Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Old July 13th, 2007, 12:16 am
Unspeakable

Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Bellatrix Lestrange. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort? What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters? Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?

2. What do you suppose leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape so, as seen in the HBP chapter 'Spinner's End'? Does this cast any doubts upon her complete trust in Voldemort? Does it speak of any prior relationship with Snape?

3. What kind of relationship do you think that Bellatrix had with her cousin, Sirius, for her to so easily battle against, and ultimately have a hand in killing him?

4. Bellatrix is said to have been at school and joined forces with several other Death Eaters prior to Harry's parents being at Hogwarts. What factors do you see as contributing to the turning of Bellatrix and her peers to Voldemort, and how could they have gotten away with this in the middle of Hogwarts?

5. Bellatrix seems to have a fondness for the Cruciatus curse. What do you think that this says about her personality and history?

6. What do you think of her hatred of Tonks for marrying a werewolf?

7. Do you think Belltrix could have been redeemed?

Last edited by Jessica; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:02 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:42 am
Second Year

Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

I have to be honest. I don't think much of Bellatrix Lestrange. I think she is too fanatical of Voldemort. She follows his every order willingly and like a sheep. If I was Voldemort, I wouldn't like her, I would just take advantage of her at every turn.

But maybe this says something. Was she lacking in a good father-figure? Is she seeking for a father-figure in Voldemort?

I think it was rather obvious that Bellatrix and Sirius did not have a good relationship as children. She probably saw him as a blood-traitor for having such pure blood but being sorted into Gryffindor and joining the Order later.

I think that the Black family and the idea of a 'pure' blood ancestry is what influenced her to join Voldemort and the Death Eaters. But she just took it several steps further and turned it into fanaticism.

I mean, why do other girls become fanatical over rock stars? What motivates them? I may sound a little mean and dismissive of Bella, but maybe that's all it is.

Feel free to put up a counter argument and convince me otherwise

Because we love our Vegemite!
We all adore our Vegemite!
It puts a rose on every cheek!
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:15 pm
First Year

Bellatrix is one of the only characters that I believe had no possible chance at redemption. She was a fanatic to the extreme! Even though she was married I still feel she had some strong romantic or idol like feeling towards LV. From the look on is face when she died he may have felt the same way.

Bellatrix, may also be a product of her environment. A family that was so into the Dark Arts probably had some very interesting disipline techiques. Especially since she grew up in a time where physical punishment such as beatings where normal.

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:48 pm
First Year

1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort? What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters? Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?

I hate to make her sound one-dimensional but I think this was a case of a character simply not being right in the head, i.e., she was off her rocker, deranged. It was noted about Voldemort's/Tom Riddle's maternal family that they had a history of mental instability and hostility. Perhaps the inbreeding in Bellatrix's family created some mental instability in her, as well. Add to her instability a family bias about being pure-blooded and you've got a recipe for a hateful personality. I don't think her feelings towards Voldemort romantic simply because I don't think she was capable of having those kinds of feelings. She was certainly sycophantic and I'm sure this craving for his approval felt like something approaching 'romantic' feelings for her.

2. What do you suppose leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape so, as seen in the HBP chapter 'Spinner's End'? Does this cast any doubts upon her complete trust in Voldemort? Does it speak of any prior relationship with Snape?

Well, Bellatrix expressed her loyalty towards Voldemort in loud and over-the-top ways. There was nothing subtle about her. I don't think she had the capacity for distinguishing subtle motives; she only saw black/white. Certainly, she second-guessed Voldemort as it relates to his trust in Snape. Frankly, I think Bellatrix trusted no one.

3. What kind of relationship do you think that Bellatrix had with her cousin, Sirius, for her to so easily battle against, and ultimately have a hand in killing him?

Again, she's a black/white person with a single-minded bias about purebloods. Sirius represented a challenge to her umm family values and there could be no "agreeing to disagree" impasse with her. You were either on her (Death Eater's) side or you were against her. As they were related, she would have wanted to disavow any similarities whatsoever. Hate is a powerful and corrosive feeling; the fact that they were cousins would have had no impact on her.

Also, the mindset that supports feeling superior to others is one that also rationalizes the inferiority of others. The more distance you put between yourself and others, the easier it becomes to desensitize yourself to their humanity, even to desensitize yourself from your own humanity. Then it's not such a big step to act inhumanely.

4. Bellatrix is said to have been at school and joined forces with several other Death Eaters prior to Harry's parents being at Hogwarts. What factors do you see as contributing to the turning of Bellatrix and her peers to Voldemort, and how could they have gotten away with this in the middle of Hogwarts?

She was raised with a belief system that supported the idea that she (and her family) were superior to other wizards/witches. Voldemort only tapped into that bias. The whole House structure supports rivalries so it would not have been much of a stretch to ingrain and nurture feelings of rivalry.

5. Bellatrix seems to have a fondness for the Cruciatus curse. What do you think that this says about her personality and history?

Again, she's an unstable personality and completely lacking in pathos. No feelings for the other (compassion), incapable of relating to someone else's feelings (empathy) and incapable of processing or synthesizing someone else's feelings (sympathy). Our feelings for an-other often restrain us from acting badly towards another. Take away that feeling and you take away restraint.

I think it's entirely consistent with her character. She would have hated Tonks all the more for 'staining' the family tree with an 'inferior' being.

No. I think she was deranged. Perhaps with heavy medication she might have been pacified, though.

Old July 26th, 2007, 4:39 am
First Year

Based on the soul-tearing effects of Avada Kedavra upon its caster, I would speculate that the other Unforgivables have some sort of negative effects on the witch or wizard using them. Perhaps her fondness of the cruciatus curse unhinged her as surely as its aplication broke the Longbottoms.

Old July 26th, 2007, 6:43 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickoftv View Post
Based on the soul-tearing effects of Avada Kedavra upon its caster, I would speculate that the other Unforgivables have some sort of negative effects on the witch or wizard using them. Perhaps her fondness of the cruciatus curse unhinged her as surely as its aplication broke the Longbottoms.
Now, that's something I'd not thought of! Good point!

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old July 27th, 2007, 2:09 am
First Year

Bellatrix shows a clear lust for power, and the sort of power she prefers is personal domination over other people. This is the root of her clear sexual (I won't call it romantic) attraction to Voldemort. Power is her god, and Voldemort exemplifies her idea of power, so she wants him. I suspect she married her husband, Rodolphus, for his pure blood... she certainly never shows any signs of loving, or even liking him. The fact that they have no children and her attitude of sacrificing children to her Dark Lord speaks volumes.

Given the ease with Snape parries her accusations, I believe the root of this is jealousy over Snape's status as one of Voldemort's favorites. She is somewhat out of favor after the Ministry, and goes looking for a way to diminish a man who stands between her and her Master. I suspect the relationship they had at school was not as cordial as those Snape had with other Death Eaters. Snape is a half-blood, and Bellatrix is a Black, and clearly believes she deserves to be Voldemort's queen, or some such. She sees him as innately less worthy than she. Ironically, as we find out she's right. Her lack of complete trust in Voldemort shows that in the end she's just as selfish as any other Death Eater, out for herself first.

He "betrayed" their pure blood family, and obviously they hatred each other. She considers him to be a stain on her pure-blood status, and as such must be eliminated. She does the same later with 'Dora Tonks after Tonks marries Lupin, and would doubtlessly go after her sister Andromeda if she got the chance.

She bought into the pure-blood ideology, and basically made it her religion. I doubt she was able to act on it very much while she was at Hogwarts, but there's no doubt she joined the Death Eaters as soon as she could.

She's a sadist. I think it goes to her lust for power and personal domination. She obviously enjoys the ability to make her enemies twitch and scream.

See question #3. She sees it as a personal insult and a liability to her blood purity.

Very little chance. She truly enjoys her acts of depravity, and would be too proud to give that up. Additionally, the only person whom she seems to have a smidge of real human caring for is her sister. No, if 13 years in Azkaban didn't break her, I doubt she has the ability to turn over a new leaf.

Old August 5th, 2007, 4:22 am
Second Year

Bellatrix IMO was completely insane. Her evil is different from Voldemort's, who was absolutely sober and calculating. He was by far the more culpable. Bellatrix wanted to be Voldemort's favorite, and resented anyone taking that role, which would include Severus. One should note that according to the timeline, Bellatrix never went to school with Severus, as her birth year according to the Black Family tree is 1953. Severus' birth date has been confirmed by Jo as January 9, and we know from the Godric's Hollow chapter that the birth year is 1960.

Old August 5th, 2007, 5:14 am
Third Year

bellatrix is a perfect match for voldie in that neither one of them had any redeemable qualities. that she would be willing to sacrifice any children to the service of the dark lord shows the difference between her and narcissa. i agree that she would have gone after andromeda if given the chance. her death was definitely fitting because she scorned family ties by killing her cousin and her niece...and ultimately lost to molly who was all about family.

i thought it was interesting that andromeda apparently resembles bellatrix, enough to fool harry. it would be cool if they got helena bonham carter to play andromeda too, just different enough to highlight the difference between the sisters.

and i'm definitely looking forward to her acting in the scene where hermione is polyjuiced as bellatrix!

Old August 5th, 2007, 5:36 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Interesting HP lexicon about the disagreement in canon between Snape's comments and the Black family tree:
http://www.hp-lexicon.org/about/exp-ages.html
Basically, JK and math don't mix, and the Black family tree appears to be an example of this. So it's up in the air whether Snape and Bella overlapped.

Overlapping Snape and bella aside...
Agreed that her brand of loyalty is basically insanity. She's fanatical about Voldemort, and she'd do anything in his service and for his praise / approval. That creates a scary person...she enjoyed the evil that she did; as opposed to some of the DE's, who took no enjoyment in some of their work.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 5th, 2007, 6:18 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Agreed that her brand of loyalty is basically insanity. She's fanatical about Voldemort, and she'd do anything in his service and for his praise / approval. That creates a scary person...she enjoyed the evil that she did; as opposed to some of the DE's, who took no enjoyment in some of their work.
She's very scary, because she's not afraid to lose anything except for Voldemort's disaproval. So she'll do anything it takes to maintain approval. Voldemort seems to have picked up on this and takes advantage of her loyalty to sickening proportions - I hated watching them interact. Because as much as I hate Bellatrix, I also hated to see how Voldemort knew exactly how to get to her, and how to humiliate her into action.

Old August 5th, 2007, 6:33 am
Third Year

I think that Bellatrix never really loved her husband, though she did love Voldemort. I would hardly call it pure, though, as I think a large part of it was her love for power and for a 'cleansed' world.

Old August 5th, 2007, 6:55 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Yes, I agree that there is no love in Bellatrix. Passion yes, she is a very passionate woman, but it's love of power and the attraction of evil that seems to motivate her.

I also agree with the earlier post by Pigleto972001, that it's really fitting that Bella who had no real sense of family - she killed 2 of them at any rate - was taken down by Molly in defence of her family. Molly's love for her children was something Bella just couldn't compete with in the end. Molly was fighting for something fundamentally important to her, Bella was just fighting for the pleasure of it.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old August 5th, 2007, 7:29 pm
First Year

No, I highly doubt she loved Voldemort in a romantic way, but I think she was more in love with his motives and his "plans" for the wizarding world. I also think that maybe part of her support for Voldemort started as a way to prove herself worthy of the surname Black, and maybe to develop a clear, distinct difference from Sirius? I think she accepted anything that would discern her from him.

I believe that maybe in her earlier years she felt alone and isolated and maybe her love for the Cruciatus curse was an extremely cruel way for her to get revenge?

Old August 5th, 2007, 10:55 pm
First Year

I can't remember if I read this in one of the books... or an interview, but...

Bellatrix was already seen as a bit unstable, but all of those years with the dementors resulted in her being fundamentally insane.

Old August 6th, 2007, 10:09 am
Sixth Year

Yes, it's debateable whether it was Azkaban that drove her insane or whether she was crazy to begin with.

Old August 6th, 2007, 3:22 pm
First Year

I think that she was a nut ever since birth. Azkaban didn't help much either.

Radiant Garden, my true home.

"No, I was merely reading the Muggle magazines," said Dumbledore. "I do love knitting patterns."
Old August 6th, 2007, 4:47 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I believe her borderline insanity and obsessive tendencies towards Voldemort started pre-Azkaban (as did her love of "crucio"). She went overboard at the Longbottoms and loved it, so that can't be considered "normal".

Azkaban probably removed the shreds of normalcy from her, and left her the raving obsessive lunatic we saw in the last three books. Azkaban didn't remove her magical skill, though, so it left a very dangerous witch.

I'm not sure she was obsessive and insane from birth - the same parents turned out Andromeda and Narcissa. I think she developed it over time, probably starting when she hit Hogwarts and was sent to Slytherin.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 8th, 2007, 2:04 am
Sixth Year

I believe that she was a sociopath with a superiority complex who was also an extremist. The type of family she grew up in caused her to become the psychotic sadist we all know and love/hate (or love to hate).
I think that she definitely harbored romantic feelings for Voldemort (and I thought this before the Live Chat).

I just think that she hated the fact that Voldemort trusted Snape more than her.

I think that they were very close growing up. If you look at them closely, they have similar "all or nothing" mind sets; there are no shades of gray with these two. I believe that if Sirius had been put into Slytherin he would have been just as psychotic a Death Eater as Bella, and if Bella had been put into Gryffindor she would have turned out almost exactly like Sirius (but without the Azkaban thing).

I sort of got the impression that the social order of Hogwarts was much different in back story land than it is in Harry's era. Purebloods seemed to have had much more of a hold over things back then, so I assume that Bella and co's parents could have bribed/talked their way out if their kid's getting in serious trouble.

It says that she's a sociopathic sadist.

She hates Tonks for being Andromeda's daughter, not because she married a werewolf.

No. Some characters are pure evil.

Old August 8th, 2007, 4:10 am
Elvendork

She usually uses the Cruciatus curse on those who fight against Voldemort's ideas or have "dirty blood." To her, she may see these people as an obstacle that's in the way of how the world really should be. By causing those people pain, she may believe that the people are paying their price for ruining the Wizarding World. A really disgusting belief, but that's my only thought on why she would do such acts....

Well, she has inherited the pureblood mania, so that's one factor. I think another reason for her wanting to kill Tonks so badly is because of how she was ridiculed . She had an obsessive love with Voldemort and Tonks was ruined her image.

CoS and Pottermore sorted
You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

- Aristotle

Specialises in awesome picspams.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies