Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Old March 10th, 2015, 4:19 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
The lack of recognition for his efforts is from the books, though.
I don't recall any evidence on page that specifically points out that Ron was somehow not recognized for his efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic
TBH, I think there should have been apologies coming from Harry as well once Ron returned.
In all fairness, it was Ron who left, not Harry. Harry did acknowledge Ron's saving his life when the horcrux tried to drown Harry when he tried to get the sword. That's recognition and thanks right there.

Quote:
And as for Ron's lack of effort, we should take into account that the lack of recognition and respect for his every effort during his school years played a big part in things too (helping to save Ginny, standing up to Sirius for Harry, helping him past the Traps to the Stone, the Prefect thing, etc).
Molly hugged Ron and Harry together in Dumbledore's office, saying "You saved her!". That's recognition of Ron's efforts. Standing up to Sirius was something Ron did out of friendship and loyalty to Harry, but that doesn't mean he should have a parade or something. And Ron would probably agree. Ron got them past the chessboard, but it was Hermione who got them out of the Devil's Snare and the logic puzzle. Harry got the key and had to face Quirrellmort. I'd say it was even all around....they went out together to get the Stone; that's why they're referred to as "the trio". Molly gushed over Ron's becoming Prefect (yes, she was surprised, but given Ron's grades and escapades, who can blame her?), and found a way to buy him the new broomstick that he asked for.

Quote:
His siblings all got respect and recognition for doing lesser things, but nothing Ron did seemed to register with anyone.
As noted in the above examples, Ron was recognized when he did well. And Molly was constantly trying to talk George and Fred out of wanting to open a joke shop; she was also hurt and upset about Percy's poor behavior and didn't hide it.

....I miss David Tennant....

Last edited by HedwigOwl; March 10th, 2015 at 4:21 am.
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2015, 4:27 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I don't recall any evidence on page that specifically points out that Ron was somehow not recognized for his efforts.
Everyone forgot about his chess game in SS (And I don't think Harry ever thanked him or Hermione for what they did), Harry didn't thank Ron for rescuing him from the Dursleys or for coming to face Aragog with him, Ginny never thanked Ron for trying to help her in COS, everyone forgot about his special services award in COS, Harry didn't appreciate Ron standing up to Sirius on a broken leg for him, etc.

Quote:
In all fairness, it was Ron who left, not Harry.
Yeah, but Harry more or less told him to leave and never admitted he did wrong. This myopia kind of is a recurring problem for Harry he doesn't seem to outgrow (the whole thing with Cho as well).

Quote:
Standing up to Sirius was something Ron did out of friendship and loyalty to Harry, but that doesn't mean he should have a parade or something.
Harry didn't even think of how he appreciated this, though.

Quote:
Ron got them past the chessboard, but it was Hermione who got them out of the Devil's Snare and the logic puzzle. Harry got the key and had to face Quirrellmort. I'd say it was even all around....they went out together to get the Stone; that's why they're referred to as "the trio".
Yes, but Harry doesn't think of how he appreciated their efforts. He just seems to take them for granted.

Quote:
Molly gushed over Ron's becoming Prefect (yes, she was surprised, but given Ron's grades and escapades, who can blame her?), and found a way to buy him the new broomstick that he asked for.
If a kid passes a hard test, do you say "Good for you!" or do you say "Huh...didn't think you were ever capable of something like that. Maybe I was wrong about your competence."

That neither Harry nor Hermione showed such surprise at Draco becoming a Prefect doesn't come off very good either.

Quote:
As noted in the above examples, Ron was recognized when he did well.
The bare minimum perhaps. Heck, when he was injured by Sirius no one came to see him and when he was nearly strangled to death by the Brains at the Ministry all his family did was send him some chocolate frogs instead of coming to see if he was alright.

Quote:
And Molly was constantly trying to talk George and Fred out of wanting to open a joke shop; she was also hurt and upset about Percy's poor behavior and didn't hide it.
Yes, but Ron's achievements easily eclipse theirs. They eclipse pretty much all his siblings, TBH.

Last edited by ShadowSonic; March 10th, 2015 at 4:42 am.
Old March 11th, 2015, 4:59 am
Curse Breaker

Well, I think there's nothing to pursue in this discussion at this point. I realize you wish the author had written different scenarios regarding Ron, but IMO I don't think it belongs on this thread. As I noted with the examples in my last post, Ron was recognized for his efforts; in fact, if you go back and read the ending of Book 1, not only is Ron recognized in front of the entire school, Percy is bragging to the prefects that Ron got past McGonagall's chess game. And I will just leave it there.

....I miss David Tennant....
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies