Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Gilderoy Lockhart: Character Analysis

Old April 1st, 2008, 9:18 pm
Third Year

Re: Gilderoy Lockhart: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post

As to why JKR likely did such a thing, well I personally believe that it was because he was a great means of adding humor to the story. Lots of things were done in humor that wasn't so grand from the point of view of the characters in the story (making their lives a bit harder or annoying).
I think that she did it for humour as well. Lockhart for me was a very funny character, he was annoying too but in a funny way.

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2008, 9:20 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

The problem with Lockhart was that he made himself look silly and with it the entire profession of teachers. His only goal as teacher was to promote himself and add to the glorification of himself.

I do think that Dumbledore shouldn't have let Lockhart teach, he was very wrong there. But the other teachers knew Lockhart for the fraud he was, they wanted him to expose himself. I think when they urged him to rescue Ginny, they made a mistake, but they probably believed that Dumbledore would step in.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old April 3rd, 2008, 5:38 am
Banned

I really did not like Lockhart as I do with, well with people like him. He was funny at times in the movie, but I always had a problem with him. He did fit J. K. Rowling's description perfectly to me though.

Old May 6th, 2008, 7:14 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
I really did not like Lockhart as I do with, well with people like him. He was funny at times in the movie, but I always had a problem with him. He did fit J. K. Rowling's description perfectly to me though.
That was a fun role for Kenneth Branagh, he obviously enjoyed hamming it up to the max, even sometimes made Lockhart almost likeable, in an amusing sort of way.

There may have been something amusing in the book character of Lockhart, but not "Hahaha" amusing. The man's a fraud, an unscrupulous impostor, a braggart and a coward. Using his good looks to further his ends. But at least, his ends, though far from ethical, were not as evil as Tom Riddle's, who did the same thing, used his looks and charm.

Lockhart was hoisted by his own petard, as Dumbledore said, and it was very fitting. I'm certain he won't recover from his malady (I saw that question in another thread.) Just serves him right.

Old May 6th, 2008, 8:13 am
Lycanthrope

The thing about Lockheart for me was that he was so over-the-top, he had me laughing everytime he appeared on page. I really enjoyed reading about his charcter, I think it added a lot to the book. I had always imagined him recovering from his illness and everyone would imagine he'd finally see the light due to all that had happened to him - but he'd still be right over-the-top. I guess his injection of the humor in the books just carried on in my thoughts of his later outcome.

Old May 14th, 2008, 5:53 pm
First Year

I totaly enjoyed Lockheart, he was such a Narcisist, it was all, me me me, with him, he added a lot of colour to the story, even when he lost his memory, his vanity prevaled to keep everyone amused.

Old May 14th, 2008, 5:58 pm
Third Year

Lockhart always manages to make me laugh, no matter how many times I read it and watch the film. He is just so ridiculous. The way he thinks everyone adores him and he doesn't realise that most people know he is a fraud. Like all the teachers. He is so wrapped up in himself, he must have a bit of a dark side to put memory charms on people and take credit for there work and bravery,and not care. All driven by him wanting to be famous and adored.
He is just very funny.

Old August 11th, 2009, 9:06 pm
Third Year

I've always thought he had some kind of superiority complex. I mean, he was like, 'Harry, when I was your age I was more of a nobody,' or something. He thought everyone wanted to be just like him.

Old August 16th, 2009, 7:09 am
Fourth Year

1. Why did Lockhart apply for the DaDA job in the first place? I honestly don't know. I think once again, Voldemort picked an individual who was weak, didn't have a backbone and was too afraid to say "no". Plus, he knew he was safe to be as flamboyant at Hogwarts as he wanted to be. He knew he could impress everyone with his so-called knowledge and impress the ladies with a flick of his wrist. Even if people were onto him, or thought he was barking mad, he had 20 others who believed his treachery.

2. Will Lockhart ever recover? Well, even after reading D.H., I don't think there was anything to recover in the first place. He was a fraud and used other people's work to gain fame.

3. Is Lockhart going to make an appearance in DH? That would have been so interesting and hilarious to read.

4. Basically all of the other teachers treated Lockhart with disdain because they knew that he was a fraud. Being incompetent and narcissistic as he was, Lockhart was a threat to the students. Why did Dumbledore employ Lockhart?
Well, Albus did everything for a reason, and that was usually to teach Harry or the other Students and Staff a lesson. So I think he hired Lockhart in part to Teach Harry that if you lie about something, take credit for something you didn't do, you'll eventually get caught and possibly be in a lot of trouble. I don't know, maybe in some way, Albus was impressed by Lockhart's celebrity and maybe he really believed he was genuine. You know, some people can really turn on the charm and sweetness and make you believe they're something they're not.

5. Why was Hermione so blinded by Lockhart's appearance? After all, he did very little to fortify his reputation.
Well, look at the way young Girls are blinded by some Musicians' and other Celebrities' appearances. They believe these men/boys are perfect, can't do anything wrong. Even if they are caught committing a crime, they usually come up with some sort of excuse for them. She, like many 12 year-olds believed that because he was "good looking" that some how equated he walked on water, etc.

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!

Last edited by Leslie33; December 8th, 2010 at 2:25 am.
Old August 16th, 2009, 7:20 am
First Year

1. Why did Lockhart apply for the DaDA job in the first place?

He thought'd it'd be easy... after all, his ego was the size of France.

2. Will Lockhart ever recover?

Doubtful.

3. Is Lockhart going to make an appearance in DH?

He didn't.

4. Basically all of the other teachers treated Lockhart with disdain because they knew that he was a fraud. Being incompetent and narcissistic as he was, Lockhart was a threat to the students. Why did Dumbledore employ Lockhart?

I don't understand half the things that Dumbledore does... maybe to give the students an example of what a bad teacher is like?

5. Why was Hermione so blinded by Lockhart's appearance? After all, he did very little to fortify his reputation.

She wasn't. She was trying to get Ron jealous. I know that sounds like a stupid shipper thing to say, but I honestly think that's why she (acted) like she fancied him.

Old August 16th, 2009, 10:35 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie33 View Post
1. Why did Lockhart apply for the DaDA job in the first place?[color=DarkOrchid] I honestly don't know. I think once again, Voldemort picked an individual who was weak, didn't have a backbone and was too afraid to say "no".
I don't understand where Voldemort comes into this???

My Fanfic - The Silver Thread - (WIP) updated 03/07/09

Sig by the most professional, clever & witty Boushh
(Original photo-manipulation of AR by helin)
Old August 16th, 2009, 1:58 pm
Second Year

Lockhart would have been bored by his job of writing autobiographies...He would have wanted to get in the news by applying bravely for an unstable job.

I don't think so.if it had not been cured in 5 years by skilled Healers I don't think it would.

No he won't.

DD would have had some interior complicated reason for it.May be it was just to expose that he was a fraud before other teachers and students,

She was only 12 that time and she is a sort of book worm-she believed whatever written in the school books(his books)

"I like a quiet life, you know me."
Old August 16th, 2009, 3:10 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Lockhart revelled in being the centre of attention and being a teacher does put you centre stage. Also, I think he thought he would be adored by the female Hogwart students and admired by the male students. Well, he got it half right with the female students, including Hermione.

No, I doubt it as he was a long term resident on the Janus Thicky Ward for Permanent Spell Damage.

I imagine he drove all the other teachers up the wall with incessant telling of his tall tales in the Staff Room.
As for why Dumbledore hired him, well according to Hagrid, ''He was the on'y man for the job. An' I mean the on'y one.'

5. Why was Hermione so blinded by Lockhart's appearance? After all, he did very little to fortify his reputation.[/quote]

Well, she was only 13 and he was good looking and an author, and I think Hermione would admire that. Hermione put her faith completely in books and I think it took her a while to realise that you can't believe all you read.

Last edited by TreacleTartlet; August 16th, 2009 at 3:18 pm.
Old August 16th, 2009, 7:46 pm
Third Year

He thought he could fake his way through the year, like he had with everything else in his life. I'm sure he also wanted to introduce a whole new generation to the wonder that is Gilderoy Lockhart.

No. Jo said as much.

I'm really going out on a limb here, but I'm gonna say 'no'

My guess is because nobody else wanted the job. If you recall, after this the only people who get a DADA job are members of the Order (past or present) and ministry-appointed people. I'm sure once Dumbledore saw what a fraud he was, he wasn't too happy about his choice. And I'm sure it took Dumbledore no more than 3 words out of Lockhart's mouth to deduce what a fraud he was.

See "Cruise, Tom"...or "Spears, Brittney". People - both boys and girls alike - are often willing to overlook someone's obvious flaws if that person is good looking enough, or famous enough. But in the end, the flaws often times become too much to overlook. We see this happen over the course of the book with Hermione.

Old August 17th, 2009, 12:10 am
First Year

I noticed that Lockhart is sort of the antithesis of Harry. Lockhart's selfish, talentless, cowardly, attention seeking, and arrogant, the opposite of everything Harry is.

Old September 29th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Suteki da ne

Because it tied in with the release of his autobiography. Everyone needs to do publicity, and I think that he'd planned to announce that he'd taken the job of Defense teacher that day he was in Flourish and Blotts anyway, regardless of whether Harry was there.

I'm not sure. It was a pretty powerful backfire that he got in his face, and although he's showing definite improvement, if he does recover, it's going to take a while still

N/A

Like Hagrid said, he was the only man for the job. If he was the only one to apply then the job would have to go to him, and it's not like Divination, Dumbledore couldn't really have decided to discontinue it as a subject.

Well, for one, her age. She was almost 13, she'd read all of his books and had no reason to disbelieve what he'd written. It was like a non-magical teenager having a crush on an actor or a pop star in a magazine, then getting them as a maths teacher or something...

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old November 18th, 2009, 9:03 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageThyme View Post
Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Gilderoy Lockhart. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here:Gilderoy Lockhart: Character Analysis

1: I think he applied for the job to sell his books. There were hundreds of students at Hogwarts. He gets EVERY student in the school to buy EVERY book he has published (with the exception of Magical Me). That is a lot of books sold. His Hogwarts salary wouldn't matter after he gets the money for the books.

2: Perhaps, he certainly was getting better in OotP.

3: Obviously he didn't.

4: I can't see why he would, Dumbledore did more to halt DaDa education than the ministry did.

5: I suppose Hermione let the hormones win, and Lockhart did have an impressive achievements list, thatwould have impressed her.

Old November 19th, 2009, 11:27 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
1: I think he applied for the job to sell his books. There were hundreds of students at Hogwarts. He gets EVERY student in the school to buy EVERY book he has published (with the exception of Magical Me). That is a lot of books sold. His Hogwarts salary wouldn't matter after he gets the money for the books.
I quite agree with this, there is much to it. Also, I believe he thought he will only be teaching theory, after all, how hard can explaining theory be?

I think Jo said something to the contrary. Hopefully he will not anytime soon...

Him being the only one who applied I guess.

Because she was very young, and after all, she probably thought that if Lockhart got the job he must have known something. She had no reason to doubt his books before she found out more about him...

*In: Snape's Happy Ending, fanfic by CathyWeasley

SNAPE'S MAN THROUGH AND THROUGH
Old November 19th, 2009, 6:34 pm
Second Year

I think that if he recovers, he has a nice cell in Azkaban waiting for him. He was funny and all, but what he did was hideous.

Old November 20th, 2009, 10:49 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamedusa View Post
I think that if he recovers, he has a nice cell in Azkaban waiting for him. He was funny and all, but what he did was hideous.

While the chances of him being relativley sane are small, I'd like to see him put to justice. Come on, he modified the memories of several great witches and wizards, pretending to have accomplished their good deeds. Even worse, he attempted to do the same to two young boys! I don't think he was funny, but hideous beyond doubt.

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies