Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Rubeus Hagrid: Character Analysis

Old February 9th, 2010, 11:53 am
Second Year

Re: Rubeus Hagrid: Character Analysis

Am I the only one who noticed that Hagrid's role in the later books (particularly HBP and DH) was very minor, especially when you consider that he was a borderline central character in the first two books?

I kind of believe there was a reason for this.

I would argue that Hagrid was the first parental figure Harry had, particularly in the first book. When you consider the amount of time they spent together and Hagrid's role in educating Harry about the magical world (in effect, all Harry knew before coming to Hogwarts was from Hagrid), this isn't hard to believe. As someone else said, he also sort of served a "den mother" role to the entire trio in the first three books in particular while they were at school.
However, I reckon that after Sirius came on the scene, he began to take over Hagrid's role as Harry's primary father figure. When you consider that Harry and Dumbledore were beginning to grow closer at this time (and, whatever the nature of their relationship, you can't convince me that Dumbledore did not feel a certain degree of paternal care towards Harry), Hagrid kind of became less of a parent/protector and more of a friend. I still wish he had had more of a role in DH though.

"We Slytherins are brave, but not stupid." - Phineas Nigellus Black.

"Dreams like this must die." - RIP Andy Wood.
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2010, 3:11 pm
Fifth Year

I think he also had to take a backseat because, in stories like these, the hero is often stripped of any and all parental figures so as to allow them to complete their quest alone. And JKR couldn't kill all of them off, so Hagrid had to become more of a friend than another parental figure.

JKR said it, I believe it, that settles it.

Ravenclaw here but Gryffindor on Pottermore | Add me, I'm LightStar74.
Old February 9th, 2010, 4:55 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdi86 View Post
I think he also had to take a backseat because, in stories like these, the hero is often stripped of any and all parental figures so as to allow them to complete their quest alone. And JKR couldn't kill all of them off, so Hagrid had to become more of a friend than another parental figure.
I would also hazard a guess at a more practical reason for the reduction of Hagrid's role; yes, he's lovable, and a great character at the beginning of the series, but I would say that the sort of humor and comfort he provides -in essence, his whole contribution to the story- are geared more at younger children, and would have seemed out of place in the maturity of the later books. Also, when the Trio were trying to solve the more local and limited problems at the beginning of the series, it was more plausible for Hagrid to know something about it, and then to let it slip. However, I can't see this role fitting well in the later books; "What is a Horcrux, Harry? Well, I know I shouldn't tell yeh this, but a a Horcrux is an object in which a Dark wizard has concealed part of their soul- shouldn't 'a told yeh that!" By this time, Harry was dealing the the Darkest and most obscure types of magic; things that Hagrid, expelled in his third year, would never have known a thing about. As Harry begins dealing with things like this, it works well for the much wiser and more restrained Dumbledore to take on the role of explanation and exposition which Hagrid previously filled. Not to say that I don't like Hagrid, I do, but I don't think he would or could have carried over smoothly into the later books, and JK's decision to take him out was a good one. I'd say that, from OoTP onward, if she had tried to keep Hagrid in the same role he filled in the early books, he would have become a liability really fast. But there's the mark of a good author; she knows when to sacrifice beloved characters for the sake of her story.

I cordially dislike Severus Snape.
Old February 24th, 2010, 2:26 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by criostoir View Post
I was sure [Hagrid was going to die] for two reasons. First, in the hero cycle, every protector of the hero is stripped away before their final conflict. Harry's parents were killed, his godfather was killed, his mentor was killed, and I was sure that Hagrid, the one who brought him to the Dursley's and to Hogwarts, would be killed as well.
The hero cycle is why I was convinced Dumbledore would die before it happened. But because Harry had started moving away from Hagrid before DH, I was never convinced Hagrid would die too (though I was pretty scared that he had in the 7 Potters and the Battle of Hogwarts).

When Harry put his professional aspirations (becoming an Auror) ahead of personal friendship and did not take Hagrid's NEWT class, that's probably when Hagrid got his reprieve. Harry was now making choices that would impact his life as an adult. Hagrid no longer filled the same role - which, I agree with others, was really more the role of a friend than a protector, in spite of the role he had played in retrieving Harry.

Oh, and for the record: I, too, adore Hagrid and would have liked to have seen more of him in later books. But then, maybe he would not have survived if we had.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old February 25th, 2010, 8:45 pm
Sixth Year

I must say, except the house-elves, there are few characters I disliked as much as I disliked Hagrid. I can find many litterary models for him, but still, I consider him absolutely annoying.

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:11 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessCharmMaster View Post
I must say, except the house-elves, there are few characters I disliked as much as I disliked Hagrid. I can find many litterary models for him, but still, I consider him absolutely annoying.
So do I. I have a tendency to just glaze over his words.

Old February 26th, 2010, 1:35 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Oh, and for the record: I, too, adore Hagrid and would have liked to have seen more of him in later books. But then, maybe he would not have survived if we had.
I see what you mean - from books 4-6, the main character death is someone who gained more prominence in that book. Although, I think JKR stated she had long intended for Hagrid to be the one who brought Harry's "body" back to Hogwarts - to bring full circle Hagrid bringing Harry to the Dursleys and reintroducing him to the magical world.

I thought I'd import this from another thread as it's pretty relevant here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101 View Post
Also Hagrid does like James and as Hagrid's judgments are usually spot on, (he insists that Snape is entirely trustworthy) I don't see what the problem is. Hagrid may be naive, but his judgment is sharp enough.
I think that's pretty true - unless clouded by alcohol, Hagrid's judgement is pretty good. Even if he tends to see things in black and white, no shades of grey, really. He was correct about Lockhart- he was one of the first to say he disbelieved Lockhart. He dislikes Lucius Malfoy- whom we later learn is a Death Eater. He trusted Snape until the end of HBP.

Similarly, he gives Harry and Ron much-needed advice in PoA, when he says he had expected them to value their friend more than brooms and rats.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old April 8th, 2010, 7:03 am
Seventh Year

1. Keeper of Keys & Grounds at Hogwarts and Care of Magical Creatures Professor. What made Dumbledore convince Dippet to keep Hagrid on & train him as a replacement for groundskeeper? What other qualifications, besides size/obsession with monster animals, qualifies him to teach? <snip>
Why does Dumbledore trust Hagrid, even after all the slip-ups Hagrid's made? Is Hagrid's fierce loyalty to Dumbledore part of the reason? Would you trust Hagrid with the same very important tasks that Dumbledore did? Why or why not?

I'll just condense that to two basic questions:

A. Why was Hagrid allowed to stay on as gamekeeper?

It is an interesting question. Hagrid had just been expelled for essentially manslaughter. Why would he be allowed to stay at the school? I think Riddle says (not the most trustworthy source I know) that Dumbledore persuaded Dippet to allow him to stay on as gamekeeper.

Perhaps, because he was a minor, Hagrid could not be sent to Azkaban. The Wizarding World does not appear to have juvenile detention facilities, so maybe apprenticeship is used as a rehabilitation for kids. I think that's what used to happen to street urchins and trouble-makers in Victorian times if they were lucky.

B. Why does Dumbledore trust him so much?

Well, I think Dumbledore knew Hagrid was innocent thanks to both Legilimency and intuition. Dumbledore is very good at seeing people for what they are. I think that's why Dumbledore trusts Hagrid as a friend.

But why does Dumbledore trust him with responsibilities? Well, Hagrid isn't wholly unreliable. He did succeed in collecting Harry both times in PS/SS, he did "make" the Third Task in GoF, and he and Madam Maxime almost succeeded with the giants. So he is dependable.

I think the only thing Hagrid really lacks is judgment. His work as a teacher certainly shows this. He certainly knows a great deal about animals, as much as anyone who was qualified. He was also very enthusiastic. The only problem was that he thought it would be a good idea to start off with things like hippogriffs.

2. In regards to Hagrid's sheer physical presence/description, JK has said: "In shape he's modelled on the Welsh chapter of Hells Angels who'd swoop down on the town and hog the bar, huge mountains of leather and hair" AND "For Harry, Ron and Hermione, he's benign, but he's supposed to be quite intimidating towards the people who don't maybe appreciate his particular taste in creatures." Hagrid really seems to not know his own strength, and we've seen him sad, hurt, happy, angry, and in a terrible temper. How has Hagrid's character evolved, and what displays of his loyalty and his temper, stick in your mind the most?

Of all the characters, I think Hagrid is probably the least inhibited when it comes to expressing emotions. I think that might be due to his giant blood, and lack of a normal upbringing.

The most telling display of his temper and loyalty I think is when he picks up (IIRC) Karkaroff for spitting on Dumbledore's shoes in GoF.

3. Having been expelled from Hogwarts because of Tom Riddle, Hagrid's never been too great at magic, though he occassionally surprises himself and others. How does Hagrid feel about Tom Riddle? How does he feel about the present day, Voldemort? <snip>

I'm not sure how much Hagrid was told about the whole Tom Riddle/Voldemort connection, and the true reason he was expelled. We never see him remark on it as far as I remember.

Obviously Hagrid hates Voldemort as much as the next person.

4. Hagrid's parents are both dead, and now he's just got his half-brother Grawp. How did being abandoned by his mother & the loss of his father, affect him? <snip>

It is hard to say. I think the early loss of his family is what makes him bond so well with Harry.

5. Hagrid and his monster obsession, when & why did it start? Will it ever end? How many scrapes has Dumbledore gotten Hagrid out of, in regards to his liking of 'interestin' creatures'? JK has said that for Hagrid and his fascination, it's all about overcoming things that can kill him---which is a central theme in the books, overcoming.

I think on a subconscious level the animals remind him of himself. Like Hagrid, they look dangerous and frightening, but (in Hagrid's mind) are really nice once you get to know them.

I also think Hagrid is less frightened of larger creatures due to his size, strength and the resilience to injuries that giant blood gives him. It might be hard for him to relate to the fears of the more fragile humans.

6. Hagrid & Madame Maxime? Will they get together in book 7?
When asked this question: Does Hagrid get a wife?
JK responded: Does Hagrid get a wife? You think anyone would want to live with a man who breeds Blast-Ended Skrewts?

I don't think it will happen. Madam Maxime has a school to run and Hagrid has both a farm and a forest of creatures to look after, not to mention classes to teach. I think they're too busy to marry and have children.

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington
Old April 27th, 2010, 1:34 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I've always wondered this: JKR spells out Hagrid's words phonetically, since he has an accent of some kind. The Brits here can probably help best with this, but exactly what sort of accent does he appear to have?

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old April 27th, 2010, 1:39 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
I've always wondered this: JKR spells out Hagrid's words phonetically, since he has an accent of some kind. The Brits here can probably help best with this, but exactly what sort of accent does he appear to have?
He has a West Country accent according to various quotes from Jo.

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington
Old April 27th, 2010, 1:43 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Oooh, great. Thanks.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old March 30th, 2011, 7:08 am
Second Year

Man, looking back to the first book, I realize how much HRH seemed to take advantage of Hagrid. Sure they were his friends, but come on! They totally used him to get secret information. I guess they do this to a number of characters...

Old July 31st, 2011, 10:58 am
First Year

I noticed in the Second book (COS) when Harry was taken to DD's office because of the attacks on Justin and Nick, Hagrid burst in and went into a rant *races to find book*

Quote:
"- it can't've bin him, I'll swear it in front o' the Ministry o' Magic if I have to -" "Hagrid, I -" "- yeh've got the wrong boy, sir, I know Harry never =' "Hagrid!" said Dumbledore loudly. "I do not think that Harry attacked those people." "Oh," said Hagrid, the rooster falling limply at his side. "Right. I'll wait outside then, Headmaster." And he stomped out looking embarrassed.
I just realised why Hagrid was so angry/worried about Harry being 'accused' by DD. He was falsely accused at school so would have hated Harry to be too.

Harry arrived early in the Room of Requirement for the last DA meeting before the holidays and was very glad he had, because when the torches burst into flame he saw that Dobby had taken it upon himself to decorate the place for Christmas. He could tell the elf had done it, because nobody else would have strung a hundred golden baubles from the ceiling, each showing a picture of Harry's face and bearing the legend:
'HAVE A VERY HARRY CHRISTMAS!

Harry Christmas Everybody!
Find me on Pottermore - Nettlestorm14
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:06 am
First Year

I'm so happy Hagrid didn't die in the DH! I would have been so sad. I think he was kept alive and not killed by the spiders because he has always been there for Harry, and he forever will be.
He carries Harry too which is a big thing. There's not a lot of people big enough to carry Harry.
Either way, love the character

Old August 7th, 2011, 8:05 pm
I want to believe

What other qualifications, besides size/obsession with monster animals, qualifies him to teach?
Upon re-reading PoA, I might have to amend my previous opinion on this question. I find that Hagrid appeared to be a decent teacher during his first lesson. I think he was qualified to teach because he knew the subject well and was able to relay the relevant information about the subject. He made sure to tell the students what the creatures were, how to approach them, and what not to do in order to stay safe. Also, he went for a practical approach. I'm a big proponent of the "learning by doing" approach, as long as enough background is provided first. And I think the lesson would have gone very well had Draco heeded Hagrid's instructions. After this first lesson though, Hagrid's teaching ability suffers, I think, due to what happened with Buckbeak. After that first lesson, he really doesn't teach them anything for the rest of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccioDobby View Post
I just realised why Hagrid was so angry/worried about Harry being 'accused' by DD. He was falsely accused at school so would have hated Harry to be too.
Good catch. I finished re-reading CoS not too long ago as well, and figured that Hagrid was merely standing up for Harry, who he'd grown very attached to. But I suspect you're right in saying that this particular matter was something Hagrid wanted to make sure Harry was not accused of, because it was a very painful memory for Hagrid.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old April 3rd, 2013, 8:12 pm
Snidget of Champions

I wonder: how do you think Hagrid's character was changed by being accused of and expelled for, ultimately, murder at the age of 13? In reflecting on his situation, Hagrid was expelled from Hogwarts for unleashing the monster that killed a fellow student. We see that he has to deal with his inability to perform proper magic throughout his life, but what about the psychological effects of such an accusation? Do you think he was ever tried as responsible for Myrtle's death? Or, knowing his own innocence, do you think he could have convinced himself that he was, somehow, responsible?

In thinking about the psychological effects of such a cursorily covered subject, I sympathize with Hagrid even more and admire his character even more. Despite what I see as a fairly traumatizing experience, he seems to have come out as a very kind, nurturing (albeit sometimes careless) man.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 22nd, 2013, 2:23 pm
Banned

Originally posted in the Draco Malfoy thred.

Quote:
=Daggerstone;6073614]“And what are Slytherin and Hufflepuff?”
“School houses. There’s four. Everyone says Hufflepuff are a lot o’ duffers, but —”
“I bet I’m in Hufflepuff,” said Harry gloomily.
“Better Hufflepuff than Slytherin,” said Hagrid darkly. “There’s not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn’t in Slytherin. You-Know-Who was one.”
(PS, Ch 5 "Diagon Alley")

So my bad - Hagrid actually made a judgement on half the Hogwarts population based on their house alone.
He did, how?

Quote:
He does? And he never said a word to Dumbledore/Order/the Ministry about it?
He didn't? You know this how?

Quote:
So we can prove Dolohov, Karkaroff, Rowle and Crouch Jr were Slytherins without bending canon like a pretzel?

Because canon in the form of the words Rowling wrote as Hagrid's dialogue says so.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 7:49 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

In PS/SS when he tells Harry, "there's not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin", Hagrid isn't actually telling the truth as he knows it at the time. He actually believes Sirius betrayed the Potters and knows Sirius was in Gryffindor. So, I'm not sure Hagrids comment can be taken as a complete truth.Although, I think probably a large proportion of followers were likely from Slytherin House, I don't think that all were, as we know of one Gryffindor. Also, I don't think Hagrid was privy to knowing all of Voldemort's followers. For example we don't know what house Barty Crouch Jnr was in when he was a student at Hogwarts.

Old June 22nd, 2013, 8:39 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
In PS/SS when he tells Harry, "there's not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin", Hagrid isn't actually telling the truth as he knows it at the time. He actually believes Sirius betrayed the Potters and knows Sirius was in Gryffindor. So, I'm not sure Hagrids comment can be taken as a complete truth.Although, I think probably a large proportion of followers were likely from Slytherin House, I don't think that all were, as we know of one Gryffindor. Also, I don't think Hagrid was privy to knowing all of Voldemort's followers. For example we don't know what house Barty Crouch Jnr was in when he was a student at Hogwarts.
Another problem with Hagrid's statement is that he does not give it a time limit. Instead, he makes it sound as if he is referring to witches and wizards throughout the history of Wizarding Britain.

Pottermore information, however, indicates that historically there is a roughly even distribution of Dark witches and wizards from Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Hufflepuff historically has the fewest Dark witches and wizards, but it does not have zero.

In other words, a majority of Dark witches and wizards are historically from Houses other than Slytherin. Slytherin does seem to be over-represented among the Death Eaters, but it is not over-represented historically.

So the question is: where did Hagrid get this idea? Is he taking his personal issues into this discussion and blaming the entire House for what Riddle did to him? Or is this perhaps a typical Gryffindor prejudice against Slytherin?

Whatever its origins, Harid's statement - whether he is fully conscious of it or not - is false.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; June 22nd, 2013 at 8:47 pm.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 9:14 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Another problem with Hagrid's statement is that he does not give it a time limit. Instead, he makes it sound as if he is referring to witches and wizards throughout the history of Wizarding Britain.

Pottermore information, however, indicates that historically there is a roughly even distribution of Dark witches and wizards from Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Hufflepuff historically has the fewest Dark witches and wizards, but it does not have zero.

In other words, a majority of Dark witches and wizards are historically from Houses other than Slytherin. Slytherin does seem to be over-represented among the Death Eaters, but it is not over-represented historically.

So the question is: where did Hagrid get this idea? Is he taking his personal issues into this discussion and blaming the entire House for what Riddle did to him? Or is this perhaps a typical Gryffindor prejudice against Slytherin?

Whatever its origins, Harid's statement - whether he is fully conscious of it or not - is false.
That may be your opinion, but it's not mine. And actually he is right, Sirius was never a DeathEater, and Peter is dead as far as Hagrid knows.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies