Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Rubeus Hagrid: Character Analysis

Old February 11th, 2008, 12:13 pm
Second Year

Re: Rubeus Hagrid: Character Analysis

Yeah, but according to Draco (This was before he had any real reason to embellish upon these points) his occasional magical misfirings caused him to light his house on fire. Wy didn't he use something like Qwikspell to increase his basic magical skill?

Remember, men who see the world a little differently are viewed as insane. The Christians were. They still are.

Every group of people must go through some suffering. Americas is approaching fast.

Wand - Eucaplyptus and Living Steel core, Animagus - Dingo, Patronus - Tasmanian Tiger

Australian, and Damn proud.
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:34 am
Beauxbatons Champion

6. Hagrid & Madame Maxime? Will they get together in book 7?
When asked this question: Does Hagrid get a wife?
JK responded: Does Hagrid get a wife? You think anyone would want to live with a man who breeds Blast-Ended Skrewts?

Aaaaw, I so wanted him and Madame Maxime to get together and be happy, but after JKR's comment I'm not so sure. I think I'd like to ignore JKR's comment and imagine that after the Battle of Hogwarts Madame Maxime came over to help with the rebuild of Hogwarts, and that later Hagrid proposed to her and they lived on Hogwarts grounds with many big children. I wish I don't think that would be the life for Maxime. Poor Hagrid.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:30 am
Second Year

I'm not really sure if this would count as inappropriate, if so, i apologize, and please remove it immediately.

Hagrids mother abandoned him and his dad just after his birth, since Hagrid was a small child. But what did she expect? Hagrid's father was human, of course Hagrid was going to be tiny (relatively). So why did she....um...you know.... in the first place?

Remember, men who see the world a little differently are viewed as insane. The Christians were. They still are.

Every group of people must go through some suffering. Americas is approaching fast.

Wand - Eucaplyptus and Living Steel core, Animagus - Dingo, Patronus - Tasmanian Tiger

Old February 16th, 2008, 11:44 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewbacca View Post
I'm not really sure if this would count as inappropriate, if so, i apologize, and please remove it immediately.

Hagrids mother abandoned him and his dad just after his birth, since Hagrid was a small child. But what did she expect? Hagrid's father was human, of course Hagrid was going to be tiny (relatively). So why did she....um...you know.... in the first place?
In-fact an even better question would be...uh..I've always wondered this......uh...um..how can..a...uh you know big giant (she was no half-giant, she was a real giant, right?)...how can such a huge giantess mate with such a small wizard? Is it even genetically and scientifically possible?

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old February 16th, 2008, 12:25 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
In-fact an even better question would be...uh..I've always wondered this......uh...um..how can..a...uh you know big giant (she was no half-giant, she was a real giant, right?)...how can such a huge giantess mate with such a small wizard? Is it even genetically and scientifically possible?
I was too scared to ask that one.

Supposedly, Giants, along with Veela's and, apparently, Goblins, are close enough to human in terms of genetics that they can interbreed succesfully. Its like mating a Labrador with a Poodle. But as for the... *ahem*...well...mechanics... of the..... thing... well, that goes up for debate.

Last edited by thewbacca; February 16th, 2008 at 12:29 pm.
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:31 pm
Zonko's Employee

I still don't understand how a wizard and a giantess could fall in love. I mean what did he see in her? I could understand maybe he was a submissive guy and wanted a big and strong woman....maybe...I don't know.

Old February 16th, 2008, 12:38 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
I still don't understand how a wizard and a giantess could fall in love. I mean what did he see in her? I could understand maybe he was a submissive guy and wanted a big and strong woman....maybe...I don't know.
"If we could choose who we fell in love with, it would be much simpler, but much less magical". We have no idea what kind of a woman she was. Granted, we do know that she ran out on them both, but we have no idea what kind of a person she was other than that. She may have been a kind, caring person, who Hagrids father spent time with, and grew to love.

Old February 16th, 2008, 4:05 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Let's shift back to Hagrid's character and analysis of it

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 5:24 am
Zonko's Employee

I want to take a moment to analyize the Hagrid/Dumbledore relationship. Now, Hagrid obviously regarded Dumbledore as a surrogate father figure and he was someone who accepted and supported him through dark and difficult times. Dumbledore's death would have been a major blow to Hagrid as we saw.

But I think it is more interesting to analyize why Dumbledore trusted and honoured Hagrid so much. After DH, you could say it is an expression of Dumbledore's Machvellian Manipulitive tendancies. Hagrid being strong and physically powerful yet slow, innocent and maybe a bit dumb but with a good heart would make the perfect tool. Someone you could trust with your most important because no one would mess with him and you know he is loyal to you to death. But I think it might go deeper for Dumbledore.

Has anyone sensed a connection between Hagrid and Aberforth? Hagrid strikes me as very similiar to Aberforth Dumbledore and vice versa. I find that extremely intruiging.

1. Both Hagrid and Aberfoth have a sometimes unhealthy obsession with animals. Hagrid with his beasts and Aberforth with his goats.

2. Both are more emotional than practical. Both perfer duels to a good debate. Both are prone to anger and lashing out. Hagrid has quite a temper and we've seen this from Aberforth when he punched Albus in the nose at Ariana's funeral.

3. Both are slightly innocent and academicly inept but completely loyal to their family and loved ones.

4. Both have had a strong connection to their younger sibling however 'odd' or 'deranged' in the case of Gawp and Ariana.

5. Neither are motivated by their careers but more maternal and both are 'carers' by nature.

6. They are both fond of the drink. Hagrid is a frequent haunt of the Hogs Head and Aberforth is the barman.

Dumbledore even compares Hagrid to Aberforth in GOF when he tries to persuade Hagrid to go back to work after Rita's article about him being a half-giant.

I don't know I find them very similar and maybe Dumbledore's trust and love of Hagrid has something to do with his guilt about dismissing and abandening his less brilliaint younger brother and never getting to know him well and connect with him. Also some of Hagrid's rash and impulsive qualities may remind Albus of his long lost father who was imprisoned for attacking the muggle boys who attacked his sister.

The fact that Dumbledore would befriend a half-giant like Hagrid and trust him and support him so much is just another tribute to his socially progressive and often controversial persona. I just wonder if it goes a little deeper.

Hagrid would be the stand-in figure for the little brother who had since disowned him (even if the brother's relationship became friendlier later in life.)

It's an intriuging and interesting issue IMO.

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; March 3rd, 2008 at 5:41 am.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 5:53 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I like Hagrid. He’s a big giant kid. He’s very loyal and truly cares for his friends. Hagrid is Harry’s first friend. He is his protector. Being friends with Hagrid is what keeps Harry safe every time he goes into the Forbidden Forest. I’m glad he didn’t die. Harry doesn’t need for all his adult friends to die!

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 7:51 pm
Fifth Year

I've just started re-reading PS/SS and it struck me in the scene where Hagrid comes to get Harry that he uses some pretty good magic, giving Dudley a tail & getting the boat to move by itself. It struck me that

a) he's using a broken wand - anytime we see wands that are broken the wizard has a hard time using them

and

b) he's not speaking the spell - he's thinking the spell. Now, we see in the series that Harry doesn't start learning this until 6th year - so unless wizards were taught it at an earlier age in Hagrid's days (I doubt this though) then Hagrid must have either gotten some extra tuition over the years or he's got some powerful magic in him, which I believe he might do. I don't think that Hagrid is at all as incapable at magic as he acted in the books.

Because of Edward Cullen...I'm staying single until I find a vampire
Old March 23rd, 2008, 8:12 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

I believe that's all due to the fact that Jo hadn't worked out small details that eraly in the series, and I'm not sure it can be used as testimony to Hagrid's skills.

Old March 24th, 2008, 12:19 pm
Fifth Year

I don't know, I like to think that Hagrid could have been a lot smarter than he looked. And it would make sense to me at least, that Dumbledore may have given him lessons after his wand was taken, Dumbledore was that kind of character I'm re-reading the whole series though so i'm going to be keeping an eye out for further evidence of Hagrid's powers.

Old March 24th, 2008, 1:18 pm

I've never thought Hagrid looked stupid in any way.

Old March 24th, 2008, 8:09 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
I've never thought Hagrid looked stupid in any way.
sorry...that's not what I meant...I forget sometimes that I have different sayings that might confuse non-native English speakers at times sorry! I didn't mean that he literally looked stupid, but that he could have been smarter or had more magic than he portrayed as a character in the series, for whatever reasons he may have had. I could be wrong about him being more powerful than he came across in the books, but i'll be paying more attention to any magic he uses as i'm re-reading

Old March 25th, 2008, 1:52 am
Second Year

I just thought I'd add that Hagrid is not always wrong about things that look vicous being gentle, let us not forget the Hippogryphs, the Thestrals, and Grawp.

Old March 25th, 2008, 2:21 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I don't attribute Hagrid's strong magical abilities to any mistake of JKR's. Even when she was writing PS/SS, she knew Hagrid had been expelled since he mentions it as he and Harry are leaving the Hut-On-The-Rock.

I agree with mariebeth83 that it's possible Dumbledore could have given Hagrid lessons.
It's obvious Hagrid know some advanced magic. People generally learn things from books or from another person. Now, Hagrid admits he can't spell "Voldemort", so I suspect there are a lot of other things he can't spell either. If he had pored over tons of volumes from the library, I think his spelling (and grammar?) would have improved. But Hagrid doesn't, IMO, show signs of having read as much as, say, Hermione.
That leaves another person teaching Hagrid.
The reason it's likely to have been Dumbledore is because 1. Hagrid has enormous trust and respect for the man, and 2. Students do not normally begin Care of Magical Creatures class until third year. So Hagrid would not have known much of the magic needed to ward off or tend to certain animals. Since Dumbledore was the one to secure him the job, he may have had to teach Hagrid some advanced spells so that he would not end up werewolf chow.

Of course, Ogg is another possibility. As gamekeeper, he would need to teach his apprentice a few tricks as well.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old March 25th, 2008, 2:24 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariebeth83 View Post
sorry...that's not what I meant...I forget sometimes that I have different sayings that might confuse non-native English speakers at times sorry! I didn't mean that he literally looked stupid, but that he could have been smarter or had more magic than he portrayed as a character in the series, for whatever reasons he may have had. I could be wrong about him being more powerful than he came across in the books, but i'll be paying more attention to any magic he uses as i'm re-reading
I don't think it's wrong that he was portrait in this way. Not wrong that I think that he deserved to be like that, but that it fits canon.
Hagrid left school earlier than other people did and then was prohibited to use magic for almost all his life. He doesn't have the education in magic other people have. He can learn more things later, but I still don't think he was on the same level than others.

The End of the Dream.
Old March 25th, 2008, 8:24 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
Now, Hagrid admits he can't spell "Voldemort", so I suspect there are a lot of other things he can't spell either.
I dunno. Considering his fear of the word, its unlikely he would have ever come across it in the written form. As he went to school with Riddle, he heard it around the campus. As he grew up, he grew to be afraid of the name. As everyone else was referring to him as "You-Know-Who" or "He-Who-Must-Not-Named" in print, it seems that, apart from phoenetics, not that many people would have any idea how to spell it.
Quote:
2. Students do not normally begin Care of Magical Creatures class until third year. So Hagrid would not have known much of the magic needed to ward off or tend to certain animals. Since Dumbledore was the one to secure him the job, he may have had to teach Hagrid some advanced spells so that he would not end up werewolf chow.
Eh, Hagrid was raising werewolves when he was a kid, and he was wrestling with trolls most nights. (both of which Dairy Riddle tells us, they don't seem particularly insulting, so I'll take them as facts). He already had a knack for defending himself, and his behaviour with Aragog showed he was extremely good at caring for things. Its likely that most of his Care Of Magical Creatures stuff was instinct, due to him being (a) able to understand and even identify with most magical animals, and (b) exceedingly gentle. the other 10% he just picked up as he went along.

Quote:
Of course, Ogg is another possibility. As gamekeeper, he would need to teach his apprentice a few tricks as well.
Who's Ogg?

Did Hagrid know that Voldemort was the heir of Slytherin, at any time before everyone else found out?

Last edited by thewbacca; March 25th, 2008 at 8:31 am.
Old March 25th, 2008, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariebeth83 View Post
I know, I just thought I'd mention it because I've read many people's comments calling him stupid. I didn't mean that you were doing it as well

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies