Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Narcissa Malfoy: Character Analysis

Old August 5th, 2007, 2:19 am
Third Year

Re: Narcissa Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal View Post
no, Draco is seven or eight weeks older than Harry; Harry was 15 month old when Voldemort disappeared. And even though it is of course possible that they got married after Draco was born, I don't think it's likely
Oh, okay. I was going off the 'Narcissa was 25', I was assuming she was in Lucius' year, and Lucius was a fifth year when Snape, Lily, and James were in first. So I was putting her at four years older than the group, and we know that Lily and James were 21 when they died, so that would theoretically have put Narcissa at 25. But I may be overthinking the dates more than JKR.

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2007, 4:15 am
Second Year

We are given a date on the Black Family tapestry of 1955 for Narcissa. We can also figure Lucius' birth year. Since according to the dates on James and Lily's graves in DH, their year was 1959-60. Severus was also in that year. According to The Prince's Tale, Lucius was a prefect when Severus was admitted to Slytherin. Therefore, his birth year cannot be earlier than 1953-4. Also, in GoF, Rita Skeeter interviews Lucius, and his age is given as 41. As GoF takes place during 1994-5, this would confirm Lucius' year as 1953-4.

Old August 5th, 2007, 5:03 am
Third Year

Thank you, dbear. I am now really curious to resolve this! Does anyone remember where the 'Narcissa married at 25' came from? I realize this is a minor point, but I think there's a huge difference in Narcissa's character, depending on when she married Lucius.

Old August 5th, 2007, 5:22 am
Second Year

Narcissa was 24 or 25 when Draco was born, depending on when in the year is Narcissa's birthday. We know Draco's is June 5. Now, being a proper pureblood, Narcissa would've married Lucius at least nine months earlier, meaning 1979 at the latest.

Old August 5th, 2007, 5:24 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Hmm...i don't have the info in front of me, but if there's a dates discrepancy, remember JK and math don't mix. At least one or two characters on the Black family tree have dates of birth that don't match up with info from other sources in canon. So that could be the explanation.

I softened up on Narcissa over the course of HBP and DH. I'd already viewed her as the middle in the continuoum between Bella and Andromeda, but she moved more towards Andromeda. And her question of Harry was both heartwarming and heartbreaking. In the end, she knew love and was able to love, and that moved her away from the views of Voldemort and Bella.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 5th, 2007, 6:34 am
Third Year

Ah, thanks, chparadise, that would explain it! I give up entirely on the math, then, and simply go by when we know Draco was born.

Old August 5th, 2007, 6:41 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowheart View Post
Ah, thanks, chparadise, that would explain it! I give up entirely on the math, then, and simply go by when we know Draco was born.
Here's the HP Lexicon's analysis (a great resource, for figuring out things like this):
http://www.hp-lexicon.org/about/exp-ages.html

Back to Cissy...I originally thought that if Draco had been dead and Harry said so, she would have said Harry was still alive. But now I'm not so sure. Anyone agree?

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 5th, 2007, 8:48 am
Third Year

not sure either! i thought she would have given harry up. but i think the news would have devestated her, and she would not want the person she would believe responsible (namely LV) to win. and she'd want to get to the school as quickly as possible to see for herself. i think she might still have lied.

Old August 5th, 2007, 11:38 am
Master Seer

@purplehawk - about the Chamber of Secrets.

I might be mistaken (though I'm usually right as far as the sheer facts about the Malfoys are concerned ) - didn't JKR plan, but discard, a chapter for CoS where we see Draco and Theodore Nott together because their fathers are conversing behind closed doors? I always thought this would have been the 'talk' that Dobby picks up on, those two old Death Eater buddies discussing the Chamber.

Old August 5th, 2007, 12:24 pm
First Year

Quote:
...and also why she goes along with a lot of Lucius' prejudices-he would then have already compromised his previous values greatly in order to win her love.
Actually, JKR did say that Narcisa shared all of her husbands views on muggle-borns but she was never a Death Eater. She didn't go along with his prejudices, she shared them.

It's very clear that Lucius was less than thrilled when Voldemort returned and I doubt he would want Narcissa to join. I doubt she would either.

Edit: nevermind my mistakes.

Last edited by luxlight; August 5th, 2007 at 2:50 pm.
Old August 5th, 2007, 2:01 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxlight View Post
Actually, JKR did say that Narcisa shared all of her husbands views on muggle-borns but she was never a Death Eater.

It's very clear that Lucius wasn't at all thrilled when Voldemort returned and he didn't participate in certain DE events (he ignored the calling, the signs and mark), such as the 'torturings of muggle-borns' at the Quidditch World Cup, which made Voldemort question his loyalty. Somehow Lucius got off the hook for that one - he's good at manipulating, like he tried to manipulate Voldemort in DA into allowing him to search for his son. I doubt Lucius would want Narcissa to ever join the Death Eaters.
I'm sorry, I think I'm mistaking you... Lucius did follow the call. He did partake in the muggle-assaulting at the World Cup, at least Voldemort thinks that
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoF, Bloomsbury, p. 564
'... your exploits at the Quidditch World Cup were fun, I dare say... but might not your energies have been better directed towards finding and aiding your master?'

Old August 5th, 2007, 2:33 pm
First Year

Quote:
I'm sorry, I think I'm mistaking you... Lucius did follow the call. He did partake in the muggle-assaulting at the World Cup, at least Voldemort thinks that
Hmmm, got slightly confused about who did what and when. Ok, nevermind then, sorry. I did edit the other post.

Last edited by luxlight; August 5th, 2007 at 2:39 pm.
Old August 5th, 2007, 3:11 pm
Third Year

Hmmm. So she shared his prejudices towards the Muggleborn..but that doesn't mean she necessarily wanted a career of murder and the like for her son-possibly because she saw what happened to all the Death Eaters the first time. She may have wanted Draco to have a happy life, uninterrupted by such matters, and that's why she thought he wouldn't have needed the Dark Arts of Durmstrang.

Old August 5th, 2007, 3:26 pm
First Year

Quote:
Hmmm. So she shared his prejudices towards the Muggleborn..but that doesn't mean she necessarily wanted a career of murder and the like for her son-possibly because she saw what happened to all the Death Eaters the first time. She may have wanted Draco to have a happy life, uninterrupted by such matters, and that's why she thought he wouldn't have needed the Dark Arts of Durmstrang.

Yes, that' true. Despite everything, both Narcissa and Lucius loved their son and that was all that mattered for them, in the end.

As for their marriage, Lucius has so many different sides to him and not all of them unpleasant I would think. There are some charming qualities to him (beside the gorgeous looks), which attracts the women, like moths to a flame (I would imagine). Of course, what made the union possible was that they did share the same values and views, same backgrounds as they're both purebloods and born into wealthy families but that doesn't necessarily mean it was arranged and loveless. Perhaps they simply fell in love? It happens to the best and worst of people.

Last edited by luxlight; August 5th, 2007 at 3:31 pm.
Old August 5th, 2007, 3:33 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowheart
Hmmm. So she shared his prejudices towards the Muggleborn...
I think we're coming back to the idea of indifference. Narcissa detested muggles and muggle-borns - but her dislike didn't go far enough to act on that idea. That's as good as it is bad, most of all, it's so shockingly normal. The utmost majority of people is like this. No matter how much they dislike something, they're not going to do something about it. Most racists don't become killers. Just like most of us merry, good people round here don't act to fight the things we hate either, be it world hunger, oppression or injustice.

Quote:
but that doesn't mean she necessarily wanted a career of murder and the like for her son-possibly because she saw what happened to all the Death Eaters the first time. She may have wanted Draco to have a happy life, uninterrupted by such matters, and that's why she thought he wouldn't have needed the Dark Arts of Durmstrang
That is a very good idea, I think. Yes, no mother wants to see her son go to war, all the more when she back then had that first-hand perspective of Lucius fighting. How frightened she must have been for his sake.

Last edited by Fleur du mal; August 5th, 2007 at 3:38 pm.
Old August 5th, 2007, 3:36 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Slly move, then. I'm pretty sure that sending him to Durmstrang would keep him well out of harm's way.

Old August 5th, 2007, 3:41 pm
Renegade

Quote:
@purplehawk - about the Chamber of Secrets.

I might be mistaken (though I'm usually right as far as the sheer facts about the Malfoys are concerned ) - didn't JKR plan, but discard, a chapter for CoS where we see Draco and Theodore Nott together because their fathers are conversing behind closed doors? I always thought this would have been the 'talk' that Dobby picks up on, those two old Death Eater buddies discussing the Chamber.
I did read about her abandoning that chapter, yes. But who's to say Narcissa wasn't "in" on their discussion? During Voldemort's take-over of the Malfoy's manor, she sat there at the table day after day. She was informed enough to know how to manipulate Kreacher and gain information that was passed on to Voldemort.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old August 5th, 2007, 3:54 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I did read about her abandoning that chapter, yes. But who's to say Narcissa wasn't "in" on their discussion? During Voldemort's take-over of the Malfoy's manor, she sat there at the table day after day. She was informed enough to know how to manipulate Kreacher and gain information that was passed on to Voldemort.
Oh, with you on the Kreacher thing. I don't know either if she was or was not part of the conversation about the Chamber, we'll never know for sure. It's rather that I simply cannot imagine that she was in the secret - unleashing a basilisk in the school where her son is...? Even if Lucius had told her, 'don't worry, darling, it'll kill mudbloods only' - hey, collateral damages can happen everywhere, all the more with a creature who can kill you by just looking in your eyes - and Narcissa is very protective of her son. I'd think Lucius would have held back at least some information from her

Old August 5th, 2007, 4:08 pm
Third Year

I agree with you, Fleur du Mal. We hear often of pureblood families having difficulty having children, despite their wish to have large families, the older families had nothing like the prolific qualities of, say, the Weasleys. They have only one child, and given Draco's age and the fact they would have been undoubtedly trying meanwhile, they are unlikely to have more. Thus, their only son, the only son they will ever have, with all of their hopes and dreams combined? I cannot believe Narcissa Malfoy would have willingly let even a chance of her baby getting hurt.

Old August 5th, 2007, 5:30 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Thus, their only son, the only son they will ever have, with all of their hopes and dreams combined? I cannot believe Narcissa Malfoy would have willingly let even a chance of her baby getting hurt.
Yep, that fits to her begging with Snape. 'My son... My only son!', and the earlier 'There is nothing I wouldn't do anymore!'