Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Lord Voldemort aka Tom Marvolo Riddle: Character Analysis

Old August 10th, 2007, 3:40 am
First Year

Re: Lord Voldemort aka Tom Marvolo Riddle: Character Analysis

Thanks, time is hard to keep up with for me. So making it the 30's makes it an even worse for tom's mom and her life. Still I would have guessed the purebloods of that time would've known. Was this the begining stage of the order of the phoenix by Dumbledore?

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2007, 4:09 am
First Year

As many others have pointed out, VM has similarities to Hitler, not least of which is his fanatical bigotry against those who have the same "impurity" he himself possesses. I would add that VM reminds me very much of Hitler in the way he met his end.

Adolph Hitler began his reign of terror as an amazingly scary creature. His rise to power was nothing short of brilliant. He started out as a criminal and sociopolitical mastermind with an uncanny instinct about human nature and behavior.

However, by the time of his downfall and subsequent demise he was a weak, pathetic failure, detached from people and reality, unable to lead, incapable of thinking straight, out of control. The same can be said of Voldemort.

I assert that when we say power corrupts, we're not just talking about moral decay. I think power brings on a decline of body, mind, and spirit. (Ever notice how even good leaders start to age more rapidly as they become more powerful? It takes a huge toll on their physical being).

Granted, Hitler and VM are both mad, but they started out as highly intelligent madmen. Power corrupted their bodies, minds, and spirits so completely that they ended up shells--parodies, even--of their former selves, lacking their previous common sense, failing to gain wisdom from their experiences, prone to poor judgment and glaring mistakes and tactical errors.

One of those mistakes is that they've grown so accustomed to their own success, they can't imagine a nonsuccessful outcome to their decisions. They believe their own press.

They also develop physical dependencies and/or mental obsessions that hinder the pursuit of their goals and ultimately lead to their destruction.

I think it's too easy to say the VM of DH is laughable or that JKR got lazy. Instead, I see in what happens to him the same all-encompassing corruption that has brought down other erstwhile horrifying figures. Nero, Hitler, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, and so many more began as impressive agents of vicious destruction and terror only to end fallen and derided. They were victims of their own corrupting, decadent power, and so was VM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thagrimreaper View Post
If he was truly evil, he really should have instituted some programs for genocidal Muggle-born mass executions...but nah, he was content leaving them locked up with dementors, waiting to be rescued. I don't buy this "I want to preserve pure-blood wizards" excuse....it seems like a copout to explain why Voldemort doesn't just kill more people outright, enabling them to survive and fulfill the standards of deus ex machina that have been established.
I see parallels to other ethnic cleansings/colonizations that have occurred. VM had plans for Mudblood genocide and Muggle enslavement, but he probably also intended to fortify the declining Pureblood "race" just as Hitler instituted state-decreed procreations of the chosen people.

I really do believe VM was reluctant to shed Pureblood because there aren't that many of them left in the world; how could he populate his version of Wizard supremacist society without Pureblood wizards? Similarly, the Khmer Rouge eventually realized they'd killed off so many Cambodians there weren't going to be enough people around to do the work. The regime began a campaign of forcing people to marry and making females get pregnant. If VM had ideas along those lines, he would try to preserve Purebloods' lives as much as possible, wouldn't he?

Old August 20th, 2007, 10:02 pm
Lycanthrope

I thought that the LV character, as villans go, made a lot of traditional mistakes. Too arrogant and a blindness to factors that could do him in. On the other hand, he was super talented with his coming up with new magic (flying) and new forms of terror. I don't know if he was behind the 'snatchers', but I imagine that was so. He was able to seem to have his show together enough to keep his DE's behind him - although of course terror and fear were a factor in the willingness of some to stay. However, we saw with at least Bella, he was also able to instill a deep love for himself in at least one of his followers. By the end I thought I saw some attachment to her on his part as well. He seemed quite upset when she was killed. I was glad that he didn't show remorse at the end, because in the line of great villans, he should not have (for literary purposes). However, sometimes his decisions and such came across as one who was not always thinking with the intelligence that he was known to have. He didn't seem to learn from his mistakes - even if he understood them.

When Harry ejected him from his body with Love, he should have realized the importance of 'love' as DD was always trying to indicate to him. But he continued to belittle it - and yet it was made fairly clear to him just how powerful it was. By not taking it into account, he came off as a little less than intelligent in that regard.

Overall as a character, I enjoyed Voldemort the villan and he would definitely make it into my list of top 100 villans of all time.

Old August 27th, 2007, 3:43 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Overall as a character, I enjoyed Voldemort the villan and he would definitely make it into my list of top 100 villans of all time.
Agreed that arrogance blinded Voldemort. He was supremely skilled and knowledgable, but he had a massive blind spot that Harry stayed in the entire time in DH.

Top 100 villians...who are the other 99? (OK, a little late 3 days later to make the joke, but still)

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 27th, 2007, 3:50 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Going back to the discussion about how Voldemort acted a bit stupid in DH, and the arrogance that chparadise just mentioned - I think that both are leading factors in Voldemort's idiotic behavior in GoF. I never quite understood why the whole triwizard tournament was needed, but I think a combination of his arrogance wanting an elaborate plan and his stupidity from soul mutilation clouding his justice lead to it.

Old August 27th, 2007, 4:03 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
Going back to the discussion about how Voldemort acted a bit stupid in DH, and the arrogance that chparadise just mentioned - I think that both are leading factors in Voldemort's idiotic behavior in GoF. I never quite understood why the whole triwizard tournament was needed, but I think a combination of his arrogance wanting an elaborate plan and his stupidity from soul mutilation clouding his justice lead to it.
Good point. Even babymort Voldy was arrogant.

And, I think early in DH we saw hints that maybe the horcrux-making process creates this arrogance and the blind spot. Maybe the horcrux inventor put that in as a "safety" against horcrux makers.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old August 27th, 2007, 4:14 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I just think that after seven soul mutations, the rest of ones body and mind might start to break as well as a sort of natural consequence.

Old August 27th, 2007, 2:12 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I just think that after seven soul mutations, the rest of ones body and mind might start to break as well as a sort of natural consequence.
I agree. I don't think Voldemort was "stupid," he just couldn't understand that maybe he wasn't the cleverest little student who alone found the room of requirements or that Dumbledore would research his mother's family. In his haste and arrogance, he never stopped to consider other people might stumble upon his secrets.
I don't see that as stupid, I see it as someone who is blinded and narrowminded. Eventhough Dumbledore once told Harry that Voldemort's mind was still intact and working after making horcruxes, I think it goes deeper than that. Sure Voldemort acted ruthless in DH, but we see his obesessions with Harry, with death, failure and finally the Elder Wand consume him so that it brings his downfall. I think his arrogance plus his split soul made it impossible for him to even consider his horcruxes weren't safe until it was too late.

Old August 27th, 2007, 2:26 pm
First Year

His blinded obsession for the Elder Wand was like a 10 year old's obsession for a mobile phone..

http://acmb.frih.net
Old August 27th, 2007, 2:51 pm
I want to believe

1) Do you think Voldemort deserves to be voted the "number one villain"? What qualities and/or actions make you think so (either way)?
Voldemort is a pretty scary villain, having split his own soul seven times. I think he deserves to be rated pretty high on the "villain list". Not only has he split his soul and thereby committed numerous murders, but he's psychopathic (even as a child), and he's sadistic. He's also frightening in that he can enter Harry's thoughts and plant false memories, and he's very powerful and knowledgeable.

2) What do you think of Voldemort's takeover plan in DH? What do you believe his ultimate objectives were?
His plan to invade Hogwarts was inevitable, I think. It makes sense that he would try to get control of Hogwarts, as an important establishment in the wizarding world of Britain. Voldemort's ultimate objectives were likely to gain dominion over the wizarding world so as to impose his ideals (of pureblood superiority) over the population. And likely to continue his quest for immortality, as well as to gain followers/supporters to thwart anyone who would resist him.

3) Tom Marvolo Riddle was a brilliant student, considered charming by many, and apparently a model of good behavior (prefect, Head Boy). How did he go so wrong on his life path? How did his childhood environment affect who he became? What was it about his years at Hogwarts that kept him on the path to evil? Why did he take a job as a lowly store clerk when he left Hogwarts?
I believe it was in Riddle's nature to be the way he was - ie, his arrogance and belief he was special was, to an extent, inborn. His circumstances fostered these traits, and thus they developed in young Riddle. At Hogwarts, I think his placement in Slytherin likely kept him on the path of evil (not to be biased against Slytherin, but I truly believe it cultivated further his pureblood supremacy ideas, among other things). And I'm sure he had access to information about his family at Hogwarts, and thus he would have learned about his ancestry as the heir of Slytherin. When he left Hogwarts, I think he took the job at Borgin and Burkes in order to lay low and figure out how to proceed next. Once he got Hufflepuff's Cup he was in a position to disappear.

4) Professor Trelawney prophesied that the Dark Lord would return more powerful than before. What things do you expect Lord Voldemort to do to show this greater power and increased legroom? Which of his plans can move forward now that Albus Dumbledore is dead?
I expected him to gain more followers and cause more general death and mayhem once he had arisen again. I expected him to introduce some new and more powerful forms of Dark Magic, and to use them on Harry and co. With Dumbledore dead, Voldemort had a clear path to Harry, I think, and could proceed with plans to get directly at him.

5. How effective are Voldemort's methods for controlling his followers? How do his methods compare to those of other leaders in the Potterverse?
Voldemort controls his followers by making them fear him, and (no doubt) by promising them rewards if they do his bidding. Fear is a powerful motivator, but it is no substitute for true loyalty. We see that in DH, when Narcissa is more concerned for her son's life than for Voldemort's victory. If she had been truly loyal to Voldemort, I don't believe she ever would have done that.

6. Voldemort has committed murder, "the supreme act of evil" according to Horace Slughorn. But it seems that splitting one's soul ("an act of violation, it is against nature" according to Slughorn) multiple times is also supremely evil. How has the act of creating Horcruxes damaged and/or aided Voldemort?
Voldemort's horcruxes aided him in that they kept him alive when he would otherwise have died, never to rise again. But they have obviously damaged Voldemort a great deal - with each new horcrux, Voldemort lost some of his humanity. He became even more incapable of remorse, I think, which would have been the only thing that could have put his maimed soul back together. Voldemort may have gained immortality, but what he lost was not worth what he gained.

7. What flaws do you think led to his downfall? Could he have avoided it?
Arrogance, underestimation of his foes, not understanding love, and not fostering loyalty in his followers are what I believe to be his main flaws that led to his downfall. I'm not sure he could have avoided it though - these things were just part of who he was.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 3rd, 2007, 9:32 am
MODLY CREW

ATTENTION PLEASE

I'd like to direct your attention to:

REVISED: Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray

Please read it carefully and post accordingly!

Old September 5th, 2007, 2:03 pm
First Year

I think that we would all agree that Albus Dumbledore is shown to be the most brilliant wizard in the series, certainly of recent times, maybe of all time (Hogwarts founders are also highly revered). Grindlewald and Voldemort are really the only 2 that rival his brilliance (I am not talking about good/evil here) and as we know he defeated them both (directly and less so through Harry).

Considering this I think we do Voldemort rather a disservice by suggesting that his Horcruxe plan was such a major flaw - after all it was discovered and thwarted by the most brilliant wizard (DD) after years and years of investigation. DD guessed correctly and after much searching discovered the Gaunt's hovel and the Cave hiding places and correctly identified Nagini as a Horcruxe and he armed Harry with this knowledge before sending him on his quest.

Old September 5th, 2007, 2:28 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWise View Post
Considering this I think we do Voldemort rather a disservice by suggesting that his Horcruxe plan was such a major flaw - after all it was discovered and thwarted by the most brilliant wizard (DD) after years and years of investigation. DD guessed correctly and after much searching discovered the Gaunt's hovel and the Cave hiding places and correctly identified Nagini as a Horcruxe and he armed Harry with this knowledge before sending him on his quest.
Well said! It's easy to think Voldemort was stupid where his horcruxes where concerned, but it did take a lot of time and effort on Dumbledore's part to figure out what he did. When Dumbledore died, it wasn't like he gave Harry a map with every horcrux and their location listed.

Old September 6th, 2007, 4:57 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Sorry to butt in here with some off-topic stuff, but I was looking through DH and came upon this paragraph, which really caught my eye:

Quote:
Every eye was fixed upon Voldemort, who stood with his head bowed, and his white hands folded over the Elder Wand in front of him. He might have been praying, or else counting silently in his mind, and Harry, standing still on the edge of the scene, thought absurdly of a child counting in a game of hide-and-seek. Behind his head, still swirling and coiling, the great snake Nagini floated in her glittering, charmed cage, like a monstrous halo.
Why all the imagery and metaphors? It's almost perverse, with Voldemort "praying" to the Elder Wand and that deadly "halo" above his head. And then there's the comparison to a child, of all things. Is Harry finally pitying Voldemort, seeing him as the simple, deluded, and stunted man he is?

But still, what of the theological images? Perhaps Voldemort praying over the wand is sort of like to Voldemort all that is good and can save him is not some god or even his own heart, but his power, or (to be more literal) a material object: the wand.

The halo is interesting. I'm no expert, but doesn't it signify some kind of divine light emanating from a saint or something. The "halo" has just committed a murder () so maybe the cage represents Voldemort's foul deeds....? I admit, I'm brainstorming and getting stumped here. Help?

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old September 9th, 2007, 4:11 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

It's a very perverse theology, but Voldemort is like a cult leader, so I think it does fit. He demanded absolute devotion, and he was quite cruel to those who defied him or in whom he was disappointed. I guess this scene was rather like the cult leader triumphant, and JK put that imagery in deliberately.

Old September 9th, 2007, 10:13 pm
Elvendork

How effective are Voldemort's methods for controlling his followers? How do his methods compare to those of other leaders in the Potterverse?
His methods for controlling and making sure his followers are loyal are completely different compared to Dumbledore's method. Dumbledore bases his recruiting on trust and the strength each character has. If someone from the Order makes a mistake, Dumbledore may get angry and/or disappointed, but he doesn't do anything horrible. Voldemort, however, is the complete opposite! He uses death and torture as means to make sure his supporters are loyal to him. If there is one person who would love to make the Unbreakable Vow, it'd be Voldemort. Voldemort fears death so greatly and the idea that breaking any orders or promises would result in death would greatly appeal to him.

What flaws do you think led to his downfall? Could he have avoided it?
His main flaw is his arrogance and lack of logic. In DH he often makes mistakes simply because he doesn't think his actions through. When he stole the wand from Dumbledore, why didn't he realize that the wand chooses the wizard? If he had been thinking straight, he would've immediately assumed that Snape was the true owner. And after he realized Snape wasn't the true owner, he would've realized it was Draco that he needed to conquer. His arrogance also leads to his downfall. He automatically assumes that no one could discover his secret about his horcruxes. Yet Regulus (who wasn't even twenty yet!) discovered it and Dumbledore did, too.

CoS and Pottermore sorted
You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

- Aristotle

Specialises in awesome picspams.
Old September 10th, 2007, 5:13 pm
Second Year

from the anti-character bashing guide...

Quote:
JK Rowling has written a variety of complex characters but I think without exception none of them are perfectly good or perfectly bad.
if only!

The fact that Voldemort was "perfectly bad" made him a disappointing villain to me.

And...as a thing of pure evil, shouldn't he have left a more lasting impression? Such a person could not have achieved so much power if there weren't something wrong or missing in wizard society -- some systemic weakness for him to exploit. Isn't that weakness still there? And if so, then what was the point of it all?

Old September 10th, 2007, 5:26 pm
Third Year

Voldemort's main faults were his thirst for power, his desire for dominance, but ultimately, his pride.

But Harry is also extremely proud.

Why didn't they end up the same?

"It is our choices, Harry, that define who we truly are."

It seems at first glance, that Jo made Voldemort "perfectly evil". A prime example would be that Voldemort exceeded the bounds of 'usual evil'.

But I think that because Voldemort and Harry started out in similar situations and have similar qualities, this makes Voldemort a more interesting character, by simply acting as Harry's foil.

Old September 10th, 2007, 5:41 pm
Renegade

1) Do you think Voldemort deserves to be voted the "number one villain"? What qualities and/or actions make you think so (either way)?

Yeah, I do. Jo has crafted a bad guy exhibiting an extreme form of antisocial personality disorder with clear psychopathic traits. Dangerous combination, that.

2) What do you think of Voldemort's takeover plan in DH? What do you believe his ultimate objectives were?

It was, as Lupin pointed out, a master stroke. I think he may well have gone on to attempt domination of the Muggle World once he had secured the wizarding community.

3) Tom Marvolo Riddle was a brilliant student, considered charming by many, and apparently a model of good behavior (prefect, Head Boy). How did he go so wrong on his life path? How did his childhood environment affect who he became? What was it about his years at Hogwarts that kept him on the path to evil? Why did he take a job as a lowly store clerk when he left Hogwarts?

ASPD. The evil within him was apparent even as a small boy and he was certainly cunning enough to pull the wool over Dippet's eyes and those of the other Hogwarts teachers. I don't think his childhood made any difference at all. He regarded Hogwarts as his birthright. As to why he went to work for Borgin, I can only guess he was looking for horcrux candidates and to expand his knowledge of evil curses.

7. What flaws do you think led to his downfall? Could he have avoided it?

Hubris. No, he couldn't have avoided it because he absolutely did not comprehend that the things he was doing were wrong.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old September 10th, 2007, 6:20 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdogs View Post
And...as a thing of pure evil, shouldn't he have left a more lasting impression?
Personally, I feel Voldemort really did leave a lasting impression. After he first fell, people still called him "You know who," even though he was gone for 13 years. During both times he was in power, he killed, destroyed and tortured families. He took over the Ministry and just about everyone was terrified of him. (I'm thinking the only exception to this is Dumbledore and later Harry)

Quote:
Such a person could not have achieved so much power if there weren't something wrong or missing in wizard society -- some systemic weakness for him to exploit. Isn't that weakness still there? And if so, then what was the point of it all?
I think it was a combination of his charm and later on the fact that people were terrified of him that let him achieve so much power. As to a systemic weakness, it hard to say for sure the first time he gained power. We don't know much about the Ministry or Wizarding society then. But we do know everyone was impressed with young Tom Riddle. Like Harry did, he got important imformation (like horcruxes and the whereabouts of the cup, locket and diadem) out of people without creating much of a stir. He was charming and flattering. He worked in the shadows back then, making horcruxes and gaining followers. Then he moved out into the open and terror reigned. I doubt anyone who lived through this time will forget.

It's much easier to see the weaknesses of Wizarding society and the Ministry the second time he was in power. Voldemort came back to power and nobody believed Harry saw it. Voldemort exploited this. He could secretly put plans into action for a year before the Ministry came to their senses. Even after it was proven he returned, the Ministry didn't handle things well. The arrested wrong people and seemed more worried about what Dumbledore and Harry where doing then Voldemort.

After he fell the second time, the Ministry was put back in better order. (even though I think there will always be some weaknesses in society and government.) Things were better after he fell and people would be better equipped to deal with dangerous wizards, as long as they learn from past mistakes.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies