Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Rubeus Hagrid: Character Analysis

Old August 14th, 2007, 8:35 am
Third Year

Re: Rubeus Hagrid: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
And not only literature. It's in everyday life. And it's because men have been the prestigeous sex for the better part of human history, and still sre, actually, so it's always good to have their characteristics.
The question, though, is if they are the prestidigious sex. Sorry.

No, you're right. Women can wear pants and still be women, but men can't wear dresses and still be men. (Excepting kilts.) Women can earn money and still be women, but men can't raise children and still be men.

Minerva can be a tough, intelligent, often powerful witch and still be a strong character; but when Hagrid (arguably the toughest, manliest man physically) shows his motherly side, he's comic relief.

Peace,
Christopher

A story about religion, magic, muggles
and what happens when you give up your wizard heritage:
Read it here. Comment on it here.

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2007, 5:55 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by criostoir View Post
No, you're right. Women can wear pants and still be women, but men can't wear dresses and still be men. (Excepting kilts.) Women can earn money and still be women, but men can't raise children and still be men.

Minerva can be a tough, intelligent, often powerful witch and still be a strong character; but when Hagrid (arguably the toughest, manliest man physically) shows his motherly side, he's comic relief.
Exactly.

Anyway, was I the only one who was sure Hagrid wasn't going to die?

Old August 14th, 2007, 6:06 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Exactly.

I was hoping upon hope he wouldn't die; but until JK's statements that Arthur got the reprieve, I was thinking that Hagrid got the reprieve.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 14th, 2007, 6:23 pm
Second Year

Hagrid was not talented or skilled, most probably because he was expelled from learning magic, but he was one of the most faithful and loyal friends of Harry. I liked him from the start, and am glad he didn't die.

"What were you doing under our window, boy?"
"Listening to the news," said Harry in a resigned voice.
His aunt and uncle exchanged looks of outrage.
Lines removed - maximum 7 lines of text
Old August 14th, 2007, 6:44 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

All we have is Tom Riddle's word that Hagrid wasn't very skilled. He wasn't supremely educated, but he did pull of "aguamenti" - a NEWT-level charm - on his first try (granted, he had the motivation of putting his house out, but still).

Pre-DH I opined that DD may have tought him a few tricks and spells over the years. DD was extremely accomplished at non-verbal spells, but I think in Hagrid's presence he always spoke the words aloud, so that Hagrid could see and learn them.

Hagrid's lack of spellwork in battle has more to do with his physical assets than his skill - given the choice between a right hook and a "stupefy" the right hook is faster and more efficient for him.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old August 15th, 2007, 12:31 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast_ended View Post
Truth is, when Hagrid was dragged down by the spiders I was sure he's dead, and I actually though it was very fitting; I wasn't happy to see him dead, of course, but having him killed by his own creatures, Aragog's sons... I just though it works, and it's the best way to have him killed. I was nearly dissapointed when he survived...

But then again, Hagrid carrying Harry out of the forest was very fitting and very powerful too!
Hagrid carried Harry, as a baby, away from the ruins of his home after Voldemort's attack on him. Then, after another attack by Voldemort, Hagrid carries him out of the Forest. It seems very fitting.

Old August 15th, 2007, 2:13 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
We have disagreed on so many things, it's par for the course that I thought Hagrid would die. I actually thought he would die trying to kill Nagini (I mean she's not dangerous---just misunderstood! )

Old August 15th, 2007, 2:41 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageThyme View Post
4. Hagrid's parents are both dead, and now he's just got his half-brother Grawp. How did being abandoned by his mother & the loss of his father, affect him?
There was a discussion in the Feminism thread on the main DH boards that arose about Hagrid, as a male character, taking on a maternal role, which got me thinking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewoman View Post
In Book 1, when Norbert hatches, Hagrid says "Bless him, look, he knows his mommy!" (in "Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback.). There's also the pink umbrella hiding Hagrid's wand (pink not being a traditional masculine color), and the fact that he is associated more with cooking than any other character in the books (okay, not GOOD cooking, but cooking nonetheless). Dumbledore mentors Harry, but Hagrid looks after him more.
I found Hagrid's behavior interesting seeing as how his mother left his father: clearly his father had a positive influence on him by sticking around and caring for him. Since Hagrid's mother was a giantess (and Hagrid is very much defined by that characteristic- his size is often remarked on) it almost seems that he took on a very maternal role in emulation of her to fill the void left by her departure.

In turn, an almost subconsciously, he tries to fill that same void in Harry's life as well, by acting as a sort of "den mother" to the trio at school: he's a bit like Molly, in fact, except as Shewoman mentioned, he's not a very good cook

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.
Old August 15th, 2007, 5:26 pm
Second Year

Well, I feel a bit of shame to admit it, but I actually felt a little dissapointed when Hagrid survived the spiders attack... not because I wanted Hagrid dead - I didn't - but I just though it was the perfect way to kill him!

Just like after Snape's or Wormtail's deaths, both was written perfectly and the idea behind them was great, after she had Hagrid taken away by his own spiders I though Rowling is a genious... to have Hagrid killed by his own spiders will be the most fitting way for hagrid to die... it always seemed weird to me that he survived the blast-ended skrewts.

But hagrid taking Harry out of the forest was very powerful too... so maybe it's good he survived.

Old August 15th, 2007, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast_ended View Post
Just like after Snape's or Wormtail's deaths, both was written perfectly and the idea behind them was great, after she had Hagrid taken away by his own spiders I though Rowling is a genious... to have Hagrid killed by his own spiders will be the most fitting way for hagrid to die... it always seemed weird to me that he survived the blast-ended skrewts.
No, it would have been cruel, and it would have made Hagrid look like a loser and an idiot, and it would have sent the message that his greatest passion was, after all, a bad idea. I never thought it was, because it made him happy, and I laways admired him for being in such a harmony with the Forest creatures, and for his power to understand and interact with the magical part of nature. So if his own "pets" had killed him, that would have really flatten that out, which would be just cruel. I'm very happy with how Hagrid's character was developed in DH, very happy indeed

Old September 24th, 2007, 10:08 am
Fifth Year

Nothing wrong with 'men' cooking.....I haven't killed anybody yet!
Hagrid, well...we've known him since the first chapter of Philosopher's Stone and I for one am thrilled that he survived!

Old September 27th, 2007, 11:23 pm
I want to believe

1. Keeper of Keys & Grounds at Hogwarts and Care of Magical Creatures Professor. What made Dumbledore convince Dippet to keep Hagrid on & train him as a replacement for groundskeeper? What other qualifications, besides size/obsession with monster animals, qualifies him to teach?
Perhaps Dumbledore insisted to Dippet that Hagrid was innocent even though he was found to be guilty, and offered to take full responsibility for Hagrid. Iím not really sure though, because it doesnít seem like that would be enough to convince Dippet to let Hagrid stay. Whatever the explanation Dumbledore gave, it seems he likely held a strong influence at Hogwarts for them to allow Hagrid to stay on. As for his teaching qualifications, to be honest Iím not sure Hagrid really qualifies as a teacher aside from his size and obsession with magical creatures. He does like to be with students, but he doesnít seem to have that great a teaching sense.

2. He really seems to not know his own strength, and we've seen him sad, hurt, happy, angry, and in a terrible temper. How has Hagrid's character evolved, and what displays of his loyalty and his temper, stick in your mind the most?
Hagrid has evolved a little bit, I think. When we first met him, I seem to recall him slipping up quite a bit more than in later books. Also, I think that heís grown more serious and focused on Order business and fighting against Voldemort as the threat of Voldemort has increased. Some of his displays of loyalty and temper that stick most in my mind are probably giving Dudley a pig tail and fighting off the Ministry officials in OotP during Harryís Astronomy OWL. Also, even though he slipped up in the "Seven Potter's" chapter, the fact that he was willing to risk his life to protect Harry was a great display of loyalty.

3. Having been expelled from Hogwarts because of Tom Riddle, Hagrid's never been too great at magic, though he occasionally surprises himself and others. How does Hagrid feel about Tom Riddle?
Iím sure Hagrid must have greatly disliked Tom Riddle for framing him for opening the Chamber of Secrets, and Iím sure he hates Voldemort just as much as any Order member. The fact that he knew Tom Riddle when in school suggests heíd be one of the few people who know of Voldemortís real name.

4. Hagrid's parents are both dead, and now he's just got his half-brother Grawp. How did being abandoned by his mother & the loss of his father, affect him?
Perhaps losing his parents gave him more independence. But losing his father also gave him his worst memory, as we are told. I really like that he was able to civilize Grawp though in DH to the point where he fought against the giants who were fighting for Voldemort, and to the point where he could be in proximity to people and not harm them.

5. Hagrid and his monster obsession, when & why did it start? Will it ever end? How many scrapes has Dumbledore gotten Hagrid out of, in regards to his liking of 'interestin' creatures'? JK has said that for Hagrid and his fascination, it's all about overcoming things that can kill him---which is a central theme in the books, overcoming.
It must have started in his childhood, since he is caught with Aragog by Tom Riddle. It just seems the kind of hobby that must have started when he was rather young. I donít really think itíll end, nor do I want it to Ė it is a defining characteristic of Hagrid. Itís interesting that Hagridís fascination for interesting creatures is about overcoming things that can kill him Ė Iíd actually not seen that quote. But I suppose it tells us something about Hagridís character: he almost seems to be testing his limits.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old November 28th, 2007, 3:10 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

My latest reread made me think about just how brave and devoted Hagrid was. He charged into the acromantulas...held a "Support Harry Potter" party...broke through the DE ranks to get to the battle in the first place...was the only Harry supporter in the forest apart from Harry in The Forest Again...jumped off his motorbike at the DE's in the escape from 4 Privet Drive...the list goes on and on . At the same time, he may have been a bit too dependent on the whole half-giant-helps-him-survive thing, but who am I to argue with the results?

Hagrid also provided a pair of beautiful story arcs, in him carrying Harry away from the house that he'd brought him to in the first place (symmetry!), and also in carrying him out of the forest. He carried Harry out of the ruins of Godric's Hollow...and out of the Forest. He delivered Harry to the Dursleys...and took him away for the last time.

Yup, I'm a Hagrid fan

Old November 28th, 2007, 9:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Hagrid also provided a pair of beautiful story arcs, in him carrying Harry away from the house that he'd brought him to in the first place (symmetry!), and also in carrying him out of the forest. He carried Harry out of the ruins of Godric's Hollow...and out of the Forest. He delivered Harry to the Dursleys...and took him away for the last time.
Of course I failed to notice this, especially the Godric's Hollow/Forest prallels. I love it! Thanks

Quote:
Yup, I'm a Hagrid fan
Me too. Hagrid was the first character I took to, he was sooo lovable in PS, and I have been especially fond of him ever since. It's interesting that Hagrid is not actually that important to the plot structure, I mean the basic plot could have developed without him pretty well. Yet he's one of the best written and most lovable characters (in my opinion) of the series, especially in his relationship to the Trio, and what he meant to them while they were at Hogwarts.

Old November 28th, 2007, 2:43 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Of course I failed to notice this, especially the Godric's Hollow/Forest parallels. I love it! Thanks

Me too. Hagrid was the first character I took to, he was sooo lovable in PS, and I have been especially fond of him ever since. It's interesting that Hagrid is not actually that important to the plot structure, I mean the basic plot could have developed without him pretty well. Yet he's one of the best written and most lovable characters (in my opinion) of the series, especially in his relationship to the Trio, and what he meant to them while they were at Hogwarts.
You're welcome

Hagrid was Harry's first real surrogate father - a role he never forgot. He's the whole "gentle giant" thing, but the reader does get to see his fierce side a couple times. He's overprotective and reckless, at the same time. He's also both comic relief and a tear-jerker. He's contradictory, and I love it all . He actually displays several motherly traits - towards his beasts and Hagrid - and even says so in SS/PS, where he calls himself Norbert(a)'s "mummy". So he's wonderfully complex even as he's a bit typecast .

Old December 21st, 2007, 3:19 pm
Second Year

I have a comment and a question about Rubeus Hagrid.

Comment: the reason for Hagrids love of Monsters is that he identifies with them, that is, he believes them to be like him : People have a prejudice against them because of their size and speicies, like him and his giant blood.

Question: at the time of the first opening of the Chamber of Secrets, it was assumed that Hagrid was Slytherins Heir, because Tom Marvollo Riddle framed him. Great. But when it became abundantly clear that Tom Marvollo Riddle wasn't an all around top bloke, why didn't the Ministry add two and two together, give Hagrid a new wand, and allow him to take a course to get the rest of his schooling? And why, even after Harry totally cleared his name, did Hagrid not go to Ollivanders and get a new wand, and get rid of his dangerous Pink Umbrella, which nearly killed both him and Harry in the final book?

Remember, men who see the world a little differently are viewed as insane. The Christians were. They still are.

Every group of people must go through some suffering. Americas is approaching fast.

Wand - Eucaplyptus and Living Steel core, Animagus - Dingo, Patronus - Tasmanian Tiger

Australian, and Damn proud.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:48 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

I think Hagrid was rather attached to his old wand, and he didn't want a new one. And, I think that the Ministry was never truly convinced of his innocence - and they distrusted him because of the half-giant thing and his unfortunate penchant to befriend monsters. Hagrid may have had to go through the Ministry to get a new wand, and I think he distrusted the ministry enough that he wanted no part of doing that, and preferred his old wand.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 9:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewbacca View Post
But when it became abundantly clear that Tom Marvollo Riddle wasn't an all around top bloke, why didn't the Ministry add two and two together, give Hagrid a new wand, and allow him to take a course to get the rest of his schooling?
Fom the way the Ministry was presented in the novels, I'd say they're not that fussed about justice. Unless Hagrid made an explicit request to be cleared and allowed to use his wand, I don't think they'd even give him a thought.

Quote:
And why, even after Harry totally cleared his name, did Hagrid not go to Ollivanders and get a new wand, and get rid of his dangerous Pink Umbrella, which nearly killed both him and Harry in the final book?
Well, because his old wand worked perfectly fine. Which leads me to another question, which I'm going to post into the Book mistakes thread.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 5:40 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Hagrid may have had to go through the Ministry to get a new wand, and I think he distrusted the ministry enough that he wanted no part of doing that, and preferred his old wand.
That seems most likely to me. I got the feeling that Hagrid would rather be surrounded by his exotic creatures than have great magical talent. I think the spells he was able to perform with his umbrella were probably sufficient for his purposes. He may never be able to do anything highly advanced with it, but I think he could get by well enough with what he was able to do.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old December 22nd, 2007, 5:44 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
That seems most likely to me. I got the feeling that Hagrid would rather be surrounded by his exotic creatures than have great magical talent. I think the spells he was able to perform with his umbrella were probably sufficient for his purposes. He may never be able to do anything highly advanced with it, but I think he could get by well enough with what he was able to do.
Yup, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Dumbledore tought him a fair amount of extra magic (maybe without Hagrid realizing Dumbledore was teaching him magic). Dumbledore trusted Hagrid, so I think he may have spoken the spells aloud in Hagrid's presence, rather than doing them silently, as he often did.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies