Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Barty Crouch Jr : Character Analysis

Old July 13th, 2007, 12:14 am
Unspeakable

Barty Crouch Jr : Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Barty Crouch Jr. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Barty Crouch Jr Character Analysis

1. Why did Barty join the Death Eaters? Out of normal teenage rebellion towards his father, who seemingly ignored his son? To punish Crouch Sr for failing to be a good father and husband? Did Barty fall in with the wrong crowd, was he really dedicated to the goals set by Voldemort or did he only join out of spite?

2. When Barty escapes from Azkaban, we read that his mother has sacrificed herself for him. Was this really an idea by Mrs Crouch or do you think Barty manipulated her?

3. Crouch Sr discovers his sons continuing loyalty towards Voldemort, he places Barty under the imperius curse with Winky to guard him. Crouch Sr continues his normal life and pretends that Barty is not there. Could Barty have changed if his father had tried to speak with him and discover why the Death Eaters were so appealing to the son of a ministry official? Or is/was his character just full hate and unchangeable?

4. As impostor Alastor Moody, Barty had a lot of contact with Harry Potter. During the year he took several risks, which could have lead to the discovery of his true identity.
What does it say of Barty’s character and devotion that he managed to keep his position even when he made a few slips? For example, the meeting with Harry Potter on the stairs after he had been visiting Snape’s office.

5. Barty shows a lot of interest in the fate of the Death Eaters, he wants to know if Voldemort forgave the Death Eaters or that he tortures them. This sounds rather strange if you suppose that they are on the same side. What is really behind the obsessive hate Barty has towards the Death Eaters?

6. Could it be that Barty sees Voldemort as his father figure and therefore desperately seeks acknowledgement from him, something Crouch Sr never gave him?

7. Do you think Dumbledore might have suspected anything before the evening of the final task, or was Barty such a great impostor that he was never suspicious?

8. Barty receives the Kiss from a Dementor and is now, if still alive, a soulless human being. What has happened to him, is he dead, back in Azkaban or maybe at St Mungo’s?

9. If he had escaped and rejoined the Death Eaters what do you think would have happened. What would have been the relationship with Voldemort and the others? Would he have had his desired place at Voldemort’s side?

Old September 17th, 2007, 12:20 am
Second Year

Re: Barty Crouch Jr : Character Analysis

1. Why did Barty join the Death Eaters? Out of normal teenage rebellion towards his father, who seemingly ignored his son? To punish Crouch Sr for failing to be a good father and husband? Did Barty fall in with the wrong crowd, was he really dedicated to the goals set by Voldemort or did he only join out of spite?

I think he joined the Death Eaters out of a mixture of rebellion and true interest.

2. When Barty escapes from Azkaban, we read that his mother has sacrificed herself for him. Was this really an idea by Mrs Crouch or do you think Barty manipulated her?

I think it was Mrs. Crouch's idea because Crouch Sr. put his son in Azkaban without hesitation.

3. Crouch Sr discovers his sons continuing loyalty towards Voldemort, he places Barty under the imperius curse with Winky to guard him. Crouch Sr continues his normal life and pretends that Barty is not there. Could Barty have changed if his father had tried to speak with him and discover why the Death Eaters were so appealing to the son of a ministry official? Or is/was his character just full hate and unchangeable?

I don't think that's the kind of thing you can talk out. They each betrayed each other in the ultimate way.

4. As impostor Alastor Moody, Barty had a lot of contact with Harry Potter. During the year he took several risks, which could have lead to the discovery of his true identity.
What does it say of Barty’s character and devotion that he managed to keep his position even when he made a few slips? For example, the meeting with Harry Potter on the stairs after he had been visiting Snape’s office.

I guess it just means he is loyal to Voldemort. It doesn't really prove him brave or anything, because if he failed, he'd be punished by Voldemort, so that's something to fear. The ministry capturing him and upsetting Voldemort are equally scary things, from his point of view.

5. Barty shows a lot of interest in the fate of the Death Eaters, he wants to know if Voldemort forgave the Death Eaters or that he tortures them. This sounds rather strange if you suppose that they are on the same side. What is really behind the obsessive hate Barty has towards the Death Eaters?

Again, it just shows his loyalty to Voldemort. He believes he is the most faithful servant, so he resents the other Death Eaters for not being as loyal as him. He is angry with the other Death Eaters for denying their loyalty to Voldemort.

6. Could it be that Barty sees Voldemort as his father figure and therefore desperately seeks acknowledgement from him, something Crouch Sr never gave him?

Good connection. I never thought about that before. Yeah, that sounds right to me.

7. Do you think Dumbledore might have suspected anything before the evening of the final task, or was Barty such a great impostor that he was never suspicious?

This is a good question. I would assume he knew something, because he was such a great wizard. But, he didn't seem to act on these suspicions. That could have helped out things quite a bit. So, I'm still undecided on this one.

8. Barty receives the Kiss from a Dementor and is now, if still alive, a soulless human being. What has happened to him, is he dead, back in Azkaban or maybe at St Mungo’s?

This is also an excellent question. I assume the soulless body is just killed and buried. Living soulless sounds pretty horrible.

9. If he had escaped and rejoined the Death Eaters what do you think would have happened. What would have been the relationship with Voldemort and the others? Would he have had his desired place at Voldemort’s side?

I think he would have been rewarded like second ranking next to Voldemort or something. He played a huge part in bring Voldemort back.

But, I'm not sure if Voldemort would have blamed him for Harry's escape though. Or maybe Voldemort would have been upset that Crouch Jr somehow let Cedric go with Harry. Of course Cedric wasn't really a problem, but Voldemort may still resent him for the potential risk of Cedric helping Harry escape, or Cedric escaping and telling the public what happened.

"Listening to the news! Again?"
"Well, it changes every day, you see."
Old September 21st, 2007, 2:37 pm
Fourth Year

I think it was a combination of all of these. He probably wanted attention from his father, and felt he had to go to extreme lengths to be noticed. This was probably aided by his "friends" in the Death Eaters, and Voldemort himself, and eventually found that he agreed with what Voldemort was saying and doing and went along with it.

I honestly think it was Mrs. Crouch's own decision to help Barty out.

I don't think he would have been able to change at that point in his life, and his father made it worse. He already hated him for putting him in Azkaban and not letting him find his master, and no amount of therepy would have helped him (or his father, for that matter) change his ways.

It shows that Barty is reckless and will do anything for the Dark Lord. This is also seen in the courtroom scene in the Pensive with Bellatrix. Even if Barty had been caught and sent back to Azkaban before he followed through with his task, he would have felt that he had done "the right thing" in whatever he had done to get himself caught.

Barty feels that he is Voldemort's most loyal servant, and he knows that Voldemort is not at all happy with the ones that have stayed out of Azkaban. Barty is vindictive because he has spent so much time imprisoned in the name of Voldemor.

Definately.

I think Dumbledore sort of guessed that it was someone impersonating Moody(if he was friends with the real Moddy, we would hope that he would figure it out.), but wasn't entirely sure who it was or why they were doing it so he just let it go.

He's probably alive in either Azkaban or St. Mungo's

I think that he would have been honored as Voldemort's most loyal servant, and the other Death Eaters would resent that and try to kill him or something. He would definately have his place at Voldemort's side, even if Harry had gotten away, because it's not his fault that he escaped. Although maybe I'm being optimistic about Voldemort here.

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old September 22nd, 2007, 3:13 am
I want to believe

I don't think he joined out of spite or attention, because then I think he may have tried to back out of it like Regulus if it was something he didn't truly believe in. I think he liked the idea of having power and was prepared to do anything necessary to have it. And I think he may have held some pureblood supremacy ideas.

I think it could have gone either way. Mrs. Crouch may have been willing to do anything for her son so she sacrificed herself; or she could have felt the same contempt for young Barty as her husband so Barty could have forced her to take his place.

3. Could Barty have changed if his father had tried to speak with him and discover why the Death Eaters were so appealing to the son of a ministry official? Or is/was his character just full hate and unchangeable?
I don't think he could have changed Barty even if he'd talked to him. I got the impression that Barty was too far gone into the Death Eater persona to be talked out of it. I think he's too full of hate to change at this point.

4. What does it say of Barty’s character and devotion that he managed to keep his position even when he made a few slips? For example, the meeting with Harry Potter on the stairs after he had been visiting Snape’s office.
I'd say he's pretty devoted, and he's good at recovering after making a mistake.

I think he just wants to be better than the other Death Eaters, and to be Voldemort's favorite. If I recall correctly, he boasts about being the most loyal of Voldemort's followers at the end of GoF. I think he sort of considers the other Death Eaters as competitors for Voldemort's favor. I'm not sure he really hates them, but I do think he considers them threats as competitors.

I don't think he considers Voldemort a father figure, but I think he likely considers Voldemort as someone who can give him power as well as acknowledgement.

I don't know. On one hand, Dumbledore is a very intuitive person and I'd think he'd notice that Moody wasn't really Moody. But on the other, Dumbledore didn't seem to show or express any specific suspicious towards Barty until the very end. We're also told that Barty studied Moody very closely, I believe, so that he could fool anyone who knew Moody well.

I guess he could have been placed at St. Mungo's or possibly Azkaban. Though it's also likely that he could have died shortly after being Kissed. After all, as is said in the Matrix, "the body cannot live without the mind", so perhaps he died due to the shock of losing his soul.

I'm sure he would have vied for the role of Voldemort's right hand man. He likely would have still viewed the other Death Eaters as competitors, but I'm sure he'd have cooperated with them if Voldemort ordered it. If he'd have been present in the events of the final battle in DH, he'd likely have been fighting alongside the other Death Eaters.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 22nd, 2007, 8:13 pm
First Year

I think initially, he probably developed an interest in Lord Voldemort out of teenage rebellion, but actually joining the Death Eaters is a different thing. He must have been aware that it wasn't just something you do on a whim. I think his actions throughout the book show that he was indeed dedicated to the goals set by Voldemort.

I think that it was Mrs Crouch's idea. We can see how utterly devastated she is about seeing her son being sent to Azkaban and I tend to think that she was also convinced by his pleas in the courtroom, possibly thinking that he could change and regrets what he had done. I think a mother would go to extreme lengths to save her child even if it had done awful things in the first place.

It's really difficult to say. I don't think it would have changed much if Crouch Sr had sat down and talked to Barty about his beliefs and why he was so convinced that being on Voldemorts side was the right thing. I am under the impression that a). Barty was far too convinced of the ideals transported by Voldemort and the Death Eaters to be talked out of it and also b). that there was too much dislike and animosity between himself and his father to ever develop a normal, loving father - son relationship.

It certainly shows a level of devotion to the cause that is rivaled by few other Death Eaters during the series.

I think that there could be a certain degree of jealousy here. Not in a romantic sort of way, but I think that Barty was indeed very eager to be seen as Voldemort's most faithful and devoted servant and saw the other Death Eaters as potential competitors for this spot.

I think so. It would also fit in nicely with his eagerness for proving the extend of his loyalty to Voldemort, which at times reminded me of a son trying to gain his father's love and approval.

I think he did suspect something.

I think he would either be dead or in Azkaban. I can't personally see him in St. Mungo's.

I don't think he would have had a place at Voldemort's side, as I don't think Voldemort would allow this for anybody, I highly doubt he would ever view anyone as being on an equal level as he himself was. I think that Barty would have been in a simialar place as Bellatrix, constantly trying to gain Voldemort's approval.

Last edited by Quigwid; September 22nd, 2007 at 8:17 pm.
Old September 27th, 2007, 12:36 am
Fifth Year

The only thing that worries me about Barty is, why he told Harry about the 'unforgivable Curses'? The only conclusion I can make is that he wanted to give him a 'fighting chance'.....or, more sporting for his master?

Old September 27th, 2007, 7:09 pm
Second Year

Well, he did show the entire class the 3 Unforgivable Curses, but I think that was part of his act as the gruff teacher who feels you need to know about this !

What I'm curious about though is why he taught Harry specifically how to resist the Imperius curse. Teaching Dumbledore's protégé certainly made him more believable as Moody, but I wonder if there isn't more to it, as I'm sure he knew Voldemort would attempt to put Harry under the Imperius curse at one point or another. Maybe he had a grudge against the Imperius (understandably enough) and didn't want the great Harry-Voldemort duel to end so cheaply ?

"Remember the part where you weren't talking ? Let's do that again."

À consommer avec modération.
Old September 28th, 2007, 3:38 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

I think that Barty teaching about the unforgivable curses was just a part of his disguise. I am not sure if the real Moody would have taught it, but Barty obviously liked to take risks. He must have known that Dumbledore always kept an eye on Harry, so he thought the students about how to resist the imperius. Had he not done that and only showed how to perform the curses he might have drawn suspicion.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old March 5th, 2008, 3:47 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Still it would have been much easier for him and Voldemort if Harry didn't know about the curses and also didn't know how to get rid of them. I always had the feeling that it was Barty!Moody who convinced Dumbledore that the students need to know the Unforgivables, but that would go against my theory above.

The End of the Dream.
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
Still it would have been much easier for him and Voldemort if Harry didn't know about the curses and also didn't know how to get rid of them. I always had the feeling that it was Barty!Moody who convinced Dumbledore that the students need to know the Unforgivables, but that would go against my theory above.
It's a bit conflicting I agree there. You wouldn't suppose that teaching Harry how to resist the imperius curse is something the enemy wants. It could have been a great asset to Fake Barty and Voldemort if they had control over Harry.

But I've been thinking about that Dumbledore was someone who wanted to prepare Harry for what lies ahead, preparing him for the final battle with Voldemort. Eventually Harry would have had to learn about the Unforgivable curses anyway, so that's why Dumbledore might have suggested or tolerated what Barty Crouch Jr was doing. Eventually Harry and the other students would have come across the curses anyway.

Old March 7th, 2008, 12:58 am
Second Year

I think teaching Harry how to resist the Imperius curse _ whether the idea came from Dumbledore or Barty himself _ was just the very In-Character thing to do. I can really picture the old war vet Moody wanting to teach kids how to fight evil and Unforgivable Curses, especially Harry, who is supposed to be this great symbol of the triumph of love over evil.
I also think it might be for a very personal reason ; maybe Barty just sort of dislikes the Imperius curse, and would just hate it if Voldemort somehow used it to kill his nemesis. Wouldn't that be sooo anticlimactic ? Besides, Daddy Voldy is the strongestest wizard evar, he doesn't need the Imperius curse to beat some stupid kid !

Old March 7th, 2008, 11:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappy28 View Post
I think teaching Harry how to resist the Imperius curse _ whether the idea came from Dumbledore or Barty himself _ was just the very In-Character thing to do. I can really picture the old war vet Moody wanting to teach kids how to fight evil and Unforgivable Curses, especially Harry, who is supposed to be this great symbol of the triumph of love over evil.
I also think it might be for a very personal reason ; maybe Barty just sort of dislikes the Imperius curse, and would just hate it if Voldemort somehow used it to kill his nemesis. Wouldn't that be sooo anticlimactic ? Besides, Daddy Voldy is the strongestest wizard evar, he doesn't need the Imperius curse to beat some stupid kid !
I think it's possible that the real Alastor Moody would teach about the Unforgivable curses, but I imagine he would have done so to Seven Years.

I don't really think that Barty would go against the wishes of Voldemort, he wanted to become his second in command (more or less hinted at it) so in my view he wouldn't teach resisting the Imperius curse to Harry to spite Voldemort.

Old March 8th, 2008, 1:51 am
Second Year

What dear Voldemort doesn't know won't hurt him. So yes, besides my screwed-up interpretation of the character (too much fangirlism probably), I think the real Moody would have paid a lot of attention to Harry, regardless his year. Just because he's Harry _ might as well toughen him up !

Old March 8th, 2008, 7:25 pm
She Who Walks Behind

But Barty didn't seem like the type of man who was able to hide secrets well, a bit legilimency and Voldy could have find out IMO.

Barty was 19 when he was convicted for torturing the Longbottom's so he must have been in school with the Marauders only a few years below them. What House was he in? And could he have been in the DE gang around the Lestranges and Snape?

The End of the Dream.
Old March 8th, 2008, 7:30 pm
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Barty was 19 when he was convicted for torturing the Longbottom's so he must have been in school with the Marauders only a few years below them. What House was he in? And could he have been in the DE gang around the Lestranges and Snape?
Interesting question. The fact that he was so scared during the trial Harry watched really told me that it was the first time he had done wrong, and he was terrified of getting in trouble. He struck me as the kid who was always shifting between groups. He never really wanted to get associated with the "bad kids," like Snape and the Lestranges, but he agreed with them. It was probably fear of his father more than anything else that kept him away from them in his school years.

I imagined him being in Gryffindor, but in a Pettigrew-type case. He wasn't really fit for it, but he did it to make his father happy, while Pettigrew did it because his friends were in there. He always had the makings of a Slytherin, even if he pretended not to show it.

Old March 8th, 2008, 7:51 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I thought I'd already posted on this thread before...I certainly remember answering the questions. Perhaps it was pre-DH.

I think a lot of it was rebellion towards it father for having cared about his career more than his family. I think he would have been a naturally rebellious teenager. But that doesn't lead someone to kill and torture and actually enjoy it, which I think in the end Barty Crouch Jnr did. I think at Hogwarts because he was the rebellious type (which I can only speculate), he attracted the wrong kind of people and that was how he came to get involved with the Death Eaters.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old March 8th, 2008, 9:32 pm

Quote:
I am pretty sure he might have been either in Ravenclaw (which I would sort his father in) or Slytherin. I can't see him as a Gryffindor, but pretty much everyone wouldn't see Peter Pettigrew as a Gryffindor and he still was one. So maybe Barty was a Griffindor too. But Slytherin remains the most logical house for me.

I think that Barty might have been friends with Regulus, which could work age wise. Regulus as a true Black would have had connections with Lucius via Narcissa and Bellatrix as they are cousins. So I imagine Barty was introduced by Regulus and was impressed by this powerful group of students. They would have encouraged his rebellious attitude towards his father and eventually introduce him to Voldemort.

Old March 9th, 2008, 5:52 am
Second Year

Quote:
But Barty didn't seem like the type of man who was able to hide secrets well, a bit legilimency and Voldy could have find out IMO.
Well I don't know. One year undercover at Hogwarts without being discovered ; what if someone (like Snape...) had tried to use Legilimency on him ? I think he may have had some Occlumency skills, though certainly no match for Voldemort.

As for his house, I'd put him in Slytherin, with a strong Ravenclaw tendancy (which is where I would sort his father, too) and some Hufflepuff thrown in. Likewise, I've always imagined him as being friends with Regulus. I don't think he would have been around the Lestrange gang at school, though we don't know Rodolphus/Rabastan's ages. Perhaps a bit too young. I like to think it was Regulus who introduced him to them.

Old March 9th, 2008, 11:56 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
Interesting question. The fact that he was so scared during the trial Harry watched really told me that it was the first time he had done wrong, and he was terrified of getting in trouble. He struck me as the kid who was always shifting between groups. He never really wanted to get associated with the "bad kids," like Snape and the Lestranges, but he agreed with them. It was probably fear of his father more than anything else that kept him away from them in his school years.
I felt so sorry for him during the trial and cursed them for throwing him into Azkaban. How could be such a poor boy responsible for such horrible things?
But then in the end, when it turns out what he was planning and the evilness behind this plan and his full support of Voldemort beyond measures. He was even referred at most loyal by Voldemort.
If he was playing the poor innocent kids during the trial then he was really good. Or or did he change his mind later to the worse and now fully supported the ideology of Voldemort?

I'm not sure about not interacting with the bad guys, like people pointed out above, was he quite rebellious and never really got along with his father and could have hang around with them to annoy him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I think that Barty might have been friends with Regulus, which could work age wise. Regulus as a true Black would have had connections with Lucius via Narcissa and Bellatrix as they are cousins. So I imagine Barty was introduced by Regulus and was impressed by this powerful group of students. They would have encouraged his rebellious attitude towards his father and eventually introduce him to Voldemort.
Ah that's a great theory and it could work out. Barty's father was a higher ranked person within the ministry so he might get to know Lucius via him too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappy28 View Post
Well I don't know. One year undercover at Hogwarts without being discovered ; what if someone (like Snape...) had tried to use Legilimency on him ? I think he may have had some Occlumency skills, though certainly no match for Voldemort.
One year undercover?

The End of the Dream.
Old March 10th, 2008, 1:38 am
First Year

The answer could be any or all of the above. Possibly a mixture. I think a lot of it had to do with his father; it makes me wonder exactly how terrible their relationship was and how long it had been that way. Barty wanted to go entirely against his father and all that he supposedly stood for, but at the same time, they seem to have similarities. They are both strong characters, determined, misguided, stubborn...

There is always the possibility of change. Personally, I think Barty was too far gone for talking to have done much good, but there is always that chance. That's one of the reasons I see Crouch Sr's decision to put him under the curse as particularly horrible. He left no room at all for hope.

It would be hard to describe Voldemort as a "father figure" under any circumstances, but I understand. I think that because Barty couldn't get the acknowledgement and praise (and ideals? Support? Friends?) he needed from his father (his life in general?), he had to look elsewhere for them. So he tried to gain what he needed through a life following Voldemort.

I'm sure Dumbledore suspected something, but he couldn't have figured out everything. If he had known what grave danger Harry (and everyone else) was in because of Barty's presence, he would've undoubtedly done something about it. The question is, how much did he know?

An excellent question. What happens to anyone who has suffered a Dementor's Kiss? The most merciful solution would be to kill them, I'd think. There is seemingly no hope for them, so St. Mungo's wouldn't do much good. Whatever the usual solution would be, would they do the same for Barty?

Voldemort doesn't want anyone by his side. He wants a loyal horde that does whatever he wants them to do. If you please him, or do something he likes and well, then that only proves you're still somewhat useful. Maybe he'll kill you last. If Voldemort accepted Barty at all, he would only be, in Voldemort's eyes, another addition to the horde.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies