Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

View Poll Results: Which of Neville's actions was the most awesome?
Neville organising the resistence. 73 19.11%
Neville asking the Carrows how much Muggle blood they have. 15 3.93%
Neville fighting the battle according to his strengths. 14 3.66%
Neville telling Voldemort that he would join him when hell freezes over. 153 40.05%
Neville killing Nagini. 105 27.49%
Neville understanding the Room of Requirement. 9 2.36%
Other. 13 3.40%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 30th, 2007, 7:48 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post

Allthough I'm sure he wouldn't name his kids after him. He has better taste

I love Harry but yea Neville totally would have better taste in naming his children.

"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head. "Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear related humor before you, you go for holey?"

Be kind, use the Search Engine|Search Engine Tutorial
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2007, 8:06 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I think that Neville lacks all sense of revenge or grudges. We see this already in the battle when he does not look for Bellatrix or does not show any sign of thirst for revenge. This comes pretty much down to the pureness of heart we've also seen in Harry, and I believe that Neville would be able to forgive Snape in the same way Harry forgave Peter.

Allthough I'm sure he wouldn't name his kids after him. He has better taste

That was a really interesting choice on JKR's part not to have Neville face Bellatrix again- a number of people I talked to predicted that he would. But as has been pointed out, Neville knows his limits, and where he can be useful. I really admire him for that- he's got much of the same bravery that Harry has, but without the recklessness that Harry has on occasion demonstrated. I agree that he'd forgive Snape, though more likely just try and forget it all, as difficult as that may be.

I hope one of those plants caused Bellatrix some trouble.

Old July 30th, 2007, 8:15 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnitwit View Post
but without the recklessness that Harry has on occasion demonstrated.
Except for that very memorable moment he charges at Voldemort and tells him (paraphrased) to go to hell

Quote:
I hope one of those plants caused Bellatrix some trouble.
The plant thing was very cool actually. It also shows that Herbology is not useless at all but a very cool defense weapon. And being able to handle a Venomous Tentacula and have it attack a Death Eater is very useful

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old July 30th, 2007, 8:18 pm
Renegade

I've loved Neville since he was first mentioned in Sorcerer's Stone. How can you not love Neville. He didn't really begin to be three-dimensional until GoF, but from there on Neville came into his own.

I wonder if he ever learned how close he came to having Harry's fate, rather than sharing and augmenting it.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old July 30th, 2007, 8:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Except for that very memorable moment he charges at Voldemort and tells him (paraphrased) to go to hell
*headdesk* I retract my comment. How could I forget that? That's a pretty major act of recklessness.

But nah, overall, I think he's got a pretty cool head.

Old July 30th, 2007, 8:23 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
*headdesk* I retract my comment. How could I forget that? That's a pretty major act of recklessness.

But nah, overall, I think he's got a pretty cool head.
And let's not forget how he asked whichever Carrow it was who taught Muggle studies how much muggle blood she had in her. Even Ron thought he should not have chosen that specific battle. But I was like WTG Neville!

"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear related humor before you, you go for holey?"

Old July 30th, 2007, 8:37 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Potter View Post
But I was like WTG Neville!
I started to feel that actually already in OotP. It shouldn't come as a surprise that Neville charges at Voldemort, defeats the Snake, stands up to the Carrows, because in the Ministry battle
1) he steps injured into a room full of Death Eaters, including Bellatrix and shouts (quite reckless) HE'S DOT ALONE!
2) is being tortured with the Crucio and tells Harry: DON'T GIB IT TO DEM!

Neville always had a lot of bravery. He only needed a bit of self confidence, and I guess that the approval of his gran helped there.

Old July 30th, 2007, 8:37 pm
Second Year

Quote:
And let's not forget how he asked whichever Carrow it was who taught Muggle studies how much muggle blood she had in her. Even Ron thought he should not have chosen that specific battle. But I was like WTG Neville!
Ooh, and my thought collapses in on itself.

Go Neville! The hothead picking fights with Death Eaters everywhere!

Old July 30th, 2007, 8:40 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Neville always had a lot of bravery. He only needed a bit of self confidence, and I guess that the approval of his gran helped there.
I would think that in DH other students might have even looked to Neville for leadership. He was a seventh year, a friend of Harry Potters who was with him at the ministry, and he was involved (and successful) in the original DA.

Old July 30th, 2007, 9:01 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
I started to feel that actually already in OotP. It shouldn't come as a surprise that Neville charges at Voldemort, defeats the Snake, stands up to the Carrows, because in the Ministry battle
1) he steps injured into a room full of Death Eaters, including Bellatrix and shouts (quite reckless) HE'S DOT ALONE!
2) is being tortured with the Crucio and tells Harry: DON'T GIB IT TO DEM!

Oh yea and Neville not willing to not go with Harry and the rest to the MoM. He seriously just keeps showing exactly why he was in Gryffindor. The hat knew he was brave Neville just needed enough encouragement to show it.

And then did anyone elses heart break a little when Harry was heading into the forest to surrender himself and Neville tells him that they are still going to fight. Neville just was the man in DH.

Old July 30th, 2007, 10:07 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I wonder if he ever learned how close he came to having Harry's fate, rather than sharing and augmenting it.
I don't know. We know from the epilogue that Harry and Neville stay friends, maybe he told him after a while.

Quote:
And then did anyone elses heart break a little when Harry was heading into the forest to surrender himself and Neville tells him that they are still going to fight. Neville just was the man in DH.
I think that was great! I thought it was also great when he told angrily Harry that they would fight, no matter what in the RoR. It was similar to PS when he stands up to the trio.

Btw, today's Nevilles Birthday!

Old July 30th, 2007, 10:13 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:

Btw, today's Nevilles Birthday!
Awwwww Happy Birthday Neville! Finally happy doing exactly what he loves doing.

Old July 30th, 2007, 10:22 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Happy Birthday, Neville!

Neville is awesome in Book 7 - the best!

I loved it when Gran is so matter of fact about Neville being out there fighting.

"Have you seen my grandson?"

"He's fighting," said Harry.

"Naturally," said the old lady proudly. "Excuse me, I must go and assist him."

I love that!

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:36 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
"Have you seen my grandson?"

"He's fighting," said Harry.

"Naturally," said the old lady proudly. "Excuse me, I must go and assist him."
Ahhhaha that was great! Augusta redeemed a lot in DH in my eyes.

Allthough I must say it's a bit sad that she only gets to appreciate Neville when he shows bravery, instead of accepting him since the beginning. He would have had an easier life with the full support of his gran.

The interview today with JKR (the chat) stated that JKR compared Teddys life with Nevilles.

Quote:
J.K. Rowling: Yes, Teddy was raised by Andromeda. However, unlike Neville, who was also raised by his grandmother Teddy had his godfather, Harry, and all his father’s friends in the Order, to visit and stay with.
This means that Neville had a pretty sad childhood. Only his gran (and some uncle if I don't remember wrong) but never like a big family. Summerholidays spending in St Mungos

It's great how he turned out to be a great kind and brave person.

EDIT: did anyone spot the hint to what happened to his parents? He gets the first cut because he refuses to use the Cruciatus Curse. I thought that was a very sad moment, him being ordered to do precisely what put his parents into the state they are now.

Last edited by guad; July 31st, 2007 at 12:55 am.
Old July 31st, 2007, 7:27 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
While we don't really know for sure if growing up with Frank and Alice would have changed Neville, it is a fair bet that they would have been more nuturing than Augusta Longbottom. He might have come to Hogwarts as a more confident boy.

As the entire series has shown, bravery was never really an issue with Neville...just confidence. His lack of self esteem pretty much meant that he went through his first four years of Hogwarts with probably Hermoine as his best friend. Taking Ginny to the Yule Ball brought her into his life (which was a positive) and then the DA started giving him more confidence in himself.

As for his being the leader when the trio arrives at the end of the seventh book...I'm more of the mind that that was a gradual thing that happened over the course of the school year. Certainly at the end of sixth year Neville doesn't seem entirely ready to embrace a leadership role. It's my speculation that Ginny came back to Hogwarts feeling particularly rebellious. At the start of seventh year given her personality she would seem to be the more natural choice for leader and catalyst (I imagine the Gryffindor sword idea came from her), and she probably became Neville's closet Gryffindor friend (though I would guess cirumstances created a very strong bond with Seamus as well). Neville probably gained more and more confidence that what he was doing was right and necessary so that after Luna was taken and Ginny went into hiding it was natural for him to assume the leadership role.

The biggest lesson Neville needed to learn was self worth. He needed to believe that he was worthy of friends who cared for him. The love he had for his friends helped him become a stronger more confident person. As for teaching, the knowledge was always there. By the end of the series the confidence is there as well.
I completely agree with you. I do think his issue has always been self-confidence and once there was no one else to step up to the plate, he stepped up as leader and did a fine job at that. I think especially once Ginny was gone, he finally gained all his confidence and went all out thinking he had nothing to loose. Your scenario seems very in character with both Ginny and Neville to me.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:09 am
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbmis
As for his being the leader when the trio arrives at the end of the seventh book...I'm more of the mind that that was a gradual thing that happened over the course of the school year. Certainly at the end of sixth year Neville doesn't seem entirely ready to embrace a leadership role. It's my speculation that Ginny came back to Hogwarts feeling particularly rebellious. At the start of seventh year given her personality she would seem to be the more natural choice for leader and catalyst (I imagine the Gryffindor sword idea came from her), and she probably became Neville's closet Gryffindor friend (though I would guess cirumstances created a very strong bond with Seamus as well). Neville probably gained more and more confidence that what he was doing was right and necessary so that after Luna was taken and Ginny went into hiding it was natural for him to assume the leadership role.
I agree here. I might also add that once Ginny and Luna gone, he was the only one left of the leaders, and might have felt responsable too. He tells the trio how they were helping others (Michael Corner helping a first year who was chained) and later he was in charge of the RoR, which proved to be a refuge for people who otherwise might have been taken or tortured.

Somebody mentioned earlier that Nevilles ability to communicate with the RoR might come from the fact that he's used to ask for help (like Hermione in class, etc). I think that is very likely. In this sense Neville is very different to Harry who doesn't like to ask for help.

I might also add that the fact that Neville knows how it feels to need help might have helped him to understand the other refugees, and to become the rallying point and support for them.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:15 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Somebody mentioned earlier that Nevilles ability to communicate with the RoR might come from the fact that he's used to ask for help (like Hermione in class, etc). I think that is very likely. In this sense Neville is very different to Harry who doesn't like to ask for help.

I might also add that the fact that Neville knows how it feels to need help might have helped him to understand the other refugees, and to become the rallying point and support for them.
That's interesting. I haven't thought about it yet. It may also have to do with Neville's interest in others. Despite being an outsider for most of the time he was always eager to help others who were in need. He is good at Herbology, too, which indicates a desire to see things flourish and grow.

Old August 6th, 2007, 12:49 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madron View Post
He is good at Herbology, too, which indicates a desire to see things flourish and grow.
Good point. Actually your observation reminds me of Nevilles description of the RoR, first quite small and only one hammock, etc, but more and more people came and it started growing and expanding according to necessities, all of this thanks to Neville understanding the room.
He sort of treated the Room like something that can grow too, and so it did.

Another thought I had, Neville was in the end the only leader of the DA left. Nonetheless he doesn't back away but continues alone, mainly to give others hope and he tells Harry and because he never would have given up. (he must have been pretty bad behaving, given that Voldemort knew about this, and I doubt that the Carrows would have complained about some silly schoolboy pranks)

It's interesting because Neville often has been alone, so it could be that he is used to be 'abandoned' and to carry on alone.

EDIT: I also had another thought on Neville: He never knows (at least in the serie) that he almost was the Chosen One. And for what we see in the first 4 books, apparently Voldemort really went for the right one (Neville being not very confident, often scared, etc). Nonetheless Neville without knowing it comes to act similarily to Harry, playing even a part in Voldemorts defeat, destroying the last horcrux, mobilizing the DA resistance, etc.
I wonder if Voldemort thought about this in the end. That both had 'Chosen One material'.

Last edited by guad; August 6th, 2007 at 1:38 pm.
Old August 7th, 2007, 9:12 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageThyme View Post
1) We know Neville’s upbringing (like Harry’s) hasn’t been a bed of roses. How have Neville’s formative years with his grand mother and extended family influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents hadn’t been tortured into madness?
I believe that Neville's life with his grandmother slightly offset his strengths and his abilities, however, this family of his still showed that they loved Neville no matter what - even if they were trying to squeeze the magic out of him when he was younger.

If his parent's weren't tortured to madness, he'd probably be just like any other kid in Hogwarts.

Quote:
2) Neville evolved into a remarkable leader of Dumbledore's Army and a true Gryffindor, do you think his previous incompetence was due to lack of confidence? What events in the series allowed him to gain the confidence he needed?
Oh, naturally it was just the lack of confidence that made Neville a very poor student. He gained confidence by realizing that he had friends, even if he wasn't that good in his studies. And that Harry himself had trust in him to do whatever he would teach them back when they started the DA.

Also, it was quite obvious that Neville gained more confidence in DH, since I presume he got Gryffindor's Sword from the out of the Sorting Hat. True courage, I say!

Quote:
3) How does the power of love manifest itself in Neville's actions throughout DH?
He never lost hope in Harry, Hermione and Ron. True friendship.

Quote:
4) Neville is one of the few characters whose profession we learn. What do you think of his choice to teach? What qualities would make Neville a good teacher?
Neville seems to be very patient - and forgiving. One really good quality of a teacher. Besides, he really makes a good teacher since Herbology is really one of his strengths.

Old August 7th, 2007, 10:10 am
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixcloud View Post
Oh, naturally it was just the lack of confidence that made Neville a very poor student. He gained confidence by realizing that he had friends, even if he wasn't that good in his studies.
He wasn't that bad actually. He had Exceeds Expectations in Charms and DADA, Outstanding in Herbology (something Ron didn't achieve) and Acceptable in Transfigurations.
Potions was most likely his one bad subject (but honestly who likes chemistry anyway ) and this was very likely due to Snapes poor teaching methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixcloud View Post
Neville seems to be very patient - and forgiving. One really good quality of a teacher.
Yes, and he would probably help a lot those students who like him are a bit insecure.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies