Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

View Poll Results: Which of Neville's actions was the most awesome?
Neville organising the resistence. 73 19.11%
Neville asking the Carrows how much Muggle blood they have. 15 3.93%
Neville fighting the battle according to his strengths. 14 3.66%
Neville telling Voldemort that he would join him when hell freezes over. 153 40.05%
Neville killing Nagini. 105 27.49%
Neville understanding the Room of Requirement. 9 2.36%
Other. 13 3.40%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 27th, 2007, 3:54 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Re: Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyDreamsOn View Post
The Neville moment was one of the most amazing and emotional ones in the book... Gosh, I love him so much.

When he runs at Voldemort, defenceless without his wand... then yells "Dumbledore's Army!", even though all hope seems to be lost. He still fights for what's right when the good seems to have been defeated. Such a true Gryffindor. I couldn't be more proud of him.

Oh boy, now I'm getting all teary-eyed just thinking about it.
Raise your hand if you thought after SS/PS that Neville would pull that off. You in the back, yeah, JK - you put your hand down - you wrote this

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliauthor View Post
heck yeah! And when he got a new wand when his dad's broke, I think that helped.
This is a fine point, for sure. That probably gave him a bit more skill. His confidence was already on the rise prior - after all, he was at the MoM chasing Sirius and Voldy!

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2007, 4:03 am
Ordo Lebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Raise your hand if you thought after SS/PS that Neville would pull that off. You in the back, yeah, JK - you put your hand down - you wrote this
During Philosopher's Stone, I thought Neville was only going to be a sort of... extra. *feels ashamed* Oh well, he's been one of my favourites since he became one of the major characters and we got to know him better - I feel we can all connect with Neville in some way, which is why he's such a loveable character.

Oh, I just can't wait to see Matthew Lewis chop Nagini's head off! I love Matthew, he does such a good job as our favourite herbologist.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old August 27th, 2007, 4:10 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

*slinks out of her snarky refuge to post in other character threads*

Neville absolutely took my breath away in DH.
I've taken great pleasure watching his gradual transformation and have been rooting for him to reach new heights for ages, but he exceeded my expectations completely.

It's interesting how the underground resistance Neville leads grows larger and bolder than the D.A. ever became. This is partly due to the increased danger, and partly due to Neville's own persistence, IMO.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old August 27th, 2007, 4:14 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
That's something I hadn't thought about before, but it's a very good point. Neville hadn't "won" the wand from his father, so it wouldn't respond to him like his own would. Though he did a lot of improving in OotP when he was still using his father's wand, I suspect that he did even better when he had his own.
Yep, after the wand thing was explained, more stuff started making sense: Ron's wand was Bills and he had some troubles before his new one, etc. I think it also has sto do with faith in yourself. With the elder wand, it could be a normal wand, but when the bearer thinks "OH! I'm invincible!" it responds to that.

Neville joined the DA and got help and started taking pride in himself! I am such a Neville fangirl. I wonder if JKR had him marry anyone...lol

My patronus is a nightingale
Here Lies Dobby, a free elf
In memory of President Gordon B. Hinckley

I'm off to wikipedia!
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:01 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
That's something I hadn't thought about before, but it's a very good point. Neville hadn't "won" the wand from his father, so it wouldn't respond to him like his own would. Though he did a lot of improving in OotP when he was still using his father's wand, I suspect that he did even better when he had his own.
It always irritated me that with all this talk of "the wand choosing the wizard", Neville had to make do with his father's old one, which was probably completely unsuited to him. I think the new wand was part of the reason for his transformation, and the increased self-confidence he got from the DA and surviving the fight at the Ministry was the other part.

Old August 27th, 2007, 10:31 am
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
It always irritated me that with all this talk of "the wand choosing the wizard", Neville had to make do with his father's old one, which was probably completely unsuited to him. I think the new wand was part of the reason for his transformation, and the increased self-confidence he got from the DA and surviving the fight at the Ministry was the other part.
I agree with the wand part. I actually wonder why his gran never got him a proper wand when he was 11. Was this due to her wish he might become like his dad? Or didn't they have much money?

I sort of can see his gran telling Neville all the awesome magic his dad had done with this wand, which would even complex Neville more.

Quote:
Raise your hand if you thought after SS/PS that Neville would pull that off.
I didn't really think till OotP it but I certainly hoped it. I already was happy that it was Neville who brought Gryffindor the decisive points for winning the Housecup, I thought that was a nice touch from Dumbledore, and a first hint of Nevilles potential.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:38 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
I agree with the wand part. I actually wonder why his gran never got him a proper wand when he was 11. Was this due to her wish he might become like his dad? Or didn't they have much money?
I think it must be the first reason, because both his parents as aurors must have made money, it was dangerous job so they must had at least a decent payment. Don't think that they were rich but certainly not poor enough to not be able to buy a new wand. So Neville must have had some inheritance however small it was. Even the Weasleys could afford wants and we never saw any signs of Neville being very poor. So I guess Neville's grandmother just thought it the best wand in the world and if it worked for her son it should work for his.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:42 am
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesHPfan View Post
I think it must be the first reason, because both his parents as aurors must have made money, it was dangerous job so they must had at least a decent payment. Don't think that they were rich but certainly not poor enough to not be able to buy a new wand. So Neville must have had some inheritance however small it was. Even the Weasleys could afford wants and we never saw any signs of Neville being very poor. So I guess Neville's grandmother just thought it the best wand in the world and if it worked for her son it should work for his.
I agree with that. I might also think that maybe the Ministry provided the Longbottoms with some sort of regular payement due to invalidation of parents.

Gah, I love Augusta post DH but honestly due to her stubborn wish to convert Neville in Frank II she had the poor boy using a wand that wasn't suited for him for over 5 years.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:09 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
I agree with that. I might also think that maybe the Ministry provided the Longbottoms with some sort of regular payement due to invalidation of parents.
You would hope that the Ministry would have so much proper feeling towards former employees that put their lives in danger for the Magical world. However I seriously wonder about it, doesn't seem something Fudge would do. But maybe I am too much of a cynic when it comes to the Ministry.

I hope that Neville did get some money, they could/should also have paid for St Mungo's which wouldn't be cheap with the years they have been there.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old August 27th, 2007, 3:46 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Maybe Augusta was afraid of what Neville would produce with a proper wand? He's a late bloomer, after all, and they thought he'd be a squib. It's a chicken-and-egg argument over whether they thinking he was a squib suppressed his magic, or whether he was a late bloomer, so they thought he might have been a squib.

That being said, I do think Augusta finally realized around end of OoTP and beginning of HBP that she had a supremely talented grandson - just not one with the same talents as her son and daughter-in-law.

I also think that seeing his folks like that suppressed his skills until he was old enough to realize that his folks were people to be proud of, not ashamed of.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old August 27th, 2007, 10:43 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I agree with the wand part. I actually wonder why his gran never got him a proper wand when he was 11. Was this due to her wish he might become like his dad? Or didn't they have much money? I sort of can see his gran telling Neville all the awesome magic his dad had done with this wand, which would even complex Neville more.
I feel like Mrs. Longbottom was the type who never wanted to waste anything. If you have perfectly good robes/books/wands or whatever, what's the point of getting a new one? I was actually surprised that Neville didn't show up in sixth year with his mother's wand. I suppose at that point, Mrs. Longbottom felt that Neville had earned something new for himself.

Old August 27th, 2007, 10:48 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Maybe Augusta was afraid of what Neville would produce with a proper wand? He's a late bloomer, after all, and they thought he'd be a squib. It's a chicken-and-egg argument over whether they thinking he was a squib suppressed his magic, or whether he was a late bloomer, so they thought he might have been a squib.
I suspect that the pressure Neville was under to prove that he was magical was more than enough to suppress his magic! I guess it was a vicious circle, especially when his relatives chose such dubious methods to try and frighten a bit of magic out of him! Poor Neville!

Old August 27th, 2007, 10:57 pm
Ordo Lebes

Quote:
I suspect that the pressure Neville was under to prove that he was magical was more than enough to suppress his magic! I guess it was a vicious circle, especially when his relatives chose such dubious methods to try and frighten a bit of magic out of him! Poor Neville!
I agree. I think it was the pressure that supressed his magic; in class, when he's under pressure or feeling unconfident, he doesn't perform well. So I'd say that if his family had been a bit more supportive and believed in him, he would have shown his true colours much earlier.

Then again, I'm highly biased, because I love Neville, and I dislike his grandmother. She only believes in him once he's practically died fighting. She should have been much more supportive, in my opinion. If he'd been told something like "Neville, you are like your parent, you just need to see it for yourself", he would have gotten the courage he needed and he would have shown them all how powerful he really could be much earlier.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:01 pm
Member of the Order

I think it's very telling that Neville thrives with such teachers as Lupin, Sprout and Harry - all of whom had a patient and encouraging method of teaching. We all have different learning styles, and Neville just doesn't respond well to pressure. I thought it was very moving to see how he learned to believe in himself, mostly through being part of the DA.

Old August 27th, 2007, 11:09 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I think it's very telling that Neville thrives with such teachers as Lupin, Sprout and Harry - all of whom had a patient and encouraging method of teaching. We all have different learning styles, and Neville just doesn't respond well to pressure. I thought it was very moving to see how he learned to believe in himself, mostly through being part of the DA.
He also does much better when people expect him to do a good job. For instance, Lupin showed Neville that he had full confidence in his boggart fighting abilities, and he managed it on his first try. In DH, I'm sure that the other students looked towards him as a seventh year friend of Harry Potter and a former DA member to take leadership - so he did.

Old August 27th, 2007, 11:17 pm
Member of the Order

It's an excellent example of self-fulfilling prophecy. When people expect Neville to be a Squib, a clumsy idiot, or a victim of bullying, that's just what he is. But when people believe in him, he can be a leader, a hero, and a true Gryffindor!

Old August 27th, 2007, 11:29 pm
I want to believe

First let me just say that Neville is made of awesome.

1) We know Neville’s upbringing (like Harry’s) hasn’t been a bed of roses. How have Neville’s formative years with his grand mother and extended family influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents hadn’t been tortured into madness?
Neville's upbringing seemed to make him kind of shy and a bit withdrawn, I think. Also, I think his lack of self-confidence might have been a product of his upbringing and due to the fact that he wasn't (at first) very good at magic. But now he has been able to overcome his less than ideal upbringing and become a great wizard in his own right. Had his parents been around I think he might have had more confidence maybe.

2) Neville evolved into a remarkable leader of Dumbledore's Army and a true Gryffindor, do you think his previous incompetence was due to lack of confidence? What events in the series allowed him to gain the confidence he needed?
I believe it was due to both a lack of confidence and a lack of experience/training. There were several events that allowed him to gain confidence.
  • Having DADA with Lupin, who vouched on his behalf when Snape tried to put him down. Lupin was the first DADA teacher who really knew his stuff, and he was an excellent teacher.
  • Being in the DA in OotP, where Harry showed great skills as a teacher and as a leader. Gaining even more skill in defensive magic, being encouraged, and being part of something that was fighting against the forces that maimed his parents likely helped Neville gain more confidence.
  • The DoM fight also helped Neville in my opinion, as he was placed in a real dangerous situation for the first time.

3) How does the power of love manifest itself in Neville's actions throughout DH?
Yes I think it does. If he didn't love his parents and his gran as much as he did, I don't think he'd have fought as well. Also, his love for his friends played a part in it as well.

4) Neville is one of the few characters whose profession we learn. What do you think of his choice to teach? What qualities would make Neville a good teacher?
I think it suits him very well, and in fact I had been expecting him to go on to teach Herbology. It was clear that he had a talent in Herbology, so it seems fitting that he should teach it at Hogwarts. Neville does make a good teacher, I believe, because he a) knows his subject well and b) is a very patient person in general. I'm sure he's probably good at explaining his subject as well.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:45 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
It's an excellent example of self-fulfilling prophecy. When people expect Neville to be a Squib, a clumsy idiot, or a victim of bullying, that's just what he is. But when people believe in him, he can be a leader, a hero, and a true Gryffindor!
I very much agree here - the confidence begat more confidence. Holding Neville out a window wasn't the best way of coaxing magic out of Neville.

Fine point also about the type of teacher Neville thrived under. He even did well under Crouch Jr, too - though he was certainly manipulating Neville, Neville did learn from him, too.

Old August 28th, 2007, 5:28 am
Fifth Year

1) We know Neville’s upbringing (like Harry’s) hasn’t been a bed of roses. How have Neville’s formative years with his grand mother and extended family influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents hadn’t been tortured into madness?

I think that Neville's grandmother was a big influence on who Neville was at the beginning of the series. Up until he started at Hogwarts he would probably have spent every day with his grandmother from when he was very young. From the books we can figure out that his grandmother was quite a formidable person - i'm still laughing at the idea of her being on the run! Living with his grandmother could have stifled any of Neville's confidence.

Dumbledore said to Snape that sometimes he thought they sorted too soon. In Neville's case I think the hat saw something of Neville that we didn't see until later books. Although, in PS/SS we did catch a glimpse of the person Neville could become when he stood up to the trio before they went to find the stone. I think that as Neville became more included through the DA that he developed more confidence in himself through the support of friends. Before that Neville hadn't really been included in anything, leading him to have a pretty isolated life within Hogwarts.

2) Neville evolved into a remarkable leader of Dumbledore's Army and a true Gryffindor, do you think his previous incompetence was due to lack of confidence? What events in the series allowed him to gain the confidence he needed?

I think that Neville at the beginning of the series lacked a lot of confidence, probably as a result of living with his grandmother and it could also have been to do with his parents being tortured also.

The event that probably kick started Neville's confidence was when he asked Ginny to the Yule Ball. Before this he may have been more isolated by his fellow pupils. Getting to know Ginny at the Yule Ball allowed for him to be included in the DA, which was what ultimately helped to develop Neville's confidence. Also Neville probably had the Gryffindor sense of honour, and with Harry, Ron & Hermione all missing from Hogwarts during DH, he probably felt that it was his position to keep the DA alive within Hogwarts.

3) How does the power of love manifest itself in Neville's actions throughout DH?

I think the fact that Neville was included by the trio throughout OOTP & HBP that it made him feel more confident and included. Love is a major theme in the series - we've seen what happens to people if they grow up with little or no love. For Neville, he felt at least affection from Luna, Ginny, Ron, Hermione & Harry, and he felt that they believed in him. When someone believes in you it can and will give you more confidence.

4) Neville is one of the few characters whose profession we learn. What do you think of his choice to teach? What qualities would make Neville a good teacher?

I think it was a great choice for Neville. He has had the experience of teachers who understand him and those who are not willing to understand him, therefore giving him a good perspective of what a great teacher can be. I think Neville would be a brilliant teacher at Hogwarts because he has the experience of being isolated within the school and also of not being a very good student. I think that from this experience he will be able to educate and encourage Hogwarts students in a very productive way.

Because of Edward Cullen...I'm staying single until I find a vampire
Old August 31st, 2007, 3:43 pm
Animaga terpsichore

Just like Harry, he didn't have parents for most of his life. because of this he became a stronger person. I believe he could have become the same person if his parents hadn't been tortured. He would have probably believed in himself more than he did while growing up.

He never showed confidence in his first 3-4 years at Hogwarts. When it came down to going with Harry to the Department of Mysteries, he rose above and beyond the challenge to help. And in book 7, he showed so much bravery fighting in the final battle and killing off Nagini.

He knew that his true friends at Hogwarts loved him.

I think his choice is brilliant. It was one of the few subjects in school that he excelled in while he was at Hogwarts. One definate quality that makes him a good teacher is that he likes helping others.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies