Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Old July 27th, 2007, 9:08 pm
Banned

Re: Ronald Bilius Weasley: Character Analysis

Well, in this book Ron realizes that he "wants" Hermione i think.

Really bad.

I mean, he already know that he loves her, but in the 7 book he realize that he wants her next to him for the rest of his life.

That's not more just an idea, that's at last something he wants to become true.

And clearly he does all what he can do for that.

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:39 pm
Seventh Year

Did no one other than me notice that Ron has finally said Voldemort“s name in DH?

Quite unnoticed by Harry and Hermione, btw.

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:13 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
Did no one other than me notice that Ron has finally said Voldemort“s name in DH?

Quite unnoticed by Harry and Hermione, btw.
hey ronjalina, could you quote that for me?! I completely missed that.

Old July 28th, 2007, 12:22 am
Third Year

I loved Ron in DH! He finally became an adult. It didn't really matter to me that he left Harry, I loved him even more for doing that because to me, it was braver for him to leave and then come back, then if he hadn't left at all. I also loved how part of his anger at Harry was related to Ginny, I think that his protectiveness over her is so awesome. I want a brother like that! The part where he wielded the sword of Gryffindor against the scenes of Riddle-Harry and Riddle-HErmione kissing in the background was so amazing! I felt so bad for him as he sobbed away after that! Three cheers for Ronald!!!

Old July 28th, 2007, 12:44 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I missed it too! Where was that? Anyone know yet?

Old July 28th, 2007, 1:07 am
Second Year

Ron has been my favorite character from book one. I think I've liked him better than Harry throughout the series (Sorry Harry, I know you're the star, but that's just me. And it has nothing to do with the actor who plays Ron, although I think he was very well cast). I'm always perplexed by comments that say Ron is annoying or a bad character .

I love the scene where Ron comes back. Getting the sword, destroying the horcrux. It reminded me strongly of the chessboard scene in PS/SS. Ron the knight slaying the dragon.

I loved the comment about how in this scene Ron became a man. It takes a certain level of maturity to face your fears head on like that.

Old July 28th, 2007, 2:52 am
Third Year

Ron says Voldemort in GP when Lupin is talking about Voldermort having taken over the ministry.
"Why didn't Voldemort declare himself Minister of Magic?" asked Ron.

I loved when Ron mumbles about Hermione always sounding surprised when he does something smart. I was very impressed with his plan for the ghoul to impersonate him.

Edit: I think he says his name earlier actually, something about going after Voldemort in a mobile library.

Last edited by SFHPW; July 28th, 2007 at 3:34 am.
Old July 28th, 2007, 5:28 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFHPW View Post
Ron says Voldemort in GP when Lupin is talking about Voldermort having taken over the ministry.
"Why didn't Voldemort declare himself Minister of Magic?" asked Ron.

I loved when Ron mumbles about Hermione always sounding surprised when he does something smart. I was very impressed with his plan for the ghoul to impersonate him.

Edit: I think he says his name earlier actually, something about going after Voldemort in a mobile library.
Page 83 UK version: "Oh, of course," said Ron, clapping his hand to his forehead, "I forgot we'll be hunting down Voldemort in a Mobile Library."

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old July 28th, 2007, 4:59 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

I loved Ron in DH. he was so much better than in the other books in my eyes. He was given more time, and there was more insight into his mind and soul, which was great, because it worked wonders for his character. I think he was better fleshed-out than before, if that's even possible.

Old July 28th, 2007, 7:46 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
horcrux4 has already found the quote. What I found interesting is that neither Harry nor Hermione react to that. In previous books, when Ron always flinched at someone saying Voldemort, Hermione was very quick to criticize.

I think throughout the book, we get little hints, signs, moments that show us that Ron matures. But his big defining moment was destroying the locket. IMHO, he was a hero throughout that scene. Saving Harry“s life, retrieving the sword and thus cementing the fact that he is a true Gryffindor, admitting he had been wrong and apologizing (which is a character strength, IMO, not many people find that easy), facing his fears and insecurites, which I pesonally find very strong and brave, destroying the Horcrux and thus symbolically defeating his inner demons once and for all.

After that incident, he was a fully grown-up, but still typically Ron Weasley with his funny remarks ą la 'all is fair in love and war... and this is a bit of both'.

Old July 29th, 2007, 3:00 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Ron Weasley in DH is by far my favourite Ron Weasley. No doubt about that. He was simply awesome in Deathly Hallows and my favourite character this time around although Dumbledore and Harry are still my favourite overall characters with Ron coming in third. I think it's because Harry and Hermione came off slightly unrealistic although still great but I think they had to in order to accomplish what they did so JK gave most of the realism and well-written and interesting behaviour to Ron.

I think the Voldemort thing may have been an error by JK. It seems to me that if Ron said Voldemort there would have been a lot of fanfare and mention made of it. This is Ron afterall. The next thing is that at no point did Ron think it was necessarily righ to say the name. In fact, it turns out that Ron was right all along in not saying the name because Voldemort had a trace on the name.

Cheers

Old July 29th, 2007, 5:46 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
horcrux4 has already found the quote. What I found interesting is that neither Harry nor Hermione react to that. In previous books, when Ron always flinched at someone saying Voldemort, Hermione was very quick to criticize.
And it was Ron's funniest line in the book too

Old July 29th, 2007, 7:32 am
Lycanthrope

hadn't remembered Bilius as his middle name. That is kind of interesting. His brother was Bill. I wonder if it was Bill Ronald or something. Kinda cool.

Old July 29th, 2007, 7:37 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
hadn't remembered Bilius as his middle name. That is kind of interesting. His brother was Bill. I wonder if it was Bill Ronald or something. Kinda cool.
I assume that Bill is short for William, while Bilius was the name of one of Ron's uncles I beleive.

Old July 29th, 2007, 7:40 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
I assume that Bill is short for William, while Bilius was the name of one of Ron's uncles I beleive.
ah yeah, lol. oh well, there goes yet another theory!

Old July 29th, 2007, 10:42 am
First Year

I posted this on another thread but it seems quite relevent to this thread as well so I copy and put it here. I include the original comment that I respond to.

Quote:
Originally posted by kitkatcake1988
The weird aspect about Ron's character is that he got most of his shining moments at the beginning of the series, where Jo established him as the loyal best friend (Chess scene in SS, Chamber of Secrets, defending Harry in PoA). Actually I would say his most stand-out moment, up until DH, is the Chess scene in Sorcerer's Stone, where he showed great courage, tactical skill and composure. To give Ron his big scene that early on in the series makes him look more immature later one when he kind of lags behind the other two.
I agree completely. Jo's development of Ron has always intrigued me. He was promised so much as a character in the first few books then seemed to have taken turn not exactly to the worst but to become much less heroic than the earlier materials have us anticipated. His insecurity became such a big issue that it overshadowed his accomplishment and gift, such as loyalty and strategic mind. Saving Harry's life is of course a hugh thing but coming after his abandonment, that has felt like an atonement more than anything else. Ron's character seems more lackluster when compared to the way Neville was developed. In my opinion, Neville had a bigger insecurity's and self-esteemed issue than Ron and yet he circumvented all that and became a true hero, as much a hero as Harry. he became de facto leader of the rebel in Harry's absence, faced Voldemort even when he realized Harry had died, and destroyed Nagini as Harry asked him to. I am a little disappointed in Ron or the way Jo developed him to be exact.

Old July 29th, 2007, 11:21 am
First Year

I didn't like the way Ron referred to Voldemort as someone who needed respecting in DH - that seemed out of character. However, I was happy to see him overcome his self-esteem issues and finally be able to commit to his role in the war as one of Harry's best supporters without getting all hung-up on not being as good as him or thinking Hermione likes him better.

That being said, 1) I wish he'd had a chat to Viktor and resolved his jealousy somehow in person, and 2) I don't think he let Hermione destroy the cup JUST to share, I suspect a part of him was worried it would say the things the locket had, and Hermione would hear & see it and think he was a dill!

Old July 29th, 2007, 11:46 am
Second Year

yay, ron support! i love this guy, i really do...partly because i think that if i ever came along on a big-scale adventure like the trio, i'd definitely not be a great leader like harry, or someone like hermione who thinks of everything. no, i'd definitely be ron. but i don't know if i could be as brave, coming back like that.

he IS extra-awesome in this last book! i'm so happy other people share this sentiment. yay ron!

Old July 29th, 2007, 11:51 am
Sixth Year

If you asked me, he overcame those issues in book 4, after all three of them risked their lives for each other they at least should be a steadfast team. Ron's breakdown was completely out of place if you asked me.

Old July 29th, 2007, 6:25 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapelicious View Post
I didn't like the way Ron referred to Voldemort as someone who needed respecting in DH - that seemed out of character. .
Yes, that seemed OOC. I have to re-read that part, I am not sure. Didn“t her wear the locket already when he said that? At least the trio already had the locket with them, so maybe it was the influence of it. And a way for JKR to show that Ron was more susceptible to the influence of the locket.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies