Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Rubeus Hagrid: Character Analysis

Old March 25th, 2008, 10:14 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Re: Rubeus Hagrid: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewbacca View Post
Eh, Hagrid was raising werewolves when he was a kid, and he was wrestling with trolls most nights. (both of which Dairy Riddle tells us, they don't seem particularly insulting, so I'll take them as facts). He already had a knack for defending himself, and his behaviour with Aragog showed he was extremely good at caring for things. Its likely that most of his Care Of Magical Creatures stuff was instinct, due to him being (a) able to understand and even identify with most magical animals, and (b) exceedingly gentle. the other 10% he just picked up as he went along.
I'm not sure that's entirely practical. You would need at least some magical training to deal with dangerous creatures, even if you do have a gift for it. People don't become lion tamers unless they've had proper training, no matter how many lions they've wrestled as kids. If Hagrid's gone touch-and-go, he's extremely lucky.
There's also the fact that went to the library for learning how to properly care for his dragon egg in PS/SS. (Which, of course, makes the subject of Hagrid's education even more ambiguous...He certainly knows where to find information... )

That's a good point about Voldemort's name, though. I hadn't considered that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewbacca View Post
Who's Ogg?
The gamekeeper before Hagrid. Molly mentions him in GoF when she visits Harry before the third task.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:39 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
I don't think it's wrong that he was portrait in this way. Not wrong that I think that he deserved to be like that, but that it fits canon.
Hagrid left school earlier than other people did and then was prohibited to use magic for almost all his life. He doesn't have the education in magic other people have. He can learn more things later, but I still don't think he was on the same level than others.
I'm not saying that it was wrong that he was portrayed in this way, just that maybe he was smarter than he actually came across in the books. It may have been possible that he acted less powerful than he was for various reasons. I don't know, it's just a thought that I've had from re-reading PS/SS and I thought I'd put it out there

Because of Edward Cullen...I'm staying single until I find a vampire
Old June 10th, 2008, 4:45 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

I think Hagrid had great "street smarts" (for lack of a better term), and he had progressed beyond his mid-third year education (see: aquamenti, a sixth year spell when Harry was there). He was quite gifted with the animals, too - that's a form of smarts in and of itself. He'd never sound smart - the accent and his inability to hide his emotions or keep a secret didn't help here - but he was better than many in the wizarding world (with the notable exception of Dumbledore and Harry's crew) gave him credit for.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old June 10th, 2008, 7:34 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I would agree that Hagrid has street smarts, except for one little thing that keeps bugging me: In PS/SS, Quirrell was able to very easily fool Hagrid in the Hog's Head by getting him drunk. You'd think that someone with street smarts would be on their guard in such a dingy and dubious place. What do you think?

(Keep in mind that I myself have zero street smarts, so I may be woefully ignorant on the subject. )

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old June 10th, 2008, 3:21 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
I would agree that Hagrid has street smarts, except for one little thing that keeps bugging me: In PS/SS, Quirrell was able to very easily fool Hagrid in the Hog's Head by getting him drunk. You'd think that someone with street smarts would be on their guard in such a dingy and dubious place. What do you think?

(Keep in mind that I myself have zero street smarts, so I may be woefully ignorant on the subject. )
*Amends to has street smarts except when at the Hog's Head or partaking in activities that one would do at the Hog's Head.

Harry himself "took advantage" of Hagrid in this manner (sort of - he was really taking advantage of Slughorn but without Hagrid it wouldn't have worked). Hagrid certainly had a problem with the adult beverages . Another weakness in his character, but he showed a lot of strengths, too.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:51 pm
MODLY CREW

Hagrid is just too good-hearted and he trusts people easily. He was even willing and eager to talk to Rita Skeeter. I wouldn't even say that he's got street smarts. He's not stupid but, as I see it, he owes his survival to his height and strength more than his brains.

Old June 10th, 2008, 10:54 pm
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Hagrid is just too good-hearted and he trusts people easily. He was even willing and eager to talk to Rita Skeeter. I wouldn't even say that he's got street smarts. He's not stupid but, as I see it, he owes his survival to his height and strength more than his brains.
Well, he is half-giant. We really don't see much of Maxime but she seems to be a bit more intelligent and knowing than Hagrid. We do see, though, that giants aren't the smartest folks around. Maybe his mother is part of the reason that he has little common sense.

Old June 10th, 2008, 10:58 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath
Hagrid is just too good-hearted and he trusts people easily. He was even willing and eager to talk to Rita Skeeter.
I agree. It is surprising, in a sense, that Hagrid is so trusting, considering his giantess mother's abandonment and his conviction at the hands of Tom Riddle. However, his father and Dumbledore seem to have taught him how to be who he is (which is one reason why he is so protective of Dumbledore). I also think Hagrid learned to trust people largely because of his experience with magical creatures. Their unwavering love for him has taught Hagrid to trust them and fellow people. This is one of the chief reasons, I believe, why Hagrid does not see any harm in "vicious monsters."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath
I wouldn't even say that he's got street smarts. He's not stupid but, as I see it, he owes his survival to his height and strength more than his brains.
Again, I agree. Hagrid is definitely not one of the smartest characters, and he often allows his anger to get the better of him, which is when he becomes dependent on his giant blood. He said that he would have ripped Sirius limb from limb (without magic) and he punched and threw Umbridge's attack squad. Without his tough skin, Hagrid would not have survived for long. However, his reliance on "Muggle fighting" is largely because he was forced to go so long without using magic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH
We really don't see much of Maxime but she seems to be a bit more intelligent and knowing than Hagrid. We do see, though, that giants aren't the smartest folks around. Maybe his mother is part of the reason that he has little common sense.
We do see Madame Maxime lose her sense when Hagrid says she was itching to attack the two Death Eaters they saw around the giants. From the two half-giants (and all the full giants) we see, Hagrid is not unique in his fiery temper.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138

Last edited by MrSleepyHead; June 10th, 2008 at 11:00 pm.
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:28 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
I'd have to agree with that. I think it's just in his nature to be trusting to the point where it is detrimental to himself and others. It may be a weakness, but it's just who he is. As for his size, I think this is also a part of him that is only natural for him to make use of. Being a half-giant, he gains the traits of superior physical strength and a certain resistance to magic. So it's only natural that he would employ these strengths in a conflict, coupled with the fact that he his wand was snapped.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old May 15th, 2009, 2:35 am
Seventh Year

1. Keeper of Keys & Grounds at Hogwarts and Care of Magical Creatures Professor. What made Dumbledore convince Dippet to keep Hagrid on & train him as a replacement for groundskeeper? What other qualifications, besides size/obsession with monster animals, qualifies him to teach? Will he be allowed to continue as a teacher, now that Dumbledore is dead?
Why does Dumbledore trust Hagrid, even after all the slip-ups Hagrid's made? Is Hagrid's fierce loyalty to Dumbledore part of the reason? Would you trust Hagrid with the same very important tasks that Dumbledore did? Why or why not?

I think Dumbledore convinced Dippet because Dumbledore knew Hagrid was innocent, and he thought it was very unfair for someone to be expelled for something they did not do. Hagrid is very knowledgable when it comes to animals because he looks after all the animals in the forest, so it seemed only right to appoint Hagrid as a teacher. And I do think he will continue to teach, I can't see McGonagall getting rid of him. Hagrid is so loyal to Dumbledore, because Dumbledore trusts people where others can't. Like Dumbledore said, he would trust Hagrid with his life. I would trust Hagrid with anything. If Dumbledore trusts someone, then so do I!

2. In regards to Hagrid's sheer physical presence/description, JK has said: "In shape he's modelled on the Welsh chapter of Hells Angels who'd swoop down on the town and hog the bar, huge mountains of leather and hair" AND "For Harry, Ron and Hermione, he's benign, but he's supposed to be quite intimidating towards the people who don't maybe appreciate his particular taste in creatures." Hagrid really seems to not know his own strength, and we've seen him sad, hurt, happy, angry, and in a terrible temper. How has Hagrid's character evolved, and what displays of his loyalty and his temper, stick in your mind the most?

Hagrid learns from his mistakes. Sure, he let things slip sometimes, when he wasn't himself, but that doesn't make him a bad person. He is extremely loyal to Dumbledore, and he is always there for Harry. He see's himself in Harry sometimes, having had a similar upbringing, so I think that those similarities settled him down a bit, and brought him down to earth. The tasks he has had, like rescueing Harry, getting the PS for Dumbledore, and keeping all the animals under control in the forest, is a big responsibility, and I think that brings out the best in Hagrid.

3. Having been expelled from Hogwarts because of Tom Riddle, Hagrid's never been too great at magic, though he occassionally surprises himself and others. How does Hagrid feel about Tom Riddle? How does he feel about the present day Voldemort? How will he aid the Trio in book 7? Will Hagrid be a source of info to Harry, in regards to the young Tom Riddle?

I think Hagrid resents Voldemort just as much as anyone else, especially considering Voldemort framed him and caused him to be expelled. But Voldemort forces people to do whatever he wants. So matter how much Hagrid hated him, he was still forced to carry Harry's "dead" body from the forest to the castle. All he wanted was for Harry to finish him off, get it over with. He always knew Harry could do it, always encouraged him etc.

4. Hagrid's parents are both dead, and now he's just got his half-brother Grawp. How did being abandoned by his mother & the loss of his father, affect him? Will his plans for his baby brother ever come to fruition or will the MoM attempt to use Hagrid and Grawp as a leverage to get Harry to do as requested? There was the question of giant involvement in the 'hurricane in the West Country'...

Hagrid obviously felt very alone when his parents died. There was no one else like him at school. Well we now know that his plans with Grawp did work, and we also know that the hurricane in the West Country was the giants that Voldemort had, it wasn't Grawp.

5. Hagrid and his monster obsession, when & why did it start? Will it ever end? How many scrapes has Dumbledore gotten Hagrid out of, in regards to his liking of 'interestin' creatures'? JK has said that for Hagrid and his fascination, it's all about overcoming things that can kill him---which is a central theme in the books, overcoming.

Well Hagrid was always an animal lover, and could see the good things in very dangerous creatures, and he felt sorry for them because no one else showed them love and care.

6. Hagrid & Madame Maxime? Will they get together in book 7?
When asked this question: Does Hagrid get a wife?
JK responded: Does Hagrid get a wife? You think anyone would want to live with a man who breeds Blast-Ended Skrewts?

I think they might, but then again, it might be better if they remained friends

Old May 19th, 2009, 10:50 am
Fifth Year

Eh, I think Hagrid has some street smarts. Rita is one of the few people he trusts too easily and that probably had to do with what he was going through in his personal life with reconnecting to his heritage and wanting to be more open about that. If Rita had tried something like that two or three years earlier, Hagrid might not have been so receptive.

He's made some correct calls regarding others - notably Snape. Yes, that was mainly because he trusted Dumbledore but hey, that's another right call Hagrid made. He got the Dursleys number pretty quickly and it's not like he was ever fooled by the Malfoys even though many more sophisticated people in the Ministry were. He navigated through the Muggle world with ease, despite his looks making him stand out. If he didn't have street smarts, he wouldn't have been able to do that.

Hagrid's not the savviest or smoothest operator but he's not a hapless oaf either.

JKR said it, I believe it, that settles it.

Ravenclaw here but Gryffindor on Pottermore | Add me, I'm LightStar74.
Old June 7th, 2009, 5:22 am
Fourth Year

1. Keeper of Keys & Grounds at Hogwarts and Care of Magical Creatures Professor. What made Dumbledore convince Dippet to keep Hagrid on & train him as a replacement for groundskeeper? Dumbledore met Tom Riddle when he was 10 years old. Albus saw how manipulative and sociopathic Riddle was at 10. Riddle admitted to hurting Children who were mean to him without batting an eyelash, looking down on the ground, shuffling his feet or twittling his thumbs, quivering his lip. Even the memory Riddle told Harry that Dumbledore kept an "annoying close watch" on him, which meant that Dumbledore knew the kid could hurt a Child and not even be sorry for it.
On the other hand, Hagrid was a Giant, wasn't as intelligent as the other Students. He loved nearly everyone he met, especially those who were abused, neglected, slower than others. He especially loved Animals because they were so defenseless and trusting. Albus knew deep down that Hagrid would never intentionally hurt another person or thing. If he did by accident, Albus knew Hagrid would be devastated.
Hagrid also found it hard keeping things to himself. While he wasn't a gossiper, he could never be fully trusted with anything of value, importance, dangerous, etc. So if he did do something wrong, even by accident, I personally see him running to Albus saying "I've done something terrible". The guilt alone would compel him to speak up.
The main factor is this. Hagrid didn't have the mental capabilities to think out, plan and execute a murder. Even though Riddle never laid a hand on Myrtle, he did murder her. He did this while under the watchful eyes of the Professors, including Dumbledore who "kept an annoyingly close watch" on him. He lied to other people, manipulated them to do his dirty deeds and didn't think twice about it. Hagrid would have cracked under pressure of even thinking of scaring someone.
Plus Dumbledore knew Hagrid was too gentle to commit such a horrible act. Would
What other qualifications, besides size/obsession with monster animals, qualifies him to teach? His love for Children, his compassion, his "atta boy" disposition. No matter how badly a Student failed, he was always there with an "Atta Boy". Will he be allowed to continue as a teacher, now that Dumbledore is dead? Absolutely! He's like a member of their Family. Plus I don't really see the Staff feeling complete without Hagrid in their midst. Plus, the Students would have a fit if Hagrid was fired. Even the Slytherins seemed to like him when they weren't among Draco's influence. Plus, deep down, I think Draco knew Hagrid would help him if he was in serious trouble.
Why does Dumbledore trust Hagrid, even after all the slip-ups Hagrid's made? Because he knows they aren't intentional. Albus knows Hagrid can't help being clumsy, forgetful. After all, he is the most gentle Character in the books and would never harm another preson. Is Hagrid's fierce loyalty to Dumbledore part of the reason? I would imagine so. Would you trust Hagrid with the same very important tasks that Dumbledore did? Yes for two reasons. Number one is his heart is in the right place. He guarded baby Harry with his life, protected Albus and would die for them if necessary. Plus, look at the size of the man. Nobody in their right mind would mess with him. Plus, if anyone could smell a skunk from a mile away, it would be Hagrid. He wasn't easily fooled by someone laying on the charm, acting all sweet and innocent. He also wasn't overly impressed by people who kissed up to him. He could always smell a Skunk and see beyond their attempts to disguize their stench.
2. In regards to Hagrid's sheer physical presence/description, JK has said: "In shape he's modeled on the Welsh chapter of Hells Angels who'd swoop down on the town and hog the bar, huge mountains of leather and hair" AND "For Harry, Ron and Hermione, he's benign, but he's supposed to be quite intimidating towards the people who don't maybe appreciate his particular taste in creatures." Hagrid really seems to not know his own strength, and we've seen him sad, hurt, happy, angry, and in a terrible temper. How has Hagrid's character evolved, and what displays of his loyalty and his temper, stick in your mind the most? Well, at first, he did seem like a bit of a clutz and somewhat

3. Having been expelled from Hogwarts because of Tom Riddle, Hagrid's never been too great at magic, though he occassionally surprises himself and others. How does Hagrid feel about Tom Riddle? Well, if there was one person Hagrid hated, it was Riddle. I think if anyone intimidated Hagrid, it was Riddle. I think Hagrid saw beyond the Riddle who could charm a Skunk into believing it was a Cat. In other words, Hagrid knew Tom was a pro in lying, manipulating others to gain what he wanted. Hagrid knew there was something dangerous about Tom and when the time came, he knew his words, no matter how truthful meant nothing compared to Tom Riddle. How does he feel about the present day, Voldemort? Fear.How will he aid the Trio in book 7? Will Hagrid be a source of info to Harry, in regards to the young Tom Riddle?

4. Hagrid's parents are both dead, and now he's just got his half-brother Grawp. How did being abandoned by his mother & the loss of his father, affect him? He longed to have someone to nurture him. He longed to have a Father Figure who saw beyond his physical appearance and obstacles and saw the loving person inside him. Will his plans for his baby brother ever come to fruition or will the MoM attempt to use Hagrid and Grawp as a leverage to get Harry to do as requested?

5. Hagrid and his monster obsession, when & why did it start? Maybe as a small Child. Definitely during his early years at Hogwarts. Will it ever end? Unless something horribly wrong, that wasn't caused by a Student's teasing of the creature, I don't think so. He some how can get to their level and "talk to them". Not like Riddle or Dr. Doolittle, but in his own special way. How many scrapes has Dumbledore gotten Hagrid out of, in regards to his liking of 'interestin' creatures'? Too many to count.

6. Hagrid & Madame Maxime? Will they get together in book 7?
When asked this question: Does Hagrid get a wife? No. As much as he is fascinated by the idea, I think he enjoys being single and knows he'd have to give up his dangerous creatures, somehow become less attached to Gwarp and give a lot of things up.
JK responded: Does Hagrid get a wife? You think anyone would want to live with a man who breeds Blast-Ended Skrewts?

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Old August 31st, 2009, 5:57 pm
Sixth Year

I don't get how people got the idea that Hagrid was in Hufflepuff. I mean, I always reckoned he was Gryffindor. If he was Hufflepuff, he wouldn't say they were duffers, now would he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think Hagrid had great "street smarts" (for lack of a better term), and he had progressed beyond his mid-third year education (see: aquamenti, a sixth year spell when Harry was there). He was quite gifted with the animals, too - that's a form of smarts in and of itself. He'd never sound smart - the accent and his inability to hide his emotions or keep a secret didn't help here - but he was better than many in the wizarding world (with the notable exception of Dumbledore and Harry's crew) gave him credit for.
Not really. He's downright naive when it came to dealing with shady people. It's easier than nicking candy from a baby-he's easily tricked. I wouldn't say he's street smart. Perhaps he has a huge heart and a kind soul, but not street smart in my book.

Old August 31st, 2009, 6:05 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post
I don't get how people got the idea that Hagrid was in Hufflepuff. I mean, I always reckoned he was Gryffindor. If he was Hufflepuff, he wouldn't say they were duffers, now would he?
Exactly, I had always seen him as a Gryffindor.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old September 8th, 2009, 1:43 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Did he call them duffers? I always had the impression he liked Hufflepuffs. From the way he told Harry that nothing's wrong with being sorted into Hufflepuff.

Quote:
Not really. He's downright naive when it came to dealing with shady people. It's easier than nicking candy from a baby-he's easily tricked. I wouldn't say he's street smart. Perhaps he has a huge heart and a kind soul, but not street smart in my book.
I would agree that he's not smart. But I wouldn't call him naive, either. He simply oversees bad traits of other people. But that's not being naive, imo. He doesn't expect Rita to tell false tales about him. He doesn't the Malfoys to do anything funny in Diagon Alley. He believed that Slughorn did really sympathize with him when Aragog died. He believed that Madam Maxim really wanted his company in GoF. All this refers to good nature. He would never do such things to other people and so he doesn't expect other people to do such things with him. It's a weakness but not a bad thing, imo.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 12th, 2009, 8:23 am
Third Year

I don't think he thought too negatively about Hufflepuff. I am certain, however, that he was a Gryffindor.

Hagrid's kind nature was probably what allowed him to relate well with 'terrifying monsters'. He was able to see the good qualities in the creatures and overlook the freaky.

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?
Old September 13th, 2009, 7:31 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Maybe, somewhat like he took in and protected Prof. Trelawney, Dumbledore took Hagrid in because he knew he would not be able to survive well otherwise (with both parents dead and him being expelled in his third year, age 13). Had Voldemort been able to enlist Hagrid, which he might have if Hagrid had been thrown completely out of Hogwarts, I think he would have been a force to be reconned with. Hagrid was trusting and guillable, and, Voldemort could have taken great advantage of that.

I think the fact that Dumbledore went to bat for him and kept him at Hogwarts working with the creatures he loved, won his love and loyalty. Dumbledore may not have been a surrogate father, but, he was the person Hagrid cared most for in the world.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:25 am
First Year

He would'nt join Voldemort even if he was expelled . Voldy was the one who got him expelled right? But true, DUmbledore was the person he cared most about. Dumbledore probably also trusted him more because he knew that Hagrid was innocent.
I'll really miss him.

Old September 13th, 2009, 10:30 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by padfootmarauder View Post
He would'nt join Voldemort even if he was expelled . Voldy was the one who got him expelled right? But true, DUmbledore was the person he cared most about. Dumbledore probably also trusted him more because he knew that Hagrid was innocent.
I'll really miss him.
Did Hagrid know that Voldemort was really Tom Riddle? It doesn't seem to be general knowledge, does it?

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 15th, 2009, 7:45 am
First Year

Hagrid would have known.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies