Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Lord Voldemort aka Tom Marvolo Riddle: Character Analysis

Old August 1st, 2007, 6:16 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Lord Voldemort aka Tom Marvolo Riddle: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcrosd View Post
Perhaps Voldemort could never have broken free of his familial tendency towards madness, but I do believe that he is to be pitied in some ways... every bad guy has a side story. I don't think that people are evil just to be evil. [call me naive, but I believe i ]
I don't find any reason to pity a mass murderer and dictator - no matter what their past was like. I have sympathy for Harry, Neville (and I can even spare a bit for Snape), for what their pasts were like, but not Voldemort.

Old August 1st, 2007, 6:51 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Tom Riddle the child may have been pitiable, but the choices of Tom Riddle the child led to Riddle / Voldemort the man, who was utterly unpitiable, IMO.

While reading DH I had a hard time reconciling the brilliance and scary magical power of Voldemort with the myriad of mistakes he ended up making with hiding his horcruxes. In the end, I ended up having to conclude that the process of making the horcruxes clouded his judgement as to what to do with the horcruxes. The arrogance he showed in his behavior towards them can be difficult to reconcile with the brilliance that was Riddle and Voldemort.

In the end, Voldy was somewhat unlucky that Dumbledore and Harry knew him so well, too. They seemed to understand what made him "tick" in a way that the DE's never did, and that ended up leading to his downfall.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 1st, 2007, 7:18 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
While reading DH I had a hard time reconciling the brilliance and scary magical power of Voldemort with the myriad of mistakes he ended up making with hiding his horcruxes. In the end, I ended up having to conclude that the process of making the horcruxes clouded his judgement as to what to do with the horcruxes. The arrogance he showed in his behavior towards them can be difficult to reconcile with the brilliance that was Riddle and Voldemort.
I was also surprised at how juvenile and sluggish his thoughts seemed to be when we saw them in Godric's Hollow and when he realized the cup had been stolen. I agree that the making of the horcruxes had completely damaged him in many ways.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:04 am
First Year

I agree. I think the making of the Horcruxes damaged Voldemort mentally in some way, just as they also damaged his looks physically. By the last book as the Horcruxes are being destroyed he seems to be making more and more mistakes and seems to become more single-minded in his focus (get the elder wand so he can kill Harry.)

Old August 2nd, 2007, 1:30 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I was also surprised at how juvenile and sluggish his thoughts seemed to be when we saw them in Godric's Hollow and when he realized the cup had been stolen. I agree that the making of the horcruxes had completely damaged him in many ways.
Perhaps the "designer" of the horcruxes built in the "insanity" as a defense against making the horcrux? If a wizard could split their soul and remain completely sane about hiding the split soul, they'd do a better job of hiding things than Voldy did. Perhaps heightened arrogance instead of insanity...it would make sense to hide the horcrux in a completely random location, rather than fairly easily guessed places like "Hogwarts" and "My ancestor's home".

The general loss of touch with reality that Voldy experienced in DH did allow Harry to break into his mind to find the final hiding place. The lack of self-control in employing Occlumancy against Harry proved to be a huge mistake on Voldy's part.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old August 7th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Secret Keeper

We all know that he is "number one villain" but I wonder about the reasons behind all his torture and murder. most of the time, it's for information, like how he tortured Ollivander, or out of revenge or fury, like how he killed his father and grandparents, but does he truly enjoy pain like Bellatrix Lestrange does? I'd say he does, but he has matured a lot from the Tom Riddle in the Orphanage.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old August 7th, 2007, 10:55 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywitch View Post
but does he truly enjoy pain like Bellatrix Lestrange does? I'd say he does, but he has matured a lot from the Tom Riddle in the Orphanage.
His murders do seem to include a lot of cold calculation. Charity Burbage was probably a demonstration to impress the death eaters, for example.

What really struck me was the godrics hollow scene where we see the way it occurred sixteen years previous through voldemort's eyes. He didn't seem to be feeling enjoyment as much as the satisfaction of accomplishing these murders. It is very scary. When he considered killing the little trick or treating boy, the reason he refrained was because the murder was unnecessary. If Voldemort was killing for pleasure, he would likely not care about necessity.

Old August 8th, 2007, 3:42 pm
First Year

Voldemort is half blood. He's a hipicrat ( sorry for spelling)

Old August 8th, 2007, 4:33 pm
Third Year

I've been thinking about how very stupid Voldemort seems to be as the series progresses. Maybe his arrogance is such that he thinks he can outthink anyone he encounters. But doesn't the guy ever look around?

He doesn't comprehend mother's love, obviously or its power. But did the man never observe the natural world? Did he really never notice what a mother animal will do to protect her young? Is there no Wizard equivalent to the admonition "Don't get between a mama bear and her cub?" Even if you've never experienced it and are in fact, incapable of emotion, observation alone will convince you there is some force that causes primates to try at risk of death to preserve their offspring.

And the ROR as a hiding place for a cherished Horcrux--you have got to be kidding me. Okay, he did find the Chamber of Secrets and was the only one of his era who did so. But what was there? A basilisk. Now he finds the ROR and it's full of stuff. How could he possibly believe he was the single person who had discovered it? Where did he convince himself the rest of the stuff came from?

I found Voldemort to be a somewhat unsatisfying villain until I read this thread and someone presented the theory that splitting his soul so many times had somehow not only altered his body and soul, but intellect as well. I think that is a good point. Thanks.

Old August 8th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

I believe the splitting of his soul also affected his intelligence.

With the Room of Requirement, he may have asked for an exclusive place to hide the item in which case the room would not show him anything else in there. It could have just shown him a small room or cubby hole to place the item. But, as part of the magic of the RoR, it may have just made the object part of the entire collection that everyone saw when they asked for a general place to hide things instead of an exclusive place to hide them. Well, that's one theory. I'm not sure how much I like the theory, though.

I'm not sure how much Voldemort comprehends a mother's love since I believe he may see love as a weakness. Love makes you protect others and to him protecting others takes away from protecting yourself which should, in his opinion, be top priority. Even if he doesn't see love as a weakness, we at least know he doesn't see it as something powerful enough to consider finding on his own. Because Dumbledore saw love as a power I believe Voldemort did do some research on it, but, again, he may have just seen it as a thing that makes you protect others and not as a power.

Old August 8th, 2007, 6:07 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Fowl_2 View Post

With the Room of Requirement, he may have asked for an exclusive place to hide the item in which case the room would not show him anything else in there. It could have just shown him a small room or cubby hole to place the item. But, as part of the magic of the RoR, it may have just made the object part of the entire collection that everyone saw when they asked for a general place to hide things instead of an exclusive place to hide them. Well, that's one theory. I'm not sure how much I like the theory, though.
Raven and I have developed a theory over in the horcrux thread that relates to your second point here. In fact, it's very similar to what you said .

And, I think that the soul-splitting affected his judgement about how to protect the horcruxes. He was still very intelligent, he just had a strange blind spot regarding the horcruxes.

Old August 8th, 2007, 9:07 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Fowl_2 View Post
It's interesting that you say this. In DH, there's this time where Dumbledore is talking to snape (in the prince's tale) about the connection between voldemort and harry's souls (i think in reference to occlumency), and Snape makes a comment about they're talking about their minds, not souls. And Dumbledore replied that for Harry and Voldemort, it is the same thing. I think you may be right that the mutilation of Voldemort's soul effected his mind.

Old August 9th, 2007, 1:10 am
First Year

Could someone please help me with the half blood fact. Why all the pure blood and power hungery rage. Because he is ashamed of what he is? Please help me with this.

Old August 9th, 2007, 1:19 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by laila View Post
Could someone please help me with the half blood fact. Why all the pure blood and power hungery rage. Because he is ashamed of what he is? Please help me with this.
Tom Sr. ran out on tom's mother simply because she was a witch, and he was ashamed of that fact.

Tom held this against his father, and essentially disowned the man from his own life, taking a new name (Voldemort), and eliminating all association with his existence (declaring himself a champion of pureblood rights when he is in fact half-blood, hatred of Muggles stemming from the actions of one frightened Muggle man who had been coerced into marriage, etc.)

Dec. 31, 1927 - born.
1943-1944 - opens Chamber of Secrets, kills dad and grandparents
1944 - Creates first Horcrux
1971-1981 - Goes public, decimates Wizarding world
1995 - Reborn
Old August 9th, 2007, 2:03 am
First Year

Thanks for answering my question. But it does make some pure bloods stupid
just for the gain of power. Do the pure blood followers know he is half blood?

Old August 9th, 2007, 3:47 am
Third Year

doubtful. He would never allow that to get out. Those who knew in his youth, who later became Death Eaters, probably ended up having that memory removed.

Dec. 31, 1927 - born.
1943-1944 - opens Chamber of Secrets, kills dad and grandparents
1944 - Creates first Horcrux
1971-1981 - Goes public, decimates Wizarding world
1995 - Reborn
Old August 9th, 2007, 3:59 am
Banned

Quote:
Voldemort is half blood. He's a hipicrat ( sorry for spelling)
hypocrite* its ok and i agree but voldemort is disgusted by his father for disowning his mother so he hates all half bloods

Old August 9th, 2007, 4:13 am
Third Year

1) Do you think Voldemort deserves to be voted the "number one villain"? What qualities and/or actions make you think so (either way)?
No. Young Riddle is a very captivating, very intelligent character, but the adult Voldemort is laughable. I blame this on Rowling and her sentimentality. In order to keep people alive, she dumbed her villain down to the point of imbecility. She also attributed her own laziness as a writer to Voldemort's 'arrogance'.

2) What do you think of Voldemort's takeover plan in DH? What do you believe his ultimate objectives were?
We are not told much about his objectives. I am sure that a wizard with tremendous potential and a love of Dark Arts has more on his mind that a single-minded goal of purifying magical blood - especially given his selfishness and antisocial tendencies. Someone who does not care about other people should not care much about their ratio of non-magical blood in their veins, but here you go, another inconsistency in characterization.

Personally, I believe he was someone deeply interested in magic, and willing to experiment with it to the fullest, whether for the sake of power or knowledge. Nothing intrinsically wrong with that.

3) Tom Marvolo Riddle was a brilliant student, considered charming by many, and apparently a model of good behavior (prefect, Head Boy). How did he go so wrong on his life path? How did his childhood environment affect who he became? What was it about his years at Hogwarts that kept him on the path to evil? Why did he take a job as a lowly store clerk when he left Hogwarts?
The only thing I really have against him is his racism, especially coupled with the fact that he himself is not of pure blood. When it comes to him being a callous murderer, I don't think he went wrong anywhere. Nature and nurture played their parts, and he grew up to be desensitized.

4) Professor Trelawney prophesied that the Dark Lord would return more powerful than before. What things do you expect Lord Voldemort to do to show this greater power and increased legroom? Which of his plans can move forward now that Albus Dumbledore is dead?
I don't really see this great power, especially not in someone who can't kill a teenage boy whose skills are no match for his own.

5. How effective are Voldemort's methods for controlling his followers? How do his methods compare to those of other leaders in the Potterverse?
I respect that he did not pretend to give a ... coitus.

6. Voldemort has committed murder, "the supreme act of evil" according to Horace Slughorn. But it seems that splitting one's soul ("an act of violation, it is against nature" according to Slughorn) multiple times is also supremely evil. How has the act of creating Horcruxes damaged and/or aided Voldemort?
Apart from making his features wax-like, I really have no clue. I think if Rowling wanted to preach about the soul and the dangers of splitting it, she should have spent more time on that and less time coming up with idioms that involve Merlin.

7. What flaws do you think led to his downfall? Could he have avoided it?
It's hard to avoid deus ex machina.

Old August 9th, 2007, 3:15 pm
First Year

Thanks for the info about Volemort. I guess I can understand why he hates his past and turns away from it. How would you feel about your father leaving your mom even when mom is with child. His mom was so distaught over him leaving this broke her heart to the point of no return. The only thing she could offer her baby, (remember what she went through growing up) was hoping someone else would be able to give him what she couldn't. Remember this was the 50s and she being too broken down by her own abuse she did not know what to do. She left him in a place that would care for him. maybe this hatred was planted before birth. Maybe because of the use of the potion did have a greater affect on Tom. This all created one angery lost soul who was doomed from the very begining. But then look what Harry went through, no kindness and nothing but hatred. But he was started and had love his first eighteen months of life. What a difference even a small amount of love can make. She set this villian/hero story perfect.

Old August 9th, 2007, 3:25 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Remember this was the 50s and she being too broken down by her own abuse she did not know what to do.
It was actually the 30s.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies