Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Narcissa Malfoy: Character Analysis

Old July 13th, 2007, 12:10 am
Auror Emeritus

Narcissa Malfoy: Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Narcissa Malfoy. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here:Narcissa Malfoy: Character Analysis

1. Is she a Death Eater?
She was at the Quidditch World Cup, but like her husband, was nowhere to be found during the post-game Muggle torture by Death Eaters.
Many apparated to Voldemort in the cemetery following his rebirth, and although Lucius was named, she was not.
She wasn't part of the group of Death Eaters who tried to obtain the prophecy in the Dept. of Mysteries.
She apparently knows of the Dark Lord's plans for her son, enough to seek out Snape.

2. Did Narcissa know of Lucius's intent to use Voldemort's diary to re-open the CoS? Was she part of the plan or did she try to stop him?

3. How does she feel now that her husband has been captured, exposed, and imprisoned as a Death Eater?

4. Why allow her son, who is not of age, to become a Death Eater? Was she proud at first? Was she fearful, once his task was set for him?

5. We know that she has contact with Bellatrix, Draco even took lessons from Bella over the summer, but what relationship, if any, does she have with Andromeda & Tonks?

6. How did Narcissa feel about Sirius Black? Did she know he wasn't a Death Eater? Did she know he was innocently sentenced to Azkaban? How did she react to his death at the hands of her sister?

7. Will 'Cissy' be punished for seeking help from Severus? Will we see her in the final book? What role will she play?

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:29 am
Master Seer

Re: Narcissa Malfoy: Character Analysis

1. Is she a Death Eater? I don't think she is. Only some 'special' people receive the branding, and at least so far, I'd say she isn't part of the inner circle (there weren't enough people in the graveyard for that circle to comprise too many members, and for belonging to them, Narcissa is FAR too passive and reluctant). Maybe she was counted by the other Death Eaters to be connected to them anyway, via Lucius. But nothing else IMO

2. Did Narcissa know of Lucius's intent to use Voldemort's diary to re-open the CoS? Was she part of the plan or did she try to stop him?
I don't believe Lucius would have told her this. The woman we see panicking for her son in HBP and DH wouldn't have dared to risk letting out a basilisk in the very school that her precious is going to at the same time.

3. How does she feel now that her husband has been captured, exposed, and imprisoned as a Death Eater? Desperate, lonely, alienated, and probably very, very angry with Voldemort for bringing her husband into this mess in the first place.

4. Why allow her son, who is not of age, to become a Death Eater? Was she proud at first? Was she fearful, once his task was set for him?
I think when your husband messes up so big time, is in jail, might be tortured or murdered once he's out - I don't think she was in any postion to say 'no'. For their all sake, she had to play along.

5. We know that she has contact with Bellatrix, Draco even took lessons from Bella over the summer, but what relationship, if any, does she have with Andromeda & Tonks? I have no idea. I merely think that their relation isn't half as full of hatred as Bella's and Andromeda's.

6. How did Narcissa feel about Sirius Black? Did she know he wasn't a Death Eater? Did she know he was innocently sentenced to Azkaban? How did she react to his death at the hands of her sister? Actually, I believe they all believed that Sirius was the true traitor before Voldemort revealed the truth. And from her perspective, that wasn't even unlogical - Sirius had 'betrayed' his lot before - by becoming a Gryffindor after centuries of Slytherin affiliation.

7. Will 'Cissy' be punished for seeking help from Severus? Will we see her in the final book? What role will she play? erm... I thought this was post-DH? Can I answer with DH spoilers?

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:18 am
Second Year

I think that even though she wasn't a Death Eater at first, she eventually did become one with her son, probably because they had no choice in the matter. They had to appease Voldemort in some way for Lucius' mistakes and this was probably what Voldemort wanted.
Another reason I think she was a Death Eater is because I don't think Voldemort would have allowed her to attend the meeting where he took Lucius' wand if she weren't a Death Eater.

I really like Narcissa's reactions to all the bad things that happened to her family throughout DH. It showed that she was a compassionate wife and mother before she was Voldemort's follower. It showed that she really put her family first and that was the most admirable thing she could do. It was no longer about who wins and who loses, but whether her son was safe. And that should come first before anything else.

Because we love our Vegemite!
We all adore our Vegemite!
It puts a rose on every cheek!
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:52 am
Master Seer

Did anyone else find it moving that she gave Draco her wand? In The Dark Lord Ascending, we see how reluctant every wizard is to part from his wand, and how Lucius almost declines, even though he is in no position to decline anything anymore.

Both grown-up Malfoys go into the final battle without their wands and give the only one available to their son so he can protect himself a bit better.

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:57 am
Second Year

I thought that Lucius didn't know thats what it was, I thought Voldemort had just told him to keep it safe until he instructed Lucius how to use it / who to give it to.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:10 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal View Post
Did anyone else find it moving that she gave Draco her wand? In The Dark Lord Ascending, we see how reluctant every wizard is to part from his wand, and how Lucius almost declines, even though he is in no position to decline anything anymore.

Both grown-up Malfoys go into the final battle without their wands and give the only one available to their son so he can protect himself a bit better.
Oh, I missed that! *runs for book*

Did anyone else think that Narcissa (in DH) had become the more dominant member of the Malfoy house? In the first six books, it seemed like Lucius was the acting head of his household, and that Narcissa was more like trophy wife. But in the opening chapter of DH, I thought there was a clear reversal. Lucius seemed very much like a broken man, and Narcissa holding things together.
Lucius Malfoy looked up. His skin appeared yellowish and waxy in the firelight, and his eyes were sunken and shadowed. When he spoke, his voice was hoarse.
'My Lord?'
'Your wand, Lucius. I require your wand.'
'I...'
Malfoy glanced sideways at his wife. She was staring straight ahead, quite as pale as he was, her long blonde hair hanging down her back, but beneath the table her slim fingers closed briefly on his wrist. At her touch, Malfoy put his hand into his robes, withdrew a wand, and passed it along to Voldemort....
And
'What say you, Draco?' asked Voldemort, and though his voice was quiet, it carried clearly though the catcalls and jeers. 'Will you babysit the cubs?'
The hilarity mounted; Draco Malfoy looked in terror at his father, who was staring down into his own lap, then caught his mother's eye. She shook her head almost imperceptibly, then resumed her own deadpan stare at the opposite wall.
I think these are both telling. Lucius seems to be pretty 'out of it' - like he's dissociating or something: when LV asks for your wand - when he asks for anything - hesitating seems like a foolish idea. Also - Draco looks to his father first when LV taunts him - he expects his father to give him cues on how to respond; so I assume that is the norm at their house; but Narcissa is the one who has to give Draco the cues.

HIPPOGRIFF, n. An animal (now extinct) which was half horse and half griffin. The griffin as itself a compound creature, half lion and half eagle. The hippogriff was actually, therefore, a one-quarter eagle, which is two dollars and fifty cents in gold. The study of zoology is full of surprises.
- Ambrose Bierce
Old July 24th, 2007, 4:19 pm
Master Seer

He would look at Lucius because this one was the real Death Eater and thus knowing how to react to the 'master'. But Lucius had lost it, and Narcissa stepped in. That's how I always imagined her, not a trophy wife, but simply happy with her lot, her family, her son, her entire life in the magnificent Malfoy Manor (geez, so happy that we got to see that house after all! ). Only when that peace is disturbed, subsequently shattered, she steps to the front.

But yes, all in all, I did notice it and thought the same, 'Go, Narcissa, go!'

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:24 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakkachuta View Post
I think that even though she wasn't a Death Eater at first, she eventually did become one with her son, probably because they had no choice in the matter. They had to appease Voldemort in some way for Lucius' mistakes and this was probably what Voldemort wanted.
Another reason I think she was a Death Eater is because I don't think Voldemort would have allowed her to attend the meeting where he took Lucius' wand if she weren't a Death Eater.

I really like Narcissa's reactions to all the bad things that happened to her family throughout DH. It showed that she was a compassionate wife and mother before she was Voldemort's follower. It showed that she really put her family first and that was the most admirable thing she could do. It was no longer about who wins and who loses, but whether her son was safe. And that should come first before anything else.
I agree!

Cissy never seemed to me to be as evil as Bella was. I always though of Cissy as being somewhere in between evil Bella and good Andromeda. She acted the way she did because that was how she was raised to be. She was weak and allowed others to make her see things like muggles and mud bloods one way. She didn't try and have an opinion for herself like Andromeda did because she was content to go with the status quo. In the end though her love for Draco made her finally stand up and do what was right versus what was easy. She could have told LV the truth that Harry was alive but it could have cost her her own child. So she protected Harry in order to save her own child and risked her own life in doing so.

"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head. "Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear related humor before you, you go for holey?"

Be kind, use the Search Engine|Search Engine Tutorial
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:49 pm
First Year

She unlike her sister, Bellatrix, Narsissa had a key characteristic that was unbecoming of a death eater. This I mean, the ability to love. In the end she cared not whether she would be killed for lying about Harry being dead. Her one and only concern was for her son, who she truely loved. This in no way redeems her for her past actions, but to say she's evil does not fit.

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:04 am
Secret Keeper

1. Is she a Death Eater?

I actually don't think so. I think she is like the Black family, not a death eater, but thinking Voldemort had the right ideas

I think she knew of his plan, but I'm not sure about trying to stop him.

3. How does she feel now that her husband has been captured, exposed, and imprisoned as a Death Eater?

She obviously feels bad, I'm pretty sure she loves him

I think she was proud at first, a little, but i think Voldie forced Draco to help. She was fearful, because of what happened with Snape and asking for help

5. We know that she has contact with Bellatrix, Draco even took lessons from Bella over the summer, but what relationship, if any, does she have with Andromeda & Tonks?

I don't think she had much of a relationship with them, probably thinks of them the same way as the rest of the family

6. How did Narcissa feel about Sirius Black? Did she know he wasn't a Death Eater? Did she know he was innocently sentenced to Azkaban? How did she react to his death at the hands of her sister?

I dont' think she really care about Sirius Black, I think she knew he wasn't a Death Eater, but she never really cared about him, or maybe even hated him, I don't think she minded his death

7. Will 'Cissy' be punished for seeking help from Severus? Will we see her in the final book? What role will she play?

I thought this was after DH discussion, but this really doesn't need to be answered

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:23 am
Curse Breaker

1. Is she a Death Eater?

Don't know. We never actually see her torture or kill anyone. She makes threats, but we never actually see her act.

Clearly her status is unusual as we have Voldemort stayign in her home. Since Dobby is gone I'm assuming that she is the one feeding and cleaning up after Voldemort. That does place her in a position of trust (to the extent that Voldemort can trust).

No clue.

Clearly she treasures her husband and her son. Her actions throughout DH are solely to preserve both Lucius and Draco as unscathed as possible.

I don't know that she had much choice. I think Draco wanted to, to show how big a man he was. His father was in jail when the task was set before him and had failed Volddemort big time. I think she was scared out of her wits when he was given his task. I think part of the reason she sent Draco to Hogwarts was to get him away from Voldemort.

She doesn't seem to have any.

I don't think she cared.

I'm not sure whether she or her family are being punished in DH or not. Voldemort could have chosen an alterate location as his new headquarters but he chose the Malfoy home. Seems kind of like he wants to rub salt in the wound.

Narcissa is the only other Mom we see in the series (Mrs. Weasley being the first). Narcissa acts throughout DH as a Mother would act - she does whatever she can to protect her child. She lies to Voldemort about Harry to save Draco.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:37 am
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

I was very surprised by her reaction when checking if Harry was dead. She lies point blank to Voldemort. It was the first and really only time we get to see where her loyalties really lie.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old July 25th, 2007, 1:15 am
Second Year

I don't think she was a death eater at all. When she went to check and see if Harry was dead, she did it in such a gentle manner. Lifting his eylids and sliding her hand beneath his shirt.
She didn't just kick him to see if he'd jump.

Also, she didn't kill Dobby when he was helping the trio escape Malfoy manner. It is telling that Bellatrix had to suggest it. If she were a death eater, loyal in any way wouldn't she have at least attempted to stop Dobby?

In the very beginning of the series, Draco mentions that he wanted to go to Durmstrang but his mother didn't want him to be so far away. But in the wizarding world, is it really that far? I think she was trying to shelter him from a school that was known for the dark arts with a death eater as a headmaster. She put him in Hogwarts, under Albus Muggle lover Dumbledore for a reason.

Old July 25th, 2007, 1:19 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupislune View Post
I was very surprised by her reaction when checking if Harry was dead. She lies point blank to Voldemort. It was the first and really only time we get to see where her loyalties really lie.
I don't think she cared about loyalties at that point, she just cared about getting her son back.

I think the question is if she would have lied if Harry told her Draco was dead? I think maybe. The Malfoys were very disenchanted by Voldy at that point.

Old July 25th, 2007, 7:27 am
First Year

I think Lucius sort of ruled the family, and Narcissa never would have fought him to stay away from the Death Eaters. I don't think she was really part of the Death Eaters, but was accepted as Lucius' wife. I do have more respect for Narcissa than I do for Lucius. She basically will do anything to keep Draco safe, and she did help to save Harry's life.

Old July 25th, 2007, 3:08 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellatrixLeNo View Post
In the very beginning of the series, Draco mentions that he wanted to go to Durmstrang but his mother didn't want him to be so far away. But in the wizarding world, is it really that far? I think she was trying to shelter him from a school that was known for the dark arts with a death eater as a headmaster. She put him in Hogwarts, under Albus Muggle lover Dumbledore for a reason.
Exactly. I often tried to make this point in the sister-thread to this one before DH. They can apparate, travel by Portkey, Floo Powder. Distances are of little importance in the magic world. And her argument 'too far away' always appeared feeble and unbelievable to me right from the start. I, too, thought that Narcissa didn't want her son to learn the Dark Arts before he wasn't old enough - they are dangerous, they can easily hurt a child playing around. I don't think she would have minded him learning the DA altogether, but only when he was of age, or so.

Old July 26th, 2007, 6:47 am
Second Year

I think Narcissa has only one side not deatheater nor the good one´s her side was her family

Old July 26th, 2007, 8:15 am
First Year

I hate to admit it, But Cissy really grew on me, I like her. she saved Harry's life by lying to Voldemort, And THAT was was really brave.

Old July 26th, 2007, 10:25 am
Sixth Year

Well in the end she was the only Malfoy to see the light, never saw that one coming.

Old July 27th, 2007, 12:12 am
Third Year

1. Is she a Death Eater?

IMO, no. Narcissa is just a follower who has access to information other followers don't because she's connected to the Death Eaters of the inner circle.

I agree with Fleur du mal. I doubt she knew.

What DH revealed was that the Malfoys actually cared...for each other...hardly for others, though. Lucius was not a tyrant we all pictured him to be, Narcissa was not a poor woman who had to do as she was told and Draco was not tortured and hated by his father. The scene in which Narcissa took Lucius' hand was very touching. Lucius meant to her as much as Draco did, IMO. They weren't evil like Bellatrix, just prejudiced.

I don't think she could do anything about Draco's decision to become a Death Eater. After everything that's happened to Lucius, I doubt she could feel even slightly proud. And she was terrified, she wouldn't have asked for Snape's help otherwise.

I don't think she kept in contact with Andromeda. I think she cared about her(she's a faimly-type, after all), but she couldn't get over the fact that Andromeda married a muggleborn.

I don't think she cared about Sirius. They were family, but I don't think they were close to each other.

"It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way."

"The greatest griefs are those we cause ourselves."
Aristotle
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies