Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Old September 1st, 2007, 10:51 pm
MODLY CREW

Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

ATTENTION PLEASE

I'd like to direct your attention to:

REVISED: Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray

Please read it carefully and post accordingly!

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:05 am
I want to believe

b]1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort? What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters? Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?[/b]
Bellatrix seems a bit unstable if you ask me - a bit psychotic like Voldemort. I think she must have just had a very strong belief in Voldemort's ideals, and then later became obsessed with them and with Voldemort. I'm sure her family growing up must have taught her many of those ideals, so that must have influenced her worldview. As for romance with Voldemort, it's possible, but I think it more likely that she was just obsessed with him.

2. What do you suppose leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape so, as seen in the HBP chapter 'Spinner's End'? Does this cast any doubts upon her complete trust in Voldemort? Does it speak of any prior relationship with Snape?
Perhaps it could have to do, in part, with her knowledge of occlumency. Maybe she was getting some vibes from Snape when his guard was lowered. Or perhaps she wanted a reason to doubt him because she was jealous of his apparent high position within Death Eater ranks. I don't think she had any prior relationship to Snape other than being a fellow Death Eater with him.

3. What kind of relationship do you think that Bellatrix had with her cousin, Sirius, for her to so easily battle against, and ultimately have a hand in killing him?
Sirius was the 'black sheep' of the family, if you will. I can imagine that they two of them fought constantly and didn't ever get along. This likely fostered a lot of hatred between the two of them, which could explain their duel in the DoM.

4. Bellatrix is said to have been at school and joined forces with several other Death Eaters prior to Harry's parents being at Hogwarts. What factors do you see as contributing to the turning of Bellatrix and her peers to Voldemort, and how could they have gotten away with this in the middle of Hogwarts?
The need for power and attention and the need to belong to an influential organization is likely what drew people to Voldemort's following. As for how they got away with it at school - I'm guessing they kept it as discreet as they could, not performing any dark magic in the corridors. Dumbledore likely suspected something, but there may not have been anything he could do since he wasn't the Headmaster at that point and because he likely only had suspicions and hunches rather than hard proof.

5. Bellatrix seems to have a fondness for the Cruciatus curse. What do you think that this says about her personality and history?
I think it demonstrates that she's a violent and often sadistic person. She has a liking for causing pain and suffering.

6. What do you think of her hatred of Tonks for marrying a werewolf?
Typical of an intolerant Death Eater. She likely sees werewolves as subhuman. And I think she might have been jealous of Tonks' happiness with Remus.

7. Do you think Belltrix could have been redeemed?
I'm leaning towards 'no' on that one. She seemed too far gone to be redeemed (though not as far gone as Voldemort).

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 16th, 2007, 3:57 am
Hogwarts Graduate

One thing we have to admit about Bella though- she was an excellent witch, in the sense of being very skilled. There wasn't much on the Dark Magic side she couldn't achieve. Her downfall was really her impetuousness - she could have used a bit of Lucius' cool. Interesting character. Thoroughly nasty, but interesting.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:22 am
Fifth Year

Yes, she certainly knew her craft.In Voldemort, she saw ultimate power, (as long as she stayed in his good books) and a trust from him, saving her from the MoM in the end of Phoenix. You say her hatred for Tonks, when she tried to kill her in the flight from the Dursleys.
One question, is she a loony.............yes, completely around the twist, but that is what makes her such a wonderful character.

Old September 29th, 2007, 5:21 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

*Wakes up sleepy Bella thread

How did Bella view her family (the Blacks)?

My own take is that she viewed it as her duty to make the Blacks into the perfect "pureblood" family. I think it explains both her outburst in "The Dark Lord Ascending" and her seeking out of Tonks (and vice-versa).

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old September 29th, 2007, 5:43 pm
Renegade

1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort? What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters? Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?

Oh, yeah... she was in love with him. I don't think there's much question about that. I don't know what Rodolphus was up to when she "learned the dark arts from him (Voldemort)."

2. What do you suppose leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape so, as seen in the HBP chapter 'Spinner's End'? Does this cast any doubts upon her complete trust in Voldemort? Does it speak of any prior relationship with Snape?

Jealousy.

3. What kind of relationship do you think that Bellatrix had with her cousin, Sirius, for her to so easily battle against, and ultimately have a hand in killing him?

She probably saw him as a blood traitor.

4. Bellatrix is said to have been at school and joined forces with several other Death Eaters prior to Harry's parents being at Hogwarts. What factors do you see as contributing to the turning of Bellatrix and her peers to Voldemort, and how could they have gotten away with this in the middle of Hogwarts?

Not prior to Lily and James being at Hogwarts. Sirius described Snape as belonging to a clique that included Bellatrix and Rodolphus.

5. Bellatrix seems to have a fondness for the Cruciatus curse. What do you think that this says about her personality and history?

That she was a cruel woman and enjoyed the sufferings of others, particularly when she was causing the suffering.

It appears not to have bothered her at all until Voldemort publicly humiliated her about it.

Nope. She was way too far gone for that.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old September 29th, 2007, 6:57 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
My own take is that she viewed it as her duty to make the Blacks into the perfect "pureblood" family. I think it explains both her outburst in "The Dark Lord Ascending" and her seeking out of Tonks (and vice-versa).
I couldn't agree more with this. I think she was immensely proud in her pureblood line as was Sirius' mother. To have the tree tainted by the infusion of Muggle blood in any way could not be tolerated for her. While Mrs. Black blasted them off the tree, Bella (the ever fundamentalist) went for their lives.

To have Muggle blood on her tree made her look bad as we seen in "The Dark Lord Ascending" Voldy knows just the right cord with her to strike. When Voldy asks her to "prune" her tree of the "unhealthy" parts...she replies with no hesitation:

The Dark Lord Ascending
"Yes, my Lord," whispered Bellatrix, and her eyes swam with tears of gratitude again, "At first chance!"

I bolded the "tears of gratitude" because it touches at the essence of her character. She was happy and grateful not only to serve the Dark Lord, but to serve him by killing her family! Even if she never saw them as family...they were.

Old October 1st, 2007, 3:46 am
Second Year

I think Bellatrix was the most evil character in the book, second to Voldemort. She just loved to torture.

I liked that she loved Voldemort. Bellatrix loving Voldemort didn't make either of them any less evil. It was another example of how love doesn't always save the day.(Snape loving Lily didn't work out too well)

"Listening to the news! Again?"
"Well, it changes every day, you see."
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:28 pm
Second Year

Quote:
1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort? What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters? Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?

1. It seems to me obvious from Deathly Hallows that Bellatrix had some kind of 'romantic' feelings towards Voldemort, although I'm not entirely sure romantic is the right word: it suggests a rather more positive and wholesome kind of relationship. Bellatrix clearly idolises Voldemort: it isn't love in the traditional sense of the word, but I would hesitate to say it isn't love at all. Certainly Voldemort takes every advantage of this feeling and is very cruel in his abuses of it, yet Bellatrix seems to come crawling back every time.

The other two parts to this question are rather more difficult as we know very little information about Bellatrix prior to her torture of the Longbottoms. Of course, she was raised in a family obsessed with pureblood supremacy, and where violence was accepted and even encouraged (think of the beheading house elves tradition). But Andromeda, Sirius, Regulus and Narcissa were also raised in a similar environment. I think "evil from birth" is a poor argument: Bellatrix may have had certain traits, such as a quick temper or a predisposition to mental instability, from birth or a very young age, but it cannot solely account for the character we see in the series.

Perhaps Andromeda and Sirius leaving the family helped to turn her against "Mudbloods" and "blood traitors" even further: it seems to be consistent for Bellatrix that she would blame Ted and the Marauders, particularly James, for taking her family away from her. In OOTP, she mentions Voldemort taught her the Dark Arts himself: perhaps Voldemort marked her out and recruited her at a young age. This statement also seems to suggest she did not have an interest in the Dark Arts, and study it, from childhood as Snape did. And also she, at some point, fell in 'love' (for want of a more descriptive term) with him, which may have partly caused the fanaticism we see today.

2. I think this has the relatively simple answer of her being envious of Snape overtaking her in terms of Voldemort's favour. However, although it is unlikely Snape and Bella were at Hogwarts together for any significant period, she may have heard from Narcissa about Snape's friendship with Lily. Kindness towards a Muggle-born, however long ago it was, was unlikely to help Bellatrix's opinion of Snape.

3. That's difficult. I'm not entirely convinced killing Sirius was intentional, but that's a whole new discussion. Bellatrix and Sirius are of course quite similar in character, although they have chosen totally opposing sides. This could have made them closer in childhood, but is more likely, IMO, to have contributed to a more difficult relationship: in my experience, it's rare to get along well with someone very similar to you. However, I still think Bellatrix would have keenly felt Sirius' 'betrayal' by being sorted into Gryffindor and ultimately running away.

4. Well, Draco manages to get away with being a Death Eater and bringing Death Eaters into the school for an attempted assassination of the Headmaster, and Voldemort himself manages to open the Chamber of Secrets and kill someone without suffering any punishment, so I'm sure Bellatrix and her peers will have managed somehow, although I do envision Bellatrix as blundering into a lot more trouble than Voldemort (sneaky and calculating isn't really her style).

I think some of her peers may have had parents or relations who were Death Eaters (a Lestrange is mentioned as being in a group of Voldemort's 'friends' during Slughorn's memory in HBP). I also think the Slytherin climate must have been partly to blame.

5. It shows her sadism. It may also suggest something of the Black family atmosphere: as I said before violence was acceptable (at least towards house elves) and it doesn't seem to me unlikely that physical punishment was not uncommon. However, as I also mentioned, this cannot be solely to blame as other characters grew up in a similar atmosphere. Perhaps Bellatrix's enjoyment of causing pain is feeling that she is serving/avenging her master by so doing.

6. I think she didn't just hate Tonks for marrying a werewolf, she hated Tonks for being born. It took away most of what little chance there was Andromeda would ever leave Ted and return to the family. Nymphadora herself never, I'm sure, wanted anything to do with her Black side (her choice of preferred name shows clearly the side of the family she prefers). Of course, Voldemort taunted her about Tonks: and it is typical of Bella's nature that rather than admitting Voldemort is at all to blame for causing her pain and public humiliation, she blames Tonks. It is only after that scene we really see her hating Tonks more than she hates others: yes, she battled her in OOTP but left her alive (possibly unintentionally, maybe she thought she had killed her).

7. Possibly, but it would have taken another book the length of OOTP almost solely focused on it. In HBP she displays some remaining affection for Narcissa (to me she also appears the most lucid in this scene, particularly before Snape appears.) Yes, it would be technically possible, but Bellatrix was never a character that was meant to be redeemed. It would have taken a lot of time to do even remotely convincingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
I couldn't agree more with this. I think she was immensely proud in her pureblood line as was Sirius' mother. To have the tree tainted by the infusion of Muggle blood in any way could not be tolerated for her. While Mrs. Black blasted them off the tree, Bella (the ever fundamentalist) went for their lives.

To have Muggle blood on her tree made her look bad as we seen in "The Dark Lord Ascending" Voldy knows just the right cord with her to strike. When Voldy asks her to "prune" her tree of the "unhealthy" parts...she replies with no hesitation:

The Dark Lord Ascending
"Yes, my Lord," whispered Bellatrix, and her eyes swam with tears of gratitude again, "At first chance!"

I bolded the "tears of gratitude" because it touches at the essence of her character. She was happy and grateful not only to serve the Dark Lord, but to serve him by killing her family! Even if she never saw them as family...they were.
I agree that the 'tears of gratitude' bit touches at the essence of her character, but may I suggest another way in which it does so? Bellatrix here is grateful to Voldemort for suggesting a way out of the public humiliation he himself has caused. To me it shows how much Bellatrix is prepared to turn a blind eye to: no matter how Voldemort abuses her devotion to him, she never blames him in any way. However evil Bellatrix is (which is pretty evil) I think I will always find this just the tiniest bit pitiable.

Ravenclaw

Can't wait for Pottermore!
Old October 5th, 2007, 4:16 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharina View Post
I agree that the 'tears of gratitude' bit touches at the essence of her character, but may I suggest another way in which it does so? Bellatrix here is grateful to Voldemort for suggesting a way out of the public humiliation he himself has caused. To me it shows how much Bellatrix is prepared to turn a blind eye to: no matter how Voldemort abuses her devotion to him, she never blames him in any way. However evil Bellatrix is (which is pretty evil) I think I will always find this just the tiniest bit pitiable.
Good point and good insight . It never struck me that when I read it, but know that you brought it up, I agree. I can also see what you are saying about it being a bit pitiable. Because it is a rather pathetic reaction to everything that Voldymort has said to her prior.

Quote:
In OOTP, she mentions Voldemort taught her the Dark Arts himself: perhaps Voldemort marked her out and recruited her at a young age.
I am guessing that is what happened as well. It seemed that she had quite the experiance and devotion when she went to torture the Longbottoms and then was arrested for doing so.

Quote:
I'm not entirely convinced killing Sirius was intentional, but that's a whole new discussion.
I am kind of feeling like this would be a good thread....

Quote:
Perhaps Bellatrix's enjoyment of causing pain is feeling that she is serving/avenging her master by so doing.
Exactly. As you said before it "shows her sadism". I totally agree.

Old October 7th, 2007, 11:17 am
First Year

I think that she was a very intelligent girl who just couldn't put up with leading her life like Narcissa. I'm guessing that she didn't just have romantic feelings for LV, but was deeply in love with him. I believe that she did anything what he wanted. This turned her into a crazy murderer who then did all those things not only for him, but also because she wanted to do them.
I suppose that she is afraid that he might danger her position has LV's number one. He convinced LV of his faith easily and I think that makes her jealous and afraid.
I don't think he is family for her. At the beginning of DH he says that she doesn't consider her sister Andromeda as family, I think the same goes for serious. Furthermore, at this point a human life is probably nothing for her.
They were raised to believe in the purity of blood. LV says waht they had herd from there parents and he offers them might and support. I don't think they did too much at Hogwarts and I'm sure they were careful. After all, their master got away with opening the Chamber of Secrets.
It shows her cruelty and madness. I think the love which I mentioned earlier has become fanatic and crazy. She enjoys the pain of others.
I think she might have been redeemed at a very early point, in her first years as DE, but after that she is only cruelty and evil.

Old October 7th, 2007, 5:24 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post

I am guessing that is what happened as well. It seemed that she had quite the experiance and devotion when she went to torture the Longbottoms and then was arrested for doing so.
Exactly: although I'm sure Azkaban didn't help Bellatrix (I hate that place, although that's for a different discussion), it's clear her devotion for Voldemort was pretty strong before as well. Although we have to remember two/three (depending if you count Barty Jr) others helped to torture the Longbottoms, Bellatrix is the most outspoken by far at the trial. It's clear she feels absolutely justified about what she did and proud of serving Voldemort.

Quote:
I am kind of feeling like this would be a good thread....
There was one ages ago, back before DH, which provided a really interesting discussion for a while. After DH and the way she acted towards the rest of her family, though, it seems much less likely Sirius' death was an accident.

Ravenclaw

Can't wait for Pottermore!
Old October 8th, 2007, 3:33 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanSweepSeven View Post
I liked that she loved Voldemort. Bellatrix loving Voldemort didn't make either of them any less evil. It was another example of how love doesn't always save the day.(Snape loving Lily didn't work out too well)
I wouldn't agree it was an example of love not always saving the day, because JKR has made a huge point that love is the most powerful magic against Voldy. Here's what I found really interesting: Voldy is supposed to be symbol of evil in the story, and love is supposed to be what defeats evil. Yet what happens when it is evil that you love? I think Bella serves as a good example of that.

In slow motion the flowers fell from my head an shattered like glass. And when I looked into the mirror, I was a beautiful milkmaid. Then I woke up crying, and I don’t know why. ~Snape from Potter Puppet Pals

"In a lot of cases I think being the canon love interest for a much-beloved male character is the female character's death sentence." ~ thirty2flavors regarding the hate of female characters in fandom

~I'm Lily's best friend because she doesn't have one.~
Old November 23rd, 2007, 1:05 pm
Fourth Year

When it is evil that you love mummy dearest will come, call you names and eventually send a deadly curse to where your heart should be.
This is what Jo has said in a recent interview:
Quote:
She does commit a murder.
Yes in book seven she kills Bellatrix- she is the only woman on the good side who kills. I saw Molly and Bellatrix standing opposite of each other for a long time; two completely different characters, who each show a very feminine side of love. The pure and protecting love of Molly, and the obsessive, perverse of Bellatrix. Those two feminine types of energy against each other. That was very satisfying to write.
Sorry Bellatrix! You are the only HP character that isn't supposed to fall in love.
Seriously, this explanation does not make any sense to me. I think saying that Bellatrix tried to kill Ginny (after Ginny attacked her but never mind) is enough. This paralells between the two characters are just weird. Loving a child is equally important to loving a man and vice versa. Without the man there wouldn't even be a child.
Obsessive? Yes she's loyal to him. She cares what he thinks of her. DUH! Any woman would care what the man she loves thinks of her.
She tries to please him, but so do all the other DEs. So what exactly makes her obsessed?
And perverse? Why, yeah Voldy is ugly. So what? That only shows that she's not shallow and that she loves people for who they are.
Bellatrix needed retribution. She was evil, she had to go. She had to go not because she loved the "wrong" person but because she had hurt people.
Quote:
Do you think Belltrix could have been redeemed?
Oh no. There is no redemption for childless women.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 2:37 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixa View Post

Sorry Bellatrix! You are the only HP character that isn't supposed to fall in
Obsessive? Yes she's loyal to him. She cares what he thinks of her. DUH! Any woman would care what the man she loves thinks of her.
She tries to please him, but so do all the other DEs. So what exactly makes her obsessed?
And perverse? Why, yeah Voldy is ugly. So what? That only shows that she's not shallow and that she loves people for who they are.
Bellatrix needed retribution. She was evil, she had to go. She had to go not because she loved the "wrong" person but because she had hurt people.

Oh no. There is no redemption for childless women.

Bellatrix is obessed with his power. Is Vodemort was simply Tom Riddle she'd probably not be interested at all. She is drawn to the things he has accomplished and his controlling personality- after all, Bellatirx is a pretty independent woman, i'm sure the fact that someone would have the power to control her wild spirit would impress her. Instead of simply loving him she is obsessed with everything he says, does and it's almost as if everything he does is 'rightous'. I mean, you can love someone and disagree with their choices but Bellatrix doesn't seem to. The only time she seems to be able to argue the possibilty that Voldemort is wrong is when she thinks him in danger. She suspected Snape.
Bellatrix would kill for Voldemort. Her obsession stretches to the bounds that she'd slaughter her entire family simply to get him to say 'good Bella'. Had she given birth to a child she would have given him to the lord even if Death was certain for it. Most mothers couldn't even dream of that. She worships the very earth he walks on no doubt and she seems to be so passionate about her love for him that she can't even control herself.
She murders men, woman and children- just for him. That is pretty twisted on its own.
That is what I call obessesion.

Then again that is only my opinon.

And what has childless women got to do with it?

Snape
"I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."
Image: http://hettie-young.deviantart.com/g...craps#/d2wqhyt
by me.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 3:22 pm
Inconceivable!

Bellatrix told Narcissa in Spinner's End that she felt that the Dark Lord was granting Draco a great honor by giving him such an important assignment. Narcissa was afraid that Draco would be killed while trying to perform his task.
HBP-Ch 2, page 35-US ed "You should be proud!" said Bellatrix ruthlessly. "If I had sons, I would be glad to give them up to the service of the Dark Lord!"

This is how Bellatrix claims she would act if she had sons. She would do anything that Voldemort asked her to do, including giving her sons to him. I would think that if she was less obsessed with Voldemort, she would have felt more like her sister Narcissa, fearful for her son.

My thought on the battle between Bellatrix and Molly was that it had nothing to do with the fact that Bellatrix was childless, but everything to do with the fact that she placed very little value on human life. All the bad guys needed to be stopped, that was the purpose of the war - stop the bad guys, stop the killing. Bellatrix needed to be stopped. Molly had the most incentive, in my opinion, to stop her.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Last edited by SusanBones; November 23rd, 2007 at 10:16 pm. Reason: grammar and spelling
Old November 23rd, 2007, 7:06 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
She murders men, woman and children- just for him. That is pretty twisted on its own.
Not for him, for the cause. The other death eaters murder as well. Are they also obsessed with Voldemort? It's a war, people choose a side that's it.
Quote:
mean, you can love someone and disagree with their choices but Bellatrix doesn't seem to. The only time she seems to be able to argue the possibilty that Voldemort is wrong is when she thinks him in danger. She suspected Snape.
Bella gets very little screen time in the books. Spinner's end is one of the few chapters in which we see her. There she disagrees with Voldemort and betrays him for Narcissa.
BTW, isn't Hagrid always the one who agrees with everything Dumbledore does and says?
Quote:
Bellatrix is obessed with his power
Yes she does love him for his power. That's a reason to love just as good as brains, looks or kindness is. If he were powerless and weak he wouldn't be who he is.
Quote:
This is how Bellatrix claims she would act if she had sons. She would do anything that Voldemort asked her to do, including giving her sons to him. I would think that if she was less obsessed with Voldemort, she would have felt more like her sister Narcissa, fearful for her son.
She's not maternal.
Quote:
She worships the very earth he walks on no doubt and she seems to be so passionate about her love for him that she can't even control herself.
Oh, so that's why she didn't offer to give him her wand in DH. And decided to lie to him about the sword. I see.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 7:14 pm
Eldest Gruff

You are all entitled to voice your opinion, but please do so in a constructive way. Sarcasm does not help our many members, which first language isn't English.

Additionally please make sure you have read and understood Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray and How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic. Neither character bashing nor bashing of a real life person such as JK is allowed on this board.

Please feel free to owl any member of staff should you have an questions. Thanks.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 7:54 pm
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixa View Post
decided to lie to him about the sword.
When did she lie to him about the sword?

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 9:31 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

this thread lives

As far as Bellatrix loving...I think she at least thought that she loved Voldemort. He seemed to fill some kind of emotional need for her, which lead to such an obsession that she was willing to do anything to serve him. Other Death Eaters may have wanted the prestige attached to being high up with Voldemort, or they may have truly believed in the ideals of pure blood supremacy. But Bellatrix's loyalties seemed to be centered around Voldemort himself.

Last edited by Rell; November 23rd, 2007 at 9:33 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies