Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Old July 29th, 2007, 8:21 pm
Squee-worthy

Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Although Ron was great and came back, what do others think of his leaving the trio temporarily?

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2007, 8:27 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Godric View Post
Although Ron was great and came back, what do others think of his leaving the trio temporarily?
There is a thread discussing this in the DH discussion area

Ron Weasley´s abandonment in DH

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Old July 30th, 2007, 9:05 pm
First Year

So did Ron work with George or did he become an Auror or both? In JKR's interview on mugglenet she claims that he worked with Fred, but I'm pretty sure in her NBC interview she said he became an Auror.

Old July 30th, 2007, 9:14 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhera1 View Post
So did Ron work with George or did he become an Auror or both? In JKR's interview on mugglenet she claims that he worked with Fred, but I'm pretty sure in her NBC interview she said he became an Auror.
I think he did both. Maybe she'll clarify later but I have an idea that he collaborated with George and the Auror department to develop things for the department to use to revolutionize it. Others think he may have worked there first and become an auror later but I just don't see this. I think Ron would have wanted to become an auror immediately. I guess I'd have to read JK's exact quote to be sure.

Cheers

Last edited by cgold; July 30th, 2007 at 9:16 pm.
Old July 31st, 2007, 3:57 am
Inconceivable!

I caught that descrepancy, too. In the Today show interview, JK Rowling said that Harry and Ron revolutionalized the Auror Department, making it better. In the "on line chat" she said he joined George in the joke shop business. I can see Ron in business with George better than I can see him as an auror. He was a true friend to Harry and fought by his side because Harry needed him. He was interested in being an auror during the Career counseling and when talking to Mad Eye Moody aka Barty Crouch, Jr. But it bothered him that his family had to buy him second hand clothes. He also had to always play second fiddle to the famous Harry Potter, even joking about it in the Epilogue.

George not only lost his twin, but he lost his business partner. Now it is Ron's turn to help the next person who needs him. He has the added benefit of making lots of money, too. I really like the idea of Ron going into business with George, while continuing to help Harry revolutionalize the Auror Department. Maybe he did both.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Last edited by SusanBones; July 31st, 2007 at 4:00 am.
Old July 31st, 2007, 7:10 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
I loved Ron in DH. he was so much better than in the other books in my eyes. He was given more time, and there was more insight into his mind and soul, which was great, because it worked wonders for his character. I think he was better fleshed-out than before, if that's even possible.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Ron has been my favorite character from book one. I think I've liked him better than Harry throughout the series (Sorry Harry, I know you're the star, but that's just me. And it has nothing to do with the actor who plays Ron, although I think he was very well cast). I'm always perplexed by comments that say Ron is annoying or a bad character .

I love the scene where Ron comes back. Getting the sword, destroying the horcrux. It reminded me strongly of the chessboard scene in PS/SS. Ron the knight slaying the dragon.

I loved the comment about how in this scene Ron became a man. It takes a certain level of maturity to face your fears head on like that.
Also agreed.

Really I think Ron finally completed his journey in this book. I wasn't happy he left no as he is my absolute favourite character in the world, but as Harry's achievements grew longer and longer, it seems like Ron's insecurities also grew and it didn't help that he was trying to deal with his emotional attachment to Hermione. And no one around him seemed to realize that.

My personal favourite moment for his, apart from all his great one line jokes and brave moments through out the series, was the Horcrux moment. It was so powerful and emotional and I was so proud of Ron at the end.

Oh and I like to think that Ron did both, be an Auror and help George at WWW. He needs the money for Auror training, maybe it was a part -time job. and George needs the support. Though I always thought Lee Jordan would also join George.

Old July 31st, 2007, 11:22 pm
Second Year

Ron could easily do both jobs. He could help design things for the shop and still be an Auror. Just because Rowling said that he helped George doesn't mean that he was there working in the shop every day.

Old August 1st, 2007, 4:08 am
Second Year

I think he did both as well. you can have two jobs. although if he went from one to the other, i'd like to think he started at the joke shop and then went on to help harry at the ministry. i'm very happy for him.

and what jk said about them getting on the chocolate frog cards and ron saying it was his finest hour was really sweet

Old August 2nd, 2007, 5:45 am
First Year

It might have been posted but on page 83 of the English edition - Ron says Voldemort's name without fear when he teases Hermione about hunting down Voldemort in a mobile library.

Big character moment I would say. Plus, it's interesting when he tells Harry and Hermione to stop saying Voldemort's name because it feels "jinxed" - when at that time it is taboo. Ron always tends to have these good insights that go unnoticed.

Cheers,
Talen

Old August 8th, 2007, 4:46 pm
First Year

1. If Ron had grown up in a different family situation I don't think he would have been very helpful to Harry. Because he had so many siblings he has learned to sit in the background but still shine. Any one else would have dropped Harry because they couldn't stand always being second or third best. Ron has never been the best so he didn't have to deal. He did get jealous occasionally, but that’s human nature.

2.I think it had everything to do with the horcrux. That’s just not like Ron. As everyone has said his insecurities are much greater than the other two so he was affected more. I think Voldermort just knows how to mess with Weasleys. Ginny, Arthur, and Ron. The second he left he wanted to come back, so I think he just needed to get away from it and clear his head,

3.I don' think its strategy except for the chess scene. Other than that I think he just reacts. Harry and him have that in common. That innate sense to save the people around them and ultimately save the day. Ron stood in front of Sirius Black, he jumped in front of Hermonie with the death eaters, and he saved Harry in the woods. He just reacts.

4.Oh my Gosh! This was definitely my favorite scene. Immense props to Voldermort for thinking of that. He definitely hits you where it hurts most. I thought Ron was brilliant. I think that is why Hermonie and him actually, officially get together. He was finally able to overcome his sense of inferiority to Harry when dealing with Hermonie. He realized that Harry may have everything else, but he won't ever have her.

5.J.K. has said that he becomes an auror alongside Harry. I can't really picture Ron as an auror so I assume he got the job because he is bff with Harry. He is probably Harry's little auror sidekick. I bet he loves it and realizes his place is not in the spotlight, but helping out those destined to shine. With the whole helping George thing, If you remember WWW was making things for the ministry, like things to fight dark wizards, so maybe Ron is in charge of the defense system.

Ron is by far my favorite character and I think my heart stopped when Hermonie and him kissed. I can't believe it’s over. At least I have 2 movies with Rupert Grint left.

Last edited by arettaweasley; August 8th, 2007 at 4:49 pm.
Old August 16th, 2007, 2:10 am
Third Year

I loved Ron in this book. I belive the whole locket situation really changed him.

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.
Old August 16th, 2007, 5:12 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I think he did both as well. you can have two jobs. although if he went from one to the other, i'd like to think he started at the joke shop and then went on to help harry at the ministry. i'm very happy for him.

and what jk said about them getting on the chocolate frog cards and ron saying it was his finest hour was really sweet
According to one site, Ron first worked with George at the joke shop. He later became an Auror for the MoM.

Old August 16th, 2007, 5:27 am
Sixth Year

I think it would be possible to help George out and work as an auror for Ron. He could help George out on his days off, or do both part-time. I'm fine with Ron becoming an auror. I know a lot of people who didn't want him to become an auror, but I love the idea of Ron and Harry being partners and revolutinzing the department. They work so well together that it would be a shame not to carry it on into their careers. And I bet Ron was able to use some of George's inventions to help the auror department.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old August 18th, 2007, 4:13 am
First Year

Maybe I read it with Ron-goggles on (he has long been my favorite character)...but I think he almost stole the show in this book! (Until "The Forest Again," that is.) The scenes without him are so dreary. You really feel his absence.

Old August 18th, 2007, 4:49 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauderkitty View Post
Maybe I read it with Ron-goggles on (he has long been my favorite character)...but I think he almost stole the show in this book! (Until "The Forest Again," that is.) The scenes without him are so dreary. You really feel his absence.

I think we all felt that way depending on who our favorite character was. But you were in luck really, because he was in most of the book. My character popped in and out so quickly and so little, I had 100's of pages of dreariness.

Old August 18th, 2007, 5:48 am
First Year

Ha! I had a feeling it was Ron Goggles.
"I'm extremely famous."

Old August 18th, 2007, 11:41 pm
Second Year

1. What influence have these factors had on the development of Ron? In what ways would Ron be different if his family had been different? If they weren't "blood traitors"? If Ron were once again faced with the Mirror of Erised, would he see the same thing he saw as a first year, or has he grown to accept his family more?

I think the first part of this question is redundant... thats like asking my friends what they think i would be like if I didn't come from my family and my background. Ron being the underdog in his family makes his character who he is. Possibly the romance between Ron and Hermione wouldn't have happened if he wasn't a "blood traitor" I think the war has made Ron more aware of how loving and great his family really are. I think the death of Fred certainly would have made him appreciate his family more as he did always seem close with the twins, despite their constant teasing. I also think Hermione has helped him become more aware of his good traits and to develop his emotional side.

3. How has the loyalty Ron has shown to his friends and family progressed through out the books? When faced with conflicting loyalties (the choice between Percy and Harry in OotP), what factors influence how he chooses his loyalties? Why do you think he left Harry and Hermione in DH? Why do you think he came back?

Ron has been so loyal to Harry throughout ALL the books. I think as the series progressed though his bond with Harry has changed. Ron has slowly become a much more independant character from Harry. This isn't to say he is any less loyal but it was nice to see that Ron developed his own character. I was upset he left in DH but I can see how the plot benefitted and also I think it was a really "Ron" way to do things. He isn't really one to admit his faults or talk about his worries and I think the trip had stretched his emotions to breaking point. Ron wasn't comfortable with comitting to the situation when he couldn't see any positive solution or progression. He was affected by his fears that I think he has had for a few books now, that H/Hr were more than just friends. He is also very hot headed and I like that JKR added that he wanted to come back as soon as he left... he acted on impulse and instantly regretted it which is something Ron has done a lot before (PoA when he accused Hr and Crookshanks for Scabbers getting so thin). Again it was obvious that Ron would ignore Percy's advise regarding Harry because he hadn't been that close to Percy, didn't like his pompous attitude and was sure that the rest of his family did not share the same opinion as Percy regarding Harry. Besides, Harry is Ron's best friend and they have a mutual feeling of respect.

4. Ron's strategic mind, which we are first introduced to via his dominance in Wizard Chess, has been displayed in many different manners. How has his ability to think strategically helped Harry throughout the series?

Good question lol! I can't think of an example... although he does always seem to follow a logical thought process... for example recalling that Riddle was at the school 50 years ago, which turned out to be a pretty useful piece of information.

5. What did you think of Ron's confrontation with his worst fears when he destroyed the locket horcrux? Do you think this helped him move past them?
I loved Ron 100% more after that, which is hard because I have loved Ron since book 1. It was nice to finally see his feelings for Hr laid bare and really good to see that he was willing to put his fears behind him for the grester good of the group, even though he must still of had some doubts about H/Hr. I think this really showed us Ron comitting, properly to Harry's task and maturing as a character.

6. What do you think Ron's life was like post DH? What careers might he have chosen?

Well he was an Auror... I assume he was insanely happy since he got the girl too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talenthief View Post
Plus, it's interesting when he tells Harry and Hermione to stop saying Voldemort's name because it feels "jinxed" - when at that time it is taboo. Ron always tends to have these good insights that go unnoticed.

Cheers,
Talen
I love that, and also the fact that we see things from Harry's POV, Harry only complies to try and avoid further arguments and because Ron is in a lot of pain so really Ron doesn't get any credit for saving their skins for the weeks they were camping out. In fact I think that the bit where Harry says Voldemort's name even after Ron warned them it was taboo, is the most irritating part of the book. Honestly I really hate Harry at that point.

There is no greater pain than to remember, in our present grief, past happiness.
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:13 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

1. Ron is the sixth of the Weasley children. He has endured the hand me downs of his brothers most of his life (and has not always been pleased about doing so!), has been mercilessly picked on by his brothers Fred and George, and constantly complains about his family's finances; in fact his deepest desire in book one was to emerge from the shadow of his family. What influence have these factors had on the development of Ron? One of Ron's biggest character traits is his jealousy. This stems from the fact that he is the sixth boy of the family, always getting hand-me-downs from a pet rat to ugly dress robes. He even started school with a hand-me-down wand. He believes that everyone has it better than him. His brother got a new owl and Ron had to start school with Charlie's old wand. It leads to his insecurity, which hurts his relationship with Hermione. If he wasn't so insecure with himself, perhaps the two would have gotten together sooner. Both the jealousy and the insecurity lead to his hatred of Viktor Krum, who was a favorite player of his.

5. What did you think of Ron's confrontation with his worst fears when he destroyed the locket horcrux? Do you think this helped him move past them?I don't think he'll ever totally move past them. It's not that easy. I do think even after he marries Hermione he will wonder if he's the best one for her and all that junk. I do think he is seeing that he is more than just the sixth son of Molly and Arthur, more than just Harry's friend. He's got an important role in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgold
I think the Voldemort thing may have been an error by JK. It seems to me that if Ron said Voldemort there would have been a lot of fanfare and mention made of it. This is Ron afterall. The next thing is that at no point did Ron think it was necessarily righ to say the name. In fact, it turns out that Ron was right all along in not saying the name because Voldemort had a trace on the name
When Ron says Voldemort, it's kind of said in passing, so that no one really has the chance to think twice about it. The first time is when he's making a joke about Hermione packing all those books and the second time they're talking about the overtaking of the ministry. None of it seems like the right time to focus on the fact that Ron's said his name. As for Ron actually saying, like I said, he's saying it in passing, he probably doesn't even notice that he's said it.

As for Rowling saying that Ron became an Auror and then that Ron worked with George, I see it as Ron working with George until George is back on his feet and then he becomes an Auror. He can do both.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old August 19th, 2007, 8:54 am
Second Year

yeah, sometimes ron's insights are quite easily dismissed by the others, and they turn out to be right. it comes with the territory i guess i don't know, is it just me, or is ron one of the unluckiest characters in the series? i find it funny actually. that he has to undergo so many indignities is part of what makes him so endearing.

ah i loved ron in DH. he was brilliant! i really felt for him when he destroyed the locket. he was at his bravest and most loyal in this book. and that's saying something.

Old August 19th, 2007, 8:08 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
One of Ron's biggest character traits is his jealousy.
I have to disagree. Ron is a character who occasionally gets ruled by jealousy, but I never saw that prevalent to the extent as to lable it one of Ron´s biggest character traits. It certainly comes out very strong when it comes to Hermione, but I don´t think Ron, while definitely feeling overshadowed, is a character who lets constant jealousy define his behaviour. I personally would say jealousy becomes problematic from time to time paired with Ron´s temper. However, his biggest character traits are loyalty (yes, mistakes notwithstanding), protectiveness and bravery.

Quote:
I don't think he'll ever totally move past them. It's not that easy. I do think even after he marries Hermione he will wonder if he's the best one for her and all that junk. I do think he is seeing that he is more than just the sixth son of Molly and Arthur, more than just Harry's friend. He's got an important role in life.
I´m afraid I have to strongly disagree again. Ron has been fighting his insecurities for some time, trying to push those thoughts and fears into the back of his mind and just being there for his friends. He already took some steps forward in HBP, but there were still some very deep insecurities left when it came to Hermione´s feelings for him, his role in the trio and his relationship to his mother. He dealt with them when he choose to stab the locket instead of succumbing to his feelings of inferiority and letting the sword drop. That was a visually very, very powerful scene with a lot of built up ín the previous chapters - the influence of the locket, the big argument between Ron and Harry, Ron running off, Ron returning in time to save Harry´s life and retrieve the sword from the pond - JKR would not have worked that out so detailed and visually had she imagined for Ron to still feel inferior and not good enough for Hermione. No, that has been dealt with with the nasty locket.

Quote:
As for Rowling saying that Ron became an Auror and then that Ron worked with George, I see it as Ron working with George until George is back on his feet and then he becomes an Auror. He can do both.
That´s what I think as well. Maybe JKR will clear that up eventually. Or maybe she shouldn´t. Thus we all can have our own imagination on what Ron does when in his career.

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies