Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

View Poll Results: Which of Neville's actions was the most awesome?
Neville organising the resistence. 73 19.11%
Neville asking the Carrows how much Muggle blood they have. 15 3.93%
Neville fighting the battle according to his strengths. 14 3.66%
Neville telling Voldemort that he would join him when hell freezes over. 153 40.05%
Neville killing Nagini. 105 27.49%
Neville understanding the Room of Requirement. 9 2.36%
Other. 13 3.40%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 25th, 2007, 11:10 pm
Second Year

Re: Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
Howdy! Mind if I jump into the "poor ignored Neville Thread"?

One thing I loved about Neville in this book (apart from the fact that he led the student revolution against the Carrows ) was that he mostly seemed to play by his strengths. Neville's an ok dueller, but he's a much better herbologist. It was nice seeing him using plants against the DEs. He was playing by his strengths, and it seemed to work pretty well.
He wonderful in that way- he's never backed away from the fact that he's not great shakes at magic and he's found his way despite it. I was so proud to see him take up a leadership role! (even if we actually didn't get to see it much )

And him and Professor Sprout setting plants on the Death Eaters is just a plain awesome image.

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2007, 12:01 am
First Year

I think compared to Harry, Neville was lucky in that, I think at least he knew that his grandmother loved him. although his grandmother was a pushy woman, there was no doubt in that she expected a lot from Neville, and that's only because Neville is her grandson. The dursleys, on the other hand, had no expectations for Harry.

I think that Neville will be a great teacher-- he knows what it's like to be at the end of the train... I think he'll be a great help to Albus, who seems like he's rather shy and uncertain of himself... very typical of middle children, especially with James being such vibrant personality.

Old July 26th, 2007, 12:03 am
First Year

While we don't really know for sure if growing up with Frank and Alice would have changed Neville, it is a fair bet that they would have been more nuturing than Augusta Longbottom. He might have come to Hogwarts as a more confident boy.

As the entire series has shown, bravery was never really an issue with Neville...just confidence. His lack of self esteem pretty much meant that he went through his first four years of Hogwarts with probably Hermoine as his best friend. Taking Ginny to the Yule Ball brought her into his life (which was a positive) and then the DA started giving him more confidence in himself.

As for his being the leader when the trio arrives at the end of the seventh book...I'm more of the mind that that was a gradual thing that happened over the course of the school year. Certainly at the end of sixth year Neville doesn't seem entirely ready to embrace a leadership role. It's my speculation that Ginny came back to Hogwarts feeling particularly rebellious. At the start of seventh year given her personality she would seem to be the more natural choice for leader and catalyst (I imagine the Gryffindor sword idea came from her), and she probably became Neville's closet Gryffindor friend (though I would guess cirumstances created a very strong bond with Seamus as well). Neville probably gained more and more confidence that what he was doing was right and necessary so that after Luna was taken and Ginny went into hiding it was natural for him to assume the leadership role.

The biggest lesson Neville needed to learn was self worth. He needed to believe that he was worthy of friends who cared for him. The love he had for his friends helped him become a stronger more confident person. As for teaching, the knowledge was always there. By the end of the series the confidence is there as well.

Old July 26th, 2007, 2:37 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
One thing I loved about Neville in this book (apart from the fact that he led the student revolution against the Carrows ) was that he mostly seemed to play by his strengths. Neville's an ok dueller, but he's a much better herbologist. It was nice seeing him using plants against the DEs. He was playing by his strengths, and it seemed to work pretty well.
Yes, I loved this too! Neville is very capable in his own way, and he really proved that in this book. I was rereading the end of SS/PS recently, and I noticed on quick line about how Neville passed his first year because his good herbology grade made up for his poor potions grade. It was nice to see that even from the start, this was Neville's real talent.

Old July 26th, 2007, 3:26 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I just love Neville. There were so many times that I wanted Harry, Ron or Hermione to boost him up more, or include him more - but in the end he knew that he was important to them and that was all that mattered.

1) We know Neville’s upbringing (like Harry’s) hasn’t been a bed of roses. How have Neville’s formative years with his grand mother and extended family influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents hadn’t been tortured into madness?
I think deep down Neville would be the same kind person that his is today. However, similar to Harry, he had motivation and drive to stand up to the bad guys in the end. If he had a happy home life he might have just melted away into the shadows and not been willing to be the leader of the resistance.

2) Neville evolved into a remarkable leader of Dumbledore's Army and a true Gryffindor, do you think his previous incompetence was due to lack of confidence? What events in the series allowed him to gain the confidence he needed? Whenever we saw Neville supported and encouraged by his friends we saw his confidence boost. From "you're worth 12 of Malfoy" to his experience in the DA. Neville grew up with a loving grandmother, unlike Harry, however just like Harry he gained his strength from his friends.

3) How does the power of love manifest itself in Neville's actions throughout DH? Neville is just awesome. I loved it always when he played to his strengths and got excited about something. I LOVE how he took over the DA. He became a leader because of the love that his friends showed him over the last few books. And gosh, I LOVE how his gran joined in. I loved when his gran was able to brag about Neville because he fought in the Ministry along side Harry. Just Neville's pure excitement and determination to finish Harry's mission shows how much he cared for his friends, that he is true and loyal. It was fitting that he was able to kill the Snake, and without fear. He is a true Gryffindor.

4) Neville is one of the few characters whose profession we learn. What do you think of his choice to teach? What qualities would make Neville a good teacher? I knew he would end up teaching - I thought it would be DADA because of the DA, but it is more fitting that he would teach Herbology. Neville will make a great teacher, he is compassionate, and confident, and will never treat students the way Snape did.

Old July 26th, 2007, 9:23 am
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

Neville's gran wanted him to be just like his father not realising he had the potential to be as good as his father but different. I loved it that in DH and to a lesser extent OoTP and HBP she began to understand this and to support him wholeheartedly. Her support helped him to gain confidence - she was after all the formative influence of his childhood and clearly didn't think much of his magical abilities then

Old July 26th, 2007, 12:15 pm
Mrs Grawp

That's was what I said in the previous Neville thread (first reply)

So I can only say that I am really really thrilled how Neville got portrayed in DH *tries not to sound like a fangirl*

We see clearly that McGonnagal was right all the time when she said that Nevilles only problem was confidence. Once his confidence grew, he developed not only into a really brave guy, but actually into a rebellious leader, leading the DA (with Luna and Ginny) and standing up to the Carrows.

What events in the series allowed him to gain the confidence he needed?
I think that his Gran finally being pleased with him, as well as the trust of his friends helped a lot there. And also realising that there is a common goal to fight for.

3) How does the power of love manifest itself in Neville's actions throughout DH?
I think it's no coincidence that Neville is 'nearly' the Chosen One. He displays a very similar pureness of heart like Harry.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old July 26th, 2007, 9:05 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageThyme View Post
Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Neville Longbottom. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here:Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

1) We know Neville’s upbringing (like Harry’s) hasn’t been a bed of roses. How have Neville’s formative years with his grand mother and extended family influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents hadn’t been tortured into madness?

I think that he grew up without confidence, I think those years before Hogwarts when he didn't really have any magical ability scared him. It must of really been hard to live in the shadow of his parents in his family, then not show any real magical ability.

2) Neville evolved into a remarkable leader of Dumbledore's Army and a true Gryffindor, do you think his previous incompetence was due to lack of confidence? What events in the series allowed him to gain the confidence he needed?

I think just being friends with the trio helped him tremendously. When Dumbledore gave him points at the end of the first book. I think when the fake Mad-Eye gave him that herbology book, it gave him some confidence, oh and doing well in Herbology. I think that the DA, helped him the very most. I think his grandmother in the 7th book when they were all fighting must've given him that extra edge that made him into an extraordinary wizard.

4) Neville is one of the few characters whose profession we learn. What do you think of his choice to teach? What qualities would make Neville a good teacher?
I think he knows how it is to be that picked on kid, so he'll be able to treat everyone fairly and be nice. He is very willing to help, and he obviously knows his subject.

ps. my first post hasitly written, but i've been a longtime lurker.

Old July 26th, 2007, 10:35 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakealani View Post
Naturally, having no parents changes the way kids learn to deal with problems. Even though he had a grandmother who probably taught him a lot, the lack of parent-figures in the traditional sense gave Neville a chance (or forced him) to grow up quickly and take care of himself. It's no surprise that a large number of child heroes in children's stories either have no parents or get rid of them, because not having parents provides a unique freedom for children as well as a different sense of responsibility. That world outlook is what bonded Harry to Neville and vice versa, as well.

Naturally, he was a bit overshadowed by having people like Harry and Hermione in his class, so he didn't really have much of an opportunity to develop confidence except in Herbology. He also came from a very strong wizarding family and a lot of legacy to live up to which probably made him feel like he had to be particularly good at magic or he wasn't good at all. That, and the fact that he really didn't have any particular aptitude for magic (leadership, yes) probably led to his lack of confidence.

As he was able to shine through and be a valuable part of the team, and as other people who would have naturally taken leadership roles (like Harry) were out of the picture, Neville became the leader that was needed because above all he had a good heart and wanted to help in the way he could do best.

Neville's strong belief that Harry would come back and save Hogwarts was both because he loved Harry and his friends and because he loved all the students of the school, in a way, and wanted more than anything for the school to be saved for them. I think also he loved his parents enough to have that extra reason to hate Voldemort.

Neville showed himself to be very caring and understanding, and because he was not a star pupil he would be more able to understand struggling students and help them out. It seemed logical that after Neville found his element with leadership that he should want to continue with that line and teach
Right on!

I also think that Neville learned self-control throughout his leadership experience. The younger Neville might have rushed foolishly to take down Bellatrix Lestrange during the Battle of Hogwarts. The more mature and older Neville did what he could for Hogwarts, letting others who had more of a chance of success taking on Bellatrix, and just staying at his level.

Old July 27th, 2007, 2:41 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbeak11 View Post
The more mature and older Neville did what he could for Hogwarts, letting others who had more of a chance of success taking on Bellatrix, and just staying at his level.
Is that true? I remember a Neville breaking the silencing charm and standing all alone in no mans land after believing Harry dead, right in front of Lord Voldemort himself spitting out that Hell will freaze before he joins him.

I remember a Neville pulling out a sword and beheading a giant snake, that previously has shown able to kill a grown wizard and which incidentally was Voldemorts last horcrux.

Is that staying to his own level?

Neville certainly has proven that he is not blinded by revenge, and he did not make this point his first priority, but the fight against Voldemort. But during this fight he showed to be at the level of the best wizards.

Old July 28th, 2007, 11:33 pm
MODLY CREW

I just loved Neville in DH. He was cheeky, brave and loyal and represented the best of what Gryffindor stands for. I was so happy that his grandmother finally realised what an unbelievable grandson she has. I do think that his former insecurities were mainly due to people (his grandmother and Snape for instance) telling him that he was useless, untalented and not as good as his parents. We see in DH that he has always had the potential to do enormously brave deeds and some decent magic.

Old July 29th, 2007, 3:22 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madron View Post
I just loved Neville in DH. He was cheeky, brave and loyal and represented the best of what Gryffindor stands for. I was so happy that his grandmother finally realised what an unbelievable grandson she has. I do think that his former insecurities were mainly due to people (his grandmother and Snape for instance) telling him that he was useless, untalented and not as good as his parents. We see in DH that he has always had the potential to do enormously brave deeds and some decent magic.
I agree and think that Neville being in Gryffindor and being around people like Harry actually helped him more then he realized. Especially when he said he rebelled or stood up for what they believed in because he knew others needed to see that because he had seen how people would respond to it when Harry would do that. Plus the fact that even though Neville was not the strongest at magic not once did Harry or any of them ever let Neville know they thought that to his face. They gave him the courage to try and be stronger and that is what he needed to give him confidence in himself.

"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head. "Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear related humor before you, you go for holey?"

Be kind, use the Search Engine|Search Engine Tutorial
Old July 29th, 2007, 9:16 am
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madron View Post
I was so happy that his grandmother finally realised what an unbelievable grandson she has.
I wonder if McGonnagals comment at the beginning of HBP had something to do with that (I shall drop a line to Augusta, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Potter View Post
Especially when he said he rebelled or stood up for what they believed in because he knew others needed to see that because he had seen how people would respond to it when Harry would do that.
I think that's true. He drew a lot of courage from Harry in the DA, but I must say that we've seen that 'standing up what you believe for' since PS: for instance when he stands up against the trio, when he tells Draco that he's worth 10 times more, etc.

Might have been there latent, but I think Neville always had that potential.

Old July 29th, 2007, 1:43 pm
First Year

I was so glad that it was Neville who finally killed Nagini, and pulled Gryffindor's sword out of the hat, just as Harry did. I think that having Neville get the sword from the hat showed just how much he matured in DH - stepping into Harry's shoes, in a way - drawing inspiration from him and standing up to the Carrows, and leading the DA. I think it also shows that Neville is of course a true Gryffindor - he is brave and courageous and his grandmother has every right to be proud of him! And I think that Neville's joy in DH is infectious, even in such dark times, Neville s happy just because, finally, he is no longer an embarrasment to his grandmother, but someone that his parents would have been proud of.

Old July 29th, 2007, 4:44 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandam_xym View Post
And I think that Neville's joy in DH is infectious, even in such dark times,
That's a great point! I'm pretty sure Neville was the soul of the group of refugees in the Room of Requirement, the one giving them hope and positive thoughts.

Talking of which, what do you think does it mean that Neville was 'the man', the one able to talk to the Room? I mean, not even Harry had this ability that pronounced, but Neville was able to get almost everything right.

Does it show special empathy? Or the ability to understand different needs and to express them?

Old July 29th, 2007, 4:51 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
Talking of which, what do you think does it mean that Neville was 'the man', the one able to talk to the Room? I mean, not even Harry had this ability that pronounced, but Neville was able to get almost everything right. Does it show special empathy? Or the ability to understand different needs and to express them?
This is an interesting question. I think that since Neville struggles in so many areas, he had to learn how to ask for help. It's a very hard and often humiliating experience to ask for help that other people don't need, but I think a person is stronger for it afterwards.

Old July 30th, 2007, 4:40 pm
First Year

In Book 3, there was a passage that described Potter, Black, Lupin and Pettigrew as students. It described Pettigrew exactly like Neville - less skilled than his friends, clumsy, and so forth. I'd feared that Neville would turn out like Peter, especially in Book 5, until he proved himself in the end.

Old July 30th, 2007, 5:10 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
This is an interesting question. I think that since Neville struggles in so many areas, he had to learn how to ask for help. It's a very hard and often humiliating experience to ask for help that other people don't need, but I think a person is stronger for it afterwards.
That's one of the things I really loved- if it wasn't for Neville's ability to ask for help and recognize that he needed it and what he needed, they could never have succeeded. Really more proof of why Neville truely belonged in Griffindor, it does take a lot of bravery and courage to ask for help.

Do you guys think that after the events of book seven, and if he had learned part or all of Snape's story, would Neville have been able to forgive Snape for the way he was treated during his school days?

Old July 30th, 2007, 5:44 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleyMoley View Post
In Book 3, there was a passage that described Potter, Black, Lupin and Pettigrew as students. It described Pettigrew exactly like Neville - less skilled than his friends, clumsy, and so forth. I'd feared that Neville would turn out like Peter, especially in Book 5, until he proved himself in the end.

I remember reading that passage but I never thought Neville would turn out like Wormtail because in book one he proved how brave he was by standing up to Harry, Ron and Hermione and trying to keep them from getting Gryffindor into even more trouble. Plus Neville himself got into trouble when he was out of bed and trying to warn Harry that Draco was trying to get him in trouble over Norbert/a. That proved that Neville was a stronger person then Wormtail IMO because Wormtail was weak and a follower and Neville wasn't as weak as everyone thought him to be.

"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head. "Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear related humor before you, you go for holey?"

Be kind, use the Search Engine|Search Engine Tutorial
Old July 30th, 2007, 7:43 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnitwit View Post
Do you guys think that after the events of book seven, and if he had learned part or all of Snape's story, would Neville have been able to forgive Snape for the way he was treated during his school days?
I think that Neville lacks all sense of revenge or grudges. We see this already in the battle when he does not look for Bellatrix or does not show any sign of thirst for revenge. This comes pretty much down to the pureness of heart we've also seen in Harry, and I believe that Neville would be able to forgive Snape in the same way Harry forgave Peter.

Allthough I'm sure he wouldn't name his kids after him. He has better taste

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies