Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

View Poll Results: Which of Neville's actions was the most awesome?
Neville organising the resistence. 73 19.11%
Neville asking the Carrows how much Muggle blood they have. 15 3.93%
Neville fighting the battle according to his strengths. 14 3.66%
Neville telling Voldemort that he would join him when hell freezes over. 153 40.05%
Neville killing Nagini. 105 27.49%
Neville understanding the Room of Requirement. 9 2.36%
Other. 13 3.40%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 10th, 2014, 6:53 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
I didn't.
Haha! I didn't, either, particularly, but I was OK with it. I must say, though, that I did dislike Julie Walters' portrayal of that moment. In my opinion, she showed too much self-satisfaction and bloodlust with that smile at the end.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2014, 8:11 am
Always Indy's Girl

@Neville killing Nagini. I loved it too, and I loved JKR made Neville vanquisher of Nagini, Nagini who had just killed Snape. That she made Neville kill the snake, made me feel that JKR was showing that much of Snape's actions, not all, but most of it were coloured by his character as a spy.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old February 11th, 2014, 9:02 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I like better the idea of the super mom beating the "anti-mom"
I'll reply to this in the Molly character thread. EDIT: I can't find that thread. Well, I'll just say I strongly disliked this implication. Motherhood has been used to punish and control women for centuries, and to pit them against one another, and using that motif in a book series I love so much really put me off.

Last edited by Yoana; February 11th, 2014 at 9:09 am.
Old April 28th, 2014, 4:46 pm
Zonko's Employee

I was disappointed that Neville didn't kill Bellatrix. So Harry is okay to kill Voldemort but Neville isn't a good enough of a wizard to kill Bellatrix? I know some think it wold have been revenge... but revenge implies that the retaliation is less than justified and only done out of personal hatred. Sure Neville harbored personal hatred for Bellatrix but it would not have negated the fact that his parents were hardly the only ones who Bellatrix tortured, never mind murdered. If he gained some personal satisfaction from that why would Neville be in the wrong? Snape wanted to defeat Voldemort purely for revenge. At first Harry was all about revenge and in the end he just wanted safety and peace for his friends. Does that mean that he shouldn't feel satisfaction in Voldemort's death? Relief? Why should Neville be held to a different standard? Because his parents didn't die?

I would have rather seen anyone else kill Nagini. Preferably Ron or Ginny (considering the fact that Nagini almost killed Arthur). I like symmetry. I get that war is random. And you never know who is going to step up to the plate in the end. But there are alot of parallels between Harry and Neville (after all he could have been the One if Voldemort had chosen differently) and I would have been happier if JKR had continued in the same vein.

Old May 1st, 2014, 5:03 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
I would have rather seen anyone else kill Nagini. Preferably Ron or Ginny (considering the fact that Nagini almost killed Arthur). I like symmetry. I get that war is random. And you never know who is going to step up to the plate in the end. But there are alot of parallels between Harry and Neville (after all he could have been the One if Voldemort had chosen differently) and I would have been happier if JKR had continued in the same vein.
I think that symmetry is there, though, with Neville killing Nagini. Neville could have been chosen, and Neville is the one who destroys Voldemort's final horcrux. Neville is the one who finally renders Voldemort mortal. I think that is fitting and significant for the boy who could have been chosen.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old May 1st, 2014, 6:38 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
I was disappointed that Neville didn't kill Bellatrix. So Harry is okay to kill Voldemort but Neville isn't a good enough of a wizard to kill Bellatrix? I know some think it wold have been revenge... but revenge implies that the retaliation is less than justified and only done out of personal hatred. Sure Neville harbored personal hatred for Bellatrix but it would not have negated the fact that his parents were hardly the only ones who Bellatrix tortured, never mind murdered. If he gained some personal satisfaction from that why would Neville be in the wrong? Snape wanted to defeat Voldemort purely for revenge. At first Harry was all about revenge and in the end he just wanted safety and peace for his friends. Does that mean that he shouldn't feel satisfaction in Voldemort's death? Relief? Why should Neville be held to a different standard? Because his parents didn't die?
I wonder, though, if Neville held himself to that standard. This is Harry's resolve for why he sought to be the one to kill Voldemort:
HBP, Horcruxes“But, sir,” said Harry, making valiant efforts not to sound argumentative, “it all comes to the same thing, doesn’t it? I’ve got to try and kill him, or—”

“Got to?” said Dumbledore. “Of course you’ve got to! But not because of the prophecy! Because you, yourself, will never rest until you’ve tried! We both know it! Imagine, please, just for a moment, that you had never heard that prophecy! How would you feel about Voldemort now? Think!”

Harry watched Dumbledore striding up and down in front of him, and thought. He thought of his mother, his father, and Sirius. He thought of Cedric Diggory. He thought of all the terrible deeds he knew Lord Voldemort had done. A flame seemed to leap inside his chest, searing his throat.

“I’d want him finished,” said Harry quietly. “And I’d want to do it.”

Do you think Neville was similarly motivated to be the one to kill Bellatrix? Based purely upon his actions, I don't think so. I don't think he prioritized killing Bellatrix. If he did, I think he would have actively sought her, just as Harry sought Voldemort. Or, at the least, would have focused on her during the final battle. But I don't think his perspective was that singular; he seemed to be committed to the complete downfall of Voldemort and wasn't driven by personal vengeance. I think he saw the bigger picture and the part he could play in it no matter what, so he took advantage of the opportunities that arose and realized that Bellatrix would be finished one way or another. And I wouldn't be surprised if he realized he wouldn't be likely to defeat Bellatrix in a duel; I imagine that he would enter into a duel if that were the hand he had been dealt, but he seems to have also appreciated his limitations as a wizard and wouldn't purposefully commit himself to a fool's errand.

I don't think it's a case of the author not giving Neville the chance he deserved because she held him to a different standard, or that she was worried about making Bellatrix's death too contrived. Rather, I find Neville being the one to kill Nagini as best showcasing the character she created - one that was fully committed to the cause and did what he could, when he could.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old May 4th, 2014, 10:00 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I wonder, though, if Neville held himself to that standard. This is Harry's resolve for why he sought to be the one to kill Voldemort:
HBP, Horcruxes“But, sir,” said Harry, making valiant efforts not to sound argumentative, “it all comes to the same thing, doesn’t it? I’ve got to try and kill him, or—”

“Got to?” said Dumbledore. “Of course you’ve got to! But not because of the prophecy! Because you, yourself, will never rest until you’ve tried! We both know it! Imagine, please, just for a moment, that you had never heard that prophecy! How would you feel about Voldemort now? Think!”

Harry watched Dumbledore striding up and down in front of him, and thought. He thought of his mother, his father, and Sirius. He thought of Cedric Diggory. He thought of all the terrible deeds he knew Lord Voldemort had done. A flame seemed to leap inside his chest, searing his throat.

“I’d want him finished,” said Harry quietly. “And I’d want to do it.”

Do you think Neville was similarly motivated to be the one to kill Bellatrix? Based purely upon his actions, I don't think so. I don't think he prioritized killing Bellatrix. If he did, I think he would have actively sought her, just as Harry sought Voldemort. Or, at the least, would have focused on her during the final battle. But I don't think his perspective was that singular; he seemed to be committed to the complete downfall of Voldemort and wasn't driven by personal vengeance. I think he saw the bigger picture and the part he could play in it no matter what, so he took advantage of the opportunities that arose and realized that Bellatrix would be finished one way or another. And I wouldn't be surprised if he realized he wouldn't be likely to defeat Bellatrix in a duel; I imagine that he would enter into a duel if that were the hand he had been dealt, but he seems to have also appreciated his limitations as a wizard and wouldn't purposefully commit himself to a fool's errand.

I don't think it's a case of the author not giving Neville the chance he deserved because she held him to a different standard, or that she was worried about making Bellatrix's death too contrived. Rather, I find Neville being the one to kill Nagini as best showcasing the character she created - one that was fully committed to the cause and did what he could, when he could.
I don't think what standard that Neville held himself to was relevant. As a reader there was nothing wrong, per se, with his story. For me as a particular reader, some of Neville's most touching moments were when he was dealing with his parent's torture like when "Moody" was showing him the cruciatus curse or when he told Harry what happened to his parents after the DA lesson. I don't think that he had to search Bellatrix out but there is something to be said for facing down the villain that has put your family through so much. I imagine that Bellatrix would have taunted him in a way that would effect him deeply and I wanted him to have the chance to put their torturer in the grave if it was presented to him. *shrug*