Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Gilderoy Lockhart: Character Analysis

Old July 12th, 2007, 11:43 pm
Auror Emeritus

Gilderoy Lockhart: Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Gilderoy Lockhart. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here:Gilderoy Lockhart: Character Analysis

1. Why did Lockhart apply for the DaDA job in the first place?

2. Will Lockhart ever recover?

3. Is Lockhart going to make an appearance in DH?

4. Basically all of the other teachers treated Lockhart with disdain because they knew that he was a fraud. Being incompetent and narcissistic as he was, Lockhart was a threat to the students. Why did Dumbledore employ Lockhart?

5. Why was Hermione so blinded by Lockhart's appearance? After all, he did very little to fortify his reputation.

Old September 15th, 2007, 6:50 am
Lycanthrope

Re: Gilderoy Lockhart: Character Analysis

1. Why did Lockhart apply for the DaDA job in the first place? I think he was a pretty big show off and the students provided a ready made audience for him.

Yes.

He didn't.

4. Basically all of the other teachers treated Lockhart with disdain because they knew that he was a fraud. Being incompetent and narcissistic as he was, Lockhart was a threat to the students. Why did Dumbledore employ Lockhart?

He couldn't find anyone else. DD felt the kids should be introduced to all sorts of people - that it would help build their characters in ways. But I think DD made a few poor choices along the way. Lockheart appears to be one of them.

5. Why was Hermione so blinded by Lockhart's appearance? After all, he did very little to fortify his reputation.

He was hot - you can't blame a teenager for crushing on a hot professor! It is normal. But even she came to see him for what he was eventually.

Old September 15th, 2007, 9:12 am
Fifth Year

1. Why apply for 'the job'....well, he knew he was the only wizard for the job. I mean, look at what he'd done!
5. Why were 'the ladies' goo goo about him...his good looks, charm, an adventurer....you saw the girls in his class.....they just couldn't get enough of him!
Wonder how the Healers see him at St. Mungo's?

Old September 15th, 2007, 11:35 am
Beauxbatons Champion

Maybe by this time he had convinced himself that he could actually do all those things...

I dont think so. I think the real question is: Who would want Lockhart to recover?

I really wish he had. I can just imagine him now, walking through the Battle of Hogwarts, having escaped from St Mungo's, asking people if they wanted his signature.

Dumbledore always had a strange sense of humour...

I don't think he could find anyone else, so there was Lockhart ready for the job. He had no choice really.

He's Lockhart. Everyone loved him. Come on, she was 12, the first thing she's going to notice is his looks.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old September 15th, 2007, 6:55 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Next to Lockhart's "good looks" he had also an impressive list with achievements, which must have drawn Hermione's admiration. She devoured his works, I can't believe she only did that because Lockhart looked good. She must have been wowed by his ability to write so many "believable books".

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:35 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post

Next to Lockhart's "good looks" he had also an impressive list with achievements, which must have drawn Hermione's admiration. She devoured his works, I can't believe she only did that because Lockhart looked good. She must have been wowed by his ability to write so many "believable books".
Good point. She did act a bit love struck, but I agree, his impressive literary achievements would have likely impressed her even more. I still can't believe the class where he let all those creatures loose and then fled, leaving it to the children to deal with them

Old September 16th, 2007, 10:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I still can't believe the class where he let all those creatures loose and then fled, leaving it to the children to deal with them
This incident cured Hermione of her admiration for Lockhart I think, I still wonder what possessed him to do a thing like that. Did he really believe he could handle the pixies...

Old September 17th, 2007, 2:44 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
This incident cured Hermione of her admiration for Lockhart I think, I still wonder what possessed him to do a thing like that. Did he really believe he could handle the pixies...
I think he thought he could or he would not have released them. I think he hoped to impress the students, but became scared to death, lol. His quick excuse was just laughable and I think a lot of the students saw through it - his reputation quickly falling in their eyes as he claimed to have been so brave and ferocious in his previous dealings with all things dark arts, lol. Poor Lockheart

I wonder what house he was in when he attended Hogwarts? He almost escapes every house description.

Old September 17th, 2007, 3:07 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I wonder what house he was in when he attended Hogwarts? He almost escapes every house description.
It's funny - I've always envisioned him as a Slytherin, but not because I think he's evil. It's because I see in him someone cunning enough to fake and charm his way to the top (no easy task), and someone who opted to try and save himself over saving Ginny until Harry and Ron forced his hand.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old September 17th, 2007, 3:29 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
It's funny - I've always envisioned him as a Slytherin, but not because I think he's evil. It's because I see in him someone cunning enough to fake and charm his way to the top (no easy task), and someone who opted to try and save himself over saving Ginny until Harry and Ron forced his hand.
Actually I had thought of Slytherin too....you gave really good reasons and better ones than I was thinking of. I was trying to think of people who were like him and could only come up with Crabbe and Goyle - so I thought Slytherin too, but not so good a reason, lol.

Old September 17th, 2007, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
I agree that Slytherin is the most logical house for Lockhart. I have read posts elsewhere that he might be suited in Hufflepuff, because he wasn't very accomplished. But that's very unfair to Hufflepuff which has proven to have had a lot of great wizards and witches. Slytherin would be perfect for him, shame we don't know if he is a pure-blood, but that's likely.

I wonder if Lockhart was a popular student at Hogwarts and among his house mates or that he only got this popular when he was of age and could help himself through magic all the time.

Old September 17th, 2007, 11:12 am
Lycanthrope

Well he was good looking, I would imagine he would be popular among the girls. But if he behaved in a daffy manner, then they would quickly lose interest I would imagine. I think he became more popular afterward when he published all of his untruthful grand works that told of his prowess, etc. That plus his good looks sold the books and made him popular - especially among women I would imagine.

Old September 18th, 2007, 11:07 pm
Second Year

To boost his publicity, I suppose. And students could be added to his fanbase.

No. I think that would have been cheesy.

Well, he didn't.

Pre-DH I would have said probably not. But if he was,it would only be a one liner comic relief or something. I mean, St. Mungo's is kind of a likely place to be for a book that's destined for injury and death.

Lockhart may have been lying about what he was doing, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know enough to teach. He had to interview all of his victims and write entire books! I'm sure his books matched up with a plausible way to defeat the vampire/banshee/whatever.

He was good looking. She was 13.

"Listening to the news! Again?"
"Well, it changes every day, you see."
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:09 pm
I want to believe

He likely wanted the recognition, since Hogwarts is a pretty prestigious school. I agree with CleanSweepSeven that he may have also thought the students could increase his fanbase.

I believe Rowling has said that Lockhart will not recover. And personally I like him better that way.

I believe he was very desperate to fill the position. Seeing as the job was cursed by Voldemort, Dumbledore knew that however bad he was, Lockhart would only hold that position for one year, and he knew that he'd have to replace the DADA teacher every year.

I guess she just had a crush on him. She was only 12 at the time anyway.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 23rd, 2007, 5:35 pm
First Year

Quote:
I agree that Slytherin is the most logical house for Lockhart. I have read posts elsewhere that he might be suited in Hufflepuff, because he wasn't very accomplished. But that's very unfair to Hufflepuff which has proven to have had a lot of great wizards and witches. Slytherin would be perfect for him, shame we don't know if he is a pure-blood, but that's likely.

I wonder if Lockhart was a popular student at Hogwarts and among his house mates or that he only got this popular when he was of age and could help himself through magic all the time.
Really? I always thought he was a Gryffindor. He seems to have all those bad traits like recklessness and glory-seeking. Okay, he's not brave but he values bravery so I think he chose Gryffindor. But I definitely agree that he was NOT a Hufflepuff. Anywhere but Hufflepuff.

I also think he might have been a late bloomer. So I think he wasn't popular until he left Hogwarts.

Old September 23rd, 2007, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorygirl View Post
Really? I always thought he was a Gryffindor. He seems to have all those bad traits like recklessness and glory-seeking. Okay, he's not brave but he values bravery so I think he chose Gryffindor. But I definitely agree that he was NOT a Hufflepuff. Anywhere but Hufflepuff.
He was definitely someone looking for glory in his life, but you could also call this ambition, which is a characteristic of Slytherins.

Somehow I can't see Lockhart as a Gryffindor, they wouldn't have tolerated a person like him, so unless he was a real loner I can't see him in that house.

Old September 24th, 2007, 4:22 am
Second Year

I think he might have been a Ravenclaw because you'd have to be pretty clever to track down accomplished people, interrogate them, erase their memories, and write books with enough correct detail to be convincing.

He might be considered not-so-smart because he thinks he's more famous than Harry, and is rude to the other teachers at Hogwarts, but remember, there are different kinds of intelligence and I think he demonstrated one kind by creating such a believable hoax.

"Listening to the news! Again?"
"Well, it changes every day, you see."
Old September 24th, 2007, 4:28 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanSweepSeven View Post
I think he might have been a Ravenclaw because you'd have to be pretty clever to track down accomplished people, interrogate them, erase their memories, and write books with enough correct detail to be convincing.

He might be considered not-so-smart because he thinks he's more famous than Harry, and is rude to the other teachers at Hogwarts, but remember, there are different kinds of intelligence and I think he demonstrated one kind by creating such a believable hoax.
Good point . I hadn't thought of it that way before, but it would take intelligence to concoct such a plan and execute it. Lockheart is growing more complex the further we explore this. I would have to lean toward Ravenclaw as well for a man of his character.

Old March 31st, 2008, 9:40 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

The reaction of the teachers to Lockhart was something I found quite shocking / surprising. Itís not a surprise to see Snape being caustic (or worse), letís face he does not tolerate fools well, but the fact that most of the teachers are glad to join in really surprised me. Itís not the fact that they donít feel respect for him (Personally I canít blame them for that) but that they actually bully him! Even McGonagall, who is scrupulously fair, joins in. It seemed odd to me and I wonder why did JKR do that? Any ideas?

Oh yes also at times I got the impression that their horror at him abated their distrust of Snape Ė could that have been part of the reason?

Oh, I get that! He was IMO a parody of fame, the shallow gloss that blinds us to reality. As well as a display that our preconceptions really get in the way of see reality. Who better to use to demonstrate this than Ďthe smartest witch of her ageí after all weíre all susceptible (IMO of course!)

Old April 1st, 2008, 8:13 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittling View Post

The reaction of the teachers to Lockhart was something I found quite shocking / surprising. Itís not a surprise to see Snape being caustic (or worse), letís face he does not tolerate fools well, but the fact that most of the teachers are glad to join in really surprised me. Itís not the fact that they donít feel respect for him (Personally I canít blame them for that) but that they actually bully him! Even McGonagall, who is scrupulously fair, joins in. It seemed odd to me and I wonder why did JKR do that? Any ideas?
Yes that was odd. He was only employed for the year (as all dark arts professors had been for eons), so it wouldn't have killed the staff to have shown him some respect at least. On the other hand, when he engaged in something that might endanger the students, then I would agree anyone who could was right to intervene.

As to why JKR likely did such a thing, well I personally believe that it was because he was a great means of adding humor to the story. Lots of things were done in humor that wasn't so grand from the point of view of the characters in the story (making their lives a bit harder or annoying).