Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Narcissa Malfoy: Character Analysis

Old August 14th, 2007, 8:44 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Narcissa Malfoy: Character Analysis

i'm not saying she would pick Bella over Draco but you retorically ask why he should care about her. The fact that let's her, Voldemort's most devoted and radical follower, go with her as she betrays the Dark Lord shows that she cares... or at least doesn't realise what Bellatrix has become. The fact that Bella makes no serious attems to spot her proves that she still cares for her as well, she just doesn't see what's wrong with sacrificing your son for Lord Voldemort's cause.

Old August 14th, 2007, 9:01 pm
Master Seer

I'm sorry, I read your post three times now, and I'm still not getting it. Can you rephrase that?

Old August 14th, 2007, 9:10 pm
Sixth Year

I think that in your post (the wall of text one) you painted a pretty bleak picture. Her mission: Save Draco, everyone else are just instruments. I'm trying to prove that she did care about Bella.

Old August 14th, 2007, 9:21 pm
Master Seer

ah, now I get it, thanks

the loong one, yeah, now we're 'on the same page'. Actually, I was just thinking along, trying to find an interpretation for the fact that JKR said she set her heart on calling Narcissa Narcissa, and not follow the usual naming pattern for the Blacks.

I absolutely agree with you, she did care for Bella to a certain extent (I think I said that somewhere further down on the same page). The loooong post tried to adopt the clinical view of the quoted psychiatrist. I didn't mean to say that Narcissa was 100% molded after that pattern, but that there are certain tendencies in her behaviour (like cursing Bella - 'Your own sister, Cissy? You wouldn't -'.....'There's nothing I wouldn't do anymore!') pointing into that direction.

Old August 14th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Sixth Year

Narcissa Malfoy may have just had a nice ring too it.

Old August 14th, 2007, 9:29 pm
Master Seer

Well, in the original draft that would have Narcissa Spungen or Narcissa Sphinks.

Damn it, we could have drawn so much out of the latter one, couldn't we

ah, I just unearthed something!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBP, 'Draco's Detour
“Put those away,” she said coldly to Harry and Ron. “If you attack my son again, I shall ensure that it is the last thing you ever do.”
Harry does attack Draco again. In fact, he nearly kills him. And what does Narcissa do eventually? She covers for him

Last edited by Fleur du mal; August 18th, 2007 at 4:45 pm.
Old August 21st, 2007, 7:16 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Well, she isn't a Death Eater, she and Lucius clearly seem to put family- the screwy pureblood concept of it anyway- first, she only turned against Voldemort when he set up the plan to get DRaco killed..

Old August 21st, 2007, 8:38 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal
When Narcissa finally 'meets' Harry - what is she presented with? Yes, that kid has humiliated her son, has cursed him, has even accidentally got him killed, almost. But what she knows about him, too, is how he saves people thoroughly unconnected to himself (Griphook), spares them (Stan Shunpike), and how he is REALLY good in standing up to/escaping from Voldemort. Voldemort is the opponent Narcissa can never overcome herself, but Harry at least has a theoretical chance (and seeing him survive Avada Kedavra again might have dispelled the last doubts on the subject). With Voldemort in power, Narcissa and her loved ones don't have a chance to survive on the long run, and she knows it. So if there is anything she can do to prevent that, she's bound to act on that impulse, even if that means helping someone she's considered as her personal enemy for a long time, in the 'the enemy(Harry) of my enemy(Voldemort) is my friend' kind of sense.
This is what changed my mind about Cissy - that unlike her sister Bella, she wanted to protect her family more than anything. Voldemort moved into her house, abused (and wanted to kill) her son, took her husbands wand (leaving him defenseless), and then sort of laughed at her when she just wanted to know if her son was alive.

Cissy knew that life was not going to be good with Voldy in charge - she experienced it first hand - and sort of like Harry, she just seems to want a nice peaceful life with her nice little family.

She may be arrogant - but she's also strong enough not to have become a full on Death Eater - how did she get out of that one? I was surprised to find myself liking Cissy at the end of the book - even after I learned that she gave Draco her wand knowing he was heading into the castle to possibly find Harry - but then goes and, in her mind (I think), saves Harry.

I really wanted Harry to approach the Malfoys while they were sitting there in the Great Hall, and just look at Narcissa and say 'thanks', and pat Draco on the shoulder. Like make peace with them in that moment. I'm glad we saw it in the epilogue, but would have liked to see it in that moment.

Old August 21st, 2007, 8:54 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I was surprised to find myself liking Cissy at the end of the book - even after I learned that she gave Draco her wand knowing he was heading into the castle to possibly find Harry - but then goes and, in her mind (I think), saves Harry.
I don't think she gave Draco her wand for that reason. She must have given him her wand after the Easter holidays simply to make him capable of going back to Hogwarts - what's he supposed to be doing there without a wand, after all?

Last edited by Fleur du mal; August 21st, 2007 at 9:04 pm.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:57 am
Hogwarts Graduate

True enough. And he could hardly have gone back to school owning up to Harry having wrested his wand from him by force....
I still do wonder, though, what Narcissa might have been like if she hadn't absorbed the Black pureblood prejudices so throughly. She's nowhere near as insane as Bellatrix, but a far cry from Andromeda- sort of a middle line, if a strange one- and I wonder what she'd have done if she'd fallen for a half-blood or Muggle-born wizard, her marriage with Lucius sounds like it was an arranged one (but then that's my inference from what Sirius says, so...)

Old August 26th, 2007, 5:43 am
Second Year

My first thought through most of reading thru DH was that Narcissa was just trying to preserve her family's skin (which she was); I also thought - looks like a DE, Smells like a DE, etc..has to be a DE by her remaining with them even though her heart wasn't in it. Then, at the end of the book, when she saved Harry's life by lying to Valdemort, I think that act redeemed her.

Old August 28th, 2007, 5:25 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatus_Benevol1 View Post
My first thought through most of reading thru DH was that Narcissa was just trying to preserve her family's skin (which she was); I also thought - looks like a DE, Smells like a DE, etc..has to be a DE by her remaining with them even though her heart wasn't in it. Then, at the end of the book, when she saved Harry's life by lying to Valdemort, I think that act redeemed her.
I think that her reluctance and her going with the DE's just to save her own skin started between OoTP and HBP - basically as soon as Voldy decided to punish Lucius by having Draco try and kill DD.

Narcissa started on the spectrum between Andromeda (blood traiter) and Bella (super fanatic) a bit more towards Bella. But, by the end, she was certainly more towards Andromeda.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 9:32 am
MODLY CREW

ATTENTION PLEASE

I'd like to direct your attention to:

REVISED: Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray

Please read it carefully and post accordingly!

And no, you haven't done anything wrong, I'm just making sure everyone reads the revised guidelines.

Old September 19th, 2007, 2:01 am
I want to believe

1. Is she a Death Eater?
I don't believe Narcissa ever was a Death Eater, though I do think she supported the Death Eaters and their ideals. She didn't have to be a Death Eater to help or support them.

2. Did Narcissa know of Lucius's intent to use Voldemort's diary to re-open the CoS? Was she part of the plan or did she try to stop him?
I doubt it. That seemed like something Lucius was trying to do for his own benefit. He was trying to get Arthur Weasley discredited by having his daughter be the one to open the CoS. I don't think she knew about it at all, but there's probably no way to know for sure.

3. How does she feel now that her husband has been captured, exposed, and imprisoned as a Death Eater?
Afraid for the rest of her family, no doubt. I'm sure she's not too happy at what happened to her husband and she's likely worried that she and her son may also suffer some punishments.

4. Why allow her son, who is not of age, to become a Death Eater? Was she proud at first? Was she fearful, once his task was set for him?
I'm not sure she had a choice in allowing him to become a Death Eater - if he didn't, Voldemort was threatening their family. Judging from the way she reacted in HBP, if things had been different she would have done everything possible to keep Draco from joining the Death Eaters. She may have supported their ideals, but wasn't willing to go as far as Voldemort was. I'm sure she was extremely fearful once Draco's task was set, which is why she goes to Snape for help.

5. We know that she has contact with Bellatrix, Draco even took lessons from Bella over the summer, but what relationship, if any, does she have with Andromeda & Tonks?
Probably none. She likely didn't want to associate with them, like most of her family, since Tonks was a muggle and Andromeda was a "blood traitor".

6. How did Narcissa feel about Sirius Black? Did she know he wasn't a Death Eater? Did she know he was innocently sentenced to Azkaban? How did she react to his death at the hands of her sister?
She likely disliked him greatly, though probably not as much as Bellatrix hated her cousin. She may have known he was wrongly accused of being a Death Eater, I"m not really sure. I'm sure she was delighted that her sister killed him though.

7. Will 'Cissy' be punished for seeking help from Severus? Will we see her in the final book? What role will she play?
We now know exactly what role she played. Personally I was very happy with her role - she helped Harry a great deal during a crucial time. Even more, she demonstrated the power of love once again and how it always works to Voldemort's detriment.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 20th, 2007, 9:04 am
Fifth Year

In the forest, Cissy knew that the only way to rid her family of 'The Dark Lord', once and for all was for Harry to kill him. She knew Harry was 'the chosen one', and after Voldemort living in her home and treating her family like dirt...she wanted to be well rid of him!
Would she choose Draco over Bella.....Draco is her son!

Old September 20th, 2007, 9:58 am
First Year

I dont think Narcissa was a DE she was just loyal to her family. But when she realised that her family were in danger she knew she had to do whatever it took to protect them. The gentle way in which she checked to see if Harry was alive proved that she did have a heart and was not all bad.
I dont think she would want the death of a child on her conscience.

Old October 26th, 2007, 8:55 pm
First Year

No way was Narcissa Malfoy a Death Eater. It says so on Wikipedia.org. It says she shared the same views of muggle-borns as her husband, but never joined the Death Eaters.
As far as her protecting Draco...it makes complete sense. I know because I'm an only child and where I live if there are police anywhere...my mom won't let me go out there AT ALL. Truth be told its quite annoying...but I mean..she's trying to protect her only child. Isn't that was Narcissa is doing?? She's protecting her child...and Draco's the only one she'll have.

Old October 26th, 2007, 9:24 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadows001 View Post
No way was Narcissa Malfoy a Death Eater. It says so on Wikipedia.org. It says she shared the same views of muggle-borns as her husband, but never joined the Death Eaters.
As far as her protecting Draco...it makes complete sense. I know because I'm an only child and where I live if there are police anywhere...my mom won't let me go out there AT ALL. Truth be told its quite annoying...but I mean..she's trying to protect her only child. Isn't that was Narcissa is doing?? She's protecting her child...and Draco's the only one she'll have.
Although I agree with you on Narcissa never being a proper Death Eater, I doubt that wikipedia always has the ultimate answer. You may want to double check HP information on The Harry Potter Lexicon.

Old October 26th, 2007, 9:37 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadows001 View Post
She's protecting her child...and Draco's the only one she'll have.
So you're making the assumption that she's not 'evil' enough to be incapable of loving her son, even though her husband was Voldy's right-hand man before his first downfall?
Assuming you're right, then, she would (and did) choose Draco over Bella. I think she saw the bad in Bella as clearly as she saw Harry had to live to defeat Voldy.

Old October 27th, 2007, 6:10 am
First Year

Of course. It showed that she wasn't evil enough in HBP...when she's begging Severus to change Voldemort's mind. She's highly protective of her son.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies