Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

View Poll Results: Which of Neville's actions was the most awesome?
Neville organising the resistence. 73 19.11%
Neville asking the Carrows how much Muggle blood they have. 15 3.93%
Neville fighting the battle according to his strengths. 14 3.66%
Neville telling Voldemort that he would join him when hell freezes over. 153 40.05%
Neville killing Nagini. 105 27.49%
Neville understanding the Room of Requirement. 9 2.36%
Other. 13 3.40%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 7th, 2007, 5:30 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Re: Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
He wasn't that bad actually. He had Exceeds Expectations in Charms and DADA, Outstanding in Herbology (something Ron didn't achieve) and Acceptable in Transfigurations.
Potions was most likely his one bad subject (but honestly who likes chemistry anyway ) and this was very likely due to Snapes poor teaching methods.
I like chemistry!

Neville was a decent student, yes. I was very happy with the continuation of his growth into a leader in DH. He proved to be a leader and a very brave kid. He made his grandmother proud (and his grandmother made all grandmothers proud, too )

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2007, 6:01 pm
Mouse

Actually an interesting point on Potions, without going into Snape bashing, do you think he would have done better under Slughorn?

Old August 7th, 2007, 6:09 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Actually an interesting point on Potions, without going into Snape bashing, do you think he would have done better under Slughorn?
Neville? Yes. He probably would learn better from a positive reinforcer like Slughorn. Someone like Hermione, on the other hand, probably learned more from Snape - Snape was more likely to push someone to go beyond just book knowledge. Different teaching styles fit different students better...it's a weakness of Hogwarts to have one teacher per subject. A second, different style might help the overall teaching quality.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old August 7th, 2007, 6:41 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I honestly don't think Slughorn was such a great teacher either. Neville seems the type to need lots of teacher input and explanations and immediate feedback (not just the good job/bad job type of feedback either), and Slughorn didn't do any of that. Perhaps he did with younger students though, I don't know.

Old August 7th, 2007, 6:47 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Yes. We have canon for that, during the OWL examination Neville is much relaxter than in the lessons.

I always thought that Neville would have had great potential in potions if Snape hadn't ruined it for him. The base of potions are ingredients often based on plants. He could have been awesome, but alas.

Regarding Slughorn, he invites Neville once to the Slug Club, but never again. Another proof that Slughorn is not always right. Although I remember that Slughorn is 'reservating' his opinion on him.
It might also be that Slughorn is often impressed by those who have an impressive image, or a overwhelming charisma, like Tom Riddle or Lily Evans, or Ginny. He seems to fail to notice the latent strenghts hidden under a modest outside.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:24 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
I always thought that Neville would have had great potential in potions if Snape hadn't ruined it for him. The base of potions are ingredients often based on plants. He could have been awesome, but alas.
That's a great observation about the plant basis for potions.

I just have to post how pleased I was with Neville's fearless leadership of the student resistance movement. He bravely allowed himself to be tortured so that he could inspire other students. He also offered himself as a sacrifice to the cause by refusing to acquiesce to Voldemort's supposed conquest of Hogwarts. And then, of course, he showed he was a True Gryffindor by being given the sword when he needed it. I'm also glad Gran recognized his accomplishments.

I also loved how he and Professor Sprout played to their own strengths and defended Hogwarts with dangerous plants. All of Neville's scenes had me cheering out loud. I'm smiling right now as I type this and remember how proud and pleased I felt for him.

Sometimes dreams do come true

Last edited by ComicBookWorm; August 9th, 2007 at 1:00 pm.
Old August 9th, 2007, 3:13 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
I also loved how he and Professor Sprout played to their own strengths and defended Hogwarts with dangerous plants.
That was actually beyond cool! I thought that finally I understand why Herbology is obligatory for becoming an Auror, I always had wondered about that one. But Herbological DADA exists!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
He bravely allowed himself to be tortured so that he could inspire other students. He also offered himself as a sacrifice to the cause by refusing to acquiesce to Voldemort's supposed conquest of Hogwarts.
Very similar to the scene in the DoM, OotP, when he offeres to be tortured by Bellatrix but tells Harry to not give in and not hand over the prophecy.

Actually (and now totally hypothetical rambling) Neville might become an expert on Defense with Plants. He always was interested in Defense mechanisms in Plants, like the Mimbulus Mimbletonia, and in DH uses them (Venomous Tentacula, Mandrakes, Snargapods) as a weapon The Mandrakes most probably killed (or knocked out) a few DE. Their cry is fatal after all.

Last edited by guad; August 9th, 2007 at 3:16 pm.
Old August 10th, 2007, 4:24 am
Fourth Year

1) We know Neville’s upbringing (like Harry’s) hasn’t been a bed of roses. How have Neville’s formative years with his grand mother and extended family influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents hadn’t been tortured into madness?

I belive that if Neville was raised with his father and mother he really could be more confident, maybe more joyful. It was hard to be raised by his grandmother willing that he was a image of his father, a person that he didn't have the time to spend with and that ended up tortured and reclused at St. Mungos. So, of course that if didn't have to endure all that he could be more confident, but he did very well, he is a kind and loving guy that maybe because of his situation felt more close to Harry.

2) Neville evolved into a remarkable leader of Dumbledore's Army and a true Gryffindor, do you think his previous incompetence was due to lack of confidence? What events in the series allowed him to gain the confidence he needed?
I belive that the lack of confidence had a great part in his previous difficulty to do magic. I believe that he started to gain confidence and therefore bloom as a wizard due to the support of the friends that he finally saw that he had. He finally saw that his friends had confidence in him, that he could do things that he belive he couldn't. The love and support of friends like Harry, Ginny, Luna, Hermione and Ron, meant a lot, as much as his support for his friends. Also, when he became a member of the DA and had the oportunity to do something big for the first time at the Ministry, he realised that he was braver than he thought.

3) How does the power of love manifest itself in Neville's actions throughout DH?

He was always a caring character that loves his family and friends. The love of his friends for him and the fact that they loved, cared and respect him just for being who he was (unlike his grandmother that wanted him to be more like his father) meant a lot to him and whe can see in DH that Neville treasures that love and friendship and is prepare to do anything to protect his family and friends.

4) Neville is one of the few characters whose profession we learn. What do you think of his choice to teach? What qualities would make Neville a good teacher?

I think that Neville's choice was great. He loves Herbology and has the skills and characteristics to be a very good teacher. He knows a lot of the subject, he is a nice and caring person and, due to his past, he can be a very patient teacher with kids that, like him before, needs more time to learn and have confidence problems.

Old August 10th, 2007, 4:44 am
Zonko's Employee

Do I think he would have done better under Slughorn...yes, providing that he had been taught by Slughorn all along. The fact is Neville's experiences in Snape's class really deflated him and made him lose confidence. It would be hard to undo all the damage in a year never mind a few lessons. Also, was he ever in remedial potions? I do not believe that he was.

Also does anyone think the shift in Neville truly came once Harry was no longer around? I'm sure that Neville cared for Harry and that Harry helped his confidence in OoTP but Neville, more so than Ron even, was under Harry's shadow. First he was under his dad's shadow, then Harry's. I think once Harry was gone Neville could really shine in a way he had been unable to do in the past. Go Neville!

Old August 10th, 2007, 6:16 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybobbie View Post

2) Neville evolved into a remarkable leader of Dumbledore's Army and a true Gryffindor, do you think his previous incompetence was due to lack of confidence? What events in the series allowed him to gain the confidence he needed?
I belive that the lack of confidence had a great part in his previous difficulty to do magic. I believe that he started to gain confidence and therefore bloom as a wizard due to the support of the friends that he finally saw that he had. He finally saw that his friends had confidence in him, that he could do things that he belive he couldn't. The love and support of friends like Harry, Ginny, Luna, Hermione and Ron, meant a lot, as much as his support for his friends. Also, when he became a member of the DA and had the oportunity to do something big for the first time at the Ministry, he realised that he was braver than he thought.
Well said, cybobbie, and I agree completely. Neville always had the potential to be an excellent wizard, but he was slower to realize his power since he lacked confidence. Those students who were more confident (i.e., Harry and Hermione in particular) realized the extent and force of their magical powers much earlier.

I also wanted to add that it seems that Neville needed to be away from Harry, Ron, and Hermione in order to truly take charge and discover his capabilities. Perhaps he relied on them as the "leaders," and he wasn't able to become a true leader himself until they were gone. His true character then shines through since he obviously stepped up and assumed the leadership position that was needed within the group remaining at Hogwarts.

Old August 10th, 2007, 10:04 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashell323 View Post
I also wanted to add that it seems that Neville needed to be away from Harry, Ron, and Hermione in order to truly take charge and discover his capabilities. Perhaps he relied on them as the "leaders," and he wasn't able to become a true leader himself until they were gone. His true character then shines through since he obviously stepped up and assumed the leadership position that was needed within the group remaining at Hogwarts.
I agree here, Neville needed that little step to independence and leadership. When among the Trio he could always fall back on the bravery of Harry and the brains of Hermione. Now he could shine and he knew that other trusted him and looked up to him, since he was one of the old DA crowd. I think that he got a lot of confidence since he joined the DA and developed from that point and finally showed his true colors.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old August 11th, 2007, 11:46 pm
Member of the Order

1) We know Neville’s upbringing (like Harry’s) hasn’t been a bed of roses. How have Neville’s formative years with his grand mother and extended family influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents hadn’t been tortured into madness?
Neville's severe lack of self-confidence can be put down to his upbringing. His gran just didn't believe he was any good, although I'm sure she loved him. And being brought up by a bunch of highly eccentric elderly witches and wizards is hardly a way to gain social skills and self-confidence!

Neville is the sort of kid who might as well have "bully me" written across his forehead. It's to do with the lack of confidence, I think. He's so used to being bullied by his well-meaning elderly relatives that he expects people to treat him like that and it shows!

What made him gain the confidence he needed? Harry and co included him. And the DA was a turning point. Harry was a good teacher who instilled confidence in his pupils, and for the first time in his life, Neville was succeeding at something apart from Herbology! There is nothing like success to improve confidence! Also, Voldemort's return inspired Neville to seek to avenge his parents and (I suspect) to try to prevent other kids suffering as he had done.

3) How does the power of love manifest itself in Neville's actions throughout DH?
Love of his parents, love of Hogwarts, love of Harry ... it's hard to say "throughout" DH because we only really see him at the end. But evidence suggests that his exploits at the Ministry and the fact that his gran was finally proud of him, gave him the confidence he needed to take over the empty place left by Harry in the DA.

One thing I noticed about Neville in DH was the fact that he took hardship and injury almost as a matter of course. No matter how bad it got, Neville never gave up, even when he was carrying dead and injured students back into school. Neville just kept plodding on, doing what had to be done without complaining. I think his years of being bullied and having low expectations of life prepared him for this. Neville never expected life to be easy, because it never was for him. I hope things improved for him after the final battle.

4) Neville is one of the few characters whose profession we learn. What do you think of his choice to teach? What qualities would make Neville a good teacher?
I think Neville's patience and kindness will make him an excellent teacher. I'm not sure how he'd be on discipline, but I think he would win the respect and affection of most students, and they would behave reasonably well in his lessons because of that. He would probably have a bit of a show-down every year with Slytherin students, who might try to take advantage of his good nature, but the new Neville would show them what he was made of, and after that they would behave!

Quote:
Hear, hear!

Old August 12th, 2007, 12:41 am
Elvendork

Out of all the characters in Harry's generation, Neville seems like the one who changed the most! I'm re-reading PS/SS, and there are many instances when Neville is close to crying. Yet, look at him in DH! He fights against the Death Eaters and kills Nagini!
If I was Matt Lewis, I would be really pleased with Neville's role in DH!

CoS and Pottermore sorted
You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

- Aristotle

Specialises in awesome picspams.
Old August 12th, 2007, 4:57 am
Fifth Year

anabel I *heart* your Neville siggy!

"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head. "Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear related humor before you, you go for holey?"

Be kind, use the Search Engine|Search Engine Tutorial
Old August 12th, 2007, 1:02 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HesHPfan View Post
I agree here, Neville needed that little step to independence and leadership. When among the Trio he could always fall back on the bravery of Harry and the brains of Hermione. Now he could shine and he knew that other trusted him and looked up to him, since he was one of the old DA crowd. I think that he got a lot of confidence since he joined the DA and developed from that point and finally showed his true colors.
I fully agree. He's not the type to claim leadership when others are around, but when necessary he proved to be an excellent leader.
I also liked very much how he followed Harrys example. He willingly lets himself torture because "Speaking your mind gives people hope" which is something he noticed under Umbridges regime when Harry did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
One thing I noticed about Neville in DH was the fact that he took hardship and injury almost as a matter of course. No matter how bad it got, Neville never gave up, even when he was carrying dead and injured students back into school. Neville just kept plodding on, doing what had to be done without complaining. I think his years of being bullied and having low expectations of life prepared him for this. Neville never expected life to be easy, because it never was for him. I hope things improved for him after the final battle.
That's an excellent observation. Neville seems to be one of those guys who can take a lot, because they have received a lot.
I also might think that he supported the tortures because he knows that there can always be worse tortures only by remembering his parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
He would probably have a bit of a show-down every year with Slytherin students, who might try to take advantage of his good nature, but the new Neville would show them what he was made of, and after that they would behave!
Having killed a Slytherin mascot from the heir of Slytherin with Gryffindors sword might help too to get a bit of respect

And I agree with Mia_Potter, I was hoping to see your sig here anabel

Old August 12th, 2007, 3:48 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
That's an excellent observation. Neville seems to be one of those guys who can take a lot, because they have received a lot.
I also might think that he supported the tortures because he knows that there can always be worse tortures only by remembering his parents
Oooh yes! I bet Neville felt that by withstanding torture he was standing alongside his parents, fighting the same fight they did. And knowing that they suffered even more than he did would give him more strength to fight back against his oppressors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Potter View Post
anabel I *heart* your Neville siggy!
Quote:
And I agree with Mia_Potter, I was hoping to see your sig here anabel
Thank you!

Old August 27th, 2007, 4:38 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

<wakes up thread>

I loved Neville in this book. He completed his transformation from completely unconfident and insecure to the supremely confident warrier who bested Nagini. Starting about in GoF I knew Neville had it in him, and it might have been the happiest moment of the book for me when Neville got the sword. Well...when he charged Voldy was awesome, too.

Basically, he rocked. And he's got the world's coolest grandmother, too

Old August 27th, 2007, 4:42 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
<wakes up thread>

I loved Neville in this book. He completed his transformation from completely unconfident and insecure to the supremely confident warrier who bested Nagini. Starting about in GoF I knew Neville had it in him, and it might have been the happiest moment of the book for me when Neville got the sword. Well...when he charged Voldy was awesome, too.

Basically, he rocked. And he's got the world's coolest grandmother, too
heck yeah! And when he got a new wand when his dad's broke, I think that helped.

My patronus is a nightingale
Here Lies Dobby, a free elf
In memory of President Gordon B. Hinckley

I'm off to wikipedia!
Old August 27th, 2007, 4:50 am
Ordo Lebes

The Neville moment was one of the most amazing and emotional ones in the book... Gosh, I love him so much.

When he runs at Voldemort, defenceless without his wand... then yells "Dumbledore's Army!", even though all hope seems to be lost. He still fights for what's right when the good seems to have been defeated. Such a true Gryffindor. I couldn't be more proud of him.

Oh boy, now I'm getting all teary-eyed just thinking about it.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old August 27th, 2007, 4:53 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliauthor View Post
heck yeah! And when he got a new wand when his dad's broke, I think that helped.
That's something I hadn't thought about before, but it's a very good point. Neville hadn't "won" the wand from his father, so it wouldn't respond to him like his own would. Though he did a lot of improving in OotP when he was still using his father's wand, I suspect that he did even better when he had his own.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies