Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Barty Crouch Jr : Character Analysis

Old March 11th, 2008, 1:51 am
Second Year

Re: Barty Crouch Jr : Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
One year undercover?
I was referring to the plot of Goblet of Fire. Sorry if I used the wrong words, it was pretty late at night and I was tired.

"Remember the part where you weren't talking ? Let's do that again."

À consommer avec modération.
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2008, 4:53 pm
Second Year

Do you think Barty Jr. had any compassion for Neville at all, or any regret for what he had done to Neville's parents? His kindness to Neville can be seen as totally part of his act (and the device to get Neville the herbology book to help Harry figure out to use gillyweed), but...for some reason I think he may have felt a little bad that he was responsible for Neville growing up without his parents?

I think he hated Lucius, Karkaroff and Snape because they betrayed Voldemort by denying their connection with him. Also Karkaroff "named names" and betrayed fellow Death Eaters. When Barty/Moody says there's nothing he hates so much as a Death Eater who went free, I think he is talking as Barty, not as "Moody." Barty hated the Death Eaters who went free because they didn't try to find Voldemort and help him to return, something Barty would have done (he thinks) if he were free.

Tolkien exploded: "What has it got to do with the story? Where is this place? Why emus? And what is the thing in the foreground with the pink bulbs?" When the reply came that the artist hadn't had time to read the book, and that the object with the pink bulbs was "meant to suggest a Christmas tree,' Tolkien could only answer: "I begin to feel that I am shut up in a madhouse."
Old March 11th, 2008, 6:33 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalese View Post
Do you think Barty Jr. had any compassion for Neville at all, or any regret for what he had done to Neville's parents? His kindness to Neville can be seen as totally part of his act (and the device to get Neville the herbology book to help Harry figure out to use gillyweed), but...for some reason I think he may have felt a little bad that he was responsible for Neville growing up without his parents?
I don't think that Barty ever had any sympathy for Neville, he never really showed any regret after he was found out. He was pretty much a psychopath and I don't think he could bring himself to feel sorry for Neville. It was all part of the plan. Barty knew fully well that he could use Neville by referring to his parents. Besides he didn't have a good relationship with his own father so he didn't have any feelings for family life.

I would like to think though that he genuinely was kind to Neville.

Old March 12th, 2008, 5:31 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I don't think that Barty ever had any sympathy for Neville, he never really showed any regret after he was found out. He was pretty much a psychopath and I don't think he could bring himself to feel sorry for Neville. It was all part of the plan. Barty knew fully well that he could use Neville by referring to his parents. Besides he didn't have a good relationship with his own father so he didn't have any feelings for family life.

I would like to think though that he genuinely was kind to Neville.
I think you may be right, but it's sad, especially considering Harry's reflection that asking Neville to tea and giving him the herbology book was like something Professor Lupin would have done. Ah, well, maybe the real Moody would have been as kind.

Tolkien exploded: "What has it got to do with the story? Where is this place? Why emus? And what is the thing in the foreground with the pink bulbs?" When the reply came that the artist hadn't had time to read the book, and that the object with the pink bulbs was "meant to suggest a Christmas tree,' Tolkien could only answer: "I begin to feel that I am shut up in a madhouse."
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:57 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I think he hated Lucius, Karkaroff and Snape because they betrayed Voldemort by denying their connection with him. Also Karkaroff "named names" and betrayed fellow Death Eaters. When Barty/Moody says there's nothing he hates so much as a Death Eater who went free, I think he is talking as Barty, not as "Moody." Barty hated the Death Eaters who went free because they didn't try to find Voldemort and help him to return, something Barty would have done (he thinks) if he were free.
Absolutely, and I think this feeling would extend to any Death Eater who had gone free and had not helped Voldemort. I get the feeling Voldemort was everything to him at this point ; maybe one of the few good, "real" things in his life (as he sees it, anyway) ? I think Barty would be pretty frustrated knowing there are many people who do not respect the Dark Lord as he does.

About Death Eaters walking free, I've seen a lot of people say Barty was a hypocrite because at the trial he did not act "faithful". Yes. Bellatrix did. And as Snape put it, that was nothing more than a nice gesture. You're useless to Voldemort if you're locked in Azkaban, Bella. Had it been a real trial, and had the judge not been Crouch Sr. (which I find ridiculous), Barty may have got away and perhaps Voldemort would have come back sooner.

Old March 13th, 2008, 3:52 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
I think you may be right, but it's sad, especially considering Harry's reflection that asking Neville to tea and giving him the herbology book was like something Professor Lupin would have done. Ah, well, maybe the real Moody would have been as kind.
I think the real Moody could have done this. Barty Crouch probably knew certain mannerisms of Moody (via Pettigrew?) and it's likely he did things that the real man would have done too. Especially since Dumbledore only really became sure of the duplicity when Barty did something out of character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappy28 View Post
About Death Eaters walking free, I've seen a lot of people say Barty was a hypocrite because at the trial he did not act "faithful". Yes. Bellatrix did. And as Snape put it, that was nothing more than a nice gesture. You're useless to Voldemort if you're locked in Azkaban, Bella. Had it been a real trial, and had the judge not been Crouch Sr. (which I find ridiculous), Barty may have got away and perhaps Voldemort would have come back sooner.
I agree that it's likely that Barty Crouch Jr might have gone free if his father hadn't been the prosecutor. There was a lot of father-son hate going on there, settling old scores. Was there even enough evidence to prosecute Barty? Or would another person have declared him not guilty or mentally sick (and send him to St Mungo's instead of Azkaban) I wonder about that.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:42 pm
Second Year

For the moment I'm going to skip the questions that begin this thread, because I have one of my own that I've wondered on for a while: Did Barty Crouch Jr actually do what he was convicted of?

We know it was pretty much a show trial- Crouch had sent people (like Sirius) to Azkaban without trial, and I think there may only have been a trial here so Crouch could publicly show that he wasn't afraid to lock his own son up, and thus avoid any criticisms of his suitability for his job. Crouch (Sr) was also extremely angry, both at his son and at himself for not recognising what his son was doing and stopping it sooner. Reading the section on the trial, everyone there seems pretty determined to get the Lestranges and Barty locked up. Basically, the WW at that time didn't exactly have the best trial system: just look at how easily Ludo Bagman got off for being a popular Quidditch player, and how little they looked into Sirius' case.

Barty was clearly associated with the Death Eaters, and had most likely been branded with the mark, but perhaps he was, at the time he was convicted, like Regulus in that he was looking for a way out. He seems genuinely terrified in the courtroom scene. Perhaps he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time (and with the wrong people)? Perhaps the Lestranges dragged him along, but he didn't participate in the torture?

To me, Barty being (relatively) innocent when he went in seems plausible. Although he is clearly extremely loyal to Voldemort when he comes out, this is quite easily accounted for by being in Azkaban, when his own father had put him there, and then his mother going through that torture and dying there for him, then being kept under the Imperius Curse by his own father. After that, I can imagine him becoming fiercely loyal to Voldemort, although he may not have been before.

Thoughts?

Ravenclaw

Can't wait for Pottermore!
Old March 14th, 2008, 3:33 am
Second Year

As JK Rowling left this issue ambiguous, there are a lot of different opinions on this matter. Personally, I'm on the "he did it, loved it and was genuinely terrified at the trial" side. I've always imagined Barty as sociopathic and awkward throughout childhood and adolescence, Voldemort merely freeing the monster that's been lurking inside all those years, so to speak. But that's just one interpretation ; part of me wishes JKR would finally reveal if he was guilty or not, but another part of me likes all the speculation and different points of view.

Old March 15th, 2008, 11:13 pm
Second Year

Quote:
As JK Rowling left this issue ambiguous, there are a lot of different opinions on this matter. Personally, I'm on the "he did it, loved it and was genuinely terrified at the trial" side. I've always imagined Barty as sociopathic and awkward throughout childhood and adolescence, Voldemort merely freeing the monster that's been lurking inside all those years, so to speak. But that's just one interpretation ; part of me wishes JKR would finally reveal if he was guilty or not, but another part of me likes all the speculation and different points of view.
Agreed- it would be no fun if we knew everything- then what would there be to discuss :P ? Yeah, I agree it's open to both interpretations. Personally, I like the idea that the Ministry and Azkaban as institutions actually created the person who would return Voldemort to life, as it seems to fit with the way JK presents the Ministry, particularly in the later books. It's quite clear, IMO, that he has about as far from a fair trial as possible. However, it's impossible to tell whether he did it or not just by looking at the books.

I can also picture Barty willingly doing it with few regrets, though, possibly motivated by a wish to rebel against his father. From what we see, they don't seem to have a very good relationship, and I can picture Crouch Sr. being a father that constantly puts his son under pressure. Maybe Barty wasn't all that good a student or career person, and that's what attracted him to Voldemort as Voldemort gave him more recognition than his father: perhaps he felt he could succeed and be appreciated in Death Eater circles?

I'm not really firmly on one opinion or another on this matter: I can picture Barty as both.

Ravenclaw

Can't wait for Pottermore!
Old March 20th, 2008, 9:00 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Well, he did show the entire class the 3 Unforgivable Curses, but I think that was part of his act as the gruff teacher who feels you need to know about this !

What I'm curious about though is why he taught Harry specifically how to resist the Imperius curse. Teaching Dumbledore's protégé certainly made him more believable as Moody, but I wonder if there isn't more to it, as I'm sure he knew Voldemort would attempt to put Harry under the Imperius curse at one point or another. Maybe he had a grudge against the Imperius (understandably enough) and didn't want the great Harry-Voldemort duel to end so cheaply ?
Didn't Barty Crouch Jr break through the Imperius Curse? I think this is the Unforgivable Curse he hates the most since it caused him so much stress and strife and whatever. I don't think he cared who he was teaching it to just that others knew how to break free from it as well.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 1:43 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
Didn't Barty Crouch Jr break through the Imperius Curse? I think this is the Unforgivable Curse he hates the most since it caused him so much stress and strife and whatever. I don't think he cared who he was teaching it to just that others knew how to break free from it as well.
Yup, this is one theory I definitely agree with. Of course, I think he was acting like Moody, but IMO not all of it was acting. Like much of his prestation throughout the year.

Old March 27th, 2009, 10:24 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharina View Post
I can also picture Barty willingly doing it with few regrets, though, possibly motivated by a wish to rebel against his father. From what we see, they don't seem to have a very good relationship, and I can picture Crouch Sr. being a father that constantly puts his son under pressure. Maybe Barty wasn't all that good a student or career person, and that's what attracted him to Voldemort as Voldemort gave him more recognition than his father: perhaps he felt he could succeed and be appreciated in Death Eater circles?

I'm not really firmly on one opinion or another on this matter: I can picture Barty as both.
When it comes to Barty Jr, I tend to agree that his father was a big part of the reason he became a Death Eater. I'm reminnded of Sirius comments that Barty Sr. spent too much time at work and not enough time keeping an eye on what his son was doing. Plus, there's Barty Jr's rambling that he would be like as on to Voldemort.

I think Barty Jr. was bitter about being neglected by his father - so he turned to the very thing his father was neglecting him to fight. In some deluded way, he saw Voldie as a replacement father figure and the Death Eaters as giving him the sense of belonging he no longer had with his family.

I'm not sure where the taste for violence came from, though. maybe it was always an underlying part of his personality and was set loose by involvement in the "cause". Or it grew from his involvment in the cause.

I tend to believe that he was a Death Eater prior to his trial, owing to his boast that "I alone tried to find him, I alone was faithful". I do like the idea that he turned to Voldemort after the sham trial the Ministry put him through, but that assertion clinches it in the other direction for me.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old June 7th, 2009, 7:02 am
Fourth Year

1. Why did Barty join the Death Eaters? I think this was purely a rebellious teenager showing his Father he couldn't control his every move. For some reason I got the vibe that Barty Crouch Sr was a very controlling man. I think he also expected his Son to live up to the cutesy notion of being the "All American" Son. You know, the perfect "Yes, Father" Son who did exactly as he was told, excelled in school, was the apple of his Teacher's eyes. I think Barty Jr had that "Twisted Sister" "We're not gonna Take It" attitude to his Father's notion of having the Perfect Son. Anything less was seen as being abnormal, evil and headed straight for Azkaban. Barty knew he was invisible unless his Father wanted to show off his Family, expected Barty to act in a certain wy, etc.
As for the Death Eaters themselves, I think Barty saw power in numbers. As long as he was surrounded by "like minded" peers, he felt powerful. Like he had a voice and meant something. Plus, what would be a better way to give his Father the bird than to hang out with the crowd his Father loathed and feared. Plus, another way to get his Father's attention to say "See I told you that you couldn't control me. Look at me now."

2. When Barty escapes from Azkaban, we read that his mother has sacrificed herself for him. Was this really an idea by Mrs Crouch or do you think Barty manipulated her? Oh, this is a great question. I think Barty manipulated his Mother by simply being in Azkaban. I honestly don't think he really cared what happened as long as he was free, especially from his Father. I don't think he would have had to say anything to get his Mother to trade places with her. I think all Barty had to do was play the role of her "poor little Boy" being picked on, getting skinny, etc to make her sacrifice herself for him.

3. Crouch Sr discovers his sons continuing loyalty towards Voldemort, he places Barty under the imperius curse with Winky to guard him. Crouch Sr continues his normal life and pretends that Barty is not there. Could Barty have changed if his father had tried to speak with him and discover why the Death Eaters were so appealing to the son of a ministry official? Or is/was his character just full hate and unchangeable? I'm not 100% sure on this one. Again, I believe that Barty Sr. was trying to manipulate his Son by trying to make him feel guilty. Plus, he was more concerned about his reputation than his Son. In other words, I don't think any attempt at reconcilliation would have been seen as being genuine unless he gave up his career at the Ministry. Plus, I think by then it was too late to repair any damage.

4. As impostor Alastor Moody, Barty had a lot of contact with Harry Potter. During the year he took several risks, which could have lead to the discovery of his true identity.
What does it say of Barty’s character and devotion that he managed to keep his position even when he made a few slips? I think he was doing this more to prove it to himself he wasn't a complete mess up that his Father said he was. Ok, Crouch Sr. may not have said those words exactly, but he certainly gave that notion. So I think he was trying to prove he could do something without slipping up, without making any serious mistakes. He took several risks to prove he was brave, and could handle pressure and pass with flying colours. For example, the meeting with Harry Potter on the stairs after he had been visiting Snape’s office.

5. Barty shows a lot of interest in the fate of the Death Eaters, he wants to know if Voldemort forgave the Death Eaters or that he tortures them. This sounds rather strange if you suppose that they are on the same side. What is really behind the obsessive hate Barty has towards the Death Eaters? That they had the freedom to drop everything and go to be with each other again. Yet here he was stuck in school babysitting some nimbwit of a Student, making sure he didn't fall and scrape his knees, make sure he taught a bunch of numbskulls some useless garbage while living in the body of some lame duck with a bum leg and fake eye that made the Students stare at him like he had a communicable disease. At the same time, he had to drink some vile tasting potion every hour or so to make sure he kept his agile body at bay. And this shouldn't make him envious of those who were there to witness Harry's humiliation? Gag me with a spoon. No, seriously. I think this is how he felt. He wanted the power, but once he got it, he wanted his life back and whined about how unfair life was, blah, blah, blah, blah blah.

6. Could it be that Barty sees Voldemort as his father figure and therefore desperately seeks acknowledgement from him, something Crouch Sr never gave him? No, I don't think so. He purely wanted this as a shock factor, yet once he got in, he was addicted to the powress he had.

7. Do you think Dumbledore might have suspected anything before the evening of the final task, or was Barty such a great impostor that he was never suspicious? Dumbledore suspected something was amyss.

8. Barty receives the Kiss from a Dementor and is now, if still alive, a soulless human being. What has happened to him, is he dead, back in Azkaban or maybe at St Mungo’s? In St. Mungos hooked up to an I.V. Drip watching re-runs of The Brady Bunch, and other nauseating "feel so good I could puke" Family shows. I have no idea.

9. If he had escaped and rejoined the Death Eaters what do you think would have happened. What would have been the relationship with Voldemort and the others? Would he have had his desired place at Voldemort’s side? He would have been an also-ran. In other words, he'd still be in the crowd of those watching people like Snape, Lucius and Bellatrix. I don't think he would get much notice or attention, except in passing.

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Old June 7th, 2009, 7:34 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
I agree with the fact that he was a sociopath just like Bellatrix, only a little different. He was a better liar, in my opinion. Bella didn't try to hide her worship of Voldemort at the trial, but Barty knew his mother and father well enough that he played on their sympathy and it worked. But that just shows that it's "like father, like son." Barty Sr. was a lying hypocrite, too, still acting the part of a public servant and all the while his criminal son was at home being protected by Winky.

I personally don't believe that Barty Jr. was under imperious when the Longbottoms were attacked. Barty was only sorry he got caught and might have to go to Azkaban. The fact that he was still a "most faithful servant" years later shows that he was always a bad guy, or at least as bad as the worst of the Death Eaters.

He really wasn't trying to befriend Neville, either. He just wanted to make sure Harry was able to win the Triwizard Cup and get to the graveyard to see Voldemort. He just used Neville, plus it was a good smokescreen because no one would expect that he was Barty Jr. as long as he was semi-nice to Neville (which is debatable because Hermione had to stop Barty-Moody from showing Neville the Cruciatus Curse).

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon

Last edited by silver ink pot; June 7th, 2009 at 7:37 am.
Old June 15th, 2009, 6:40 pm
Third Year

Quote:

I just absolutely loved that! 'a much more useful welcome back present than reminescenes of how unpleasant Azkaban is.' After all, she should know better than to complain to Voldemort everything she went through in Azkaban. I wonder why she never went insane. Oh, well, she already was insane to begin with.

I think Barty Jr use more...common sense than Bella. I mean, if he got off, he would have gone to look for Voldemort, and be more useful that way. I don't know how going to Azkaban would have helped Volemort much, if at all.

I don't think Barty Sr was a hypocrite. Quite the contrary. I do admire him very much. He went about things the right way. You break the law, you pay, and very much. IMO, the only thing Crouch did that was wrong, was that he kept his son alive. After all, aren't things much worse than death?

He was probably upset that the Death Eaters never suffered for the Dark Lord. I mean, he was gone, everyone just went on, as if nothing happened, instead of getting him back in power, while he was under the Imperious Curse, and couldn't go to look for him. Again, it could be because he didn't want to be under the Imperious Curse, and if Voldemort cambe back to power, he would be free.

Old May 19th, 2011, 7:31 pm
Fourth Year

I know this thread is a while back but I'm posting anyways because of the fact that I read GoF again recently. I looked back and thought...wow! Barty Crouch Jr is one of the best villains in the series and whats amazing is the that he is only in one book.

The character is just plain evil. He tortured the Longbottoms as a teenager, had to be subdued for what...13 years with the Imperius curse to keep him from returning to Voldemort? He was twisted and yet a very cunning, powerful wizard. The idea of Crouch Sr being perhaps the top figure head in the fight against Voldemort and then his own son winds up being Voldemort's "most faithful" servant.

It would have been interesting if Barty escaped. I entirely understand and think it was fitting for Crouch to be kissed but if he had survived Barty and Bellatrix would have been Voldemort's two top lieutenants.

As for what he sought from Voldemort, I think that what Crouch wanted more was a close father figure. He says it himself, "I will be closer than a son to the Dark Lord".

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:22 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOG View Post
It would have been interesting if Barty escaped. I entirely understand and think it was fitting for Crouch to be kissed but if he had survived Barty and Bellatrix would have been Voldemort's two top lieutenants.
Perhaps that's why JKR got rid of Crouch Jr. at the end of GoF. (As well as Fudge wanting to silence him, that is.) Perhaps she felt that two fanatically devoted DEs would be too many. There are only a few DEs whose stories are given any kind of detail, and this was probably the most suitable place to tie up Barty's story.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old May 20th, 2011, 5:52 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOG View Post
The idea of Crouch Sr being perhaps the top figure head in the fight against Voldemort and then his own son winds up being Voldemort's "most faithful" servant.
To some extent, it's almost like the ultimate teenage rebellion... except that Barty Crouch Jr. was a True Believer and not just some teenager distancing himself from his father. What's truly chilling, imo, is the extent to which he "rebels" - not only in killing his father but in transfiguring him into a bone and then burying him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOG
Well, there's where I beg to differ. I don't think it's a fitting end for any character, and I think JKR's main purpose here is to illustrate the horror of it.

Despite what Crouch has done, McGonnagall is so furious that she loses control completely. The castle has been violated by the Dementor's presence. And, as Dumbledore indicates, Crouch cannot give testimony. And consequently, it takes another year to convince the Wizarding World that Voldemort truly has returned - during which time Fudge's Ministry mounts a propaganda campaign against Harry and Dumbledore.

These, I think, are very serious consequences to the Dementor's actions. It could be argued that the fight at the Ministry might never have occurred (and Sirius not been killed) if Voldemort had not been allowed to gather his strength in secret during that year.

So I would argue that it would have been much better for the Wizarding World as a whole if Crouch, Jr. had not been silenced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Perhaps that's why JKR got rid of Crouch Jr. at the end of GoF. (As well as Fudge wanting to silence him, that is.) Perhaps she felt that two fanatically devoted DEs would be too many. There are only a few DEs whose stories are given any kind of detail, and this was probably the most suitable place to tie up Barty's story.
That's a possibility. We haven't even met Bellatrix yet - except in the Pensieve - and perhaps JKR felt the need to clear the space for her. But to some extent, I think it's a pity, as I think Barty is the more interesting of these two fanatically devoted DEs.

I understand why Bella needs to be in the plot. She's a Black. She's Sirius' cousin. She's Draco's aunt. She tortured the Longbottoms (but then, so did Barty). And she wishes she were Voldy's woman (and he were her man. )

However, Barty is not merely disturbed and disturbing... he's actually quite cunning and brilliant. This is a guy who subdued Alastor Moody and pulled off a faithful imitation of him for almost a year, who was possibly the best DADA teacher in the series, who manipulated characters and situations toward the inevitable end - of getting Harry to that graveyard. He's not merely a powerful wizard with many skills, he's got some serious intellect.

Crouch is formidable in a way that I've never found Bellatrix. But I suppose you could be right that there's just not enough space for him to continue in the plot, and that Bellatrix is the super-loyal DE who needs to continue.

Another possibility, I think, is that young Mr. Crouch was sufficiently talented - and sufficiently demented - that had he continued (in a prominent role) he could potentially, imo, have sucked attention away not only from Bellatrix but even from Voldemort.

That would definitely not have worked for the plot.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 5:54 pm
First Year

1. Why did Barty join the Death Eaters? Out of normal teenage rebellion towards his father, who seemingly ignored his son? To punish Crouch Sr for failing to be a good father and husband? Did Barty fall in with the wrong crowd, was he really dedicated to the goals set by Voldemort or did he only join out of spite?

I think it was a mixture of both dedication to the goals and spite. I think he did want to go against his fathers morals and be rebellious.

2. When Barty escapes from Azkaban, we read that his mother has sacrificed herself for him. Was this really an idea by Mrs Crouch or do you think Barty manipulated her?

I think it probably was an idea by Mrs Crouch i believe she was closer to her son than his father was

3. Crouch Sr discovers his sons continuing loyalty towards Voldemort, he places Barty under the imperius curse with Winky to guard him. Crouch Sr continues his normal life and pretends that Barty is not there. Could Barty have changed if his father had tried to speak with him and discover why the Death Eaters were so appealing to the son of a ministry official? Or is/was his character just full hate and unchangeable?

I don't really think Barty could have changed if his father had tried and spoke with him. I get the impression that he and his father never got on particularly well.

4. As impostor Alastor Moody, Barty had a lot of contact with Harry Potter. During the year he took several risks, which could have lead to the discovery of his true identity.
What does it say of Barty’s character and devotion that he managed to keep his position even when he made a few slips? For example, the meeting with Harry Potter on the stairs after he had been visiting Snape’s office.

I don't think it really says much about Barty's character. Barty was impersonating somebody who many were scared of and somebody who was mad. He was also impersonating Dumbledore's friend. All of this just gave him advantages and made it easy for him not to be caught.

5. Barty shows a lot of interest in the fate of the Death Eaters, he wants to know if Voldemort forgave the Death Eaters or that he tortures them. This sounds rather strange if you suppose that they are on the same side. What is really behind the obsessive hate Barty has towards the Death Eaters?

Well he doesn't want those who have done little to help Voldemorts return to be welcomed back like they have helped him. He wants them to suffer for their lack of devotion and loyalty to the cause. He wants to be regarded as Voldemorts most loyal servent. I think he seeks acceptance from somebody such as Voldemort for what he has done for him.

6. Could it be that Barty sees Voldemort as his father figure and therefore desperately seeks acknowledgement from him, something Crouch Sr never gave him?

I think this seems right. I think he was ignored as he was growing up and seeks somebody to accept him.

7. Do you think Dumbledore might have suspected anything before the evening of the final task, or was Barty such a great impostor that he was never suspicious?

I think Dumbledore must have suspected something. He knew something was up with Quirrell and he knew Mad Eye well and therefore should have realised it wasn't him. With the mysterious happenings at Hogwarts such as Harry being entered into the tournament he must have had some suspicions

8. Barty receives the Kiss from a Dementor and is now, if still alive, a soulless human being. What has happened to him, is he dead, back in Azkaban or maybe at St Mungo’s?

Not sure. I would guess he would be dead. Voldemort maybe killed him for the failure of the third task and Voldemorts failure to kill Harry Potter.

9. If he had escaped and rejoined the Death Eaters what do you think would have happened. What would have been the relationship with Voldemort and the others? Would he have had his desired place at Voldemort’s side?

I don't think he would have the desired place at Voldemorts side because of Voldemorts failure to kill Harry Potter after the third task.

Old May 24th, 2011, 3:48 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
However, Barty is not merely disturbed and disturbing... he's actually quite cunning and brilliant. This is a guy who subdued Alastor Moody and pulled off a faithful imitation of him for almost a year, who was possibly the best DADA teacher in the series, who manipulated characters and situations toward the inevitable end - of getting Harry to that graveyard. He's not merely a powerful wizard with many skills, he's got some serious intellect.

Crouch is formidable in a way that I've never found Bellatrix. But I suppose you could be right that there's just not enough space for him to continue in the plot, and that Bellatrix is the super-loyal DE who needs to continue.

Another possibility, I think, is that young Mr. Crouch was sufficiently talented - and sufficiently demented - that had he continued (in a prominent role) he could potentially, imo, have sucked attention away not only from Bellatrix but even from Voldemort.

That would definitely not have worked for the plot.
I agree with you about how cunning and brilliant Barty Jr was and personally found it fascinating that he was such a good teacher and how he pulled the whole plan off until the very end - not to mention that his plan suceeded in getting Harry to the Graveyard with no one noticing and he would have been successful if not for the priori incantatem effect of Harry and LV's wands. What has never sat well with me was his declaration of innocence and then later contempt for other DEs who escaped punishment.

fave characters - Sirius, Harry, Remus, James and Lily

Everything is Cool - how are things with you? (Reel Big Fish)

I have the Strength to Endure and all the Love so Pure (The Ramones)

I don't wanna be buried in a Pet Sematary I don't want to live my life again (The Ramones)

I'm so happy. Cause today I found my friends. They're in my head (Nirvana)
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies