reason to. They were providing him with 'protection' after all. Once Voldemort - who was the biggest bully of them all, to put it very mildly - showed that he would either kill or protect Pettigrew depending on what choice the latter made, he chose to be one of the DE gang. There's no bravery whatsoever in the betrayal of his old schoolfriends because Pettigrew decided it would be far more dangerous to stand with them. Throughout what we see of his life, he always chooses what he perceives to be the tough guys' side.

I find it very difficult to see why Peter Pettigrew was sorted into Gryffindor. The only thing I can think of is that he chose it personally and the Sorting Hat responded to that. But if anyone could be placed this way, without any thought as to what their needs or qualities are, the whole Sorting process is somewhat diminished for me.

Old October 9th, 2007, 5:24 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graduand_Esk View Post
I find it very difficult to see why Peter Pettigrew was sorted into Gryffindor. The only thing I can think of is that he chose it personally and the Sorting Hat responded to that. But if anyone could be placed this way, without any thought as to what their needs or qualities are, the whole Sorting process is somewhat diminished for me.
Well, if you think about it, he doesn't seem to fit in any House. Not brave enough for a Gryffidor. Not proud or independent enough for Slytherin. Not intelligent enough for Ravenclaw. Not loyal enough for Hufflepuff.

Old October 9th, 2007, 5:44 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilhe View Post
Well, if you think about it, he doesn't seem to fit in any House. Not brave enough for a Gryffidor. Not proud or independent enough for Slytherin. Not intelligent enough for Ravenclaw. Not loyal enough for Hufflepuff.
This is very true - he doesn't, does he? Maybe they should have had that house that Harry imagined just before his own Sorting; the 'house for people who felt a bit queasy'. Peter would have done all right there!
Sorry - on a serious note now, maybe given the lack of any of the main valued qualities of the four houses, Pettigrew should have gone to the place which would 'take them all, and teach them just the same' (Helga Hufflepuff's words, according to the Sorting Hat.) The philosophy seems to have become a bit muted by Harry's time, but obviously Hufflepuff originally wanted to move away from being overly selective in who should be taught magic. I like her for that.

I suppose Pettigrew had the potential for bravery in the same way that most people do, but never developed it. His sorting into Gryffindor still bothers me though, since we don't only see a lack of courage from him throughout most of his time in the books, but the exact opposite of courage: cowardice.

Old October 9th, 2007, 9:46 pm
Third Year

Dumbledore, in one book, I'm not sure which one, said that when one wizard saves another's life, a certain magical contract is created between the two wizard.

And I agree that Pettigrew, I'm sure, had the potential to be brave. I do not see, however, how he ever really showed his courage. He was really just a coward through the books. I don't see how he ended up being friends with the Marauders either. Although, they might have allowed him to stick around because they felt sorry for him. James and Sirius did have a heart--Lupin mentions in, I think HBP, possibly OotP, that he had no friends when he went to Hogwarts, so James and Sirius befriended him.

~~Proud Owner of J.K.Rowling's Autograph~~

Fanfiction.net: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 2 Avatar fics posted)
Fictionpress.com: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 1 General fic posted)

Last edited by IntricateLogic; October 9th, 2007 at 9:49 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies