Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old August 19th, 2007, 7:37 pm
Claudia's Avatar
Claudia  Undisclosed.gif Claudia is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 5148 days
Posts: 679
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
He dealt with them when he choose to stab the locket instead of succumbing to his feelings of inferiority and letting the sword drop.
You know what? I had the impression that the Horcrux's goal--what it had been trying to accomplish subtly with Ron before he left Harry and Hermione, and then quite openly when it was tormenting him in the forest--was to stop Harry. Before Ron left, the method was to undermine Harry's leadership and make his quest flounder. But in the forest, I thought Riddle was trying to push Ron far enough to kill Harry. What a horrible thought, no?


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #62  
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:30 am
no_seatbelt  Female.gif no_seatbelt is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4076 days
Location: Scotland
Age: 30
Posts: 115
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

I felt that way too! There's a bit when Ron raises the sword just as he is bringing it down to the locket and Harry looks away or something... I can't remember exactly but the wording makes it sound like Harry doubts for a second whether Ron will stab the locket or Harry.


__________________
"I have known for some time now, that you are the better man"


There is no greater pain than to remember, in our present grief, past happiness.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old August 20th, 2007, 5:18 am
snugglepot  Female.gif snugglepot is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4813 days
Location: East Coast of Australia
Posts: 745
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

I was surprised that after all that torment, the Horcrux didn't tell Ron to kill himself instead of destroying it.
It would have been a logical follow-on from the "least loved child" and "Nobody really cares about you " stuff.
It could have said;
"Go on, use the sword! End your miserable, lonely useless life! No-one will care!"
I fully expected that, not Ron to kill Harry as other posters have mentioned.


Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:46 am
mick  Undisclosed.gif mick is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4076 days
Posts: 86
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
I have to disagree. Ron is a character who occasionally gets ruled by jealousy, but I never saw that prevalent to the extent as to lable it one of Ronīs biggest character traits. It certainly comes out very strong when it comes to Hermione, but I donīt think Ron, while definitely feeling overshadowed, is a character who lets constant jealousy define his behaviour. I personally would say jealousy becomes problematic from time to time paired with Ronīs temper. However, his biggest character traits are loyalty (yes, mistakes notwithstanding), protectiveness and bravery.
yeah, definitely, ronjalina! ron doesn't go around wallowing in his own jealousy and self-pity, that's simply not him. he's always been able to put his own flaws, doubts, and insecurities aside to help and support harry, because he loves him like a brother. but, as i've said before, once in a while, they come out and he's suddenly forced to deal. if you look at most of his conversations with harry - when he finds out harry's quidditch captain, for instance, he says, "cool, you're my captain!" - there's really no resentment there.

and i agree about ron's "protectiveness" as well. i actually find that, out of all three of them, he's the most fiercely protective of the other two. if you look at the scenes in malfor manor, or the conversation with scrimgeour, it comes out very clearly. and something i found really sweet was that he was still protecting harry, even after his "death," shouting "he beat you!" when voldemort tried to call harry a coward.


Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old August 20th, 2007, 5:12 pm
ronjalina's Avatar
ronjalina  Female.gif ronjalina is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4562 days
Location: In the Hallows
Age: 53
Posts: 2,046
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia View Post
You know what? I had the impression that the Horcrux's goal--what it had been trying to accomplish subtly with Ron before he left Harry and Hermione, and then quite openly when it was tormenting him in the forest--was to stop Harry. Before Ron left, the method was to undermine Harry's leadership and make his quest flounder. But in the forest, I thought Riddle was trying to push Ron far enough to kill Harry. What a horrible thought, no?
Interesting thought. That presupposes that the locket is able to identify persons, has identified Harry as Harry and I donīt know if that would be possible. The locket was not like the diary after all.

I have just re-read the part that led up to Ron leaving, but I didnīt get the impression the locket specifically wanted to stop Harry. We donīt know exactly how the locket worked. But we have to keep in mind that Harry was a Horcrux himself. Therefore, I think the piece of LVīs soul in the locket would have sensed/recognized the piece of LVīs soul in Harry and tried to protect the Horcrux item (in this case Harry) than to destroy it.

But it is certainly an interesting discussion and maybe you should present it on the Horcrux thread, if you havenīt done that already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
if you look at most of his conversations with harry - when he finds out harry's quidditch captain, for instance, he says, "cool, you're my captain!" - there's really no resentment there.
Thatīs what I forgot to add in my last post. Examples! There are frequent opportunities for Ron to be jealous of Harry and he isnīt. On the contrary.
When Harry becomes the youngest seeker in centuries for the Gryffindor house-team, Ron is enthusiastic. When Harry gets his Nimbus 2000 (a present from McGonagall as we know, although Harry could have afforded a brand-new broom on his own), Ron is amazed. Harry gets his Firebolt, Ron is thrilled. Harry get the Marauderīs Map from the twins, Ron, while a bit miffed that the twins never so much as told him about it, finds it cool that Harry has it now. And then the event you already mentioned, when Harry becomes Quidditch captain.

Quote:
and something i found really sweet was that he was still protecting harry, even after his "death," shouting "he beat you!" when voldemort tried to call harry a coward.
Aww, yes, that was so... *gets teary-eyed*


__________________



Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old August 20th, 2007, 9:42 pm
skedaddle  Female.gif skedaddle is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4062 days
Location: New York
Age: 28
Posts: 100
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

1. Ron is the sixth of the Weasley children. He has endured the hand me downs of his brothers most of his life (and has not always been pleased about doing so!), has been mercilessly picked on by his brothers Fred and George, and constantly complains about his family's finances; in fact his deepest desire in book one was to emerge from the shadow of his family. What influence have these factors had on the development of Ron? In what ways would Ron be different if his family had been different? If they weren't "blood traitors"? If Ron were once again faced with the Mirror of Erised, would he see the same thing he saw as a first year, or has he grown to accept his family more?

I think that the fact that Ron has been shielded by his brothers his whole life gave him a bigger reason to try and strive and pass by them, showing his family what he can really do. After being picked on for so many years and being pushed back in his family for so long, any child would want to stand out. If his family wasn't considered "blood-traitors", there would be a change in his personality for sure. For one, the wizarding world wouldn't be so critical about them, so they wouldn't be outcasts. Mr. Weasley might have a job higher up in the Ministry, and he might be making more money. I don't think that Ron would turn snobbish like Draco or anything like that, but I think that his life would be very drastically different. If he looked in the Mirror today, he wouldn't see himself as surpassing his family, because after what they went through in DH, they are definitely one compact close family. He might see himself with Hermoine though. He fulfilled his dreams that he first saw in the Mirror, he fits in with his family, he helped defeat Voldemort, he destroyed a Horcrux, he was on the Quidditch team with his brothers and sister, hes comfortable with his family now.

3. Despite the issues Ron at times seems to have with being overshadowed by Harry's fame (most notably the Goblet of Fire fight), when it matters most Ron displays unwavering loyalty and friendship to Harry. In Prisoner of Azkaban, Ron stands between Harry and the then suspected murderer Sirius Black telling him, "If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to kill us too!" (PoA 17); he displays the same loyalty in Half Blood Prince when he tells Harry that he will be there on the search for the Horcruxes. How has the loyalty Ron has shown to his friends and family progressed through out the books? When faced with conflicting loyalties (the choice between Percy and Harry in OotP), what factors influence how he chooses his loyalties? Why do you think he left Harry and Hermione in DH? Why do you think he came back?

I think that Ron chose his loyalties because he wanted to mean something to his family for once in his life. Harry Potter is a name that everyone knows in the wizarding world, and if he were to become friends with Harry, everyone in his family would respect him a little bit more. I don't think that he did it out of selfishness or anything, I just think that he found his chance to shine in his family, and he took it. I think that being friends with people with Harry and Hermoine gets a little daunting after a while. Although Ron is very brave and thats something to say, Hermoine is brilliant, and Harry is the Chosen One, and sometimes, you can't live up to that. I think he left because in his mind, he thought that he doesn't fit in; he's the awkward, odd one out in the trio. I think that he came back because he realized the exact opposite, that he needs them and they need him.

4. Ron's strategic mind, which we are first introduced to via his dominance in Wizard Chess, has been displayed in many different manners. How has his ability to think strategically helped Harry throughout the series?

Harry is a good wizard, thats a given in my opinion, but he's not an all around amazing wizard who knows everything. Harry can see spells once and master them, he can fight off Dementors and Lord Voldemort, but what he lacks is a thought process. He wasn't the one to think of gillyweed (though neither was Ron) and he wasn't the one to think to play his way across the chess board. Ron is there to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

5. What did you think of Ron's confrontation with his worst fears when he destroyed the locket horcrux? Do you think this helped him move past them?

Seeing his worst fears was such a sad scene in the book, but when Ron looked at his worst fears, and then looked at who it involves, I think he came to realize that his friends would never do that. His friends took him back after he came back to the forest, he knew that his worst fears would never come true.

6. What do you think Ron's life was like post DH? What careers might he have chosen?

Well we know that he married Hermoine and was still friends with Ron, but JKR said that he and Harry became the highest positions in the Auror Dept. I don't quite remember where I read it, maybe on www.msnbc.com, but I'm not sure or I would post it. I think that at the end of DH he found his place in his family and in the world and was able to break out of his shell and show everyone that he is a great wizard.


__________________


I am McLovin.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old August 21st, 2007, 4:16 am
Claudia's Avatar
Claudia  Undisclosed.gif Claudia is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 5148 days
Posts: 679
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_seatbelt View Post
...the wording makes it sound like Harry doubts for a second whether Ron will stab the locket or Harry.
In case this part of the text comes in handy for future discussion ...
"DH, pg.377 Am. Hardback Ed"Do it, Ron!" Harry yelled.

Ron looked toward him, and Harry thought he saw a trace of scarlet in his eyes.

"Ron--?"

The sword flashed, plunged: Harry threw himself out of the way, there was a clang of metal and a long, drawn-out scream. Harry whirled around, slipping in the snow, wand held ready to defend himself: but there was nothing to fight.


Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglepot View Post
I was surprised that after all that torment, the Horcrux didn't tell Ron to kill himself instead of destroying it.
That would certainly have ended the threat to the Horcrux, I agree! However I'd argue that making Ron kill himself would be counterproductive to the Horcrux's aims--again, I'm working under the assumption that the Horcrux was actively working to possess Ron in the same way that the Diary Horcrux was working to possess Ginny. We get the impression that--the horror!--Riddle just might be succeeding with that "trace of scarlet" line. For Riddle to dispose of Ron right then would be a waste of all the effort he'd put into trying to turn Ron, and foolish too, considering that of the three people he could use, Ron appeared to be the most susceptible to his influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
Interesting thought. That presupposes that the locket is able to identify persons, has identified Harry as Harry and I donīt know if that would be possible. The locket was not like the diary after all.

I have just re-read the part that led up to Ron leaving, but I didnīt get the impression the locket specifically wanted to stop Harry. We donīt know exactly how the locket worked. But we have to keep in mind that Harry was a Horcrux himself. Therefore, I think the piece of LVīs soul in the locket would have sensed/recognized the piece of LVīs soul in Harry and tried to protect the Horcrux item (in this case Harry) than to destroy it.

But it is certainly an interesting discussion and maybe you should present it on the Horcrux thread, if you havenīt done that already.
Off-topic alert! I haven't read the Horcrux thread, but I'll check it out soon! In the meantime, a couple of thoughts. [This is all speculation, and it's hard for me to know when I'm over-interpreting, so I could be completely wrong here.] I think that at the barest minimum (assuming that the Riddle soul-bit was stealing information from Ron and no one else), the Horcrux knew that: 1) the trio had somehow learned Voldemort's secret, and was trying to find and destroy all of Lord V's Horcruxes; and 2) Harry was the leader of the team. This doesn't necessitate the Horcrux having any other information such as Harry's past history with Voldemort, but it is likely that it did have access to that information, as it taunts Ron with Harry's status both as "the Chosen One" and "the Boy Who Lived." At the other extreme, the Horcrux had learned scads of information about Voldemort and Harry Potter from Dolores Umbridge, more about Harry's quest in particular from Ron, and possibly other tidbits from Harry and Hermione.

As for trying to protect the soul-bit in Harry, I'd guess that the Horcrux did not realize it was there--the Diary Horcrux did its darndest to kill Harry in the Chamber of Secrets (although I take your point that the diary and locket are not the same).


Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old August 21st, 2007, 3:52 pm
ronjalina's Avatar
ronjalina  Female.gif ronjalina is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4562 days
Location: In the Hallows
Age: 53
Posts: 2,046
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by skedaddle View Post
If he looked in the Mirror today, he wouldn't see himself as surpassing his family, because after what they went through in DH, they are definitely one compact close family. He might see himself with Hermoine though. He fulfilled his dreams that he first saw in the Mirror, he fits in with his family, he helped defeat Voldemort, he destroyed a Horcrux, he was on the Quidditch team with his brothers and sister, hes comfortable with his family now.
Yes, and he has grown-up. Therefore, standing out from his family, overshadowing his brothers, would not be important to him anymore. Although, in a way, he has already achieved that because he has gone through all this with Harry and he has destroyed a piece of Voldemortīs soul.

Quote:
I think that Ron chose his loyalties because he wanted to mean something to his family for once in his life. Harry Potter is a name that everyone knows in the wizarding world, and if he were to become friends with Harry, everyone in his family would respect him a little bit more. I don't think that he did it out of selfishness or anything, I just think that he found his chance to shine in his family, and he took it.
I donīt see it that way at all. I had the impression the boys clicked instantly and that was genuine. Ron doesnīt strike me as such a calculating person who would think 'Oh, cool. Thatīs the famous Harry Potter. I become friends with him that will make me special'. Both boys had fears regarding their first year at Hogwarts and I think both sensed the other was afraid of the same things and that helped them to come to understand each other so good so quickly.


In a way, I always found Ron becoming friends with Harry quite ironic. Ron hated to be overshadowed by his five elder brothers and the first thing he does is becoming friends with the famous Harry Potter. It was clear from the beginning of their friendship that Ron would get pushed aside a lot in the following years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia
Off-topic alert! I haven't read the Horcrux thread, but I'll check it out soon! In the meantime, a couple of thoughts. [This is all speculation, and it's hard for me to know when I'm over-interpreting, so I could be completely wrong here.] I think that at the barest minimum (assuming that the Riddle soul-bit was stealing information from Ron and no one else), the Horcrux knew that: 1) the trio had somehow learned Voldemort's secret, and was trying to find and destroy all of Lord V's Horcruxes; and 2) Harry was the leader of the team. This doesn't necessitate the Horcrux having any other information such as Harry's past history with Voldemort, but it is likely that it did have access to that information, as it taunts Ron with Harry's status both as "the Chosen One" and "the Boy Who Lived." At the other extreme, the Horcrux had learned scads of information about Voldemort and Harry Potter from Dolores Umbridge, more about Harry's quest in particular from Ron, and possibly other tidbits from Harry and Hermione.

As for trying to protect the soul-bit in Harry, I'd guess that the Horcrux did not realize it was there--the Diary Horcrux did its darndest to kill Harry in the Chamber of Secrets (although I take your point that the diary and locket are not the same).
Ah, yes. Now I see. I will look out for that when I re-read that scene.


__________________



Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old August 22nd, 2007, 1:41 am
no_seatbelt  Female.gif no_seatbelt is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4076 days
Location: Scotland
Age: 30
Posts: 115
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Thank you for the quote! The scarlet eyes! The unanswered question! Fast moving with words like "flash" and "plunge" and the fact Harry throws himself out of the way. Its all a bit quick and I honeslty thought for a second that Harry believed that Ron was going to bring the sword down on him.

And I agree that the horcrux would have sensed, from Harry wearing it and also from when he dived into the pool of water to get the weapon to destroy it, that Harry wanted to destroy the Horcrux and so would have encouraged Ron, who the Horcrux could manipulate more easily, to kill Harry and then leave the way clear to manipulate Ron further into perhaps making it his duty to PROTECT the locket.

Sorry for the off-topicness but I haven't looked at the horcrux thread and this is probably already mentioned in there anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
In a way, I always found Ron becoming friends with Harry quite ironic. Ron hated to be overshadowed by his five elder brothers and the first thing he does is becoming friends with the famous Harry Potter. It was clear from the beginning of their friendship that Ron would get pushed aside a lot in the following years.
I agree with you here! I definitely think it was a natural connection to each other. At frist I imagine Ron got on so well with him because they were both overshadowed in their family homes and both had things to bring to the friendship for example Ron's knowledge of the magical world, which Harry knew nothing about, probably made Ron feel less overshadowed as Harry was clinging to his every word. Then I think because of the genuine bond between them Ron was more willing to accept his shunned role, and do it well as he is used to it in his family. I honestly think its easier for Ron to be Harry's friend because he is used to other people he is close to having more attention than him.


__________________
"I have known for some time now, that you are the better man"


There is no greater pain than to remember, in our present grief, past happiness.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old August 22nd, 2007, 6:02 pm
ronjalina's Avatar
ronjalina  Female.gif ronjalina is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4562 days
Location: In the Hallows
Age: 53
Posts: 2,046
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_seatbelt View Post
I agree with you here! I definitely think it was a natural connection to each other. At frist I imagine Ron got on so well with him because they were both overshadowed in their family homes and both had things to bring to the friendship for example Ron's knowledge of the magical world, which Harry knew nothing about, probably made Ron feel less overshadowed as Harry was clinging to his every word. Then I think because of the genuine bond between them Ron was more willing to accept his shunned role, and do it well as he is used to it in his family. I honestly think its easier for Ron to be Harry's friend because he is used to other people he is close to having more attention than him.
Bold mine. I agree with what you said. Although, the fact that all the others always seem to get more attention than him, got to him from time to time in later years. He dealt with it admiringly most of the time, shoving his low-self esteem, insecurities and fears into the back of his mind to be there for Harry. Because he was aware that Harry had the more pressing isues. But sometimes it just was too much and he couldnīt help and let his temper get the best of him.

On another thread, I read a very good assessment on how Ron is actually really being overlooked in his family a lot. Inadvertently and certainly not maliciously or because they didnīt love him as much as the others, but due to the circumstances of having so many siblings. I try to find it again and ask the poster if I might quote it here.


__________________



Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old August 22nd, 2007, 6:19 pm
lil_snuffles's Avatar
lil_snuffles  Female.gif lil_snuffles is offline
Animaga terpsichore
 
Joined: 4898 days
Location: California, USA
Age: 28
Posts: 1,708
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

1. Ron is the sixth of the Weasley children. He has endured the hand me downs of his brothers most of his life (and has not always been pleased about doing so!), has been mercilessly picked on by his brothers Fred and George, and constantly complains about his family's finances; in fact his deepest desire in book one was to emerge from the shadow of his family. What influence have these factors had on the development of Ron? In what ways would Ron be different if his family had been different? If they weren't "blood traitors"? If Ron were once again faced with the Mirror of Erised, would he see the same thing he saw as a first year, or has he grown to accept his family more?
Throughout his life, he has been picked on by the Twins, and being overshadowed by Percy, Charlie and Bill. He wants to be the one that stands out. But in the end, by being part of the war, he has risen above the challenge and helped end the war. If he was to see the Mirror of erised again, I don't think he would see what he saw in it when he was a first year. He has grown to except his family, especially after Fred's death.

3. Despite the issues Ron at times seems to have with being overshadowed by Harry's fame (most notably the Goblet of Fire fight), when it matters most Ron displays unwavering loyalty and friendship to Harry. In Prisoner of Azkaban, Ron stands between Harry and the then suspected murderer Sirius Black telling him, "If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to kill us too!" (PoA 17); he displays the same loyalty in Half Blood Prince when he tells Harry that he will be there on the search for the Horcruxes. How has the loyalty Ron has shown to his friends and family progressed through out the books? When faced with conflicting loyalties (the choice between Percy and Harry in OotP), what factors influence how he chooses his loyalties? Why do you think he left Harry and Hermione in DH? Why do you think he came back?
Because of the fact that Ron and the Weasley's are poor, Ron has always been jealous of Harry, theres no doubting that. But once he realizes that Harry never asked for the fame and fortune, he understands a bit better. I believe that the reason why he left Harry and Hermione is because he was a bit frustrated that Harry didn't have a plan like he normally does when he faces challenges like this. He came back because he knows that what he did was wrong and knew that Harry and Hermione needed him.

4. Ron's strategic mind, which we are first introduced to via his dominance in Wizard Chess, has been displayed in many different manners. How has his ability to think strategically helped Harry throughout the series?
He has helped Harry mostly because of the thought process. Example: 1st year when they had to play wizards chess to get to the stone. Ron knew what to do the moment they entered that room and because of that, the were able to win and Harry was able to get the stone.

5. What did you think of Ron's confrontation with his worst fears when he destroyed the locket horcrux? Do you think this helped him move past them?
Yes I believe it helped greatly. When you face your fears, you over come them.

6. What do you think Ron's life was like post DH? What careers might he have chosen?
I believe he will have an amazing life with Hermione. He will become an auror along with Harry (though Harry is in a higher position)


__________________

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old August 23rd, 2007, 1:36 am
PotterGurl08  Undisclosed.gif PotterGurl08 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4069 days
Posts: 443
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

1. What influence have these factors had on the development of Ron? In what ways would Ron be different if his family had been different? If they weren't "blood traitors"? If Ron were once again faced with the Mirror of Erised, would he see the same thing he saw as a first year, or has he grown to accept his family more?

In terms of the development of Ron, these factors have made him insecure. He's ashamed of being poor, and he doesn't feel significant to his family (he's not the oldest or youngest, not the coolest, not the only girl, not a twin...he's just there). If his family had been richer, he'd be more confident. If he hadn't had as many siblings to overshadow him, he would have had an easier time finding his place. I don't think being labeled "blood-traitors" bothered him. The Weasley's are good people who do not hold prejudices and that is something to be proud of.
If he faced the Mirror of Erised after DH, I think he'd see something very different. He's grown to accept who he is. And post DH, I think he'd see his entire family, with Fred still alive and happy, and Percy proud to be with all of his siblings again (which can't happen now, with Fred being killed).

3. How has the loyalty Ron has shown to his friends and family progressed through out the books? When faced with conflicting loyalties (the choice between Percy and Harry in OotP), what factors influence how he chooses his loyalties? Why do you think he left Harry and Hermione in DH? Why do you think he came back?

As Ron matured, he grew more loyal to his friends and his family. He got past his insecurites of not being as 'good' as his friends, and got over feeling like an insignificant member of his family, and this enabled him to become more loyal to them (even though he always was pretty loyal). When faced with conflicting loyalities, like chosing between Percy and Harry, Ron's main influence is the fact that he has a strong sense knowing right from wrong.
In DH, he left Harry and Hermione because of his insecurities, which were being amplified by the horcrux. The locket horcrux made his insecurities increase tenfold because they were so strong to begin with. Thus, they just became unbareable for him. (I find it a similar concept as Harry being the most affected by the dementors because he has such strong terrors in his past, and Ginny being lured to the diary because she so desperately needed to pour her feelings to someone.) Ron came back because once he was on his own and had time to get his head back on straight, his love and loyalty to Harry and Hermione came back in full force.


4. Ron's strategic mind, which we are first introduced to via his dominance in Wizard Chess, has been displayed in many different manners. How has his ability to think strategically helped Harry throughout the series?

This ability helped Harry because sometimes, you really need a strategy. Harry has always been the 'take-action', 'go out and do something', 'think on your feet' type of guy. And this can be very reckless at times. Thus, Harry needed Ron's strategic mind to think things through from time to time. This was Ron's strength in the trio. Hermione was the book-smart one who can find out what everything means and what needs to be done, Ron was the one who could come up with a plan for how to do it, and Harry would be the one to actually go out and do it. This was why the trio worked together so well.

5. What did you think of Ron's confrontation with his worst fears when he destroyed the locket horcrux? Do you think this helped him move past them?

I thought his confrontation was very emotional and explained so much about his character and why he acts the way he does. I've always know Ron has some major insecurities, but the locket horcrux basically put them on the table and taunted Ron until he finally faced them. Destroying the horcrux defintely helped him move past them, and made him become a stronger person.

6. What do you think Ron's life was like post DH? What careers might he have chosen?

I think his life post DH had its ups (marrying Hermione and starting his own family) and downs (dealing with the loss of Fred). But overall, he was able finally be with the love of his life, keep his best friend close, and accept himself. As we know from JKR's chat, Ron works with Fred for the joke shop, and is head of the Auror department at the Ministry of Magic with Harry.



Last edited by PotterGurl08; August 23rd, 2007 at 1:38 am.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:57 am
no_seatbelt  Female.gif no_seatbelt is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4076 days
Location: Scotland
Age: 30
Posts: 115
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGurl08 View Post
[b]If his family had been richer, he'd be more confident. If he hadn't had as many siblings to overshadow him, he would have had an easier time finding his place. I don't think being labeled "blood-traitors" bothered him. The Weasley's are good people who do not hold prejudices and that is something to be proud of.
I don't think that if they were richer Ron would feel differently about being overshadowed. He might not have so many hang ups and insecurities when he came to Hogwarts if they were richer becuase he would have been able to have his own wand, new robes, maybe an owl... That may have made him happier about life at Hogwarts, but he'd still have the many brothers to overshadow him, Harry would still overshadow him.... I don't think money has too much to do with his confidence because "the people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind".

Nice idea that Ron would maybe see his whole family (including Fred) together and happy again if he looked in the mirror of Erised. Its nice, suggests that he finally understands Harry and why he felt it was his duty to do what he had to do.


__________________
"I have known for some time now, that you are the better man"


There is no greater pain than to remember, in our present grief, past happiness.

Last edited by no_seatbelt; August 23rd, 2007 at 12:00 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old August 27th, 2007, 9:11 am
Isolda  Undisclosed.gif Isolda is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4056 days
Posts: 2
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Am I the only one who doesn't want Ron to become an Auror? I always saw this choice as a mix between his insecurities (It's a somewhat "cool" job, that would make him feel important or worthy), and a bit of an adolescent dream.

I think Ron is way past that now, and personally I feel that he should have... how should I word this... a "fun" career.

I love the idea of him working with George, I wanted this since the sixth book when the twins say they wanted to buy Zonko's. Didn’t believe that they run the stores separately and Ron should eventually be in charge the one in Hogsmeade. Quidditch would have been another good choice.


Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old August 30th, 2007, 8:01 am
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4662 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but when re-reading 7 potters, I realized: Ron is the only one of the trio to have killed someone during the series I think. He sent a stunning curse at a death eater while he was escaping with Tonks from Privet Drive and since they were all in the air - as Harry mentioned - the DE would have fallen to his death. I had thought the trio had all escaped the series without causing anyone to die. Hermione was proud that Ron fought in that way and I must say, I am as well. It shows a streghth of character and understanding of the issues facing them that I hadn't thought Ron understood as well as the others. He seemed to get it even better than Harry did at that point. Harry only came to understand after Lupin had sternly told him about it and then Harry had witnessed Tonk's saying what Ron had done. I think he realized Ron would have died other wise and it all became perfectly clear that Lupin and Ron had the right of it - under DE attack, a stunning spell is just fine - even if the DE has to die. Ron who usually came to realizations later (though not always - like with his 'chess' prowess) was the first to the market on this one


__________________

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; August 30th, 2007 at 8:12 am.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old August 30th, 2007, 5:35 pm
ronjalina's Avatar
ronjalina  Female.gif ronjalina is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4562 days
Location: In the Hallows
Age: 53
Posts: 2,046
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but when re-reading 7 potters, I realized: Ron is the only one of the trio to have killed someone during the series I think. He sent a stunning curse at a death eater while he was escaping with Tonks from Privet Drive and since they were all in the air - as Harry mentioned - the DE would have fallen to his death. I had thought the trio had all escaped the series without causing anyone to die. Hermione was proud that Ron fought in that way and I must say, I am as well. It shows a streghth of character and understanding of the issues facing them that I hadn't thought Ron understood as well as the others. He seemed to get it even better than Harry did at that point. Harry only came to understand after Lupin had sternly told him about it and then Harry had witnessed Tonk's saying what Ron had done. I think he realized Ron would have died other wise and it all became perfectly clear that Lupin and Ron had the right of it - under DE attack, a stunning spell is just fine - even if the DE has to die. Ron who usually came to realizations later (though not always - like with his 'chess' prowess) was the first to the market on this one
That disturbs me a bit, since I too had thought the trio ended the series without causing the death of someone. I have argued prior to DH that none of them would kill someone. I have also argued that none of them would use an Unforgivable and Harry uses the Imperius and the Cruciatus, IIRC. But I agree that Ron using a Stunning spell on that DE is shown as the alternative to what Harry did. Both boys act very much on instinct, but Ron is also a chess player. So maybe it was a conscious decision to accept the possibility of causing someoneīs death and use a spell that does not necessarily kill. No one comments on that further, so this DE possibly dying, and Ron being responsible for it, doesnīt seem to bother them too much. And technically, it is still possible that a fellow DE grabbed his stunned colleague and saved him. But it was in self-defense anyway.


__________________



Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old August 30th, 2007, 5:57 pm
Chris's Avatar
Chris  Undisclosed.gif Chris is offline
Custodian of Hades Vault
 
Joined: 4262 days
Location: Monoc Securities
Posts: 4,653
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

It hadn't dawned on me that Ron might have killed the DE, but I'm not too bothered by it. Given the DE's chosen method of attack, it's their own fault if a non-lethal spell kills them. I believe this is the attitude that Kingsley takes - that was a rather dispassionate accounting he gave of how he fared.

I do wonder whether Ron even thought about it much - he might have chosen to block that thought out. Or just not think about it that much.


__________________
RLF_Icons (signature)

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator


Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old August 30th, 2007, 6:06 pm
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4662 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
It hadn't dawned on me that Ron might have killed the DE, but I'm not too bothered by it. Given the DE's chosen method of attack, it's their own fault if a non-lethal spell kills them. I believe this is the attitude that Kingsley takes - that was a rather dispassionate accounting he gave of how he fared.

I do wonder whether Ron even thought about it much - he might have chosen to block that thought out. Or just not think about it that much.
Well I think Jo may have included it in order to validate what Lupin said to Harry. Ron's near death from the DE that he stunned would make Harry realize that he was 'glad' Ron had used the stunning curse and was still alive - despite the fact that the DE more than likely died. I think if Jo wanted us to "know" that none of the trio had killed, she would have had Ron say - 'yeah, his buddy saved him' or something because she had just made a huge point with the whole idea moments before. I think this was another of her examples of the horrors of war and that even a person like Ron, good to his toe nails at heart, would have to kill someone in self defense. He wouldn't feel good about it, but it was necessary and completely justified.

The whole point was to reinforce what Lupin had said; Self-defense is not the same as 'killing with a purpose to merely kill'. I think Harry understood why his using curses other than the disarming spell was warranted as a result - and as was mentioned, he began using more curses after that point, even unforgiveables to protect he and his friends. In self-defense, these curses are indeed morally all right.

As was also pointed out, Kingsleys casual references to killing in self-defense were also likely influential on Harry. But I really believe that the possibility of Ron dying is what impacted him the most. And of course Hermione's reaction was to commend Ron rather than to say, 'oh my god, you killed a DE!' in horror - and Ron's humble if proud response. Still more influence to bring the point home to Harry.

Lupin said "no" when asked by Harry if Harry should kill. That was indicating that shooting off AK curses was not the way to go - that goes over board in self-defense in the wizard world (but not in our world where equal force is allowable and the DE's were after all shooting AK's). But a stunning curse that results in death does allow for the same result - self defense that allows you to remain alive - and that was Lupin's point; what Ron did, what Kingsley did and what Harry should have done, lol. I mean Harry totally lucked out. I think he was indeed being foolish and taking too great of a risk. Ron IMO got it right.


__________________

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; August 30th, 2007 at 7:14 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old August 30th, 2007, 7:08 pm
a_luvi  Female.gif a_luvi is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4494 days
Location: Wandering the Hogwarts Halls
Age: 30
Posts: 34
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

I’ve said it before, I fell in love with Ron from the moment he tried to turn his rat yellow in the Hogwarts Express and I haven’t stopped loving him since. Sure there were times when he got on my nerves but that’s just who he is…he can be thick headed but he can also be one of the best friends you can ever hope for. I think one of the reasons why DH is my favorite book was because of the role Ron played…

Quote:
Deathly Hallows did so very much to develop Ron's character, and demonstrate that, in the trio, he is the spirit. Yes, Hermione is the brains and Harry is the heart, but without Ron, they seem to flounder and flail about. Ron keeps Harry heartened and buoyed and protects and gives emotional support (as well as a challenge!) to Hermione. For the three chapters that Ron was left out of the quest, the text felt laborious, difficult to get through. There were long passages without dialogue, and much repitition of similar scenes. Once Ron returned, destroying the horcrux, the banter between the trio returned, giving Harry the strength to fight onward.
I wholeheartedly agree with this, while I read those chapters I felt like there was some sort of weight pulling on my heart (yeah, maybe I get too into it but oh well…) it was hard for me to get through it because I just couldn’t believe he had left them. He was always there to make sure they took breaks and enjoyed the little things in life; always there to give us a good laugh and make things look less difficult than they really were and like UnderPressure said the strength to fight onward.

Quote:
When I read Ron leaving the first time, I really hated it. In fact, I threw the book over and stopped reading it and fumed. I rationalized in my head that Ron had never been unloyal to Harry/Hermione and the one time he and Harry had conflict through the whole series was in regards to Ron feeling Harry lied to him about entering his name in the goblet. So I was angry that she'd written him doing something he'd never done before, regardless of how inferior he felt about himself.
That’s almost the reaction I had, I was furious with Ron for leaving them (although I have to admit that a really tiny part of me agreed with him when he left. He was frustrated that they weren’t getting anything done regardless of who was at fault. I mean I was frustrated too and having that locket just made things worse for him. Having to face all his insecurities and fears day in and day out couldn’t have been easy at all, so I could also sympathize with him) I remember my jaw dropped when I read that part, I might have even read it several times over just to make sure I had read right. At the same time I knew he just had to come back because it would have been out of character to have him go back to his life like nothing had happened like Harry thought he would.

I think that Ron coming back to them was a big symbol of who he really is. He makes mistakes and even if he takes long to recognize them, he is willing to accept them. He really did a wonderful job of dealing with his insecurities and still being a loyal friend to Harry. I just love Ron flaws and all!


__________________
Ron is the love of my life...although Rupert Grint might take his place
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old September 3rd, 2007, 9:32 am
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 4854 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,036
Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

ATTENTION PLEASE

I'd like to direct your attention to:

REVISED: Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray

Please read it carefully and post accordingly!

And no, you haven't done anything wrong, I'm just making sure everyone reads the revised guidelines.


Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:16 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright Đ MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright Đ its respective owners.