Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old November 23rd, 2007, 9:43 pm
purplehawk's Avatar
purplehawk  Female.gif purplehawk is offline
Renegade
 
Joined: 5596 days
Location: Buckeye Country
Age: 69
Posts: 28,639
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
As far as Bellatrix loving...I think she at least thought that she loved Voldemort. He seemed to fill some kind of emotional need for her, which lead to such an obsession that she was willing to do anything to serve him. Other Death Eaters may have wanted the prestige attached to being high up with Voldemort, or they may have truly believed in the ideals of pure blood supremacy. But Bellatrix's loyalties seemed to be centered around Voldemort himself.
I agree... but where does Rodolphus fit into the equation? I've never really understood their relationship.


__________________



"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"


All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #62  
Old November 23rd, 2007, 9:47 pm
alwaysme's Avatar
alwaysme  Female.gif alwaysme is offline
Queen of Apathy
 
Joined: 4570 days
Posts: 3,325
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I agree... but where does Rodolphus fit into the equation? I've never really understood their relationship.
I have always been a bit confused by their relationship too. I assume it was an arranged marriage of sorts or she just didn't really love him. *shrugs*


Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old November 23rd, 2007, 9:53 pm
Rell's Avatar
Rell  Undisclosed.gif Rell is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4800 days
Location: intruder window
Posts: 2,919
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I agree... but where does Rodolphus fit into the equation? I've never really understood their relationship.
I don't think we know when exactly she married Rudolphus (i.e. before or after she was an active Death Eater), but I think she was sort of pressured into marrying him. Bellatrix seems the type who desperately wants to do the what's expected of her to please authority...and if her parents wanted her to marry a pure blood from a respected family and they wanted Rudolphus to be that person, it probably wouldn't have taken too much pressure to get Bellatrix to agree.


__________________
* * *
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:45 pm
SusanBones's Avatar
SusanBones  Female.gif SusanBones is offline
Inconceivable!
 
Joined: 5102 days
Location: in a galaxy far, far away
Posts: 4,090
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

I always pictured Rodolphus as one of those underdog type husbands. Bellatrix is a very strong woman. I would think that he would be afraid to disagree with her. She may have married him because she was encouraged to do so. Or she may just have thought she loved him. He was with her when they tortured the Longbottoms into insanity. But her interest in Voldemort seems to go beyond what a married woman should have for a man who is not her husband.

I think there are some differences between the Bellatrix form of evil and the Voldemort form of evil. Bellatrix knows she is hurting people. She is very sadistic, in my opinion. Dumbledore said that Bellatrix likes to play with her food before eating it, which is a gruesome picture to me. She likes to hurt people. Voldemort seems to kill people because they are in his way. He seems callous and uncaring about the people he kills. The difference is in the enjoyment over the killing, which Bellatrix seems to show to a greater extent than Voldemort does, in my opinion.


__________________


avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Last edited by SusanBones; November 24th, 2007 at 1:27 am.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:08 pm
purplehawk's Avatar
purplehawk  Female.gif purplehawk is offline
Renegade
 
Joined: 5596 days
Location: Buckeye Country
Age: 69
Posts: 28,639
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Voldemort thought of himself as "most important and precious" after he discovered that Hufflepuff's cup was missing. I think it's fair to assume that Bella shared his opinion of himself. Bella seems to share his utter disregard for human life and the rights of others. Both have an extremely twisted view of life and their role in it. I honestly can't tell which of them is worst.


__________________



"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"


All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old November 24th, 2007, 7:20 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4720 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

In the Bloomsbury chat, JKR said that Bella married Rudolphus because it was expected of her as a pureblood witch, but that her true love had always been Voldemort. I suppose he won her heart during the first war; if I recall correctly, he was very good looking with a winning personality. I imagine she fell deeply in love and when he returned in his new snake like form, his looks were of no importance to her as he was the same man in every other way - well characterwise anyway.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old November 24th, 2007, 7:35 pm
purplehawk's Avatar
purplehawk  Female.gif purplehawk is offline
Renegade
 
Joined: 5596 days
Location: Buckeye Country
Age: 69
Posts: 28,639
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
In the Bloomsbury chat, JKR said that Bella married Rudolphus because it was expected of her as a pureblood witch, but that her true love had always been Voldemort. I suppose he won her heart during the first war; if I recall correctly, he was very good looking with a winning personality. I imagine she fell deeply in love and when he returned in his new snake like form, his looks were of no importance to her as he was the same man in every other way - well characterwise anyway.
Oh, yuckabilly!


__________________



"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"


All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old November 25th, 2007, 1:12 am
Rell's Avatar
Rell  Undisclosed.gif Rell is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4800 days
Location: intruder window
Posts: 2,919
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones111 View Post
The difference is in the enjoyment over the killing, which Bellatrix seems to show to a greater extent than Voldemort does, in my opinion.
Voldemort is very calculated in his murders. When we see into his thoughts in Godric's Hollow, he contemplates killing a child, yet he doesn't because it would be wasteful. Bellatrix wouldn't have cared about that.


__________________
* * *
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old November 27th, 2007, 3:47 am
CoeurDeLyon's Avatar
CoeurDeLyon  Female.gif CoeurDeLyon is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4349 days
Location: Currently in my head
Age: 32
Posts: 380
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones111 View Post
I always pictured Rodolphus as one of those underdog type husbands. Bellatrix is a very strong woman. I would think that he would be afraid to disagree with her. She may have married him because she was encouraged to do so. Or she may just have thought she loved him. He was with her when they tortured the Longbottoms into insanity. But her interest in Voldemort seems to go beyond what a married woman should have for a man who is not her husband.

I think there are some differences between the Bellatrix form of evil and the Voldemort form of evil. Bellatrix knows she is hurting people. She is very sadistic, in my opinion. Dumbledore said that Bellatrix likes to play with her food before eating it, which is a gruesome picture to me. She likes to hurt people. Voldemort seems to kill people because they are in his way. He seems callous and uncaring about the people he kills. The difference is in the enjoyment over the killing, which Bellatrix seems to show to a greater extent than Voldemort does, in my opinion.

Yes I agree here. Bellatrix loves to hurt people. She enjoys it, she relishes every second of it.

But I do have a question about her. I agree that she would have married a pureblood and she was probably encouraged to marry at all, but the purpose of marriage for a pureblood to me, is to create pureblood children. To keep them from dying out. I dont think she would have created a child because she deeply wanted one, but because she too didnt want the bloodline to die out. So where is her child? I would love the idea of her daughter or son to be the next villian in HP world.


__________________


****************************************
Im baaack =]

"I am not afraid, I was born to do this"-Joan of Arc
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old November 27th, 2007, 3:51 am
Chris's Avatar
Chris  Undisclosed.gif Chris is offline
Custodian of Hades Vault
 
Joined: 4320 days
Location: Monoc Securities
Posts: 4,653
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

She may have been in prison for too long - Sirius was also in prison for a similar length of time and he, too, was childless. Perhaps she married very close to when she entered Azkaban?

JK may have also had her own reasons for not including a child, which I can only guess at. But that's off-topic .


__________________
RLF_Icons (signature)

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator


Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old November 27th, 2007, 4:15 am
CoeurDeLyon's Avatar
CoeurDeLyon  Female.gif CoeurDeLyon is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4349 days
Location: Currently in my head
Age: 32
Posts: 380
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Maybe...chparadise.
Maybe its as simple as that...she just didnt have the time to concieve.

I was slightly dissapointed in her death. Bellatrix was a very strong woman, and driven beyond belief. I would have liked her death to be a little more tragic, more violent. She deserved to die something awful, like a rock crushing her skull as she shouts for Voldemort to save her. LOL.


__________________


****************************************
Im baaack =]

"I am not afraid, I was born to do this"-Joan of Arc
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old November 27th, 2007, 4:22 am
Rell's Avatar
Rell  Undisclosed.gif Rell is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4800 days
Location: intruder window
Posts: 2,919
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

I think that had Voldemort not existed, Bellatrix would have had children if that was what was expected of her. But as Voldemort was in the picture, I think being pregnant, and having to care for children, would have slowed Bellatrix down too much for her liking.


__________________
* * *
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old December 1st, 2007, 7:51 am
horcrux4's Avatar
horcrux4  Female.gif horcrux4 is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4744 days
Location: Sheffield UK
Age: 73
Posts: 2,167
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

I'd always assumed that the purebloods were so inbred that they would have had trouble conceiving. Narcissa only had the one child and you'd have thought they'd have wanted to up the numbers of purebloods. So perhaps Bella was sterile?

I have trouble with the time-frames concerning Bella. She is the oldest of the sisters but we don't know how much older. Presumably somewhere around Lucius' age? I which case, when Voldy came to power and she became a DE he would already have become snake-looking - I don't think she was old enough to have seen anything of the handsome Tom Riddle. His looks evidently didn't worry her, so I expect he had a certain glamour or charisma in a dark and horrible way, which attracted her to him. If she loved evil then she'd likely love the epitome of it.

But I do find her servile adoration of him rather sickly!


__________________
Meet Mickey, my new kitten!
Quote:
"From this time forth we shall be leaving the firm foundation of fact and journeying together through the murky marshes of memory into thickets of wildest guesswork."
Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old December 4th, 2007, 5:52 am
jewelledhunter  Female.gif jewelledhunter is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4112 days
Posts: 13
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Bellatrix is a very interesting character, the way she adores Lord Voldemort. All the little hints Rowling drops...you would think there was more, but we know Voldemort doesn't love.

I think Bellatrix is sort of like those people who love their crushes so much that they would do anything to be near them. It's really an obsessional love.

I love how Bellatrix's wand is "...12 and 3/4 inches, unyielding. (DH 24)" Just like her personality.


__________________
"We are part of you," said Sirius. "Invisible to anyone else."

Harry looked at his mother.

"Stay close to me," he said quietly.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old December 4th, 2007, 6:02 am
Rell's Avatar
Rell  Undisclosed.gif Rell is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4800 days
Location: intruder window
Posts: 2,919
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelledhunter View Post
I love how Bellatrix's wand is "...12 and 3/4 inches, unyielding. (DH 24)" Just like her personality.
ooh, good catch. I don't think anything would have caused Bellatrix to change her loyalties.


__________________
* * *
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old December 25th, 2007, 5:16 am
Beatifically's Avatar
Beatifically  Female.gif Beatifically is offline
Elvendork
 
Joined: 4201 days
Location: Central Perk
Age: 26
Posts: 2,183
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
I think there are some differences between the Bellatrix form of evil and the Voldemort form of evil. Bellatrix knows she is hurting people. She is very sadistic, in my opinion. Dumbledore said that Bellatrix likes to play with her food before eating it, which is a gruesome picture to me. She likes to hurt people. Voldemort seems to kill people because they are in his way. He seems callous and uncaring about the people he kills. The difference is in the enjoyment over the killing, which Bellatrix seems to show to a greater extent than Voldemort does, in my opinion.
This is a really great point! (And this is a really late reply. ) The difference between Bellatrix's form of evil, as you said, is more sadistic than anything. She gets pleasure seeing other people suffer. Voldemort isn't really sadistic, he's just apathetic. When he kills someone, he does it quickly and doesn't feel any emotion. Bellatrix, on the other hand, plays with her food before she eats it. IMO, Bellatrix would enjoy seeing someone suffer a slow and painful death, whereas Voldemort would want to kill the person as quickly as possible.


__________________

CoS and Pottermore sorted
You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

- Aristotle

Specialises in awesome picspams.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old December 31st, 2007, 2:06 am
FurryDice's Avatar
FurryDice  Female.gif FurryDice is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3978 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 34
Posts: 2,591
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatifically View Post
This is a really great point! (And this is a really late reply. ) The difference between Bellatrix's form of evil, as you said, is more sadistic than anything. She gets pleasure seeing other people suffer. Voldemort isn't really sadistic, he's just apathetic. When he kills someone, he does it quickly and doesn't feel any emotion. Bellatrix, on the other hand, plays with her food before she eats it. IMO, Bellatrix would enjoy seeing someone suffer a slow and painful death, whereas Voldemort would want to kill the person as quickly as possible.
Yeah, Bella enjoys killing and torture, not necessarily in that order, for her they are an end in themself, whereas for Voldemort, they are a means to an end.
She strikes me as a fierce, remorseless character, who enjoys seeing other suffer.
Her obsession with Voldemort is interesting, entirely twisted, really comes across strongly in the Order of the Phoenix movie and in Deathly Hallows when they are together. Can't help wondering what Rabastan/Rodolphus (can't remember which one) made of it though.
Something that really struck me about Bellatrix in Spinners' End was her assertion that if she had sons, she would be glad to give them to Voldemort, so Narcissa should be proud of Draco's serving Voldemort, no matter the cost. Somehow, it reminded me instantly of Lady MacBeth's insistence that she would kill her own infant if she had sworn to do so.


Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old December 31st, 2007, 2:20 am
WendyPotter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Yeah, Bella enjoys killing and torture, not necessarily in that order, for her they are an end in themself, whereas for Voldemort, they are a means to an end.
She strikes me as a fierce, remorseless character, who enjoys seeing other suffer.
Her obsession with Voldemort is interesting, entirely twisted, really comes across strongly in the Order of the Phoenix movie and in Deathly Hallows when they are together. Can't help wondering what Rabastan/Rodolphus (can't remember which one) made of it though.
Something that really struck me about Bellatrix in Spinners' End was her assertion that if she had sons, she would be glad to give them to Voldemort, so Narcissa should be proud of Draco's serving Voldemort, no matter the cost. Somehow, it reminded me instantly of Lady MacBeth's insistence that she would kill her own infant if she had sworn to do so.
*shudders* That woman siriusly creeped me out. I think she was Voldemort's secret lover or something of the sort. Or at least she wanted to be. Completely demented, if you ask me...

~WendyPotter


Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old December 31st, 2007, 2:42 am
Montse's Avatar
Montse  Female.gif Montse is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4844 days
Location: between wizards and jedi
Age: 42
Posts: 2,176
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

I think Bella is one of J.K.s best characters.She is the personification of evil,itself,only for the pleasure of it.Voldy had had a tough childhood,one could excuse him in a sense for being bad,but Bella,i can see her as a spoiled child,very like Dudley,and when grown found LV who offered her all sor t of eviltasks that would satisfy her evil desires and inclinations...The think with Bella is that she is a very real character,in our muggle world,so many people are bad for the sake of bieng bad,no one has ever hurt them and still they are bad.

I was thinking...maybe she did have a hard childhood,maybe her mother went gaga over cissy for beign pretty and never gave Bella the same affection...they are described as very different...this might have given her a reson for being so bad...


__________________

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old December 31st, 2007, 2:52 am
mariebeth83's Avatar
mariebeth83  Female.gif mariebeth83 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4102 days
Location: The place where I'm happiest..
Age: 35
Posts: 901
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

I always found Bella the most interesting of the 'bad guys'. In terms of evilness, hers is, in my humble opinion, the most pure, because she seemed to thoroughly enjoy it and find emense pleasure in it. I'm not saying that anyone else did, but besides Voldemort (who I don't think ever had a real human emotion out of anything), she always came across to me as the one person who didn't have a conscience, the one person who would go all the way without even once stopping, even for a second, to think maybe she shouldn't. TBH, as a character I really liked her, purely for her lack of control and inability to be held down by anyone.


__________________

Because of Edward Cullen...I'm staying single until I find a vampire
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks

Tags
bellatrix lestrange, character analysis


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 4:34 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.