Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Fred & George Weasley: Character Analysis

Old July 12th, 2007, 11:57 pm
Unspeakable

Fred & George Weasley: Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of the Weasley twins. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Fred & George Weasley: Character Analysis

1. How do you think Fred and George reacted to the consequences of Draco's use of their Peruvian Darkness Powder in HBP?

2. Fred and George played some rather cruel jokes earlier in the series, do you feel that they have matured since then? Do you believe they regret some of their earlier actions?

3. What do you think of the twins reaction to Percy's return in DH?

4. What do you think of the twins decision to join the Order and the fight at Hogwarts? Did they consider the consequences of their actions or were they acting rashly? Do you think George's loss of an ear made them understand the danger more than they did before?

5. How do you think George will cope with the loss of Fred? Will he continue the joke shop without his twin?

Last edited by Jessica; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:00 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:05 pm
Second Year

Re: Fred & George Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
Welcome to the post-DH discussion of the Weasley twins. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Fred & George Weasley: Character Analysis

1. How do you think Fred and George reacted to the consequences of Draco's use of their Peruvian Darkness Powder in HBP?
Probably horrified.

Quote:
2. Fred and George played some rather cruel jokes earlier in the series, do you feel that they have matured since then? Do you believe they regret some of their earlier actions?
Yes. I don't think they ever meant to be mean. I just think they took their humor to far sometimes. The older they got I think the more aware of the world around them, and peoples feeling in it.

Quote:
Some resentment, but in the end I think they where glad to get their brother back. I would be surprised however if George didn't harbor at least some "it should have been you" feeling toward Percy in the immediate years after Fred's death.

Quote:
4. What do you think of the twins decision to join the Order and the fight at Hogwarts? Did they consider the consequences of their actions or were they acting rashly? Do you think George's loss of an ear made them understand the danger more than they did before?
I think it helped them realize they where not invisable even though they where young. It probably hammered home how important they where to each other as well.

Quote:
5. How do you think George will cope with the loss of Fred? Will he continue the joke shop without his twin?

Honestly it would not have shocked me if George gave up the will to live. And that is why he is absent from the epilouge.

Fred was his other half and I don't think he will ever be the same. I think a lot of joy was lost to him forever. I think he probably sold the shop, though I can also see him maintaining it because he would want Fred's legiacy to carry on. Either way George has/had many years of healing infront of him.

()

Old July 24th, 2007, 7:45 pm
Fifth Year

1. Something along the lines of "he's a git but we can't choose who to sell to, we can't ever tell what our products would be used for". They might get a bit more responsible and not sell things that are obviously dangerous, I don't know - the danger is what makes it fun for them.

They might feel it but I don't think they'd show it, at least not to Harry. They're getting less elfisha s they grow up - they relaise the effect their pranks have on others. We saw them using their ideas for the common good in OotP - they were causing myahem for fun, but arranging it so that everyone got the beneift. They same applies to things like Shield Hats, doesn't it? They started out as a laugh, but became really useful to a wider circle of people.

I liked that scene but it was too brief - that's reality, I know, they were in the middle of a battle and didn't have time. You could see Fred being amazed that Percy had a sense of humour, and starting to think that he'd never appreciated the real Percy underneath the prig. I hope the turnaround was real and permanent - that George and Percy were able to be friends agaim afterwards. Percy was fighting side-by-side with Fred: in George's place.

They knew the danger but they chose to go that way anyway. They were following their parents, brothers, friends, teachers. What else could they choose? George's ear and Mad-Eye's death will have made them think, made them realise that it is serious and could be them next time: but they never hesitated, never thought about turning back or trying to save themselves.

5. One of the things I like about the twins (well, all the Weasleys, really) is their toughness. When George has had his ear lopped off and narrowly escaped death, he doesn't stop for a moment to pity himself or to complain, he goes straight into making silly jokes. Fred doesn't symapthise or mollycoddle: he shows his affection by the same lightheartedness and humour. They're survivors. They look forward, not back. George is going to find it incredibly tough but he'll be OK in the end. He will get through. What would Fred have wanted? He'd have wanted George, left alone, to have twice the fun and cause twice the trouble.

"Manners, Potter, or I'll have to tell you a spoiler," drawled Malfoy. "You see, I, unlike you, have no regard at all for others' feelings, which means that I, unlike you, have the power to hand out spoilers."

"Yeah," said Harry, "but you, unlike me, will be banned, so get out and leave us alone."

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:59 pm
First Year

They probably felt pretty guilty. and more careful about who they sold stuff to.

Yeah! but i don't think they ever meant to be cruel.

i think it was extremely mature and touching.

I think it was very brave of them, and i don't think they were acting rashly because they wanted in the order before they were allowed to.

I think it will be extremely hard. and he will definitly continue with the joke shop. would fred want him to quit? no waaaay. haha

Old July 25th, 2007, 1:42 am
Second Year

Absolutely horrified, I'm sure they decided to be a little more careful about who they sold things to afterwards.

I don't think that they have regreats exactly, I think they've just learned better. Every kid plays a cruel joke at one point or another and really all you can do is learn, there's no point in stewing over it, and Fred and George certainly aren't the types to stew.

Surprised, and very relieved. As much as they've made fun and played jokes, they really cared that he left. There's a difference between being annoyed by a sibling and wanting them out of your life. Fred and George certainly didn't want Percy gone for good.

No. I think they understood the danger from beginning, and they were just the types of people who accepted it and believed in what they were doing anyway. As much as they joke and laugh, I think that there is a very serious side to them, and when it comes to fighting with their family, there's no question that they'll be there. Their greatest strength is their loyalty.

He will, but I like to think that it will become more of a family business- Mrs. Weasley might take up a job there! George might become a bit quieter, but I don't think he'll change much. He's a strong character and he'll turn to his family.

Old July 25th, 2007, 1:55 am
Fifth Year

I think they were probably more upset with themselves then anyone was with them.

Yes they have matured and I think they realize they often went to far.

I liked it, they were the hardest on him through out the series so for them to forgive them shows that family above all is what matters.

I think they were not the types to sit by and watch others fight battles that they themselves were capable of fighting. Had anything happened to their loved ones while they did nothing they would never have forgiven themselves. They were true Weasley's til the end.

UGH poor George, how do you recover from losing your identical twin? Fred would hate it if George just gave up now wouldn't he? He will need time to recover and then he will pick himself up and continue building their business and it will all be done to honor Fred's legacy.

"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head. "Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear related humor before you, you go for holey?"

Be kind, use the Search Engine|Search Engine Tutorial
Old July 25th, 2007, 2:08 am
First Year

They probably felt quite guilty, and I think that made them even more determined to fight against the dark side.

Yes, absolutely, though they never wanted to hurt anyone who didn't really deserved it, (I can't say I felt any pity for Warrington in OotP when he was stuck in that toilet, I would probably have done the same thing as Fred and George did...) so I think they could forgive themselves quite easy.

It was just wonderful, I never loved them more than in that moment!

I think they really understood the danger, but like everybody else who fought for Harry they wouldn't have been able to live with themselves if people they loved died and they hadn't tried to stop it. Some things are worth dying for, and they surely realized that.

I think he'll have a very hard time, it isn't easy to cope with a loss like that... nevertheless I believe him to be a strong man who will carry on and run the shop. That shop was after all their dream and I think Fred would be rather disappointed with George if he let the dark side stop that dream.

Old July 26th, 2007, 5:23 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post

1. They flet bad I am sure, but I bet Draco had someone buy it for him.

2. Yes they have matured, what jokes are you considering cruel?

3. They were a lot more forgiving than I would have been

4. They were brave to join the Order. Do any young people really consider their actions? That is part of youth. Ear loss did make them understand, but they choose to fight anyhow

5. He will be devastated, but his family will get him through. He lost part of himself. Yes he will continue the joke shop if nothing else as a tribute to his fallen brother

PRICELESS

["I wish we could get our rings tomorrow...Unbelievable—no more going to Yankee Stadium and having to listen to '1918.'"
--Derek Lowe, Red Sox pitcher
Old July 28th, 2007, 7:19 pm
First Year

I think George will be really sad about his brother's death for a long time. He'll turn to tell Fred a joke and realize that he's alone, or he'll try to pull that "I'm not George, I'm Fred" thing before realizing that now he's the only one. It'll be hard for him to adjust, having somebody by his side literally 24/7 for his entire life, and then suddenly he's by himself. But yes, I think he will continue the joke shop, and maybe Lee will start working there as well.

Old July 28th, 2007, 7:36 pm
Second Year

Hard to say. I'd imagine they were angry, but they probably also realized that it's part of business and there's not much they could do about it.

I don't know about regret. They probably don't feel great about the fact that they were so cruel earlier on, but I doubt they really regret anything they'd done.

I always got the impression that, short of Molly, they were the most upset to see the family ripped apart. Their snide comments about him were, I think, just a mask for this. I don't know if they ever missed Percy necessarily. But I don't think they liked having the family split up.

I think the twins were much cleverer than anyone really ever gave them credit for. I was always under the impression that they were fully conscious of the consequences of their actions/jokes. They knew what they were doing.

He'll continue to run the joke shop on his own.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 1:49 pm
Second Year

Quite angry with a mixture of sadness.

I do think they have matured, they've had to grow up quite a bit since joining Dumbledores army and helping with The Order, but this doesn't stop them having a few laughs now and then, but they just think more.

Stunned nonetheless, but appeared quite irritated on the outside. Inside they'd both have probably felt a sense of deep deep relief that the family is being brought back together again, but they won't actually say it.

I'd say they definitely knew what they were up against, once Voldermort returned, they knew this would never be easy for Harry, and no matter how much he refused their help to go solo, the twins were both determined to show Harry that they're prepared for anything at all that faces them. I think George losing an ear was a streak of shock but they quickly regained their strength knowing worse would come. They wanna show they can be serious when they want to be.

I always thought that the biggest fear of both twins would be losing eachother. Sadly, this fear quickly came true, and I don't think he'll ever be 100% the same person he was when Fred was around.Losing Fred was like losing half of himself and he will be the most affected out of all the Weasleys.
I heard somewhere that Ron went on to be the new partner with George in Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, and that George named his first son Fred.

A journey never to forget

"You said to us once before," said Hermione quietly, "that there was time to turn back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"
"We're with you whatever happpens," said Ron.

Proud Ravenclaw

"I was here...
I did, I've done, everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be"
Old August 3rd, 2007, 2:27 am
First Year

Just want to say I'm an identical twin, too...my sister and I played many jokes on teachers, especially when we were in school. We still often find we're about to say the same thing, or are thinking of the same thing, and we are 56 yrs. old. Yeah, George will be sad for a realllly long time, I'd say. I cried myself. I can hardly imagine how it'd be. Okay, end of rant. DH is still a fantastic book.

Old August 21st, 2007, 10:24 pm
Animaga terpsichore

~ Surprised and angry.
~ I believe they have matured ever since the first book. Especially after the 5th, they knew Voldemort was back and matured greatly.

~ Surprised beyond belief.

~ I believe they knew what they were doing. But after George lost an ear, they knew that the Order wasent playing games and they matured even more then before.

~ Yes it will be hard to look at the joke shop with out thinking of Fred but I think George will go on and keep the joke shop running.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old August 22nd, 2007, 1:08 am
Third Year

I belived they felt very ashamed of themselves.

I don't think they ment it to be cruel, it was just over the top at times. I belived they matured alot. They still make jokes and stuff still but when they realised what is happening they knew it wasn't the time for jokes and pranks.

They probaly were shocked but after they reliased that he was really sorry, they were o good terms.

I always knew that they will like to join the Order. They always want to be part of the action. BThey were acting rashly in my opinion but I could be wrong.I think when George lost his ear,it eally gave them a wake-up call of how dangoures it is going to be.

I think George will never be the same again. He lost his brother, his best friend. But he has his family and friends beside him. We do knwo before Ron became an Auror that Ron helped with the joke shop. His other best pal Lee Jordon probaly hepled him too.

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 1:20 am
Second Year

hmmm not to say they approved but I think Fred and George Weasley have the confidence and prescence of mind to accept that the DEs would have found a way through them and that if events had been different more casualties may have occured. Who's to say what might have happened without it? I think they would have held their hands up as a mistake for selling it to Draco but... got over it.

Yes of course they have! everyone matures and grows up. I doubt they regret a lot, the don't seem the type to dwell on regrets. I'm sure they'd be the first to hold their hands up and admit some of what they did was wrong but who doesn't make mistakes?

Wonderful! I know they give Ron and Percy a hard time but I can see that they are the most forgiving of all the Weasley children. Perhaps because they require forgiveness a lot from their pranks that they can extend it to other people. Fred and George seem like they would be the "live and let live" type.

They are fighting for everything their parents, friends, relatives, authority figures believe in. I don't think any of them entered into this rashly, they all knew what it was like before Voldemort fell and lmew that the previous Order had incurred a lot of deaths and casualties. Of course losing George's ear probably brought it all home to them that this was really it, it was really time to fight now. But I love that even in dark times they still understand the importance of humour and keeping your own sense of self.

I think he will be devastated, a loss I can't even begin to imagine. I'm sure it will be difficult for George to move past that but I imagine keeping the joke shop open would help, as a sort of a tribute to who Fred was and how important humour was in his life.

interesting to see that my response to the first question was preeeetty different from everyone else...

There is no greater pain than to remember, in our present grief, past happiness.

Last edited by no_seatbelt; August 22nd, 2007 at 1:28 am. Reason: EDIT: interesting to see that my response to the first question was preeeetty different from everyone else...
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:44 am
Mrs Grawp

First of all, I think that we see a great maturing in the twins between HBP and DH

In HBP we see them mostly focussed on business and moneymaking, selling their goods to the ministry and eventually to Draco. Besides the brilliant U-No-Poo we don't see them involved in active Voldemort resistence or as members of the Order.

But in DH we see how both of them have clearly taken part in the fight. Not only volunteering as the seven Potters, but also post Ministry fall to activelly participate in resistance through Potterwatch and finally joining the battle in Hogwarts.

Also their approach (Fred in this case) on security has changed: U-No-Poo was a reckless thing, something that directly could have send them on the Black List, but in Potterwatch Fred himself advises everybody to stay safe (to his own astounishment actually)

They show to be brave and somehow reckless but on the same time to know when to stop and not commit random acts of crazyness.

Their sense of humour with the ear episode reflects perfectly their personalities. To convert something that would have deeply depressed and scared others into something laughable.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:42 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

They would have been disgusted, but they would also have said that it's business and they couldn't have prevented it. Besides I think that the Peruvian Powder didn't make that much difference in the end. If the Death Eaters had been attacked by Ron and the others it might have gone very wrong.

They did mature, they have showed their seriousness and maturity when they did the Potterwatch. They might have had some regrets, but I doubt they regretted making such a mess of Hogwarts during Umbridge's reign. I doubt that they regretted teasing Percy, he deserved being made fun of during that time.

It showed how much they cared about the whole family, it was understandable if they kept holding a grudge, but they thought what was best for the family and so accepted him back.

It was only logical that they would join the Order, they might have been a bit careless at times but there weren't stupid. They knew the dangers, but also knew they could be of real value to the Order. The loss of George's ear made them realize that they could get seriously hurt, but I do think they knew that already. However they always kept a laughing and joking front, they continued to do that. I think it might be their way of dealing with anxiety and fear.

George obviously will never get over it, he misses a part of himself. But it will get better as long as he has the ability to remember his brother.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old August 31st, 2007, 3:09 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
I think they made sure they didn't sell it to potential Death Eaters and Slytherins and stuff like that.
Quote:
i'm sure they never meant any harm, things just got out of hand. I think they did mature a bit, they just don't show it as much. I think they may regret some of their earlier actions, like the more dangerous pranks.
Quote:
They never really hated Percy, they hated what he did. They loved him because he was their brother. I liked how they joked around and sort of dissmissed it after insulting him a bit.
Quote:
I think they considered their consequences, but they decided they should go. I think they did understand the dangers from the start, they just dismissed them.
Quote:
I think he will. It's in his nature, to dismiss rules and dangers and consequences. And he would think that Fred would've wanted him to go on.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old August 31st, 2007, 7:21 pm
First Year

I know I will be hated for this, but at first I did not like the Weasley twins. During the first three books especially, I tended to find them mean, annoying, and very smug. I didn't like the way they treated Percy especially. But as the series went on they really grew on me, until by the end of the 5th book I was completely in love with them, and absolutely devastated by Fred's death. I almost wished they had both died, because a world with only one Weasley twin does not seem right

That said, Fred and George's place in the series is clear to me now, they weren't just arrogant trouble-makers, they were there to always support their loved ones with their humour. Because they could turn anything into a joke, and were very willing to laugh at themselves (like when they grew the beards in GoF - I still can't believe the film ruined that moment - ) they sometimes didn't consider their joking about others to be a big deal, which really it wasn't.

To analyze them a bit deeper, I think Fred and George, for all their confidence, might have felt a bit insecure about their place in the family, just likes the other Weasley kids. They were, after all, the middle children. They never managed to succeed academically like Bill, Charlie, and Percy, as their mother often reminded them. I think part of the reason they often made fun of Percy may have been jealousy (although Percy probably was trying to get that reaction from them a lot of the time.)

At the beginning of PS, we see them making fun of Ron, calling him 'Ickle Ronikins', but maybe this was their own insecurities showing up - their mother doted on Ron because he was younger and maybe they secretly wanted that.

As for their humor, well, I think they really just like laughing and making people happy. Perhaps this grew as a manner of making people take notice of them in their large family. If they weren't the babies and not the impressive students, they could still get everybodys attention. They were at times a bit reckless, especially when they were younger (like the Unbreakable Vow incident) but overall, they were generous loving brothers who knew when to be serious and when cheering up was better.

One more thing - did anybody ever notice any striking differences between Fred and George. To me they always seemed pretty similar, but Rowling appartently thinks George was more outgoing. Anyone get a sense of this?

This is a legitimate charity, and everything goes to help the poor children of Haiti who have been ignored by the rest of the world. If you can afford to own a computer, you can afford to help these children. Most of these kids will never have lives as good as you, but you can at least help to make sure they don't die needlessly, that they receive education and that one day THEIR children can have lives as good as yours.

One person CAN make a difference!
Old August 31st, 2007, 7:34 pm
First Year

Quote:
One more thing - did anybody ever notice any striking differences between Fred and George. To me they always seemed pretty similar, but Rowling appartently thinks George was more outgoing. Anyone get a sense of this?
She said that Fred was the more outgoing one and that he was a bit crueler than George, and that George was the more vulnerable one. The difference is very slight though. I noticed that Fred spoke more, and in GOF he was the one who was for blackmailing Bagman and so on. George seemed a bit calmer.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies