Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Old December 31st, 2007, 3:01 am
First Year

Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Bellatrix was one of the most evil characters in the story. She seems to thrive in other people's misery. There are many examples of this.
"He heard another woman laughing nearby, and knew that Bellatrix gloried in McGonagall's despair" (DH, 730 american edition)
"'What will happen to your children when I've killed you?' taunted Bellatrix, as mad as her master, capering as Molly's curses danced around her. "When Mummy's gone the same way as Freddie?'" (DH, 736)
"'Longbottom?' repeated Bellatrix, and a truly evil smile lit her gaunt face. 'Why, I have had the pleasure of meeting your parents, boy...'" (OOTP, 800, american edition)

Seeing other people in pain seems to give her some perverse pleasure. I feel like she's similar to Voldemort in that neither of them feel compassion, she's just different in the fact that she loves him, which demonstrates that she understands the power of love at least to a small degree. I think she is a sick and twisted woman.

Old January 14th, 2008, 4:00 am
Second Year

She is real evil only for pleasure and loveż? for Voldemort. But my she doesn´t have any kids? and how was her realtionship with Rodolphus?

Old January 14th, 2008, 7:55 am
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Bellatrix Lestrange. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort? What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters? Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?

2. What do you suppose leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape so, as seen in the HBP chapter 'Spinner's End'? Does this cast any doubts upon her complete trust in Voldemort? Does it speak of any prior relationship with Snape?

3. What kind of relationship do you think that Bellatrix had with her cousin, Sirius, for her to so easily battle against, and ultimately have a hand in killing him?

4. Bellatrix is said to have been at school and joined forces with several other Death Eaters prior to Harry's parents being at Hogwarts. What factors do you see as contributing to the turning of Bellatrix and her peers to Voldemort, and how could they have gotten away with this in the middle of Hogwarts?

5. Bellatrix seems to have a fondness for the Cruciatus curse. What do you think that this says about her personality and history?

6. What do you think of her hatred of Tonks for marrying a werewolf?

7. Do you think Belltrix could have been redeemed?
1. She was in love with Voldemort and she was his most fanatical supporter, because of that IMO. There was no limit to where she would not go, because she was madly and paasionately in love with him (surprisingly even after his rebirth; so that may be true love LOL)

2. I think she does not trust Snape, because Dumbledore vouched for him and he was after Voldemort's disappearance not in Azkaban with the rest. She also is not very favourable with Lucius. We see her blaming him to Snape. I think she tolerates Lucius only because of Narcissa, whom she appears to care for genuinely.

3. Nothing except contempt IMO. Sirius walked over to the Light. He became the enemy since then IMO.

4. She seems to have truly admired Voldmeort; the only one to join him for his sake unlike others who joined him for attainment of certain things like power, doing away of the muggleborns etc. She would have spoken all good??? things about him to her peers and tried to woo them I think.

5. She seems to lov watching her victims suffer. She would have made an adequate Queen for King Voldemort IMO. *rolls eyes*

6. I think she hated a Black, how much ever she was a half blood, marrying a creature, for that was what Remus would have been to her, was despicable. She would have wanted to kilkl both in a horrible manner IMO.

7. Everyone can. Only greater the crime, IMO greater must be the remorse. Like Voldemort, the pain of her remorse, would have destroyed her mind IMO.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:00 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I found it interesting that Andromeda looked so much like Bella while Narcissa looked quite different. The 3 sisters turned out very different in personality though - Bella proud, sadistic, passionate, evil; Andromeda kind and open-minded; Narcissa proud, cold, haughty, caring towards her husband and son. The same parents brought them all up, which is something of a score for nature over nurture. Was Bella just born evil and twisted?

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:03 am
First Year

1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort? What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters? Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?
I think Bella did have some romantic feelings towards old Voldy. She felt such a passion to follow him and do his every whim that I think some how bettween his fall and his second rise she had conjured feelings for her master. I think she devoted her life to his servous because she felt so strongly as a prue blood to live up to that status of her family name and her blood status. She also felt it her 'duty' to the wizarding world to pruge it of mudbloods and muggles.

2. What do you suppose leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape so, as seen in the HBP chapter 'Spinner's End'? Does this cast any doubts upon her complete trust in Voldemort? Does it speak of any prior relationship with Snape? She thinks that Snape's loyaties to the dark lord is wavering in HBP. From all his past events and being so close to Harry Potter she thinks that Snape isn't really, 100% for Voldemort but wavering in his loyals to the death eatters and to thier master. I don't think this would have made a diffrence to what she thought of Moldy Voldy. Bella is only on professinal levels with Snape as we see in OotP and further books.

3. What kind of relationship do you think that Bellatrix had with her cousin, Sirius, for her to so easily battle against, and ultimately have a hand in killing him?
I think that those two had a hate relationship because Sirius went to Griffendor, was a friend to a Mudblood (Lily) he didn't stay true to the Black family name all though he never was married. Sirius didn't like Bella because well she was all that he went against, blood hating, picking out who was worthy of wizarding schooling ect. Killing Sirius was a thrill for Bella.

4. Bellatrix is said to have been at school and joined forces with several other Death Eaters prior to Harry's parents being at Hogwarts. What factors do you see as contributing to the turning of Bellatrix and her peers to Voldemort, and how could they have gotten away with this in the middle of Hogwarts?
Bella knew as a prue blood and a fellow Slytheren that her duty was to the dark lord and to her fellow school mates to join forces with him. How she got away with this on school grounds no one really for certen sure.

5. Bellatrix seems to have a fondness for the Cruciatus curse. What do you think that this says about her personality and history?
It says that she wasn't afraid of torturing to her gain and pleasure. To her charater also it would mean she is dangrous more than other death eatters. She also found no remorse in her actions as well.

6. What do you think of her hatred of Tonks for marrying a werewolf?
Normal, she hated the fact that her family line was dabbed with her sister as a blood traitor and now her niece married a werewolf. She wanted to get rid of such disgrace.
7. Do you think Belltrix could have been redeemed?
No, I don't think so. That and I doubt she wanted to be redeemed over to the good side. I think Bella would have wanted to face Azkaban again then feel remorse for her actions.

"Are you really as stupid as you look?" Harry from Deathly Hollows

Please send me an owl, I love meeting people and talking
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:47 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufflepina View Post
She is real evil only for pleasure and loveż? for Voldemort. But my she doesn´t have any kids? and how was her realtionship with Rodolphus?
She only married Rodolphis because she was expected to take a respectable pureblood husband. Her heart belonged to Voldemort. I'm pretty sure she didn't have any kids with Rodolphus. I think the only kids she would want is would be Voldemort's.

Old January 16th, 2008, 12:57 am
Defender of Dogs

I think it was because she devoted herself so much to the idea of pureblood, and Voldemort was the main one fighting for it, so she devoted herself to him. As to why she was into purebloods, it was just the way her family was, not at all helped by the fact that many people in there were blood traitors, including her own sister. I think it was that which led her to be such a feared DE, and we saw it in DH. She worked really, really, hard to try and kill and the traitors from her family, and raise her status with Voldemort. I don't think she felt really romantic for him, like Harry and Ginny, but she just wanted him to be close to her and praise her.

Old January 16th, 2008, 5:51 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I just had a thought. What wand was Bellatrix using in the battle of Hogwarts? Did Hermione lose the real one in Gringotts? Or was she using it herself in the BoH? Bella couldn't get a new wand from Ollivander or Gregorovich and she couldn't be using Cissy's as Draco had it. So where did she get it from?

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:55 am
First Year

I never liked Bella. However, I’d like to tell something that struck me about her character.

I think Bella truly possessed a heart of a warrior. Even her name suggests that. It is said that a true warrior never gives up the battle, even when the blade of a sword has pierced him/her. Almost all the other wizards and witches became essentially powerless when disarmed. But Bella killed her enemy even without a wand (when she threw her knife at Harry & Co.) Fortunately (for Harry) the knife only hit Dobby.

I think that although she despised Muggle methods, she must have trained herself how to use knives, swords etc.

Another thing is, she always fought fair. Everybody she killed (Sirius, Tonks) were slain in fair fight. She didn’t use mean tricks like employing snakes to kill opponents (like Voldy killing Snape).

I don’t think she feared anybody except Voldy. She was ready to fight with three people alone if necessary. In the Ministry fiasco, she vanquished 2 Aurors easily.

She was slain due to lack of concentration in the final battle. This was very similar to Sirius’ death. With both DD and Snape dead, I don’t think anybody among the good guys was competent to vanquish Bella in a fair fight. She should have concentrated in killing Molly rather than laughing at her.

When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. This is the first and cardinal rule of combat. Suppress all human emotion and compassion; kill whoever stands in thy way. This truth lies at the heart of the art of combat. Once it is mastered, thou shall fear no one, though the devil himself may bar thy way. (Doctrine of the Ura Yagyu)

Old January 17th, 2008, 3:49 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I just had a thought. What wand was Bellatrix using in the battle of Hogwarts? Did Hermione lose the real one in Gringotts? Or was she using it herself in the BoH? Bella couldn't get a new wand from Ollivander or Gregorovich and she couldn't be using Cissy's as Draco had it. So where did she get it from?
You know, this is a fine point . Maybe one of the many wizards she disarmed at the Malfoy Manor in one of her fits of rage ended up "donating" a wand.

However, not to discount Molly, but it could explain a bit more (along with yasas' explanation about lack of concentration) how Molly bested her. Combine Molly's emotional rage, lack of concentration, and a slightly subpart (for her) wand = defeated Bella.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old January 17th, 2008, 1:37 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasas View Post
I think Bella truly possessed a heart of a warrior. Even her name suggests that. It is said that a true warrior never gives up the battle, even when the blade of a sword has pierced him/her. Almost all the other wizards and witches became essentially powerless when disarmed.
I never knew what the name Bellatrix meant, but you're right, it does mean "female warrior" in Latin. I agree that Bellatrix was indeed a female warrior, since we've seen her in battle for the Death Eaters so often. And I agree she's a good fighter - she's certainly overcome many enemies (which is unfortunate for the Order). Part of the reason she's so good is that she is a bit insane and unstable, which I think causes her to take some risks that a normal person might not. And she's so full of angry passion and hatred that she goes above and beyond to knock out her opponents. She's altogether scary. I'm so glad though that Molly was able to overcome her. Finally she'd met her match in fierceness - no one is more passionate when their child is in danger than Molly!

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old January 17th, 2008, 4:23 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I think Bella was using her own wand, but a new wand either specially crafted for her or one she bought best suited to her needs.

The death eaters were ruling the WW at the time and I think Bella would not find it difficult to get another wand.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Old January 17th, 2008, 7:24 pm
Lycanthrope

I would have to go with RemusLupinFan on this one. I didn't think of Bella as being an especially great warrior, but more unstable and nuts, willing to take risks and generally on the offensive. A great warrior would not have fallen to Molly, imo, no matter how spurred on by anger Molly was. I mean all of the DEs and many of the good guys were great and experienced duelers, but I didn't see her as a cut above the rest of the good ones. In reality, Voldemort, Dumbledore and Harry (by virtue of being the chosen one) were the only three who had a clear advantage in any duel, imo. That of course does not count some of the old time warriors we heard about, who fought off page.

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; January 17th, 2008 at 9:17 pm.
Old January 17th, 2008, 7:40 pm
First Year

I think by DH she is mad with love for her master and fear for her life when Harry, Ron and Herminoe get to the Mannor.

"Are you really as stupid as you look?" Harry from Deathly Hollows

Please send me an owl, I love meeting people and talking
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:47 pm
Third Year

I was interested by JK Rowling's comments that there was a sexual attraction on bellatrix part towards voldemort. She said that some people could probably have spotted it and I must admit it seemed quite obvious at points: one point being that she's never with her hubby in the books! But also the fact that she talks to and about voldemort with utter reverence, infatuation even. So I always wondered about that attraction.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 5:04 am
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilSquib86 View Post
I was interested by JK Rowling's comments that there was a sexual attraction on bellatrix part towards voldemort. She said that some people could probably have spotted it and I must admit it seemed quite obvious at points: one point being that she's never with her hubby in the books! But also the fact that she talks to and about voldemort with utter reverence, infatuation even. So I always wondered about that attraction.
I never noticed it.

I thought she was plain crazy all the time.

She is of those truly vicious persons who take pleasure in seeing the sufferings of others; like Dumbledore says, she wpuld play with her toys, before she breaks them. How awful really. Is she worse than Voldemort or is she better?

Voldemort had an agenda of killing muggles, muggleborns and all that. Bella seems to have no agenda except to serve Voldemort and kill for him. An assassin who truly loves her job, perhaps?

Old January 22nd, 2008, 5:19 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilSquib86 View Post

You do bring up a good point. Where is her husband most of the time? He did escape from Azkaban with her, right? So why is he never in the action? Is he sulking in a corner cause his wife likes Voldemort more than him?

Old January 22nd, 2008, 8:43 am
MODLY CREW

In the light of where this discussion is going right now, I'd like to give you a heads-up to keep this family friendly.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 3:06 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Will do, Moriath!

If Bella had feelings for Voldemort (and we agree that she did) they seem to have been pretty one-way. He sees her as his "best lieutenant" and shrugs her off when she offers him help in the Forest. Yet she keeps making adoring eyes at him - she doesn't seem to need a relationship - she's happy just worshipping him, IMO. As for her husband (who I think got injured in the chase after the 7 Harrys) I think it must have been a marriage of convenience and he didn't mind what she did or felt. Do you think anyone could love Bella?

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old January 23rd, 2008, 5:29 pm
Third Year

I love bellatrix! So powerful, demanding and forthright! Very desirable qualities in a woman.

As for her and voldemort, I don't think, that Voldemort would ever have feelings for anyone. He only looks after No.1, and gives no time or emotion for anybody. If he did, then he probably wouldnt be what voldemort is.

I think bellatrix was just purely infatuated with him. Probably liked the idea of being so close to power, and she herself wanted a great deal of power. Just the way I see it anyway.