Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Gilderoy Lockhart: Character Analysis

Old February 25th, 2010, 8:10 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Re: Gilderoy Lockhart: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian85033 View Post
Though maybe Dumbledore could have taught DADA himself? He used to teach Transfiguration, after all.
Teaching DADA would have put Dumbledore at unnecessary risk. The position was literally cursed by Voldemort when Dumbledore refused to hire him for DADA. Nobody in that position lasts longer than a year.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2010, 8:18 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

You may be interested in discussing that in the DADA position curse thread.

Let's get back to Lockhart, now, shall we?

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old February 26th, 2010, 8:01 pm
Third Year

Too true. XD

I'm currently re reading Order of the Phoenix, and it made me wonder, could Lockhart have been writing autographs and all that even as a kid? Like, he lost his memory, but he still had a liking for writing autographs. Of course, now it's just because of his good looks his fans write to him.

Old June 14th, 2010, 12:22 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Quote:
I'm currently re reading Order of the Phoenix, and it made me wonder, could Lockhart have been writing autographs and all that even as a kid?
It's a curious thought. It's possible Lockhart had a very early dream or desire to gain fame, and could have pretended to sign autographs in the same innocent and playful way people use a hairbrush (sometimes singing in front of the mirror) and pretending to be a pop star. Somewhere along the line he developed a liking for being center of attention, I think, and spinning a good yarn, whether embellished tales of his own and/or possibly using other people's experiences. When he grew a talent for memory charms, he started stealing sections of other people's lives and achievements. His scruples led him down the wrong path and he became a fraud and superficial, instead of working hard to develop his own skills, he thieved from others (no recognition to those people). Imo.

Quote:
Of course, now it's just because of his good looks his fans write to him.
His fans would still be aware of and admire all the great achievements he claimed to have done. They probably felt sorry for him as well. Imo.

Last edited by Annielogic; June 14th, 2010 at 4:53 pm. Reason: typo
Old June 14th, 2010, 1:52 pm
Second Year

1. Why did Lockhart apply for the DaDA job in the first place?
Bragging rights, I guess. I bet he would LOVE to beat the jinx and stay for another year, just to prove he can (though we know that his motives are futile). Also, he probably thought that he'll be hero worshipped in Hogwarts.

2. Will Lockhart ever recover?
We have seen that Memory Charms are fairly recoverable, so in time, yeah.

3. Is Lockhart going to make an appearance in DH?
If I didn't know already that the answer is no, I would have doubted the idea all the same. It is highly unlikely that there will be a St. Mungo's scene, since DH is like the quest for Horcruxes and the search for answers.

4. Basically all of the other teachers treated Lockhart with disdain because they knew that he was a fraud. Being incompetent and narcissistic as he was, Lockhart was a threat to the students. Why did Dumbledore employ Lockhart?
He was probably the only man who applied.

5. Why was Hermione so blinded by Lockhart's appearance? After all, he did very little to fortify his reputation.
Hermione may be smart, but she isn't immune to the teenage hormones. She probably liked him the same reason as some people like Justin Bieber - because she thinks he's cute.

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Book! And cleverness! There are more important things, like friendship and bravery.

Old July 12th, 2010, 3:13 pm
First Year

I would think it was several reasons to why he applied. Firstly, I think that after lying about what he'd done for such a long period of time, and with everyone believing in him, he eventually started believing that he actually had enough skills to teach. Also, it would be a new thing to add to the list of things he'd done, and last, I think his biggest motive was to beat the jinx and stay for more than a year.

No. Not entirely, anyways. When the trio met him nearly three years later there were no signs of recovery.

Considering I already know the answer, no - but if I'd answered this before I read DH, I would doubt it.

4. Basically all of the other teachers treated Lockhart with disdain because they knew that he was a fraud. Being incompetent and narcissistic as he was, Lockhart was a threat to the students. Why did Dumbledore employ Lockhart?
I think I've read this somewhere, either in the books or someplace else, but he was the only one who applied for the job. Dubmledore didn't have much of a choice.

5. Why was Hermione so blinded by Lockhart's appearance? After all, he did very little to fortify his reputation.
Well, she didn't know he was a fraud, so it's natrual for her to be impressed with everything he's done, he appears to be a very talented wizard. Also, she is a girl, and she is a teenager, and Lockhart has good looks.

Old September 5th, 2010, 2:07 pm
Second Year

Why did Lockhart apply for the DaDA job in the first place?

To show off: I think he would have liked the idea of standing in front of a group of students, demonstrating his so-called skills. Also, I think he wanted to increase his status in the Wizarding World.

Will Lockhart ever recover?

Hopefully not. Even if he did, he'd be disgraced in the Wizarding World for lying about his adventures and attempting to wipe Harry and Ron's memories.

Also, didn't JK say he wouldn't? I can't remember

Basically all of the other teachers treated Lockhart with disdain because they knew that he was a fraud. Being incompetent and narcissistic as he was, Lockhart was a threat to the students. Why did Dumbledore employ Lockhart?

I think until he attempted to wipe Harry and Ron's memories, he was seemed harmless and so Dumbledore hired him because there was no one else.

Why was Hermione so blinded by Lockhart's appearance? After all, he did very little to fortify his reputation.

Hermione was only 12 at the time and she had a schoolgirl crush. It happens to everyone and Hermione may be clever but she's not flawless.

"if you attempt to - er - 'bring me in by force', I will have to hurt you" - Albus Dumbledore.

"We could have all been killed - or worse, expelled." - Hermione Granger.

"Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have." - Hermione Granger

"Every child in our world will know his name!" - Minerva McGonagall

Proud RAVENCLAW.
Old September 5th, 2010, 9:44 pm
Second Year

I don't remember what the book said (have to re-read that one), but I think his narcissism was part of it. He certainly loved being the center of attention, so having that job would guarantee a lot more of the spotlight.

Hm. Depends on how well they take care of him. Didn't seem like he had improved much in OotP. Maybe he'll remain a bit loopy for the rest of his life.

He did not. I would have enjoyed a bit of his silliness in the midst of all that chaos.

Maybe because he could counter the serious nature of the Dark Arts with his personality.

JKR describes him as a charming fellow, so until he started causing problems, he was probably rather sweet despite his self-centeredness.

Old September 8th, 2010, 3:26 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDobster View Post
JKR describes him as a charming fellow, so until he started causing problems, he was probably rather sweet despite his self-centeredness.
LOLHe is. He was acting just like a little kid.XDI can see why his healer treated him like a precocious two year old. And the peacock quill he signed Hermione's permission slip with. And the crowd in Flourish and Blotts, when he presents Harry, who only wanted to buy his autobiography, Magical Me, which he presented to him free of charge(applause), and little did he know that he would be getting the real Lockhart, or Magical Me.

Old September 13th, 2010, 9:02 pm
Fourth Year

1. Why did Lockhart apply for the DADA job in the first place?
I think he might have been pressured into it a little bit - I mean, he's supposed to be this really amazing guy who's great at Defence and getting out of tight spots all the time so I reckon at one point someone would have asked why he didn't teach DADA. And of course he would go along with the façade just so he could keep his reputation and, as others have said, he liked being in the spotlight and probably didn't take the curse too seriously or wanted to show that he could beat it.

I don't know, maybe. If he was going to then it would take years and he might be an old man by the time he gets his full memory back because they didn't seem to have got that far in OotP.

No, he didn't. But it might have made quite a little amusing scene if he had managed to escape from St. Mungos and found his way to the Battle. Although, if that had happened he probably would have died, and we had enough deaths as it was.

I don't know whether they knew he was a fraud to begin with, but I'm sure after nearly a year of teaching with him, hearing about his lessons from the students, talking to him privately and Harry's 'incident' after the Quidditch match it probably wasn't hard to figure out that he hadn't done all the things he said he had. I'm sure Dumbledore was willing to give him a chance and he most likely was the only applicant so Dumbledore had no choice.

Hermione was 12/13 and Lockheart was described as good looking - I don't think it's hard to do the maths Plus, he was claiming to have done all of these amazing and brave things which I'm sure attracts a lot of young girls.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:07 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielogic
It's possible Lockhart had a very early dream or desire to gain fame, and could have pretended to sign autographs in the same innocent and playful way people use a hairbrush (sometimes singing in front of the mirror) and pretending to be a pop star.
. I agree with you about Lockhart having always dreamt about being famous. Which would actually explain many things about his older self. How he would've done anything to become famous; taking credit of things which he'd never done, is a good example.
Also, I sometimes felt that he was somewhat jealous of Harry. This could be because -as you suggested- he always dreamt about being famous. And here, he finds one among his students who was twice as famous as he is, and probably not even half his age. That's why, he insisted on Collin taking the picture of the two of them. Not because he wants Harry to be humbel, but because he doesn't want Harry to get more attention.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old November 29th, 2010, 5:05 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Has JK Rowling ever said anything about which house Lockhart was in? I actually think he might've been a Gryffindor - he certainly embodies the worst qualities of that house. Foolhardy, overconfident with a pathological need for attention. There was no way a Slytherin!Lockhart would've let those Cornish pixies out of that cage unless he was 100% certain he could handle them himself.

Failing that, he could've been a Ravenclaw. It's possible he started out studious and 'went bad'.

Old November 29th, 2010, 5:13 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Has JK Rowling ever said anything about which house Lockhart was in?.
No, i dont think so. If so, I think he were in Gryffindor or Ravenclaw.

Last edited by Daniel_Potter; November 29th, 2010 at 6:44 pm.
Old November 29th, 2010, 6:38 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Has JK Rowling ever said anything about which house Lockhart was in? I actually think he might've been a Gryffindor - he certainly embodies the worst qualities of that house. Foolhardy, overconfident with a pathological need for attention. There was no way a Slytherin!Lockhart would've let those Cornish pixies out of that cage unless he was 100% certain he could handle them himself.

Failing that, he could've been a Ravenclaw. It's possible he started out studious and 'went bad'.
I can't see him as a Ravenclaw. He doesn't seem to be particularly intelligent and he certainly doesn't seem to value intelligence. I can't imagine a Ravenclaw making such a mockery of a subject like DADA. His classes were never about learning, they were only about himself.

I can see him as either a Gryffindor or a Slytherin.

Slytherins don't have to be intelligent, they just have to be crafty enough and ambitious. I think it could be argued that Lockhart had both of those qualities.

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by halfbreedlover; November 29th, 2010 at 6:57 pm.
Old November 29th, 2010, 7:36 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbreedlover View Post
I can't see him as a Ravenclaw. He doesn't seem to be particularly intelligent and he certainly doesn't seem to value intelligence. I can't imagine a Ravenclaw making such a mockery of a subject like DADA. His classes were never about learning, they were only about himself.

I can see him as either a Gryffindor or a Slytherin.

Slytherins don't have to be intelligent, they just have to be crafty enough and ambitious. I think it could be argued that Lockhart had both of those qualities.
Yet we have Ravenclaws like Roger Davies, who is only ever portrayed as a foppish pretty boy. Really, not all Ravenclaws are bookworms. Look at Zacharias Smith. The guy doesn't have a loyal bone in his body. Lockhart could have been the Pettigrew of Ravenclaw.

Proud Member of Gryffindor
The Marauders: The Beginning of the End
Feedback

"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others."
--Aristotle
Old November 29th, 2010, 8:09 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonZephyr View Post
Yet we have Ravenclaws like Roger Davies, who is only ever portrayed as a foppish pretty boy. Really, not all Ravenclaws are bookworms. Look at Zacharias Smith. The guy doesn't have a loyal bone in his body. Lockhart could have been the Pettigrew of Ravenclaw.
If the houses are completely arbitrary then why are we even talking about them?

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington
Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:11 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:

I've long thought of Lockhart as a Gryffindor. I imagine that the four "bad news" DADA teachers Harry had were from the four different Houses, based on what they seemed to value. (Quirrell-Ravenclaw; Lockhart -Gryffindor; Crouch Jr -Hufflepuff; Umbridge-Slytherin). Lockhart wasn't particularly brave, but perhaps he had more courage as a child? Or perhaps he valued courage more than the other House traits? He certainly wanted to be seen as brave, rather than be associated with any of the other House traits. On the other hand, perhaps it took a certain type of courage to track down the powerful witches and wizards who had actually done these deeds, and put memory charms on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonZephyr View Post
That was Harry and co.'s perception of Davies, he could have been intelligent , there are more kinds of intelligence than just booksmarts. Plus, Seamus (I think) considered Cedric "only a pretty boy", but he was deemed the Hogwarts student most worthy to participate in the Triwizard Tournament.

Intelligence isn't what Lockhart values, or even tries to impersonate. He pretends to be a hero, not an intellectual. That would suggest that he was a Gryffindor, not a Ravenclaw, if he attended Hogwarts.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; December 3rd, 2010 at 12:14 am.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 1:34 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Well, that makes sense. I wondered what house he would be in. I assumed that the teachers had gone to Hogwarts.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:41 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I've long thought of Lockhart as a Gryffindor. I imagine that the four "bad news" DADA teachers Harry had were from the four different Houses, based on what they seemed to value. (Quirrell-Ravenclaw; Lockhart -Gryffindor; Crouch Jr -Hufflepuff; Umbridge-Slytherin). Lockhart wasn't particularly brave, but perhaps he had more courage as a child? Or perhaps he valued courage more than the other House traits? He certainly wanted to be seen as brave, rather than be associated with any of the other House traits. On the other hand, perhaps it took a certain type of courage to track down the powerful witches and wizards who had actually done these deeds, and put memory charms on them.
It's funny you call Umbridge a Slytherin, because I've never pictured her as a Slyth at all. I know she allies herself with them but I've always thought she was a Ravenclaw gone bad (as was Augustus Rookwood in my mind) rather than a Slyth.

Old December 4th, 2010, 1:51 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
It's funny you call Umbridge a Slytherin, because I've never pictured her as a Slyth at all. I know she allies herself with them but I've always thought she was a Ravenclaw gone bad (as was Augustus Rookwood in my mind) rather than a Slyth.
Will reply in the Umbridge thread.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies