Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

The Death Eaters: Group Character Analysis

Old July 12th, 2007, 11:46 pm
Auror Emeritus

The Death Eaters: Group Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of The Death Eaters. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here:The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

1. What attracted them to Voldemort/Tom Riddle and/or his "cause"?

2. What is their motivation for staying? For leaving?

3. What do any of them have in common? Is there anything they all have in common?

4. Obviously Fenrir wouldn't give a hoot about Purebloods that weren't werewolves, so his motivation to be on the side of the DEs/Voldemort may be different from the others. What motivates the DEs who are still on Voldemort's side of the war?

5. What are the strengths and weaknesses of a group like the Death Eaters?

Old July 27th, 2007, 11:52 pm
Fifth Year

Re: The Death Eaters : Group Character Analysis

It just seems like life for even the Death Eaters was much more pleasant while Voldemort was vanquished. When he came back, he spent the majority of the time torturing and punishing them. I kept wondering why they would want to follow him when he was so cruel to them. Even Malfoy, who used to be his favorite, got broken when he fell from favor. I'm not sure I can see that it would be worth it to follow him and be tortured in exchange for the possibility of getting rid of people who aren't really a bother anyway. It seems to me that if they had never allied themselves with him in the first place, they would be safe as purebloods or sympathizers. Except if they make him mad, they're only targets if they're mutinous.

Old July 28th, 2007, 4:18 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I suspect it was different for different people. A lot seem to believe strongly in the superiority of pureblood wizards, which would have made them sympathetic to the cause. Others, like Fenrir Greyback, seem more like they're cruel thugs who might have liked that aspect of working with Voldemort. Others seem to have gotten involved from association, or because they were raised in that environment. For instance, I doubt Draco, growing up with his parents' influence and then going into Slytherin, where there were other DEs' children, had much of a chance to learn anything other than a superior pureblood mentality, and were probably pressured into joining.

I think some of them stayed because they continued to respect Voldemort and agree with his ideals (Bellatrix is a good example), but I think fear played a huge role. I don't think it was really possible to leave without becoming an enemy of Voldemort, so a lot stayed because of that, I think. As for leaving, those we know of who left seem to have left largely because they no longer agreed with Voldemort and/or Voldemort's actions were putting them at risk. For instance, Narcissa was very concerned about Draco.

3. What do any of them have in common? Is there anything they all have in common?

I think in order to be a Death Eater, you'd have to either be okay with or like the idea of hurting people either for the sake of it or for the sake of your mission.

4. Obviously Fenrir wouldn't give a hoot about Purebloods that weren't werewolves, so his motivation to be on the side of the DEs/Voldemort may be different from the others. What motivates the DEs who are still on Voldemort's side of the war?

I think it largely comes down to people who genuinely agree deeply with Voldemort and didn't want to give up on that ideology, and people, like Fenrir, whom, like I said, are something of thugs. I suspect Fenrir would be on the side of anyone who allowed him to hurt people.

Well, one strength is that their ideology is strong and seems to pass from generation to generation easily. One weakness is that the fear within the group could make people wary of Voldemort.

Old July 28th, 2007, 8:33 pm
Second Year

I agree with DancingMaenid with the fact that there are different type of attractions:
- the Pure Blood ideology (Malfoys, Lestranges...)
- the Dark Arts or the possibility for some to act as they wanted. Voldemort promised to werewolves they could bit almost anyone under his reign.
- the protection of someone more powerful (Wormtail)
- the power, the idea of being such a powerful group
- the fascination for someone talented, gifted (we saw in Slughorn's memory how the other students are fascinating about Riddle)

I guess some, like the Lestranges, are very loyal to Voldemort because he fascinated them, because of the ideology, etc.
But most of them stayed because they are totally scared. When you become a death eater, it is for life. Karkaroff paid the price for his betrayal.

We don't have many examples for leaving death eater. I guess that they tried to quit when they understood that Voldemort has to be stopped, that he is going to far in torture and murder. That is what Snape and Regulus did. Of course, Snape wanted firsted to rescue Lily. But he really quit when she died, when he understood that Voldemort destroyed even the beloved of his death eaters if he could.
I think that's why the Malfoys won't help Voldemort and even why Narcissa betrayed him, saying Harry's dead. They are too afraid to quit the DE, but they betrayed him because he tortured Draco.

Fear, the possibility of getting rid of mudblood, of being the true masters of the wizarding world, to rule.

Old July 29th, 2007, 2:02 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I wonder how many DEs were genuinely devotees of Voldemort by the end? Bella was, obviously, and Fenrir, although he wasn't very far up in the hierarchy. Probably Yaxley. But we don't know who the group with him in the forest were. We know it included Rookwood and McNair because they get mentioned later in the battle, and the Malfoys of course, although they aren't really Voldy-supporters by that time. But the number of DEs doesn't seem all that big in the final battle - but then the good guys had thrown in anyone they could, so maybe it looked small in comparison.

And there must have been DEs who still were black wizards after Voldy's downfall or Harry and Ron wouldn't have had anything to do as Aurors!

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old July 29th, 2007, 4:53 am
First Year

1. Tom was a very persuasive person. As a highly skilled Legilimens (sp?), he was probably able to use someones desires or weaknesses to his advantage and promised many things to many different people to join his cause.

2. Some of the Death Eaters were loyal, Bellatrix being the poster-girl. But the majority stayed just due to fear, like the Malfoys.

Those who left, RAB and Snape for example, truly thought what Voldemort did was wrong and found it with in themselves to defy the Dark Lord. Peter Pettigrew, i think, found Voldemorts actions revolting but was unable to pull himself away -- maybe because of fear or just weak will.

3. The one thing that seems all the Death Eaters have in common is weakness and desire. A strong willed person like Harry or Neville would never have submitted to the Dark Lord's rule. Each of the Death Eaters must have thought they were joining the winning team and would be rewarded greatly for their service.

4. NEXT!

5. One obvious weakness is Groupthink. Everyone's opinions did not matter, only Voldemorts. Ideas were not evaluated and no one would dare speak their mind to the DL for fear of torture or worse. Had they been able to speak freely, we may have had a very different ending.

Last edited by IloveAcidPops; July 29th, 2007 at 4:54 am. Reason: delete repitition
Old August 2nd, 2007, 5:27 pm
First Year

Did anyone else notice the similarites between Voldomort and The Death Eaters and Hitler and the Nazis

Old August 31st, 2007, 2:44 am
Secret Keeper

Re: The Death Eaters: Group Character Analysis

Quote:
At first, the ones in Hogwarts, they either liked his cause, getting rid of muggleborns or were afraid of him, since he seemed to be a bully, though I wouldn't say bully since he was much more. Later on, it would be for his cause and because they were afraid of him or they were in exile.
Quote:
Most of them were just there because they thought he would protect them, a few for the cause and wanting to get rid of people they hated that just happened to be Muggleborns, for leaving, because he had fallen and they couldnt' seek refuge from him.
Quote:
They are all half bloods and pure bloods, though there may be a muggleborn who was able to mingle. They are all afraid of him in some way, and most of them probably hate Muggleborns and Muggles.
Quote:
Fenrir wishes to give werewolves a higher standing in the wizarding world, so I suppose you could say he is working for the "greater good". The other DE's want to get rid of Mudbloods or make sure they aren't killed.
Quote:
The Death Eaters are large in numbers and can communicate easily and have a strong leader. The weaknesses are that when their leader leaves, they leave too.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 9th, 2007, 2:39 am
I want to believe

Many of them probably wanted power, and believed that Voldemort could provide that for them. There were probably some who believed wholeheartedly in Voldemort's ideals, and so they allied themselves with him. And some probably just liked killing/generally causing pain and suffering, like Fenrir Greyback.

Those that stayed likely were either too scared to leave or were generally enjoying themselves/getting what they wanted out of working with Voldemort. Those that left/tried to leave may have had a change of heart or felt they couldn't really do what Voldemort asked of them, like Regulus.

Most of them probably have in common the desire to belong to a powerful group. And most of them are purebloods, though there are some half-bloods. Also, I'm guessing most of them believe in pureblood supremacy.

Fear, most likely in many cases. For others I expect they still believed in Voldemort and were willing to stand by him out of principle and out of the power he may have given them.

Strengths - fear is a powerful motivator, strong/advanced (dark) magic, large numbers
Weaknesses - no true loyalty to each other or to their leader (in most cases), no power to love, and as IloveAcidPops said, a mentality where Voldemort is like a dictator who doesn't let anyone else's opinions/ideas be heard.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:58 am
Beauxbatons Champion

Anyone who believed the pure blood ideology would have been attracted to Voldemort. Also, those who wanted power and liked to cause pain and fear to those they thought weren't worthy to be wizards (a.k.a Muggle-borns)

One motivation for staying is that if you leave you are certain to die. Becoming a Death Eater is a life-long commitment which by no means can you back out of.

A motivation for leaving would be getting in too deep and regretting what you have done. Some people think they can handle killing and torturing people, but find out too late that they can't.

The pure blood ideology is the main thing that brings them all together, I think.

Fear and pain. They love it and revel in it. Senseless killings and torturing Muggles and Muggle-borns - it's all part of the fun.

Weaknesses - their fear of Voldemort. Thy sometimes fear of doing something in case it is wrong and Voldemort punishes them. We see this in DH when Harry and co are in Malfoy Manor. If Voldemort hadn't created such fear amoung them then they would have contacted him sooner, and Harry would have probably died.

Also, sometimes they fail to work well as a team. They all want glory from Voldemort so each and every one of them pursue things selfishly.
Strengths - Their beliefs and ideas are strong. Also, they never seem to give up, ever.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old September 11th, 2007, 5:36 pm
Second Year

i think others have made some good points on this thread. i'll try to add details that may be important.

riddle was charming, good-looking, with a forceful personality, tremendous willpower, and extraordinary wizarding skill. he was tops in everything.

as for his "cause", there were apparently magical people who thought of power over everybody else as their birthright. to them a "natural" order of things would start with purebloods on top. how this idea came about the series doesn't make clear - i guess we have to go back to the times before the split between the magical and muggle worlds.

why would the "ideological" death eaters (like snape in the beginning and the malfoys until almost the end) follow riddle, a half blood? partly because of what i mentioned above. also he looked like a winner, and everybody loves them, don't they? no matter riddle's blood status, he looked like the person who could bring about pureblood supremacy.

ofcourse, riddle had other plans, as was made clear - he became a cult, with all the pathologies associated with such leaders and their followers. this was going to be no democracy, or even aristocracy. he was the heir of slytherin, the purest of the pure. he was going to live, and rule (alone) forever.

Old September 13th, 2007, 7:10 pm
Animaga terpsichore

Out of fear (Pettigrew) or the wanted to feel more powerful.
Most likely if you leave, you will eventually get killed for betraying Voldemort. For them leaving, it would regretting something that they have done, like killing or toturing someone.
The whole "Purebloods are better then anyone else" thing.
The main death eaters (Bellatrix and Lucius) like causing others pain.
Strengths: They know very powerful spells that others don't and they know how to use them
Weakness: They fear Voldemort.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old September 15th, 2007, 9:49 am
Fifth Year

What attracted them to him?
Who he was, who he was related to! What they could learn from him. and what they could get away with!
Why stay? Well, as stated in the books, one doesn't just leave....either you are in, or dead!
What do they have in common? Doing what they enjoy, causing pain, death, fear to others.
Strengths? With LV at their head, they cannot be defeated....without him.....'Cut off the head........'

Old February 21st, 2008, 4:01 pm
Lycanthrope

I wonder about that...cut off at the head, you would think that another DE might try to take over after Voldemort's death. Perhaps feeling like they could do a better job. But after the first war, that didn't happen, so it is likely they needed him. Still, hard to believe that there were no minions with an equivalent desire to rule...

Old February 21st, 2008, 4:45 pm
Fifth Year

I always got the sense a lot of the DE (like Lucius) were glad to be rid of him and those who weren't (like Barty or the Lestranges) were in jail and couldn't do much.

Old February 24th, 2008, 7:35 am
Second Year

Power. Look at the group of them, who it consists of. All these people wanted were an easy way into influence. Peter was attracted to power. He followed James and Sirius, the top dogs of the school from what we get to see. After school, times changed. They weren't the most powerful anymore. He was given the option and he accepted. Granted, there was the whole threat part of the offer, but he was a Gryffindor. Could he be that fearful. Lucius has a lot of money. He throws it around to get sway. He wants to be in control. If he sides with a person who can give him that type of power, why wouldn't he?

Fear. If they leave they die. Also, I think a lot of the ones who did stay, didn't stay out of fear. They wanted to be there.

They all need to be a part of something, a part of a bigger group. Many of them like power, control. Then there's the whole prejudice thing.

From what we saw of Fenrir, he likes to bite people. This gives him a cause. The DEs now either want what they wanted in the beginning or they want to stay alive. Voldemort wasn't happy with them that they didn't look for him and he'd be angry if they didn't stay.

Old March 18th, 2008, 12:50 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdi86 View Post
I always got the sense a lot of the DE (like Lucius) were glad to be rid of him and those who weren't (like Barty or the Lestranges) were in jail and couldn't do much.
that is probably true. I wonder though if once a number of them got out of jail if they would have ideas about reforming the death eaters as a group. Perhaps pick a new leader and even new goals. Still elitist in nature, but perhaps without the bloodshed and torture - rather just promoting the dark arts or something. Would be interesting.

Old March 20th, 2008, 7:07 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I don’t think there is anything worth in following him. The problem is you don’t find that out until you actually become a Death Eater and by that time you also find out that it’s better to follow him than to try to leave.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old March 28th, 2008, 5:04 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

IMO there are many different types / levels of DE from the inner circle, comprising primarily of true believers (Barty Crouch Jr, Bellatrix etc) through to the late comers who wanted the power DE status could bring them and wanted to be ‘one the winning side’(such as Wormtail).

There will always be some people who will gravitate towards power – the ones I feel are more interesting are the inner circle. To examine why they formed an allegiance with/to Lord Voldemort I think one needs to look at both wizard society and Lord Voldemort himself.

In the early books we / Harry are led to believe that the WW is a good, fair & just place. However things such as SPEW & Dumbledore’s speech about the golden statue in the MoM being a lie (TOotP) show us clearly that it is no such place. It is a world divided in to magical & non-magical, pure-blood & not, Wizard & magical creature. For this world to exist there must be people wiling to act as oppressors (Lucius Malfoy for example). This has led me to ponder the idea that those who were in the inner circle of the DE may well have been closely tied even if LV had never existed.

Tom Riddle was a boy who did not believe in love, he cared for no-one and thus IMO could not freely accept care from others (this does not mean he would not us those who tried to care for him). He was a man who looked at the world around him and saw a bad place that he could use. I do not believe he saw other people as people in their own right but as objects the revolved around him.

I’m not sure that he believed in the ethos of the DE particularly, look at how quickly his ‘memory’ abandoned the killing of muggles. What I do believe is that LV believed in the cult of LV. If this is a correct assessment then it is probable / possible that the DE ideology was constructed to draw out the people most useful and pliable to LV; namely those with power, contacts, ruthlessness and the desire to ‘do what it takes’. We know he started to collect these people when they, & he, were at school. Had it not started then would he still have resent to power, or would it just have made it harder?

Old March 29th, 2008, 2:38 pm
Lycanthrope

You make some very good points. I would agree that ideas like blood purism and a quest for power would likely tend to bring many of the DEs together with or without Voldemort to lead them. However, I don't know if they would go as far as killing muggles and muggle borns to gain supremacy. But I could see them forming groups nonetheless.